• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD |OT| googoo g'joob googoo g'joob

brumx

The Sonics where never great just graphics and sound showoffs for their time cause they where the first games of the new generation. But I prefer SA1 it was closer to the 16bit games and had much better textures and colors of all the games to now.

drspeedy

The Sonics where never great just graphics and sound showoffs for their time cause they where the first games of the new generation. But I prefer SA1 it was closer to the 16bit games and had much better textures and colors of all the games to now.

SA1 was easily the best Sonic for me- until Sonic Colors, it's almost perfection.

Rlan

So has anyone actually unlocked Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2 HD? Do you need just the 150 emblems, or the 180 from the Battle DLC? Not even a video of it online...

I think Green Hill is one of the best levels in the game, really, because it makes an effort to preserve the structure of the original Sonic 1 stage and as such there's a lot of different ways to get to the goal.

I wish more of SA2 was designed like that.

Are the PS3 version's saves locked? Maybe I can download a completed save and finally play that level. :p

I did it via nullDC, personally. :p

I don't think I will ever, ever have the dedication to get all 180 emblems. At least something like the medals in Sonic Unleashed are usually just tedious instead of being difficult, but here, some of those missions are really damn hard! I feel like I topped out at 90 or 100 on the Dreamcast version.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I don't think I will ever, ever have the dedication to get all 180 emblems. At least something like the medals in Sonic Unleashed are usually just tedious instead of being difficult, but here, some of those missions are really damn hard! I feel like I topped out at 90 or 100 on the Dreamcast version.

I got all emblems on GameCube, but I am still undecided on if I try to get them again. I got quite a lot of A-Ranks, but to get all 180 Emblems, I'd have to

[*] get an A-Rank in Mad Space, which is just luck
[*] raise those horrible Chao things for those emblems, it's horrid.

But what is it about the 150 emblems, are there any emblems you can only get when you buy the dlc? Because on Dreamcast there also were 180 emblems, weren't there? And Dreamcast didn't have the Battle-content.

What. I can't remember seeing these at all. Are they only in the 360 game or something?

Lazy screencap from my livestream:

juHq0.png

There's a lot of things about them that are really dumb. The biggest problem is that the loading screens are so brief you basically have almost no time to actually read them. Also, they basically tell you about things you sometimes won't encounter until near the end of the game - literally the first Omochao hint I saw was telling me how to use Magic Hands as Sonic, and that's kinda supposed to be an easter egg.

MNC

Something about Eggman's grandfather experimenting with creating an ultimate lifeform based on lizards (due to regeneration and whatever), but then finding an ancient mural with an hedgehog design and so he used that as a new base for the ultimate lifeform project.

(Don't ask me where I heard this, I honestly don't remember where, it might even not be accurate at all).

I think this is a theory based on one of the final levels of Sonic & Knuckles, that shows an ancient creature that looks like Sonic on a mural.

...Oh god, I remember that now

Yeah, people tied it into the mural from S3&K's Hidden Palace Zone, the room where you fight Knuckles. I forget, was something similar in the mural in SA1's Lost World, or did that only show Perfect Chaos?

...Holy shit. That's even more mindblowing than all the other Sonic facts in the facts thread.

Piers

Incidentally, wasn't the Biolizard based on Perfect Chaos? Cannon's Core hinted at it with a water-slide reminiscent of Lost World, a duplicate of the Emerald shrine and Biolizard's roar having part of Perfect Chaos's as well. (Made incredibly goofy with that elephant yell) Still can't remember why that thing was released in the first place, though.

The theory of Shadow being based on the mural does makes sense, particularly since his design is effectively Super Sonic in appearance.

PowderedToast

playing this on DC again through VGA since i can't bring myself to buy the port. definitely the point where the series jumped the shark. it's almost like sonic team did everything they could to avoid creating sonic levels. such awful filler. not to mention everything about the movement, controls, modelling (sonic's creepy ass long legs) and level design is a downgrade from SA1.

the plot is also a misfire. unlike SA1, it's not charming, it's just fucking weird.

What did you guys think about the exclusion of Adventure Fields? Good or Bad?
Although I didn't mind the Adventure fields in the first game (it was fun dicking with the physics engine in them), I struggle to think of any way Sonic Adventure 2 could've had even remotely coherent ones.

Christopher

Although I didn't mind the Adventure fields in the first game (it was fun dicking with the physics engine in them), I struggle to think of any way Sonic Adventure 2 could've had even remotely coherent ones.

Three Big Ones:

Station Square

Prision Island

Space Colony Ark

Emitan

I don't mind Adventure Fields as long as I know where to go next. I'd be fine with a Mario Galaxy 2-esque level select screen as well.

TheContact

Cool, I'm probably going to pick this up on PSN. I don't do much console gaming on the couch anymore, but I have my PS3 in the bedroom so at night I'll get around to playing this. The first one for the Dreamcast was my favorite Sonic game.

Roto13

In the GCN version, I completed all of the missions but didn't get the ones for A ranking everything.

WillyFive

One of the things that really disappointed me about SA2 coming off from SA1 was the lack of adventure fields. Christopher and Slygmous do have good ideas.

Three Big Ones:

Station Square

Prision Island

Space Colony Ark
4: "Desert Area"
I thought that SA2 features Central City instead of Station Square? Admittedly there's nothing in-game to discredit either theory, but I recall the name floating around before Shadow the Hedgehog confirmed, at least, that Central City was "the capital", just as SA2 confirmed the nameless San Francisco expy was also "the capital city". And before somebody goes "bububut Washington DC!", apparently this entire country is Empire City, according to Unleashed.

