• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

I don't care what people say. I've waited a decade to play this game at long last and I'm going to damn well enjoy it.
You will eat those words.

Given your avatar I would have thought you have a perfect source for a Rouge picture Green Scar.
l9sJ6.jpg

I demand this be made Rouge's OT picture.

ffdgh

Tis a shame battle mode is dlc. It was fun playing as the other characters.

I wonder will they leave in the big cameos that activate when pressing a certain button.

The Sonic/Shadow stages are incredible, especially the final level. White knuckle intense.

This. The problem was with everything that wasn't Sonic/Shadow... but Sonic Team knew they couldn't make a whole game just the two, their levels must have been expensive to make and tune compared to the Tails/Eggman levels which probably took next to none by comparison.

ArjanN

Seriously? No date for PC at all? O_O

I think it was the same for Jet Set Radio HD, and that came out about the same time.
I'm guessing PC version of this (and Nights HD) will be released the same time give or take a day or two.

Still Kind of odd though given that Sega probably makes most of it's money on PC now.

WillyFive

This. The problem was with everything that wasn't Sonic/Shadow... but Sonic Team knew they couldn't make a whole game just the two, their levels must have been expensive to make and tune compared to the Tails/Eggman levels which probably took next to none by comparison.

Nah, I found the Tails/Eggman stages to very fun and well done. The (in my opinion) bad parts where the Knuckles/Rouge levels, and even then I admit they were improvements over SA1's equivalents.

Chuckpebble

l9sJ6.jpg

Interesting thought provoked by this image.
Bats actually DO have mammary glands.
If anyone is daringly proficient at Photoshop, one of my search results suggested that they're actually directly under the wings, kinda like the armpit region.

If Sega really knew how to rake in the rings this would be DLC.

Also Treasure Hunting>Mech stages
For me Mech stages survive on the sheer novelty of playing as Eggman and his various quips from getting high combos, Tails on the other hand has quite possibly the most bland stages in the game but I guess we get the mission street music from him at least.

Honestly, SA2 is my favorite 3D Sonic. I really dislike the style of 3D Sonic SEGA switched to after Sonic '06 sucked and they started with the "run in a straight line"-fest in Sonic Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed.

That said, SA2 definitely felt more like an unpolished game, but I had much more fun with it. Most of the reason I was able to get through it was its awesome soundtrack.

There was a time I exclusively listened to the Biolizard and the Chao Lobby on my mp3 player...

zoukka

I remember seeing this game for the first time. It was a level where sonic ran through a highway and some teenage soft-rock was playing.

My childhood ended at that moment. So did the Sonic series.

IrishNinja

damn, way too many classics for PSN in october...at least spending that $100 won't be hard.

lost so many hours to the knuckles' multiplayer hot/cold emerald game, no idea why so few people enjoyed that like i did with friends. right below toy commander or whatever that other great DC one was.

Odrion

Banned
This game is pretty amazing in hindsight. It was definitely at the height of "Sonic and his shitty friends" though.

Neiteio

This game's soundtrack is god-tier. As for the game itself, it strikes me as the RE6 of the Sonic games -- jack of all trades, master of none, but so much variety and content packed in that you can't help but admire it on some level.

GimMick

Excellent OT LMAO. Now I sort of want dust out my GC disc to play the game again.

And now I realise it was released half of my lifetime ago... Only game that made me cry IRL :(

You didn't make us eat those words in the title, Green Scar.

An exciting |OT|, ruined because of this one extremely minor molehill that I insist is now a mountain >:O

I think what first struck me as disappointing was that there were essentially only three characters. More specifically Tails and Robotnik playing the same!!! And Rouge from out of no where. Would've prefered more Big the Cat, tbh.

Might still get it, though.

I love SA2 for what it is, played through hero and dark only at the start of this year and looking forward to doing it all over again in HD and with cheevos.

I think what first struck me as disappointing was that there were essentially only three characters. More specifically Tails and Robotnik playing the same!!! And Rouge from out of no where. Would've prefered more Big the Cat, tbh.

