• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Dreavus

The_Technomancer said:
Actually the original thread title wasn't really about the quality of the game, its just the awesome announcer :lol

GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! THAT WAS AMAZING! SPIKES! CUBE! DRILL!

Oh god I just realized. That's awesome :lol :lol

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just traded in some old games and picked this up. I'm a Sonic lover from the Megadrive days, barely touched any of the new ones (maybe the odd one on GBA) but haven't really been impressed. This one looks great - will see!

I will actually buy this. The videos I've watched and the music I've heard all look and sound fantastic. I said I wouldn't, but Sonic will get another try to redeem itself.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh sweet holy fucking fuck I just listened to the Sweet Mountain Map theme for the first time. I was walking to class with it on my iPod, and I'm pretty sure I was literally dancing down the street. If you haven't listened to this one yet give it until at least the one minute mark to grab you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sf4aDB4D80

The Galaxy games had great music, but in terms of sheer feel good, boppin' snazzy jazzy fun this is probably my favorite soundtrack since de Blob.

I've only heard Planet Wisp and Tropical Resort, I'll leave the rest to my playthrough, but if they are any testement to the quality of the rest of the soundtrack than god help us all. Amazing stuff.

My only concern is that using the wisps will get in the way of all the goodness. I wish the sound didn't have to cut out each time.

Ollie Pooch

The music is really, really great. Definitely reminiscent of the earlier, happier synthesized Sonics but even more so Super Monkey Ball - the opening level's music reminds me of "Clock Tower Highway" which was one of my favourites. There are some real nods to Galaxy but it never feels knocked off.

Still pretty early in, and my ranks aren't good... But first impressions are really positive. The perspective changes are really nice, and some areas really remind me of FZero GX. And it feels like Sonic - the visuals and soundtrack really feel like there's a lot of care put into them. This was the definition of an impulse purchase, but I think it's gonna be a good one.

Ollie Pooch

I have the biggest fucking grin on my face playing this. THE MUSIC. That 'Sega synth' is like a crazy nostalgia trip. I'm just standing on a rotating platform listening to it :lol

Off to bed. Just had my first 'holy shit' moment - this game is awesome. So, so polished.

Pietepiet

Almost through all stages, but I still need a ton of those red star rings. Loving it, though I kind of miss the full speed, 5 minute non stop running stages like Unleashed's Jungle Joyride.

I find myself replaying Planet Wisp Act 1 over and over. Amazing stage, that.

JADS

Well I got the game, picked it up a bit earlier due to bad weather, played two hours so far and I must say I am pretty impressed. This is coming from someone who has not played Unleashed and has played Secret Rings for a few minutes before putting it down. There are a few moments that are just downright amazing. The start of the first wisp world and the second water world level are one of the high points so far. Level design can be quite complex in certain levels, while linear in others. Some levels are really short (30 sec) but require a lot of exploration to get the red emblems. Others are extremely large, some even clocking in above the six minute mark. I have encountered numerous empty wisp power containers in a lot of levels, which I think will be filled once I unlock some more power ups.

I don’t completely understand the complaint about the trial and error gameplay. The game flat-out tells you when to watch out for a dangerous situation. It does this by flashing a large yellow triangle above Sonic. There are a few parts that are pretty meh though. The moving platforms in the asteroid level are just poorly designed. One hit kills that need pinpoint accuracy to avoid. Some cursing later I got through it, but it wasn’t really fun. Graphic wise it’s a pretty solid game with some nice effects. Too bad the game is in 30 frames per second, 60 FPS would have put it on the same page as Super Mario Galaxy 1 graphically wise for me. The backgrounds are gorgeous and the game has some impressive texture work going at times for a Wii game.

Based on two hours of gameplay, I would say that this is a 7.5 out of 10 game. I hope it sells well, because it’s definitely a good step for a 3d Sonic games. No shitty friends, just Sonic and a few power ups. Now Sega, do the right thing and let non Wii gamers enjoy the game as well. Especially if it’s in an HD resolution with some AA applied:

Youtube Wisp World Act 1 in 1080P

wispworld-act1-001ic8a.jpg

wispworld-act1-0026hms.jpg

The Technomancer

iiiiiunicorn said:
I only liked Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles. Will I like this? It would be my first 3D Sonic, but I think I'm ready.
Well its not shit like the other 3D Sonics. Even Unleashed you kinda had to be a fan to forgive some of the crap they pulled. I haven't played this one, but it seems that its actually a good game. It does seem to be pulling from S3&K especially with the amount of stuff they're hiding in each level, which is cool.