Geography in Sonic games is weird.

Anyway, it'd still feel kind of off. Prison Island, for instance:
It a splodes around the 33-50% mark, so there wouldn't really be anything to revisit (although it'd make no less sense than accessing Sky Deck from a seaborne Egg Carrier, I suppose)

Also, SA1 only let you access stages the character you were controlling could actively enter. How would this carry over to SA2? Would your character automatically change when you enter the appropriate stage? Would you have to access some kind of "character change station" or something to swap to the correct character before entering? Would it Tails and Eggman be in their mechs, or would they run mechless a la the Chao Gardens?

Adventure fields didn't add that much to the cohesion of SA1 for me, a few areas like stages inside the Egg Carrier, Lost World and Emerald Coast made sense but others still felt pretty farfetched.
Walking through the jungle, one icy cavern off the path from the master emerald leads me to a snowy mountain, just a few steps down the road opposite the master emerald shrine though is a Volcano, back in the main jungle I walk through a cave that leads to a desert which based on map positioning is at the bottom of the snowy mountain, yeah mystic ruins sure is something. Areas in SS made more sense but these areas should be visible in the background or something (see Mario Sunshine) because they still felt pretty detached to me, as such I think SA2 could have pulled adventure fields off if it wanted to but i'm happier with the map screen on the level select.

These days the hub just feels like busywork, it's passable but not something I really want back, hubs in Unleashed were okay I guess, you could jump straight to stages from the map screen once you unlocked them as well.

Walking through the jungle, one icy cavern off the path from the master emerald leads me to a snowy mountain, just a few steps down the road opposite the master emerald shrine though is a Volcano, back in the main jungle I walk through a cave that leads to a desert which based on map positioning is at the bottom of the snowy mountain, yeah mystic ruins sure is something.
My understanding is that the volcano, snowy mountain and Master Emerald shrine were all part of Angel Island. Basically, that wall with the hole in it nearby the train station was part of the fallen island's underside.

So, no, the desert wasn't at the foot of a snowy mountain originally.

Christopher

So I bit the bullet and downloaded it man I loved sonic adventure one and two in the day and still do great games

To be honest knuckles rogue stages are the worst bigs stages are more fun

Rlan

So who here picked up the PSN version of the game?

Could someone check the Leaderboards for me? There should be a "total" counter on the City Escape stage with the amount of players, and I need that for my analysis. Could someone tell me? :)

Has Sega said anything about the PC version yet? I was hyped about it after Jet Set turned out good and then they just pulled the rug out from under us.

Anth0ny

Just finished playing through the game on XBLA. For a second, I thought it wouldn't hold up.

Wrong. Adventure 2 is without a doubt the best 3D Sonic game (besides Generations, but that's thanks to the Classic Sonic gameplay). The Sonic and Shadow stages are fantastic, and it's an absolute crime there aren't more, and how butchered the gameplay was in Sonic 06.

That being said, I'd still rather play a full game of Eggman/Tails or Rouge/Knuckles stages than Sonic Colors 2, real talk. They are fun as hell, especially when you're going for an A rank. Complaints of taking 45 minutes to finish a Knuckles stage are RIDICULOUS. The longest I took to finish one was Mad Space. Without using the computers: 6 minutes 45 seconds. They aren't as fun as the Hedgehog stages, without a doubt, but the hate they get is totally unwarranted imo.

Except the kart racer stages. Hate away. Those suck ass.

The music in this game is FANTASTIC. I don't think I fully appreciated it as a kid, but I could listen to the whole thing. Sonic and Knuckles' stages stand out in particular. So good.

Tails' voice actor is fucking hilariously bad. It's a kid, right? Must have been his first gig or something. Sooooooo bad :lol

Chao Garden is super godlike. Bring that shit back, Sega! Make it an iOS app or some shit.

Time to collect every emblem. Wish me luck.

qq more

Anth0ny still hasn't proven he's played Sonic Colors.
Seriously, how can you play Colors and seriously say you held forward to win with a straight face?

He even thinks 06 is better than the Modern Sonic portion of Generations. I've never seen someone with such hatred for Boost gameplay.

WillyFive

Classic Sonic was the weakest portion of Generations. The Modern Sonic gameplay was where all the greatness was, they were exhilarating and madly replayable and speedrun-able. By comparison, the 2D sections were frustrating and boring. From now on, Sonic games should try to improve upon Modern Sonic with 60 fps and more responsive controls, and it will be perfect.

Seik

Banned
Seriously, how can you play Colors and seriously say you held forward to win with a straight face?

He even thinks 06 is better than the Modern Sonic portion of Generations. I've never seen someone with such hatred for Boost gameplay.

Seriously?

Anth0ny, give it a shot man, Colors is quite better than what you think, boost or not. D:

qq more

Classic Sonic was the weakest portion of Generations. The Modern Sonic gameplay was where all the greatness was, they were exhilarating and madly replayable and speedrun-able. By comparison, the 2D sections were frustrating and boring. From now on, Sonic games should try to improve upon Modern Sonic with 60 fps and more responsive controls, and it will be perfect.

What? No. Classic was fine outside of a few quirks.

But I agree that Modern Sonic's gameplay was really good. The best I've seen of 3D Sonic.

Top Bottom