• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

DeVeAn

GT just hates Sonic. The one eyed guy probably reviewed the game. They always show clips of them dying and try to justify it by saying "its the games fault". Even their New Vegas review was whack.

Pietepiet

So I just played it for a good half hour. Very, very fun! The levels aren't too long, and there's enough variety in platforming to not have it turn into "Hold forward and boost to win".

Having a blast with it :)

Also, the figurine that comes with the Limited Edition is fragile as hell. I tried to bend the legs to pose him a bit, but the joint broke pretty much immediately. Will have to glue it.

Penguin

The_Technomancer said:
Added to the OP. Will watch later, curious to see their criticisms.

GamesRadar review is up also, they gave it a 7:

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/sonic...ew/a-2010110816153062049/g-201005269481674075

Say that its fun, but there are some really frustrating deaths that set you back. Post-game exploration is fantastic.

If I got it right
-Trial and Error Gameplay
-Wisps aren't used enough
-Sonic voice
-Some of the music like the theme song
-Controls during the free reign section
-"on raisl" no control feeling

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Penguin said:
-Wisps aren't used enough
Interesting, I don't know if I see this as a pro, con or neutral point before playing it myself.

Pureauthor said:
If they complained about the main theme so much, why'd they play it so loud over the end? :/
Out of spite, maybe.

Eric C

Empty said:
gametrailers don't seem to agree with the other reviewers. 6.4 from them.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-sonic-colors/706920

I watched it once here are some of the things he mentioned that he didn't like

-Didn't like Story / Plot

-Cheesy Dialog

-Slapstick Comedy
I expected this. I wasn't going to buy Sonic for the story/plot or dialog.

-Power-ups under utilized
This is a good thing IMO. I was afraid they would over use the power ups

-Blind Spots cause cheap deaths

-Controls during free range movement atrocious

-3D sometimes on rails

-2D platforming segments have floaty loose jumping mechanics
The 2D parts seem to be a large part of this game. So I wish he would've gone into more detail about this because Sonic has never jumped and platformed exactly like Mario. And everyone else says this is one of the better parts of the game

-relentless forward momentum with little sense of control

-Power ups have control issues, and most should be avoided
Most should be avoided... I thought you said earlier they were under utilized...

-Theme song horrible

-Sonic should become mute

RobbieNick

I'm not worried. Goldeneye got some poor reviews too.

Also, I have no problem with the dialogue. It sounds campy and funny.

The giant enemy crab worries me some. At least the review tells you how to beat it.
It's great to hear the game is even more fun after you beat it.

I'm glad Sega FINALLY gave us the option to turn off the tutorial stuff if we want.

Kard8p3

I'm surprised GT gave it a lower score than the wii version of unleashed. They seemed to think the only real problem with that game was the were-hog and thought a game featuring just the daytime levels could be great (like most people said.) It's fine though because I loved the daytime unleashed levels and this game looks like a big improvement on them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kard8p3 said:
I'm surprised GT gave it a lower score than the wii version of unleashed. They seemed to think the only real problem with that game was the were-hog and thought a game featuring just the daytime levels could be great (like most people said.) It's fine though because I loved the daytime unleashed levels and this game looks like a big improvement on them.

Might have been a different reviewer.

Fuu

SalsaShark said:
Wii version had more 2D platforming, it was better.
Ok? I'm just agreeing with him about how the same site can have a largely different score depending on the fact that it's a different reviewer.

Salsa

Fuu said:
Ok? I'm just agreeing with him about how the same site can have a largely different score depending on the fact that it's a different reviewer.

oh, my bad

but given how Wii version WAS in fact better, it could have been the same reviewer for the inferior PS360 version.

Kard8p3

SalsaShark said:
oh, my bad

but given how Wii version WAS in fact better, it could have been the same reviewer for the inferior PS360 version.

I didn't like the wii that much. I thought the daytime levels were much better in the PS3/360 version. To each his own though.

WillyFive

SalsaShark said:
oh, my bad

Gamespot had the same reviewer for both the Wii and HD versions, and he also gave the Wii version the upper hand.

DeVeAn

Reviews only cause a Hive-mind for a majority of the "gamer" fan base on the internet. Most seem to roll with whatever meta critic shows.

It possible some reviews nail it but more often I see BS reviews with no substance. Sucks really.

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm in the same position especially with how great Donkey Kong Country Returns looks, and me never getting to play Super Mario Galaxy 2. It's like the platforming Holy Trinity in this day and age.

OMG OMG OMG! Lets make a wii suicide pact. you buy one, i buy one.

