• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

WillyFive

Although Gametrailers' review wasn't what the others said, I have to trust them, because they made the only Phantom Hourglass review I agreed with.

dark10x said:
And? The speed was part of the fun and mastering the levels was the best part. There was definitely some memorization required, but not for every stage. There was also a lot of room for mastery. Perfecting a run of a stage was a lot of fun and being able to execute everything perfectly is very satisfying.

Many of the most beloved 16-bit era games focused on memorization anyways. You can at least get through most of the Unleashed stages with minimal death the first time through. You'll just do so with a poor completion time. For me, playing the stage for the first time always left me wanting to jump back in and play it 10 more times.

Sounds like you just suck at it. Most of those sections did not kill you, so the only punishment was loss in speed. Reacting to the challenges is very satisfying. If you're the type of person that wants to play a stage one time and never return to it then I could see how you might dislike it, but there's a lot of room for skilled play in that game and it feels great when you pull it off.

I'm hoping Colors delivers on that front.

The Wii version was boring in comparison. A lot of wide, empty roads and sluggish 2D sections were the norm. It was definitely easier simply because there was barely anything happening.

It sounds like you are a fan of trial and error gameplay. I don't like trial and error gameplay.

ZealousD said:
I don't understand how anybody could prefer the SD version to the HD version.

HD version obviously has more content per inch, more dynamic camera angles, more pathways, higher skill requirement.

Yup, I don't get it either. Thats just level design, that doesn't even get into the amount of content the HD version has compared to the SD. How many more Sonic levels there are, probably twice as many. How there are fewer werehog levels and that they are better. There is nothing about the Wii version that is better except that its easier which is a positive for some people.

Oh and in that HD video the player took the long route. I could do better. :p

AniHawk

Willy105 said:
Although Gametrailers' review wasn't what the others said, I have to trust them, because they made the only Phantom Hourglass review I agreed with.

If very little went changed as far as the controls go from the E3 stuff, the floatiness in the 3D sections is absolutely true.

I was trying to be a hotshot at the E3 demo, but it felt like I sure was getting shot in the face a lot.

DR2K

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Good platformers don't require trial and error to succeed.

Most good ones feature it, especially to excel. The amount is variable to skill level though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gram Negative Cocci said:
It sounds like you are a fan of trial and error gameplay. I don't like trial and error gameplay.
It's not entirely trial and error, though. I was able to complete most stages with little trouble the first time through, so it's not a matter of failing and retrying. Rather, I saw opportunities for improvement and wanted to replay the stages and improve my times.

I don't always enjoy trial and error gameplay. In the case of the Splinter Cell series, for instance, I feel the games punish the player too harshly for failing to perform actions as the developers intended. There is usually a single, linear path through an area and it is not immediately clear what this is.

That's not the case with Sonic Unleashed. It's always clear where you're going. Most of the time, as you pass a section for the first time, you catch sight of an alternate path that you missed, but you don't fail the level immediately because of it.

It's definitely not for everyone, though, but I can't imagine someone being a fan of the Wii version of the game while hating the HD version.

Good platformers don't require trial and error to succeed.
A LOT of them demand it if you want to perform well.

This applies to plenty of old school genres. Metal Slug and Contra style games, for instance, are notorious for their high levels of trial and error.

You cannot completely escape it when dealing with a game as fast as Sonic Unleashed. That speed, however, was part of the joy. Mastering a section and executing it at those speeds is an absolute rush. You perform so many different types of actions so quickly knowing that one wrong step will kill momentum (but not lead to a death in most cases). It's just exciting.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
miksar said:
The amount of effort put into level design is amazing, but everyone responsible for sound design should be fired, especially the person who hires terrible voice actors for every Sonic game.
I wouldn't call Roger Craig Smith a terrible voice actor. Kate Higgins did a decent job on Tails from what I've seen so far too.

