• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Kard8p3

AzureJericho said:
You know, Planet Wisp trifecta of tracks is seriously one of the main reason I got hyped at Colors' music to begin with, but after a couple dozen replays, I think Sweet Mountain Act 2 might be a contender for the throne that Planet Wisp Act 2 reigns upon. The transition from the 40s-50s esque jazz band horns section to that conga line to the actual guitar is handled so fucking masterfully. Jeez, and I though soundtrack wise nothing could personally top Super Mario Galaxy 2... :lol

Yeah it's definitely a great soundtrack. It seems like everything came together for this game.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet but a demo for the DS version is available on the Nintendo Channel.

It's not bad. Seems better than Sonic 4, for what it's worth.

RobbieNick

Damn! Having such a great time listening to the Colors Soundtrack. Is that a tiny sampling of Super Mario music I hear on the first boss?

Trying hard not to spoil too much for myself, but I watched Starlight Carnival Act 1. It's insane!

Love the banter between Eggman and Sonic. Reminds me of the old cartooons.

Eggman - This time, and I mean it, NOTHING will stop me! (Just then, Sonic shows up.)

Sonic - Who are you callin' "Nothing"?
:lol

Kard8p3

RobbieNick said:
Damn! Having such a great time listening to the Colors Soundtrack. Is that a tiny sampling of Super Mario music I hear on the first boss?

Trying hard not to spoil too much for myself, but I watched Starlight Carnival Act 1. It's insane!

Love the banter between Eggman and Sonic. Reminds me of the old cartooons.

Eggman - This time, and I mean it, NOTHING will stop me! (Just then, Sonic shows up.)

Sonic - Who are you callin' "Nothing"?
:lol

I've watched a few of the cutscenes and it's amazing how perfectly they've nailed it with this game. The writing and the delivery of the lines just seems perfect. These guys should write every sonic game from now on.

RobbieNick

Kard8p3 said:
I've watched a few of the cutscenes and it's amazing how perfectly they've nailed it with this game. The writing and the delivery of the lines just seems perfect. These guys should write every sonic game from now on.

Agreed. It reminds me of the old AoS days. Get lost drama furrys! Sonic's a funny cartoon character again!:lol

"Please enjoy our new and improved water slide. Now with 20% less raw sewage!"

Luigiv

Been listening to the OST...

It's... Too... Good!...*

Hell has surely frozen over.

Edit:
* Except for the CashCash abomination. That can go die in a fire.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Obsessed said:
Exploration was a huge part of Sonic 1-3&K. What the fuck are you smoking?
Despite the secret rings in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it was just finding different ways through the levels while staying fast or goodies like lives / ring boxes. What I'm speaking of is searching for hidden must-find objects in the game world. That always sucked in Sonic, and I've intensely played nearly every Sonic game released. Non-smoker here by the way.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I finally finished watching the famous Let's Play of Sonic 2006.

I need cleansing.

You know what... i hate myself slightly for reading the impressions in this thread and really wanting another Wii.

After so many terrible games and let downs (including IMO, Sonic 4)... i cannot believe that the magic that was sonic 1 and 2 on megadrive holds enough sway that i'm prepared to shell out on another Wii.

But i am powerless it seems!

NinjaFusion said:
You know what... i hate myself slightly for reading the impressions in this thread and really wanting another Wii.

I'm in the same position especially with how great Donkey Kong Country Returns looks, and me never getting to play Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's like the platforming Holy Trinity in this day and age.

remz

sonic actually being funny in an old cartoon kind of way is the best thing I've heard in years. :'D

mclem

Tailzo said:
I don't know if I understand that sentence.

So the game has tight controls, except in one puzzle stage?

I *think* he's talking about puzzling design (as in "why did they do this?"), rather than design which is a puzzle.

AzureJericho said:
Side note, does anyone else get a serious Let's Tap vibe from Planet Wisp Act 3, Sweet Mountain Act 2 & all of Starlight Carnival Zone? Considering how much I loved the Let's Tap soundtrack, finding out that there might be hints of it in this OST makes my near hyperbolic love for it all the more understandable! :lol

I recall a couple of musicians specifically being from Sega worked on Let's Tap along with some Basiscape folks and Prope's own musician.

So maybe those Sega folks worked on Colors as well?

jambo

Getting my new Red Wii and Sonic Colours on Thursday, can not fucking wait to crack it open and start it up.

Sonic is back!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ZealousD said:

I need cleansing.
I love how they weren't even talking by the end, the one guy was just despondently reciting song lyrics.
"I come...from a land down under..."

I feel like I learned something after that 23 hours. I'm just not sure what it was yet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Net_Wrecker said:
Man...this soundtrack. I can't believe it's from a SONIC GAME in 2010.

EDIT: Aquatic Park OH MAH GAHD
Where are you guys listening to this?

ZealousD said:

I need cleansing.
You don't even have half the 2006 experience.

I bought the game on day 1 and honestly expected something good. At that point, there had been no reviews yet and the E3 demo was a known quantity. The end result, however, was bad to a degree I could not possibly have anticipated. The loading times were definitely the biggest insult there. I could not fathom how they could have screwed that up SO badly.

What really surprised me was that they still managed to hit 60 fps most of the time. That in itself is a rare feat these days, yet they pulled it off. Totally baffling to me.

My son loves all things Sonic (yes, that includes Shadow the Hedgehog. I know I am a horrible father for even allowing him to play it) so I am very happy that a new and good Sonic experience is going to be available for him to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dark10x said:
One other question...

Did they aim for 60 fps with this game or is it 30?
30 fps according to the emulator forums that are already playing the PAL version (25 on actual PAL settings obviously).

:(

dark10x

Stallion Free said:
30 fps according to the emulator forums that are already playing the PAL version (25 on actual PAL settings obviously).

:(
I figured that would be the case. :\ Sonic Unleashed HD wasn't even a constant 30 fps, but it used absolutely killer motion blur to make up for it.

ApolloJoh

Colors definitely has one of the best soundtracks out of the 3-D Sonics.

Wasn't paying much attention to this but after seeing some of the stream and listening to the music, I'm much more interested. :D

dark10x

Pietepiet said:
Friend just picked up the game for me. He's coming over in a bit. I'll post impressions later today :)
Is this out in Europe or something? What's the deal? Thought it was set for next week.

Peff

dark10x said:
Is this out in Europe or something? What's the deal? Thought it was set for next week.

Thursday on Australia, Friday on Europe, but local shops usually get them a few days early. In fact I think one around here has it and I'm really tempted. Stupid amazing OST and good-looking gameplay videos.

Teknoman

MYE said:
Just saw IGN's score

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING GUYS

bg8jtu.jpg

Foffy

Banned
So wait...not only is Sonic Colors good, but the Wii AND DS versions are both equally awesome.

So this really is the best Sonic has been since Sonic and Knuckles...:D :D :D

Arren

I don't consider myself a Sonic enthusiast at all, but damn if this game got me interested since the early previews.

The soundtrack is incredible.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
pulga said:
Seriously guys, what the fuck

Goldeneye AND Sonic are actually good?

what.the.fuck.
Now let's hope DKC Returns won't suck in this reality.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Peff

Hm, almost all of their "trial and error" situations in the video seem to be their fault... not that I want to start a review war or anything, especially not having played the game yet, but most of those were easy to see with enough time to avoid them.

Top Bottom