• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soldier investigated for bragging about not saluting the flag on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

When will people learn how to use social media?

Source

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Fort Carson leaders have launched investigation into a "selfie" photo of a Fort Carson soldier who said she was hiding in her car to avoid saluting the flag went viral Tuesday, drawing a storm of criticism.

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey, of the posts's 43rd Sustainment Group posted the image to her Instagram account with a caption that read, "This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, (acronym for I don't give an obscenity)."

Fort Carson officials say soldiers caught not saluting at the 5 p.m. "retreat" ceremony for the lowering of the American ensign are subject to an "on the spot correction" - essentially a loud, one-sided discussion with a sergeant.

It's one of two events per day that require soldiers to stop what they're doing - even pull over and get out of their cars - to salute the flag in an act of tradition and military courtesy.

But Sheffey took the issue to a different level with her social media post. A quick Google search returned thousands of Internet entries for the quartermaster soldier. She was pilloried in hundreds of Twitter postings and thousands of Facebook comments.

Her picture went around the globe, drawing as much or more social media attention than Defense Secretary Monday's proposal to cut the Army to pre-World War II levels.

The Army, alerted by complaints over the photo Tuesday, reacted at the highest levels. Fort Carson held a news conference with one of its most senior colonels in response to media attention.

The Army is taking the incident seriously and has launched a probe that could result in discipline, said Col. Heidi Hoyle, special assistant to 4th Infantry Division commander.

"A soldier is required to salute," Hoyle said.

At worst, the incident could lead to a court martial for insubordination or failure to obey regulations. If convicted for those crimes, a soldier could face up to two years in prison.

Cases of this nature, though are generally handled through administrative punishment, that can cost a soldier rank and pay. Administrative punishments are kept secret by the Army under the provisions of the Privacy Act.

Hoyle said she couldn't discuss specifics of the case because the investigation was underway.

Fort Carson sources said the incident had drawn scrutiny at the highest levels - a sign of Pentagon concern.

According to an Army Times report, Sheffey followed up with a video on Instagram Tuesday to express regret for the photograph, but stopped short of an apology, saying, "I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That s*** to me was not that serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier and I really appreciate you all."

The military is especially sensitive of online criticism this month.

This is the third incident within two weeks in which troops have come under scrutiny for photographs posted on social media went viral and sparked outrage from the public.

Several Wisconsin National Guard members were suspended from funeral honors detail last week after an image posted on social media showed them posing around a casket covered with the U.S. flag.

An Air Force sergeant was also the subject of an investigation after a three-year-old photo of her kissing a Prisoner of War-Missing in Action symbol surfaced online.

royalan

"I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That s*** to me was not that serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier and I really appreciate you all."

Could have fooled me.

Ugh. I don't care if she doesn't salute the flag, but you were dumb enough to brag about it?

You deserve the shit that's coming to you.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
People really have to stop snitching on themselves on Facebook, same goes for twitter if the post RL pictures/ their names to it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sounds like the brainwashing didn't go deep enough.

Super dumb to post it publicly though. Just hide in your car like a pussy in secret, sheesh. And it wasn't even a political statement?

Monocle

I am scandalized that a soldier from my country isn't overjoyed to participate in a rote display of enforced patriotism.

Maybe not a good idea to broadcast it across the internet, but yeah.

antonz

That "shit" may not be that serious to you sweetie but the Military has a different viewpoint. Should have kept your mouth shut and played the good soldier.

Ingrate

Banned
she just likes to rile people up I think. It's her shtick.

sheffeynation.jpeg

BigDug13

The part where they said you're supposed to get out of your car to salute is wrong. If you're driving on the base when "colors" happens, you're just supposed to stop your car until it's done.

And even the diehard military officers might not go outside a few minutes before 0800 because they don't want to be stuck there saluting for the entire national anthem. Being indoors shields you from the requirement so you wait inside until colors is over.

It's asinine that this requires taxpayer money spent on an "investigation". Scary stuff.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I'm saluting the ridiculousness of this situation.

linkboy

The part where they said you're supposed to get out of your car to salute is wrong. If you're driving on the base when "colors" happens, you're just supposed to stop your car until it's done.

And even the diehard military officers might not go outside a few minutes before 0800 because they don't want to be stuck there saluting for the entire national anthem. Being indoors shields you from the requirement so you wait inside until colors is over.

It's asinine that this requires taxpayer money spent on an "investigation". Scary stuff.

However, if you're outside of your car when the music starts playing and you ignore it and get in your car (or duck inside a building to ignore it), you can be ordered back out if a higher ranking person sees you do it.

jorma

is now taking requests
I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now.
At her
At the US army
At everyone who got themselves riled up by her obvious trolling

akira28

not smart.

I'm rolling my eyes so hard right now.
At her
At the US army
At everyone who got themselves riled up by her obvious trolling

you can troll a lot of people. but usually not a federal body or a branch of the military. They don't have much of a sense of humor. They roll the book up like a magazine and swat you like a fly just out of sheer principle.