Look, you guys can try to argue that a lot of platformers have used trial and error in the past. That doesn't excuse it from being a flaw and the good platformers throughout gaming history do not rely on it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Suzuki Yu said:
excellent example showing how utter shit the wii ver was in comparison

The very beginning in particular is pretty funny. In the HD version, you're constantly switching lanes and avoiding obstacles.

In the SD version you..... run forward.

Foffy

Banned
MYE said:
Seriously :lol

Battle of the boss themes!!! Sonic VS Mario, like the old days

Sonic-Final boss theme

Mario-Final boss theme

And like the old days, mario wins hands down :D

To be fair, Super Mario Galaxy is literally Nintendo music cut to a perfect sheen. They know how to craft memorable soundtracks, and I consider that game to just be a universal (pun?) grasp of all of the grandness they muster.

I do wish the "8-bit" themes Colo(u)rs has were more...8-bit. They sound awfully amateurish and something someone would make on a bored day in Famitracker.

Teknoman

Whats funny about the trial and error section of the GT review was that you could see most of the situations shown "a mile ahead". Like the cube timed platform run and timing a bounce to NOT run into the electrified badnik.

EDIT: Looking back, the cube section really was obvious. The camera pans down, and you can see that the empty blue rings = straight drop to death. You'd either have to do the cube pound again, or just fall into the grey block bridge. The rollercoaster part was a bonus ring type thing...but i'll give them that one.

I dont think the checkpoint placed Sonic right above the yellow floating spring section though.

Foffy

Banned
Teknoman said:
Whats funny about the trial and error section of the GT review was that you could see most of the situations shown "a mile ahead". Like the cube timed platform run and timing a bounce to NOT run into the electrified badnik.

Slow responses = "SHIT GAME FUCK YOU"

It's not like the physics got in the way~ :lol

To be fair, I don't think there was much they could have done for the botched transfer involving the spring to a checkpoint. So it seemed, anyway.

Teknoman

They gave Sonic 4 a 7.5 I think? I had a little fun with that, but i'd think it had more issues than Colors.

Those who've played it, is it easier than past games to turn or adjust direction when in the 3d speed sections?

Willy105 said:

Except that:

A) Gametrailers likely has multiple writers.
B) The voice you hear talking to you is not the person who wrote the review.
C) We don't know who wrote what (there's no text crediting the writer).

What that means is the guy who wrote the Phantom Hourglass review might not be the guy who wrote this Sonic Colors review, and there's no immediate indicator of who did.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
Except that:

A) Gametrailers likely has multiple writers.
B) The voice you hear talking to you is not the person who wrote the review.
C) We don't know who wrote what (there's no text crediting the writer).

What that means is the guy who wrote the Phantom Hourglass review might not be the guy who wrote this Sonic Colors review, and there's no immediate indicator of who did.

I understand all that, and always have, but it has been consistent will all Gametrailers reviews, I tend to have their same viewpoints that other reviews don't bring up or disagree.

I have not played Colors, so I don't know if I will agree or not, but I am taking it into consideration.

Pietepiet

Teknoman said:
Those who've played it, is it easier than past games to turn or adjust direction when in the 3d speed sections?

In some sections, Sonic will get locked to using only the sidestep, in others you can control him more freely. Felt solid to me, I never had a problem with it. Most of the time when he feels like "a bag of cement", as GameTrailers put it, you'll be on a straight line anyway with no real need to steer him.

Glix

An awesome 3D Sonic is about to come out! Sega finally gets it (maybe)!!!

So lets argue about Unleashed!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

AniHawk

Teknoman said:

EDIT: Looking back, the cube section really was obvious. The camera pans down, and you can see that the empty blue rings = straight drop to death. You'd either have to do the cube pound again, or just fall into the grey block bridge. The rollercoaster part was a bonus ring type thing...but i'll give them that one.

I dont think the checkpoint placed Sonic right above the yellow floating spring section though.

Those parts in the video are probably not what the reviewer is referring to though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Finally watched the GT review. If the gameplay videos we've seen are anything to go by how the hell are the wisps under-utilized? Seems like you'll use three or four in a level, which seems about the saturation point before it would feel like you were just playing wisps.

