• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Urban Scholar said:
No reviews of the DS version yet? I'm yearning for more DIMPS 2D work.

I'll have one written as soon as the DS version comes out in North America
ohdear.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
gamingeek said:
Also, I'm using a system with IR, why the hell am I using a control stick to move a laser when I should be pointing and clicking?
This is most likely due to the game supporting more than one controller type so they didn't bother making a different scheme that uses the pointer for level selecting, etc.

I looked at a topic at TSS about whether the Storybook games should return, and I actually came up with what I think would be a neat new direction of the series should it be continued.

First, use this as an opportunity to give other characters leading roles (ala Shadow, only not have it suck and make it appropriate).

Second, make them have real educational value, and for that, I purposed this game idea.

Tails in a Ace Combat/Sky Crawlers-like Tornado plane air combat game taking place in World War I, complete with help from the Valkyria Chronicles team for the graphical look of the Canvas Engine (on Wii obviously, surely that effect can be replicated) and for other info, as surely Sega WOW did their research on WWI as doesn't VC take place in it?

I think such a game could rock, it also gives Tails a chance to really prove himself and could give kids a good look at the facts and such (minus any of the graphic portions of the war of course, just what's appropriate in an E-E10+ game), and doing it in style.

The rest of the cast can take a back seat, OR actually get referenced but don't show up playing a part and not remember him, I think that was an odd thing for the series.

Perhaps Tails can dress up like give him classic pilot goggles or something to fit the part.

Emeralds, Badniks, and the rings and the usual stage items are present (Chao Fairies, REALLY?), and have Super Tails be unlockable by getting all seven emeralds, hey, miracles have happened right? ;)

Something I thought about in the span of like a half-hour.

Thoughts?

Hiltz

Destructoid's Jim Sterling just gave the game a 4.5 score in his review. He claims that Sega once again managed to blind him from the truth of how good the game seemed at first only to realize how much of a mixed bag it is.

My head hurts from reading the polar opposite reviews. I may just have to rent this one first.

gamingeek

TheOGB said:
To you and anyone that agrees with this, (not saying it's wrong) what do you suggest they do instead?

You'd probably hate my ideas because it would be by changing the game structure. I hate just running forward into the screen like a racing game. The 2D games had speed, but it was still a well made platform game at heart. I would cut the speed and improve the actual game design. Maybe even just go all 2D.

For the 3D areas I would prefer to use IR to shoot the bastards and I would probably prefer a slower game with more accurate controls and more proper 3D platformer design. Maybe come up with a unique mechanic, not based on speed. Just something clever and addictive, fun to use.

I wouldn't mind if the speed in the 3D games were occasional, Mario Galaxy 2 like interludes with Yoshi and the dash pepper.

Hiltz said:
Destructoid's Jim Sterling just gave the game a 4.5 score in his review. He claims that Sega once again managed to blind him from the truth of how good the game seemed at first only to realize how much of a mixed bag it is.

My head hurts from reading the polar opposite reviews. I may just have to rent this one first.

That's bollocks. I'm no sonic fan but come on, this is nowhere near a 4.5 game.

7 minimum, probably 8.

Hero of Legend said:
First, use this as an opportunity to give other characters leading roles (ala Shadow, only not have it suck and make it appropriate).

Tails in a Ace Combat/Sky Crawlers-like Tornado plane air combat game
Tails already got two games (one of which was flight based) and they were both crap. Knuckles also got a game, it was crap too. And Shadow... well we all know how that turned out.

Sega needs to be killing off every character introduced after S3&K, bar Blaze, and focusing on the core games instead of spin-offs. The sooner they get rid of baggage like Silver and Shadow the sooner that all the terrible memories of the past 10 years can start draining away and the series can get a fresh start.

McNum

This game is pretty fun, and genuinely funny, too. Whoever Sega has as writers on this one, they'd better keep. Sonic is a good blend of obnoxious, funny, and likable in this game. It's like they found out how to give him attitude without sounding like something out of the 90s. The supporting characters are pretty good too. Especially Eggman, those PAs are just so delightfully weird.

The game plays good so far, just passed Sweet Mountain and there's a good blend of running, platforming and... Wisping. The platforming is pretty sharp, Sonic even handles well at low speeds (finally) and the Wisps are just scarce enough that coming across one in a level serves as a quick little break in whatever you were doing. It'll take a bit of practice to get good with some of them, though, and the Laser has a slightly odd way of firing. Like the zoomed out camera, though. Plus that gives the Homing Attack a frankly unfair range.

Oh, a quick warning: Don't play Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours one after the other. You'll mess up your reactions.

Oh man, the comments

shadow the hedgehog is a bad ass and i dont care how many thumbs down i get for saying tha

Coins. Shadow collects coins. Funny looking coins, what with those holes and all. Good luck giving your fianc� a wedding coin. Retard.