I have a question... Was Shadow the Hedgehog a legitimately bad game, or did it fall victim to the "the game's premise is stupid so the game sucks" syndrome? I have a friend who legitimately likes Shadow, and he showed me a little bit of it, and I thought it looked alright from the few minutes I saw of it.

However, he also legitimately likes Sonic 2006... so I don't know...

Aaron Strife said:
I can't even imagine how this is possible.
Actually, I'm fairly in line with his tastes. Except for me, it's S.Rush > S.Adventure 2 > S.Advance 2 > S.Rush Adventure and everything else isn't so great to me. Including Unleashed (Wii)...

I can see how other Sonic games are good, but they're not my cup of tea.

Big One

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
I have a question... Was Shadow the Hedgehog a legitimately bad game, or did it fall victim to the "the game's premise is stupid so the game sucks" syndrome? I have a friend who legitimately likes Shadow, and he showed me a little bit of it, and I thought it looked alright from the few minutes I saw of it.
Yes. Get your friend help NOW

Dougald

So, I picked up the game today and it started off well..

The first few levels are GREAT. Okay, the theme of sweet mountain isn't exactly imaginative, but the game is fun and in these sections it controls well. Once I got to planet wisp it all started to go downhill. A very nice looking level I'll give it that, but cheap platforming sections with bottomless pits are very frustrating, especially when I feel that the controls are in no way accurate enough for this.

I battled on, and for a time it looked like this was a bump in the road, but after playing asteroid coaster I flat out give up. There is a showstopping bug right at the start of the first act which makes you wonder if they even playtested this level (if you are holding a direction on the stick when you jump out of the coaster, sonic flat out freezes and falls to his death). This pretty much continues throughout the entire level, with even more fustrating platforming sections. I like a challenge, but the design of these made me want to punt the controller through my TV.

At least the music is awesome. GAF, does the game actually get any better? Or am I just a weak, poor excuse for a gamer who can't stand this game?

Boogiepop

Well, you guys got to me. Pre-order placed and payed in full at Gamestop (for the hat). Hopefully they actually get it in on release day... though I won't be able to play it till the weekend after, unfortunately, as I'll be away from my Wii :|

JADS

Dougald said:
The first few levels are GREAT. Okay, the theme of sweet mountain isn't exactly imaginative, but the game is fun and in these sections it controls well. Once I got to planet wisp it all started to go downhill. A very nice looking level I'll give it that, but cheap platforming sections with bottomless pits are very frustrating, especially when I feel that the controls are in no way accurate enough for this.

I battled on, and for a time it looked like this was a bump in the road, but after playing asteroid coaster I flat out give up. There is a showstopping bug right at the start of the first act which makes you wonder if they even playtested this level (if you are holding a direction on the stick when you jump out of the coaster, sonic flat out freezes and falls to his death). This pretty much continues throughout the entire level, with even more fustrating platforming sections. I like a challenge, but the design of these made me want to punt the controller through my TV.

At least the music is awesome. GAF, does the game actually get any better? Or am I just a weak, poor excuse for a gamer who can't stand this game?

Agreed. The asteroid world is utter bullshit, especially the things that push you of the platform. The level where you have to use the moving springs to get around is UUGGHH. The space elevator level (Last world) is awesome though.

Dougald

JADS said:
Agreed. The asteroid world is utter bullshit, especially the things that push you of the platform. The level where you have to use the moving springs to get around is UUGGHH. The space elevator level (Last world) is awesome though.

So it gets better? I'll give it another go tomorrow then, when I'm less pissed at that asteroid level. Any hints to the moving spring portion? (this is where I gave in and turned the Wii off before I destroyed my controller)

JADS

Dougald said:
So it gets better? I'll give it another go tomorrow then, when I'm less pissed at that asteroid level. Any hints to the moving spring portion? (this is where I gave in and turned the Wii off before I destroyed my controller)

For the Asteroid world, no. ACT 6 is hell and a big WHY DID THEY DO THAT. You hate the roller coaster part, right? You are going to enjoy act 6 </sarcasm>. For the platform part use a high jump (Down + X if you are using a Classical Controller) to get on the pushing platform. You just need to time that really well, once it starts flashing count to 1 or 2 and then do the high jump. The end level is like a big chase with some nice graphics but it's rather short and only 3 levels. Of which one is the end boss.