I'm trying to imagine Big the Cat in Rouge's place.

Watching Big glide all over the place and dig underground? That's... actually pretty hilarious.

Kokonoe

Banned

This is actually the first time I've seen this without it being a joke. Did you enjoy his fishing? or perhaps are you suggesting a new style to Big?

Also, if it makes you feel any better, the DLC includes Big The Cat for multiplayer. It's not much, but it's still something I suppose for Big The Cat fans.

Watching Big glide all over the place and dig underground? That's... actually pretty hilarious.

AND THIS! This right here is the beauty of when this game comes to PC. The mods.

Oreoleo

I don't know if I should bother with this. My mind is telling me no, but my body.. my body is telling me yes.

As far as ports go is this looking more JSR or more SA1?

This is actually the first time I've seen this without it being a joke. Did you enjoy his fishing? or perhaps are you suggesting a new style to Big?

Also, if it makes you feel any better, the DLC includes Big The Cat for multiplayer. It's not much, but it's still something I suppose for Big The Cat fans.

I thought it was the strongest way to make my point, really. To say I'd rather play as a character just about everyone seems to hate. I wasn't particularly bothered by his levels, but didn't like them either. I thought it was a silly diversion from the real game that felt pretty packed to me, with so many characters. Tails and Robotnik feeling exactly the same, knowing Tails was different in the first game kinda ruined it all for me. And Rouge.

AND THIS! This right here is the beauty of when this game comes to PC. The mods.

lol

Kokonoe

Banned
I thought it was the strongest way to make my point, really. To say I'd rather play as a character just about everyone seems to hate. I wasn't particularly bothered by his levels, but didn't like them either. I thought it was a silly diversion from the real game that felt pretty packed to me, with so many characters. Tails and Robotnik feeling exactly the same, knowing Tails was different in the first game kinda ruined it all for me. And Rouge.

lol

Well I didn't like his fishing personally, although I do like the character because I think it's well designed, and doesn't fit the general mold of slender/"cute" mary sue characters that save the day. His intentions were to save his friend, and he was just a cat living somewhere in the woods.

Although for the different modes, I guess more modes wouldn't hurt, but I honestly like playing the Gamma Version 2 levels(Eggman/Tails), with the slight differences in their mechanics when they obtain more power ups. However, I like everything about SA2 besides Crazy Gadget, so yeah.

drspeedy

this. A million thousand times this. Big was dumb and maybe didn't add a lot to the game, but at least his levels weren't just copy/paste gameplay. Can anyone here honestly say they liked the crappy She-Knuckles gem hunts, especially with that grating, overdone Dorothy Gale voice acting?

damn, way too many classics for PSN in october...at least spending that $100 won't be hard.

lost so many hours to the knuckles' multiplayer hot/cold emerald game, no idea why so few people enjoyed that like i did with friends. right below toy commander or whatever that other great DC one was.
There was some fun in playing it like a messed up fighter, I remember getting hit the bolt attack on Pumpkin hill which knocked me onto the train tracks, the reversed controls caused me to then get promptly run over, good times.

That title.

You swine.

You know full well I utterly hate this game.

Good work on the OP, glad to see my synopsis has found a purpose, though I really really do hate this crap crap game.

WillyFive

this. A million thousand times this. Big was dumb and maybe didn't add a lot to the game, but at least his levels weren't just copy/paste gameplay. Can anyone here honestly say they liked the crappy She-Knuckles gem hunts, especially with that grating, overdone Dorothy Gale voice acting?

Copy/Paste gameplay? They were different levels from Knuckles; it's not like Big where not only you had to suffer through terrible gameplay, his levels were walled off versions of the regular ones. Rogue actually brought content to the game.

Silvawuff

Fantastic OT. It's perfect!

I remember playing this originally on the Dreamcast and enjoying it. Even with the HD update, I'm hesitant to see how it aged.

Top Bottom