Excellent game, as well as an excellent review. looks like 8.3 is the score to beat for the upcoming sonic 4

....wait

These are recent

Hiltz said:

To be fair, Jim Sterling kind of has a reputation for this sort of thing, doesn't he? Apparently Sega PR even included a special Jim Sterling "portrait" with his review copy:

2870jgg.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/this-is-how-sega-sees-destructoid-s-reviews-editor-187658.phtml

Sega1991 said:
To be fair, Jim Sterling kind of has a reputation for this sort of thing, doesn't he? Apparently Sega PR even included a special Jim Sterling "portrait" with his review copy:

2870jgg.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/this-is-how-sega-sees-destructoid-s-reviews-editor-187658.phtml

That's pretty funny :lol

If they considered him a troll, why'd they even send him a review copy in the first place? His non-serious articles can be kind of funny, but the arrogant prick attitude because I write for a video game website gets grating. Dude belongs on Joystiq.

Spruchy

So I've been playing this over the last two days and enjoying it. The second half of this game gets more challenging and sometimes when it's a result of bad design it can be a bit frustrating. Still a good game though and without a doubt Sonic's best effort in a long time.

Foffy

Banned
Hiltz said:
Destructoid's Jim Sterling

I think I found the problem, and it's not the game. I find it hard to look at his reviews other than something an edgy troll would make, and it's something I thought long before this review.

I've played the game. It's pretty great. My main complaint is the "tutorial" elements are downright atrocious, and you're better off disabling them before starting the game. I've put around 4 hours in, so if there's some awful gameplay twist to be had, it should have shown itself by now. :lol

RobbieNick

Zen

Banned
AniHawk said:

I always feel like they missed the mark with Shadow (duh). In a perfect world they could have geared the game more towards something that combined the speed of Sonic with Devil may Cry style combat using his chaos powers. But that also meant that it would have to be made well, and there was no chance of that either.

Kard8p3

The Chosen One said:
Shoot me if this has already been asked.

But any word on a Sonic Colors coming to the 360?

Sega did say if the wii version sold well they'd consider bringing it to the HD consoles.

Luigiv

The Chosen One said:
Shoot me if this has already been asked.

But any word on a Sonic Colors coming to the 360?
Rumour has it that Sega will port it if the Wii version sells well enough to warrant it. No idea how true that is but sounds plausible to me.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Hiltz said:

You shouldn't take anything Jim Sterling writes seriously. He's just an internet joke character. He gave COD: Black Ops a 6.0 a few days ago.

plufim

VideoMan said:
You shouldn't take anything Jim Sterling writes seriously. He's just an internet joke character. He gave COD: Black Ops a 6.0 a few days ago.
Specifically the PC version due to it's completely broken netcode. He's later said that you can add 3 points to the score if they fix it. In a way, that is kind of fair, publishers should be punished when they release broken games.

Sterling is odd, and when one little thing irritates him about a game, he lets it colour his entire view.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
plufim said:
Sterling is odd, and when one little thing irritates him about a game, he lets it colour his entire view.
I guess so. He also gave Vanquish and Castlevania:LoS both a 5.0. He's been so dead wrong so many times (in my opinion) that I don't take any of his reviews seriously.

OMG Aero

Desiato said:
I clicked on the Destructoid link, and my antivirus program is warning me for malware. WTF?
Your antivirus is trying to protect you from a professional troll.
I wouldn't even trust Jim Sterling's review of a game if he gave it a great score. The guy clearly trolls for page views.

VideoMan said:
I guess so. He also gave Vanquish and Castlevania:LoS both a 5.0. He's been so dead wrong so many times (in my opinion) that I don't take any of his reviews seriously.
Id score it a bit higher but Vanquish is extremely monotonous, short and barebones but people will kill for it here on Gaf and COD:BO is a broken, medicore version of the one before it with some new ideas sprinkled on top. The media is scared to be the ones to complain because of, among other things, reactions like this thread has so they hand out 10s. COD deserves that 6 on PC, maybe even lower.

That being said I look forward to playing Colors a lot. I'm not picky, I just want to have fun with Sonic again without awkward physics, a stretchy werewolf or a black knight in the way. Seems that has arrived.

Luigiv

NinjaFusion said:
Oh halp.

HALP.

Wii with sonic colours is 179 at Game.

..... Should I be going down this road again?

Edit: halp.
Well depends really, are you interested in other games on the system? Of what I played, Sonic Colours is good but not system seller good. Still if that's a good price (for your region) and you've have your eye on a number of other Wii games, you may as well go for it.