ManeKast

Picked this up last night, got the Collectors Edition (free toys) and a free Sonic Colours Classic Controller (JbHiFi Australia $89au). Played through the first few worlds and had a blast, its great to play a Sonic game again and really enjoy it. While it had some minor issues (framerate drops sometimes, platforming not 100% accurate in some stages), overall an extremely positive experience. The girlfriend loves it. Awesome fun. Seems like revisiting each stage will be fun exploration wise as well.

iiiiiunicorn

Neo Member
ManeKast said:
Picked this up last night, got the Collectors Edition (free toys) and a free Sonic Colours Classic Controller (JbHiFi Australia $89au). Played through the first few worlds and had a blast, its great to play a Sonic game again and really enjoy it. While it had some minor issues (framerate drops sometimes, platforming not 100% accurate in some stages), overall an extremely positive experience. The girlfriend loves it. Awesome fun. Seems like revisiting each stage will be fun exploration wise as well.
Sold.

Why would you do that? said:

However, he also legitimately likes Sonic 2006... so I don't know...
Shadow sounds good on paper. It's mostly based on Shadow's gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2, which was the same as Sonic's gameplay. When you start adding guns and swords and shit, it gets stupid.

Aaron Strife said:
Shadow sounds good on paper. It's mostly based on Shadow's gameplay in Sonic Adventure 2, which was the same as Sonic's gameplay. When you start adding guns and swords and shit, it gets stupid.

It has some nice ideas. Just, you know, the worst possible execution and almost zero polish.

Kard8p3

I'd really like to see sonic team continue to work on this style of sonic. I'm fine with the 2D sections but I'd like to see them perfect the 3D portions. I'm fine with the super speed sections and the quick step but I'd like to see them attempt some more platforming in the 3D sections. I'm afraid this is going to be a one time thing but I really hope they improve on it some more.

The Technomancer

Kard8p3 said:
I'd really like to see sonic team continue to work on this style of sonic. I'm fine with the 2D sections but I'd like to see them perfect the 3D portions. I'm fine with the super speed sections and the quick step but I'd like to see them attempt some more platforming in the 3D sections. I'm afraid this is going to be a one time thing but I really hope they improve on it some more.
The problem with platforming in 3D Sonic has always been the jump physics. Adventure through 2006 he felt far too twitchy and spazzy, in Unleashed he felt sluggish at anything less then Mach 4.

Kard8p3

The_Technomancer said:
The problem with platforming in 3D Sonic has always been the jump physics. Adventure through 2006 he felt far too twitchy and spazzy, in Unleashed he felt sluggish at anything less then Mach 4.

Yeah for the most part I agree but I thought the short bit of 3D platforming in chun-nan worked pretty well. I'd like to see them work on it so 3D platforming could work in sonic but maybe they should just stick to 3D for speed sections and 2D for platforming. I'll be interested in seeing what they do with the anniversary game.

Ollie Pooch

ManeKast said:
I got mine at JB and she just gave me the regular one! Though mine was $79 - argh! I should take it back and swap it.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well, I went and bought it. Hope it's as good as I've been lead to believe. The last time I bought a Sonic game was Secret Rings, and I regret that purchase.

[Nintex]

SovanJedi said:
Well, I went and bought it. Hope it's as good as I've been lead to believe. The last time I bought a Sonic game was Secret Rings, and I regret that purchase.
The flickering lights and trippy dance floors with rainbow colored running tracks in space pretty much make you believe it is. :lol

Kard8p3

SovanJedi said:

I'll be interested in hearing your opinion.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The_Technomancer said:
in Unleashed he felt sluggish at anything less then Mach 4.

Honestly, the physics in Colors don't look all that different from Unleashed.

Kard8p3

ZealousD said:
Honestly, the physics in Colors don't look all that different from Unleashed.

They really aren't from what we've seen but most of the platforming is in 2D while 3D is pretty much just speed sections (with some exceptions.)

Top Bottom