Omikaru

Added this to my Amazon Christmas wishlist along with Goldeneye and Epic Mickey. Gonna be a busy December 25th for my Wii. :D

Fuu

Willy105 said:
Gamespot had the same reviewer for both the Wii and HD versions, and he also gave the Wii version the upper hand.
I didn't remember that, I just checked and the difference is even higher than IGN's (7.0 and 3.5). :lol Not like the numbers should matter anyway but I didn't think it was possible for the same reviewer to score the PS360 version that lower if they liked the Wii one. Most people are prone to extremism when it comes to Unleashed (and Sonic in general), in the end I enjoyed both versions but I have to give the upper hand to the HD one. As Kard8p3 said, to each their own, etc.

Whoever wrote GT's review sounds like the kind of person who just doesn't like any Sonic games, even good ones. What's said in the review borderlines on contradiction sometimes, too; specifically that wisp powers are "underutilized" but in the next section they mention how they are "mandatory to clear some levels" but also "worth avoiding" - what? That just sounds like they're faulting the game based on their own shortcomings playing the game.

And the footage they include to highlight their complaints instead make them look clueless about how to properly play the game. Some of it almost looks deliberate; like they're missing jumps intentionally - either that or the guy capturing footage has all the reflexes of a wet napkin.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did you ever play Unleashed HD version? Seems like the stages in Colors are more inspired by the daytime stages in that game (which is a good thing).

SalsaShark said:

Completely 100% wrong. I played both, the Wii version was crap compared to the HD versions. It had far less Sonic and a hell of a lot more Werehog and the Sonic levels it did have were empty boring tracks compared to the HD titles. Its no comparison. Unleashed Wii is one of the worse 3D Sonic games, Unleashed HD is one of the best.

dark10x

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Ugh, GT review makes it sound exactly like the PS360 version of Unleashed which was horrible.
What? The PS360 version of Unleashed was great (and much much much better than the Wii version). This seems like a focus on the best parts of that game, which is awesome.

That's is completely incorrect. The Wii version features significantly more Werehog stages and features short, simplistic Sonic stages in comparison. I can't even begin to imagine how anyone who has played both could feel that way. I actually DO own both (bought the Wii version because of comments like yours expecting something good), but it disappointed quite heavily.

It's not just about content and level design either. The controls are quite a bit worse as well. The Werehog actually plays decently well in the HD version, but those stages are a mess on Wii. Daytime stages also focus more on very wide "tracks" more like a racing game than a Sonic game with occasional 2D bits. It's much less creative and interesting that the HD version.

Vanille

Sega1991 said:
And the footage they include to highlight their complaints instead make them look clueless about how to properly play the game. Some of it almost looks deliberate; like they're missing jumps intentionally - either that or the guy capturing footage has all the reflexes of a wet napkin.

Indeed. The part with the blue blocks made me facepalm. That wasn't a cheap death at all, the guy playing just sucked.

PS360 version of Unleashed was out of control and had the least logical level design of a game ever. There were tons of sections where the game had boosters immediately followed by walls you had to slide under or downward paths that caused you to accelerate followed by platforms you couldn't land on if you were moving fast. And the 3D sections were pretty much impossible to control. Horrible game.

dark10x

Gram Negative Cocci said:
No, it was still too fast and required memorization to succeed, and thats just the daylight levels.
And? The speed was part of the fun and mastering the levels was the best part. There was definitely some memorization required, but not for every stage. There was also a lot of room for mastery. Perfecting a run of a stage was a lot of fun and being able to execute everything perfectly is very satisfying.

Many of the most beloved 16-bit era games focused on memorization anyways. You can at least get through most of the Unleashed stages with minimal death the first time through. You'll just do so with a poor completion time. For me, playing the stage for the first time always left me wanting to jump back in and play it 10 more times.

PS360 version of Unleashed was out of control and had the least logical level design of a game ever. There were tons of sections where the game had boosters immediately followed by walls you had to slide under or downward paths that caused you to accelerate followed by platforms you couldn't land on if you were moving fast. And the 3D sections were pretty much impossible to control. Horrible game.
Sounds like you just suck at it. Most of those sections did not kill you, so the only punishment was loss in speed. Reacting to the challenges is very satisfying. If you're the type of person that wants to play a stage one time and never return to it then I could see how you might dislike it, but there's a lot of room for skilled play in that game and it feels great when you pull it off.

I'm hoping Colors delivers on that front.

The Wii version was boring in comparison. A lot of wide, empty roads and sluggish 2D sections were the norm. It was definitely easier simply because there was barely anything happening.

Vanille said:
Indeed. The part with the blue blocks made me facepalm. That wasn't a cheap death at all, the guy playing just sucked.

