• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

excuse me but dr. robotnik's grandfather made the giant space lizard in order to create immortality based on ancient echinda ruins of Chaos and cure his granddaughter's space-AIDS

get it right, fucklord

ARE YOU READY FOR 1000+ HOURS OF CHAO RAISING?

I'M READY FOR 1000+ HOURS OF CHAO RAISING*!

*With some weird-ass Sonic game attached, I guess.

WillyFive

I would have been around 20 I think. I always liked Sonic and Tails as characters but everybody else was\is stupid, imo.

It was a dramatic departure from the cutesy Mickey Mouse-style Sonic from before; which would be very alienating if you grew up with the Genesis games.

Kokonoe

Banned
The moral choice (Good Team/Bad Team) was just starting to take off around that time, a lot of games after and around Adventure 2's release were giving the choice to play either side. Playing as Eggman was neat.

Pretty much, man. Since SEGA refuses to recognize the universal cute-i-ful nature of Chao and give them a more comprehensive game and raising system, people are going to need SA2:B in the meantime.

I'm always surprised when people say they didn't like this game. It was one of the highlights of my childhood personally. It'll be interesting to go back now and see how it holds up

I'm always surprised when people say they didn't like this game. It was one of the highlights of my childhood personally. It'll be interesting to go back now and see how it holds up

I think most of the people who say they didn't like the game were probably past childhood when they played it.

chris3116

I liked the game on both Dreamcast and GameCube. However, I think the game didn't age very well. The music is kind of cheesy and the camera sucked most of the time. What I'm surprised is there's no Wii U version. Sonic and Nintendo consoles are always a good pair in sales. Could Sega release the Wii U version around the same time as the PC version ?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That title.

You swine.

You know full well I utterly hate this game.

Good work on the OP, glad to see my synopsis has found a purpose, though I really really do hate this crap crap game.
It's really terrible. I somehow made it all the way through to NEAR the ending, to the part where you have to play as all 6 characters in quick succession, and then just went "nah fuck this game" and never went back.

Miutsu

Hell NO! As much as I enjoyed the game and spent hours and hours in the chaos garden, I'm not willing to waste that time again, well, exactly because I already did it once :(

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm only spending the time on the Chao Garden when the PC release happens so I can feel a bit safer with the save file. That, and it's going to be how I mainly play it when it comes out.

Christopher

I loved Sonic Adventure and played the shit out of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on Gamecube I think I'm Sonic Adventure 2'd out....

Did they redo the graphics?

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be great if they changed the requirements to unlock
Green Hill Zone
, since I really don't feel like raising a Chao.

Kokonoe

Banned
Green Hill Zone

I hope so too, even as much as I like Sonic Adventure 2, I still used an Action Replay for that.

It's the better Tamagotchi. In the process of making one of the more divisive Sonic games ever, Sonic Team created one of the greatest side-attractions ever. Holy shit.

"Better than Tamagotchi" was my suggestion for this thread's title actually. Yeah, it really is superb. It's what kept me coming back to the game for many years.

BiggNife

Not going to lie, I've kinda had the urge to play SA2 again. I haven't played it since it came out on Gamecube, and it looks like this game holds up better than SA1 at least. Plus I have $10 just hanging out in my PSN wallet, so...

TreIII

It's really terrible. I somehow made it all the way through to NEAR the ending, to the part where you have to play as all 6 characters in quick succession, and then just went "nah fuck this game" and never went back.

I stomached the whole thing. I suppose the one positive is that buying the DC release turned me on to PSO through that demo...

Green Hill Zone
If you nabbed the PC version, you could probably download some kind of Über-chao and just breeze through the races that the emblems are tied to.