Despera

Banned
Sega1991 said:

2870jgg.jpg

Nicely played :lol

The fact that he made an article just for this proves that he enjoys acting like an attention whoring troll. I would really appreciate it if we never mention him ever again here.

gamingeek

More impressions.

I'm not a Sonic fan. I feel it's important to keep saying it, because Sonic has had such a long time mired in mediocrity. People assume that it's good for fans or good for a Sonic game. I feel it's important to make the distinction because this is a good game, regardless of sonic. I am a platform game fan and this is a good platform game, the gameplay - a lot of it 2D is very satisfying, clever and reminiscent of the 2D sonic games I found enjoyable in the past. I'm even enjoying the lock on now, especially in the 2D sections.

Colour me surprised, after the first world the game makes a huge upswing in quality. Everything seems better. First and foremost, you get some clever, inventive level design here. Also the graphics get better and some of the music is excellent fun, especially the pumping Sweets world tune.

I tried the game with the remote only sideways, works great in 2D but not useable in the going into the screen sections. I think the game would be best played with the classic controller if they let you switch between the analogue and d-pad at will. That said you do get much better with the nunchuk/remote combo.

Controls are Sonic like with a certain momentum. But anyhow what's important is that there is a lot of variety here. You have 8 wisps from the title screen which are essentially Sonic's equivalent of Mario mushrooms, fire flowers etc. But then the level design showcases some fun stuff.

There is this set of levels the one that looks like mario kart rainbow road in purple - they make sonic run on rails and continually push forward regardless of what you do with the controller. It also has a couple of - hit A now or instantly die sections which are irritating.

I came up against this boss which is ripped right out of mario galaxy, the pirate ship and boss design is awfully like those robots in mario galaxy - it even has this melody which sounds copied. He was great fun but quite difficult at the second stage as you couldn't lock onto him because of falling debris and you had to rely on when the game wanted to allow you to lock on.

Later I even tried replaying the earlier levels now I had the controls and sense of gameplay style down. Quite enjoyable. Still not sure how scores are ranked or worked out though. Looks like coins and time are the important parts? What about destroying enemies? What about the red star thing?

Chao

Finished it, I think it's hands down the best 3D Sonic so far. Power ups are fun, game is a bit on the short side but it has high replay value: you gotta get all those red rings and finish the Eggman simulator thing, and of course you'll want to get an S rank on all the levels.

There are classic badniks like
motobug, buzzbomber, caterkiller, crabmeat, grounder and jawz
which was a pleasant surprise for me.

Music is awesome, graphics are awesome, gameplay is awesome. Get this game.

Luigiv said:
Well depends really, are you interested in other games on the system? Of what I played, Sonic Colours is good but not system seller good. Still if that's a good price (for your region) and you've have your eye on a number of other Wii games, you may as well go for it.

Zelda... Epic Mickey.... Xenoblade.... Mohun 3.... Kirby's epic epicness.

And sonic colours all excite me to varying degrees.

..and donkey kong country returns

RobbieNick said:
To Destructoid:

"Here's a review copy of Sonic Colors now go fuck yourself."

Troll or not, it's not a good way to treat the media.

But yea, 4.5?! Troll is the accurate word.

Jim likes to give good games bad scores and atrocious games good scores for the sake of getting hits. The 4.5 was coming no matter what so they might as well tell him what a dick he is whilst he does it :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
gamingeek said:
Still not sure how scores are ranked or worked out though. Looks like coins and time are the important parts? What about destroying enemies? What about the red star thing?
Getting rings, grinding, killing enemies, sidestepping and breaking objects all give you points, whenever you get a red ring you get bonus points, and while a wisp power is activated you keep getting a color bonus too. Finishing the stage in a timely manner is important, as is grabbing/keeping as many rings as you can until the end, but following a path that allows you to get some (or all) red rings while using the wisps during the stage makes it easier to get a rank S. Just keep an eye on what gives you on-screen points during the acts (extra stuff like killing some lines of enemies with boosting or laser gives you a special "slam" bonus for instance) and how many points more the game says you still need on the ranking screen.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Blueblur1

Shadowlink said:
Amazon put $10 credit with the purchase of Sonic Colors, and it's $47.99.
They did? *goes to check*

Edit: Amazon is fucking amazing. As if $1 release date delivery wasn't already enough. :D

Shadowlink said:
Amazon put $10 credit with the purchase of Sonic Colors, and it's $47.99.

$47.99 + no tax + free shipping + release day delivery + $10 credit + awesome game= WIN

Yeah I just came here to post that. I ordered it, they also gave me another free Amazon Prime Trial, and they have Free Release date delivery. So I'll have the game on Tuesday lol.

I also have PokéPark Wii that I bought on Ebay. I just finished Kirby's Epic Yarn.

2010 has been an awesome year for gaming on the Wii IMO.

Top Bottom