For me, it was the rollercoaster part. I could see the rainbow rings approaching, and in my mind I kept saying "Are you gonna jump? They're right there. You're going to miss them. This is totally obvious. Why aren't you jumping! They're right there! The big, bright, color-cycling objects in the black void of space! ARGHHHH"

Kard8p3

dark10x said:
Did you ever play Unleashed HD version? Seems like the stages in Colors are more inspired by the daytime stages in that game (which is a good thing).

Yes I did and I liked it better than the wii version.

From the Games Radar review, this hurts my head:

So, we get to the crab-robot again. Now the Navigator informs us we must press B, which activates Sonic’s dash. All righty! We press B. The robot hits us anyway. Uh, what? Now the Navigator tells us to move from side to side. We do so. Smack. Dead. Four times in a row, dead, and back to the beginning of the level. This happened over and over until we lost count. Turns out we had to hold the B button down for an arbitrary amount of time, even though a single tap of the button caused the prompt to disappear and triggered the next prompt (move side-to-side) which was in fact completely incorrect for the situation at hand. See, the side-to-side prompt is supposed to tell you what to do after successfully completing the dash, but just triggers anyway regardless of what happens. So we did what the game told us to do, and died over and over.

You mean you have to hold down the dash?! No way?! What a concept. Something is chasing me, I figured a quick burst of speed is enough... uhhhh. It sounds like the reviewer didn't even know there was a dash button.

Poyunch

HenryGale said:
It's too bad this wasnt the Kinect game that was at launch.
There's no way this game would have translated well. If anything it'd be the same thing as Free Riders if it was on Kinect. Quality-wise at least.

dark10x

HenryGale said:
It's too bad this wasnt the Kinect game that was at launch.
How exactly would you play a 2D platformer requiring precise movements using Kinect? Would be a terrible experience.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Hmmm so why can I get through most every level without getting touched and getting awesome times and scores.

Yes you need to learn some levels but at least there are obstacles and actual gameplay moments unlike the Wii levels which were extremely simplistic by comparison. Unleashed HD actually required skill. The fun comes from mastering the levels.

dark10x said:
Sounds like you just suck at it. Most of those sections did not kill you, so the only punishment was loss in speed. Reacting to the challenges is very satisfying. If you're the type of person that wants to play a stage one time and never return to it then I could see how you might dislike it, but there's a lot of room for skilled play in that game and it feels great when you pull it off.

The obstacles in the game have no warning or logic to them and it's impossible to react to them on your first time. It was a game with the worst level design maybe ever in a platformer.

RobbieNick

SalsaShark said:
guess im insane then, i prefered it by a fuckin mile.

They're actually almost equal.

The daytime levels in Unleashed HD were some of the best Sonic gaming I had played in years. While the Wii version has it's levels pretty flat and bland much less twists and turns. Things got much better by the time you got to Spagonia, but HD just did it tons better. Also, the Wii has better controls when it comes to Sonic's drifting.

The Werehog is even more frustrating on Wii. Why? Well, it looks at first like it's much better as his levels are fairly short. Problem is, you have to may more Werehog levels afterwards to deal with before the next Sonic level. When playing as the Werehog in HD, you get one long level. On Wii 3-5 short to medium length levels in a row. Also, in order to do combos with the Werehog on Wii, you have to either throw left and right punches with the Wiimote, alternate hitting L and R on GC controller or hit X and Y alternately on the CC Pro. With the HD version, you could either button mash or use X and Y is mainly used to give you many different creative combos. Also, the Werehog was simply more fun to play as in HD. (Well, depending on how you define "Fun". It was less irritating.)

Now medals is where Wii wins. On Wii, medals are solely used to unlock new challenges in older levels. In HD, you have to have them in order to progress. In fact there were a few time where I had to play an older Werehog level again just to get enough Sun medals to unlock a new Sonic level. GRRR!! These were by far the most frustrating and annoying parts of the HD version.

Now, when it comes to Eggmanland and the final boss, I gotta hand it to Wii. It was much easier but still very challenging to get through and the final boss was more fun to beat.

Also, if you want to play the Wii version, I recommend the CC Pro. It's the best controller to use.

miksar

The amount of effort put into level design is amazing, but everyone responsible for sound design should be fired, especially the person who hires terrible voice actors for every Sonic game.

dark10x

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The obstacles in the game have no warning or logic to them and it's impossible to react to them on your first time. It was a game with the worst level design maybe ever in a platformer.
It does have warnings, though, but it definitely requires fast reaction time. The levels are generally laid out very well, I think. I found the reactionary challenges to be quite exhilarating, actually.

Only the very last levels really reached the point where things got a little cheap. The majority of the stages, however, go fairly easy on the player when they fail to hit the best path. The game does feature multiple paths just as a Sonic game should. They do eventually start throwing in bottomless pits, but they are pretty rare for the most part.

Top Bottom