True story: my original OP concept was devoting like a paragraph to the actual game, and spending the rest of the time talking about Chao raising. But summing up SA2 in about 5 lines or so is really hard

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'll make you eat thoI'll show you who the fI'll make you eat thoI'll show yoImpossible. I am... the ultimate... life....

please add this OP to the OP, re: Chao Karate
A mode where you pit your Chao against other Chao in a display of thrilling and mind bending martial arts, a gripping tourney that involves singles matches of two infants forced to waddle up to one another and lay the smack down by their cruel owners pushed onward by a frenzied crowd, and when you come across an opponent with a slightly different stance than your chao you realize that you're out of your league and you must witness the swift slaughter of your chosen chao, there will be tears.

True story: my original OP concept was devoting like a paragraph to the actual game, and spending the rest of the time talking about Chao raising. But summing up SA2 in about 5 lines or so is really hard
Eggman's grandfather Gerald Robotnik created a Sonic-lookalike called Shadow on a space colony called ARK in an attempt to create a cure for this awful disease his granddaughter Maria Robotnik has but the military double-crossed him at the last minute, killed his granddaughter and locked away both Gerald and Shadow, eventually killing Gerald but not before he could brainwash Shadow and install a death ray into the space colony in question in an attempt to destroy the entire planet in retaliation but also had a mode where the ARK's orbit would decay and smash into the planet in another attempt to destroy the entire planet in retaliation.

Eggman learns about Shadow but pretty much none of the other shit from the previous sentence and so breaks into a high-security military base to break out Shadow, leading the colorblind military to arrest Sonic despite the hedgehog having saved the planet several times over because he happens to look like the escaped prisoner, which gets Tails and Amy involved as they go about rescuing Sonic from the military.

Dr. Eggman meanwhile learns about the cannon his grandpa made from Shadow, who's hiding the whole "I'm going to kill everyone on the Earth to avenge Maria" thing that Gerald implanted in his head from everyone, and goes on a quest to grab all the chaos emeralds which scattered since the end of the first Sonic Adventure, accompanied by Shadow and newcomer Rouge the bat, self-proclaimed treasure hunter who was after the Master Emerald until her boss told her to infiltrate Eggman's group and keep tabs on what he's doing, and yet didn't give her explicit orders to stop him at any point, meaning she actively helps in his plan to take over the world, even at the expense of several members of the militia she's supposedly on the same side as.

Sonic learns of Eggman's trickery and tries to stop him from getting all the emeralds, but being cooped up in a prison means Eggman already has six by the time he's broken out, a fact that Eggman flaunts as he blows up half the moon (in an event that later entries mistakenly ignore by depicting a fully-intact moon) and threatens to do the same to any country on Earth that doesn't submit to him within 24 hours, without any regards to the size of the country and collateral, meaning that while a large country like China could be wiped out without too much issue, if a country like Israel started to act indignant and rattle sabers with Eggman much like they rattle sabers with Iran in real life then Eggman would probably wipe out Jordan, Syria, Egypt and Saudi Arabia at the same time.

Now the stage is set for an action-packed adventure where you can either save the Earth as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (who is mostly after shards of the Master Emerald after he deliberately broke it to prevent it from falling into the hands of Rouge and Eggman, the latter trying to steal it without thinking about how the laser cannon in the ARK only has slots for the seven Chaos Emeralds and not a giant honking one for the Master Emerald), or destroy the Earth as Shadow, Eggman and Rouge across three different gameplay types - Speed (basically Sonic's story from the first Adventure, but arguably better), Shooting (basically Gamma's story from the first game, but with a health bar and without the countdown timer that's extended by shooting combos) and Hunting (basically Knuckles's story from the first game, only much worse since you have to go for the emeralds in one very specific order and can only stumble upon later pieces by sheer luck), only you can't choose which order you do the gameplay styles in unlike last game, as you're forced to play as a given character at a specific point in the plot whether you like it or not, with the only choice being whether you see the plot from the heroes' side or the villains' side.

There, five sentences. Now, about those Chao...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love you, Green Scar -- just for the OP.

Green Scar said:
167.theitchy26scratchzhui2.jpg
I love ya, man. A SonicGAF joke is immortalized in this very OT.

Top Bottom