Teknoman said:

To be fair, that part in the GT review is pretty tough and requires some tricky platforming and then go backtrack, grab another wisp, then do it again. Got to play the game today at a friends house for about a half hour before going Black Ops and that's one of the grassy planet's act. We both went through two sets of Game Over screens on that level.

Couple things wrong with that review. The floating wisp is NOT hard to control. You hit B and it acts like the light speed dash. None of the wisps really are. There was nothing wrong with the motion controls either. You shake to use a wisp. That's it.

What I do agree with are the floaty jumping. The reason why we both kept dieing was because of the jumping. You've gotta hold it down to gain height but even with the double jump, it's just barely able to reach certain platforms. A lot of times we were under and over jumping the same stupid section.

Was the game fun? Fuck yeah. The level design is miles above Unleashed and I hated Unleashed's daytime sections. Been burn by too many Sonic games to grab it full price, but I'll be grabbing it in Redbox day one. The GT review is wrong, plain and simple.

MYE said:
Seriously :lol

Battle of the boss themes!!! Sonic VS Mario, like the old days

Sonic-Final boss theme

Mario-Final boss theme

And like the old days, mario wins hands down :D
JESUS CHRIST

I dunno, I prefer the Sonic theme. What I've always loved about the 3D Sonics, especially starting with 06, is the final boss track being a triumphant, orchestrated version of the main theme. It seriously gets me pumped up. Mario is great too, but it doesn't have that same effect.

It worked especially well in Unleashed, where it was the first time you ever heard the main theme in the game.

[Nintex]

Hero of Legend said:
Okay, two folks at TSS are at 124 and 128 red rings with 200 to get.

Hopefully soon we'll know if our future is golden! :O
If you finish the game backwards twice and have save files of both Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic and the Black Knight you'll unlock Mario.

AniHawk

I think collecting everything transforms him into Sonic06 Sonic. And he SEES ALL PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE. THE SKY WILL BE LIKE FIRE AND THE STREETS WILL BE LIKE RIVERS OF BLOOD AND THE END OF DAYS WILL BE UPON US. ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GLORY BE UPON HIS NAME.

Peff

Tried the first two worlds a while ago, yep, it's actually good. It's basically Unleashed 2 with more 2D parts where you get to slow down and do some platforming. The 2D controls are definitely not as tight as the old games, again, it's a more refined version of Unleashed but I guess some people will find it too finicky. Other than the red coins, there seemed to be many paths and shortcuts for Wisps that you unlock later, so I'm not sure what GT meant by underused when that's pretty much up to the player.

Another thing that surprised me is how little story there is so far.
The game doesn't even have an intro and once you can choose the next world to go there are no cutscenes other than one before and after that world's boss, which means that you get to play six levels in a row. I assume the rest of worlds are the same

So yeah, while it won't please everyone, anybody who has ever liked a 3D Sonic should find this quite enjoyable, I think. Here's hoping Sonic Team can keep this level for their next projects.

TheOGB

Banned
[Nintex] said:
If you finish the game backwards twice and have save files of both Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Sonic and the Black Knight you'll unlock Mario.
r295du.jpg

Lol, no I don't

Maron

RobbieNick said:
Damn! Having such a great time listening to the Colors Soundtrack. Is that a tiny sampling of Super Mario music I hear on the first boss?

Trying hard not to spoil too much for myself, but I watched Starlight Carnival Act 1. It's insane!

Love the banter between Eggman and Sonic. Reminds me of the old cartooons.

Eggman - This time, and I mean it, NOTHING will stop me! (Just then, Sonic shows up.)

Sonic - Who are you callin' "Nothing"?
:lol

Where are you watching cutscenes??

WillyFive

Just to bring more discussion here, I will say that Sonic's boss theme is probably too busy (different instruments and parts blend together) and doesn't sound like it's from a real orchestra, just good MIDI.

But it's all trivial.

Unicorn said:
Are you implying that good ones exist?

NONE should exist.

Jesus :lol

You obviously haven't read mine.

Top Bottom