BigDug13

However, if you're outside of your car when the music starts playing and you ignore it and get in your car (or duck inside a building to ignore it, you can be ordered back out if a higher ranking person sees you do it.

Oh definitely. If you're outside and you get caught out there when the music starts, you stay there and do your thing. It's cheesy and wrong to try to run and duck inside somewhere. But the article says if you're in your car you're supposed to stop the car and get out to salute. That has not been my experience in my 20 year Naval career.

I'm in the Air Force, and I have never even once seen someone get out of their car to salute the flag. I always thought you just couldn't be driving if you're in your car during that time.

Is this an army only thing? Been on marine/navy bases all my childhood and don't remember people having to pull over and such nonsense.

Ingrate

Banned
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_25.pdf

article writer probably read this.

Appendix C
Courtesies Rendered by Individuals During Various Ceremonies and Public Events (On and
Off Post)

C–2. During ceremonies
When ceremonies (excluding military funerals) are being conducted, moving vehicles will be brought to a halt. Military
passengers and drivers will dismount and render the appropriate courtesy.

alstein

What a moron.

Besides, if you're not into the whole saluting the flag thing, why join the military?

In the US, it's the best way to get a second chance in life.

To me, this is no different than folks deciding to wait until 5:05 to go out instead of 4:55 to avoid retreat. She's a dumbass for posting that, but the main thing she's guilty of is being a dumbass. If you're active duty, you've saluted the flag 1000+ times , 1001 isn't going to make you any better at what you do.

Walshicus

No, they bled for their mates next to them or because they were ordered to do so. The flag is a piece of fabric. I think it's disrespectful to say anyone died for a piece of fabric, that wasn't why I joined the Army.

This.

Personally I think it's obscene the amount of energy that people expend defending said cloth, while still acting like fucks toward their countrymen and women.

I can hear the National Anthem by my house, it's loud as hell but the weird thing is, is that I usually only hear it when I want to. Guess I learned to tune it out when I want to.

On topic, that was pretty dumb of her. I bet I will see a ton of posts about it later on my fb newsfeed haha.

YoungHav

Banned
The appeal to authority in this thread. Anyone riled up by this seriously needs a life. What? She's not going to soldier heaven if she dies in combat?

Alienous

A respectful soldier wouldn't brag about not doing something they are expected to do as a soldier. Of all the professions this is probably the worst one to refuse orders in.

Ourobolus

Banned
The appeal to authority in this thread. Anyone riled up by this seriously needs a life. What? She's not going to soldier heaven if she dies in combat?
I'm not angry she didn't salute (god knows everyone in the military has done something at least once to not stand and salute during retreat). I'm angry that she's a goddamn idiot.

Alienous

No, they bled for their mates next to them or because they were ordered to do so. The flag is a piece of fabric. I think it's disrespectful to say anyone died for a piece of fabric, that wasn't why I joined the Army.

They bled for what the flag represents, then? Seems like an issue of semantics. Nobody is suggesting the people died over a made in China piece of red, white and blue fabric. I mean, clearly. The flag represents the American ideals, and saluting it shows a respect and 'comradery' under those ideals, with all of your fellow soldiers. Truly disrespectful is sometime opting out because "IDGAF".

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Oh definitely. If you're outside and you get caught out there when the music starts, you stay there and do your thing. It's cheesy and wrong to try to run and duck inside somewhere. But the article says if you're in your car you're supposed to stop the car and get out to salute. That has not been my experience in my 20 year Naval career.

I'm in the Air Force, and I have never even once seen someone get out of their car to salute the flag. I always thought you just couldn't be driving if you're in your car during that time.

Don't know about now, but up until 96' people got out of their cars at Fort Riley. It was mainly around all the combat units since it was a huge circular road up there. If you attempted to sit in your car or duck into a building you were pretty much screwed.

Kurtofan

Fuck all flags.

They bled for what the flag represents, then? Seems like an issue of semantics. Nobody is suggesting the people died over a made in China piece of red, white and blue fabric. I mean, clearly. The flag represents the American ideals, and saluting it shows a respect and 'comradery' under those ideals, with all of your fellow soldiers. Truly disrespectful is sometime opting out because "IDGAF".

it also represents the invasion of Iraq and other nice stuff like that, there are no good flag.

FyreWulff

Flag worship is a terrible thing and most military try to avoid being caught outside during this so it's more like one of those things that people outside of the military care way more about than ones actually in it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think I've seen dozens of people avoid it. Like staying inside at 4:55-4:59 to avoid the daily song at 5pm. Even seen people run inside when it starts playing.

Anyways, stupid to brag about it.

I got yelled at once for running inside a minute before the 1700 flag.
Almost everyone in the military avoids getting caught outside when the flag is going off.

What a fucking dumbass. People stay snitching on themselves with social media. Jesus. Trying to look cute got her fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom