• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kard8p3 said:
They really aren't from what we've seen but most of the platforming is in 2D while 3D is pretty much just speed sections (with some exceptions.)
That's what really matters to me. Even when a game absolutely nails it out of the park like Mario Galaxy by and large platforming is tighter in 2D because you have so many less possible directions at any given point. Its much more difficult to botch a move because you didn't fully grasp the characters physics.

At least that's been my perception.

Colours seems to have half fixed the slow platforming problems unleashed has which is sonic stopping in mid air all of a sudden and slow speed movements being a real bitch to do, sonic seems to accel slower which helps a lot.

I am really tempted to buy that 25th mario red wii and this game, I am a sonic fan but I never thought i'd go this far to play a sonic game :lol

Diablohead said:
Colours seems to have half fixed the slow platforming problems unleashed has which is sonic stopping in mid air all of a sudden and slow speed movements being a real bitch to do, sonic seems to accel slower which helps a lot.

I am really tempted to buy that 25th mario red wii and this game, I am a sonic fan but I never thought i'd go this far to play a sonic game :lol

Do it, there are tons of awesome games on Wii! :D

Foffy

Banned
Does anyone know if the Wii version is set before or after the DS version? I know for a fact
Eggman is NOT the final boss in the DS version
, so I was wondering what's up with the drastically different games, plot-wise.

Sciz

Foffy said:
Does anyone know if the Wii version is set before or after the DS version? I know for a fact
Eggman is NOT the final boss in the DS version
, so I was wondering what's up with the drastically different games, plot-wise.
They're concurrent. The only real differences in "plot" in the DS version are the scenes that bookend the side missions, and those have no bearing on anything.
And the bonus boss, which comes out of nowhere and serves as more of an epilogue than anything.

Kard8p3

OMG Aero said:
From the level select screen in the simulator menu, it looks like there are three for each emerald.

So the simulator is roughly as long as a 2D sonic game? This game is just packed with content.

Kard8p3 said:
Has it been said how many levels are in the sonic simulator?

They play slightly like traditional Sonic levels mixed with Colour's rail and 3D sections. Beat all of them, you get Super Sonic I think.

RobbieNick

Paid off my pre-orders today. Traded in Sonic and the Black Knight (good riddance ya snoozefest). Can't wait for Tuesday!!:D

Ashkeloth

Completed this yesterday. It took me 6 hours in total disregarding the Sonic Simulator and going out of my way to collect red rings.

I really think they nailed the saturday morning cartoon personality for the characters in this game and it added a ton more charm than what a lot of recent Sonic games have had, but it also made me feel like I was too old to be playing the game.

As I've seen a few sites say, this game is less about bringing back the old Sonic and more about creating a new way for new Sonic games. It sort of paid off, but to be honest, I still prefer the Sonic and Shadow stages in Adventure 2 to this.

Not really much more to say about this game than that. It's a good Sonic game, and possibly even the best 3D game to date, but for me, it was sort of there, and then I completed it, and that was it. Nothing that makes me feel like I'd want to go through it again and again, or any particularly high points that stood out among the rest.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ashkeloth said:
I really think they nailed the saturday morning cartoon personality for the characters in this game and it added a ton more charm than what a lot of recent Sonic games have had, but it also made me feel like I was too old to be playing the game.

I imagine it's not any worse in this respect than Super Mario Galaxy was.

Threi

notag
pVkTS.jpg

Little random, but am I the only one that feels as if every "traditional" style Sonic game should be striving to be like the Sonic CD Intro?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

That is the perfect representation of what Sonic should be. Speed, platforming, ball form, spin dash, and looking bad ass while a great theme is playing in the background.

STRIVE TO BE THIS SEGA.

ZealousD said:
I imagine it's not any worse in this respect than Super Mario Galaxy was.

It's a little bit better. Borrowed it and I knocked it out in about 4.5 hours. It's a bit deeper than Mario, but the story had more charm imo thanks to the short, but amazing looking cut-scenes (for a Wii game) and great voice acting. Sonic's got a cooler vibe thanks to better line delivery than the last flat sounding dude.

What they have is a good blend of Saturday Morning cartoon humor and acting between Sonic and Tails. It's not as deep as Adventure, but it's not as irritating as Unleashed with Chip. The problem, I think the formula they have is very easy to fuck up when they start involving more characters.

But I do agree with the above poster. Colours was good, control issues and stupid level design aside, but I do prefer the traditional 3D Sonic's more. It's a good game, but it feels a bit of a step backwards because of the negative backlash. In the end though, that was the developers fault. SA2's mixed gameplay, Heroes shitty team gameplay, Shadow's diaherrea mess, 06's everything, Unleashed's Werehog...

Grampasso

Net_Wrecker said:
Little random, but am I the only one that feels as if every "traditional" style Sonic game should be striving to be like the Sonic CD Intro?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

That is the perfect representation of what Sonic should be. Speed, platforming, ball form, spin dash, and looking bad ass while a great theme is playing in the background.

STRIVE TO BE THIS SEGA.
Now... THAT is a shitty song... fuck this shit music.
Sorry but this beats it a million times
Toot-Toot Sonic Warrior

JRW

Started playing this and immediately noticed the 30fps framerate, I didn't realise it wasn't 60.. Always has to be something wrong lol.

But I was curious what the prefered control method is for playing? I have a standard classic controller, gamecube controller and of course wiimote + nunchuck.

EDIT: never mind after trying all options the cube controller was a clear winner for me. It just feels right.

OMG Aero

I played through the first acts of the seven simulator zones and was surprised when I saw that two of the stages were
remakes of Spring Yard and Labyrinth Zones from Sonic 1
Does anyone know how to unlock the other simulator acts? I know it's by collecting the red rings but how many do you need to get?

Sciz

Gamespot: 8.0

After the faithful but inconsistent first episode of Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic Colours is a welcome surprise: a fresh-faced 3D Sonic with great looks and breezy action. A handful of flashy new abilities are tossed into the mix, but they don't undermine the essential Sonic formula of bot bopping, ring grabbing, and high-speed platforming. It's not without occasional niggles, but Sonic Colours exhilarates much more often than it frustrates, making it a commendable new entry in a sometimes shaky franchise. This is a Sonic game with verve and imagination, and Wii owners shouldn't miss an opportunity to play with Sonic at his best.

Luigiv

Just rented the game and played an hour of it. Thoughts so far:

- Definitely fun
- Pretty! (though admittedly a few too many jaggies)
- Great level design
- Great, panned out camera
- Analogue jump mechanic feels a bit off
- Wall jumps are a bit finicky
- Other then above issues 2D controls are easily the best the series has ever seen (including the Megadrive games)
- WTF at 3D controls? Why the hell is their so much lag when there is practically none elsewhere?

Should be interesting to see how long this holds up before I reach the infamous cheap deaths.

hatchx

Banned
JRW said:
Started playing this and immediately noticed the 30fps framerate, I didn't realise it wasn't 60.. Always has to be something wrong lol.

But I was curious what the prefered control method is for playing? I have a standard classic controller, gamecube controller and of course wiimote + nunchuck.

EDIT: never mind after trying all options the cube controller was a clear winner for me. It just feels right.

*scratches head*

Ashkeloth

Luigiv said:
Should be interesting to see how long this holds up before I reach the infamous cheap deaths.

Asteroid Coaster will make you its bitch and you won't even realize until several seconds after the fact because you thought it was in the standard Sonic autopilot mode. Keep your hand on the jump button at all times.

One other complaint I have about this game after Unleashed is the idea to map homing attack and double jump to the same button. I guess this is because of the standard Wiimote controls, but playing through this game with a classic controller pro, it just annoys me that there's an entirely unused button whilst the game keeps forcing me to attack enemies I can't even see.

TimmiT

OMG Aero said:
Does anyone know how to unlock the other simulator acts? I know it's by collecting the red rings but how many do you need to get?
For every 10 red rings you collect you unlock one new Simulator stage. You need to collect every red ring if you want to unlock every Simulator stage. (
and Super Sonic
)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I got the game today and finished the first three worlds. I've collected enough Red Rings to unlock... something, in the Sonic Simulator. Also had a quick go at the Challenge Mode.

I mentioned before that the last Sonic game I bought was Secret Rings and that I had my regrets in purchasing it. I thought the initial arcadey approach was a nice idea but technical limitations and awful design decisions marred my enjoyment of it - the short missions and Exp. system were things I was hugely against, as I did not exactly feel privileged to work for better controls and higher jumping. While stepping back from Sonic's friends was welcome, the presentation was pretty cheap too. All in all, it was a disappointment and I was certain that Sonic would never be enjoyable again to me. (I'd watched Pokecapn, KungFuJesus, Medibot and Co.'s LPs of Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Black Knight and, while Unleashed had potential, I definitely didn't feel I missed anything in skipping those games, especially 2006.)

Sonic Colours, however, starts off well. You immediately begin playing without any intro cutscenes or map navigation to begin with, and you go for two stages before the game gives you a backstory on anything (as well as the option to save.) This has to be a hook to bring in lapsed Sonic gamers who yearned for the pick-up-and-play nature of the old classics, and it works for me.

The next thing I noticed are the controls (I've been using the Wiimote/Nunchuckl combo so far.) They are... still not perfect. Moving around platforms is still a bit precarious and doesn't feel as precise as, say, Mario does. However, SEGA have taken some pretty great pains in order to get around this with a few inclusions - a double jump when you're outside of the range of an enemy helps take the edge off precise navigation, a yellow warning symbol will flash up to indicate you're above bottomless pits and warn you to be careful too, which I think is a great idea and a lot of other games ought to do this too. The level design is utilized pretty damn well in order to prevent cheap deaths, though I have had one or two places where a double jump turns into a homing attack due to the proximity of a nearby enemy. Thankfully, none of those so far have killed me yet. In fact, I've had very very few cheap deaths so far, though as I said I'm only halfway through the game.

Now the major positives: the level designs are pretty fantastic. Comparisons to Mario Galaxy have been common in the colourful, detailed and imaginative settings and the awesome soundtrack, and it's clear from some of the stages that they have been taking a good long look at both Galaxy games. All the levels I have played so far have been extremely varied and range from your typical Sonic high-speed race sections (a particularly beautiful one on the first act of Starlight Carnival stuck with me) to much more slower paced and interesting platforming sections, which have introduced a new gimmick on each stage so far and constantly feel fresh. I'm a huge fan of the Wisps I have unlocked so far, which you don't actually need to finish most stages but help expand the level design in fun and interesting ways. Replaying old levels and finding new stuff with the Drill Wisp has been very satisfying, and I can't wait to plough through all the old levels looking for more Red Rings once I've unlocked all of them. As mentioned before, Sega have been fairly careful when designing the levels so that you don't end up killing yourself when the flow changes direction, or a 3D mach speed section merges into a 2D platforming section, with the right amount of flare and duration that you have time to let it settle in that you're changing play style, yet still be dazzled by onscreen stunts and glitz.

The cutscenes are cheesy; there's certainly no way around it. I do feel like they are a little groanworthy, but it's probably because of the age they are aiming for with them. The humour is plentiful and pitched for a younger audience, but truthfully it's not that unbearable unless you truly despise Sonic's new voice actor. Certainly I prefer it this way than the melodramatic ham-acted dross that seeped into every pore of Sonic 2006, and Tails is certainly much more bearable than Chip was in Unleashed. I do find Robotnik/Eggman's robot henchman enjoyable though. I could watch them all day.

The important question, then, is this a return to form for Sonic? It's hard to say. I don't think we're ever going to get the old Sonic back again no matter how hard we secretly wish for it (and we all know what happens when Sega do try for that, a la Sonic 4). I don't think Sonic Colours was meant to be that game, despite the attempt to appeal to jaded Sonic gamers with less emphasis on dumb plot and shitty friends and retro throwbacks, such as the amusing (if visually unambitious) Sonic Simulator mode, but instead it's trying to be its own thing. In which case the real question is; is it a good game? I would say absolutely. It borrows and builds upon inspiration from both Mario Galaxy and the past 3D games (at least the good bits, of which they are a relative minority) and amalgamates them into a bright, whimsical experience. Wisps look by far to be the best addition to the Sonic stable, being a gimmick that expands upon the enjoyable high speed sections rather than segments the game into pot-shot game modes that fluctuate in enjoyability. The game has plenty of replay value as well, both in the main part and the various modes on offer. There are still, sadly, control issues which are still evident even after Sega's attempts to design around them... which, when you think about it, shouldn't need designing around. If you're very particular about your platforming you might want to approach with caution based on that. I myself have a higher level of tolerance, though I still had one or two death so far because of them. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying it so far and, importantly, not regretting this Sonic purchase. I can even recommend it to other people with a sense of pride, now. Sonic Colours IS a good game.

...now watch as I come across a future level that totally breaks the game for me and causes me to revise these impressions. :lol

Is Jun Senoue indeed listed as Sound Director in the Wii version's credits? Some speculated that Nintendo Power could've been wrong.

Also, do we have info on which composer did what song?

Rlan

I'm enjoying the DS version at the moment. Only problem right now is that the "slide" sections which pop up. They pop up out of nowhere with little warning, and are so dumb and useless. Don't need to be there at all. I blame with Wii version.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh, another thing that I've noticed and appreciated - the three bosses I've fought so far have two ways to defeat them, the second always involving a Wisp that you can find somewhere on the arena. The regular way takes longer altogether, but if you can find the Wisp, keep it and use it on the boss it can be killed very, very quickly (a shock when I defeated the first boss in one hit with the Wisp I found there). It's not that deep really, but it's a nice touch and adds replay value again.

Pureauthor said:
I can't stop listening to the Final Boss music.

Me neither! I put it on on the speakers while I had my shower yesterday. It was the most epic shower I'd ever had, haha.

gamingeek

I'm not a sonic fan so excuse any know-nothing dumbass-ness that may come from my non-sonic playing lips.

This is my first Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2, which was like a decade ago.

So far, the framerate really should be a lot better, 60 FPS like F-Zero really, considering how fast you are moving through the environments.

The bits where you are running into the screen I don't like much, it's the same as Sonic Adventure, you press the stick inwards and have a modicum of control over things. Then when you go into 2D mode, you screech to a halt. Well I do anyhow, because SEGA really needs to drop the godamn idea that you have to run like a c*** in these games and just focus on making a good platformer.

2D bits are good, they zoom the camera out too far for my liking but it plays like a reasonable approximation of the old sonic games on Genesis. Sonic has some new moves -well new to me- he can butt stomp down through descrutible blocks, he can boost really fast (duh). He can bounce off of walls like marios wall jump, slide under obstacles and he has this bizarre laser move where you motion the remote and then use the control stick to move a green line like laser which changes the angle. Sonic turns into the laser and bounces off at the angles shown. Quite why your laser angle is restricted in the game, is beyond my understanding.

Also, I'm using a system with IR, why the hell am I using a control stick to move a laser when I should be pointing and clicking?

The levels are all quite fast to do, like 2 or 3 minutes but there are lots of them just in the first world. The controls are fairly decent. Still doesn't feel as tight as it did on the old 2D games. Also you can't move the camera at all, so when in racing into the screen mode, if you walk backwards you are walking towards yourself and can't see shit. But there isn't much to go back to anyway and the levels are so quickly done you can easily restart.

The music, when orchestral is great, very reminiscent of Mario Galaxy type music and they seem to have taken the space theme from Galaxy. Unfortunately so far the actual music in the levels is all synth-pop which I don't like so much. I want either orchestrated like some of the in between level bits or cheesy SEGA vocal pop/rock from the Dreamcast days.

The cutscenes are pretty throwaway and, well if you have played any of the 3D sonic games you know what to expect.

So far it's a good Sonic game, but I'm not sure if that translates into a good game as a whole - in general terms. I think as you learn the levels and replay for better times, you will have a better time but that will require memorising the layouts of most levels.

One last thing, the lock on to kill enemies needs to die.

Top Bottom