• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

besiktas1

I'll allow you assholes to enjoy this game for a bit, I'll tune into this thread in a couple of weeks to bitch about the lack of a 360/ps3 version... :)

Why For?

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Not at all. Okay, I'm changing that part to something truly ludicrous, so that no-one gets it mixed up. It controls totally normally, Wiimote and Nunchuk or CC supported. (I think Gamecube as well?

Excuse my stupidity, but this is Sega we're talking about. Also, a Sonic game no less. What you posted in jest wasn't outrageous enough to be unbelievable. I'd totally expect Sega to do something that dumb.

AniHawk

MiamiWesker said:
Yeah I know but you only have to get through that once, then you can access every level in level selects and do all the missions, time trails, get high scores, etc.

I thought it was the only way between levels for about half of the game. :(

Bear

Awesome job on the OP :lol.

This actually looks like it could be good, seems like they're doing all the right things so far. I thought Secret Rings and Unleashed were pretty decent, and could've been quite good if they didn't muck it up with baffling design choices. For once that doesn't appear to be an issue.

I don't know why it's taken this long to get a 3D Sonic game to finally go for completely nonsensical level design, I thought it was obvious a long time ago that it would be the best direction for them to go. The attempts to put Sonic into semi-realistic settings was always off-putting. They should've taken a page from Nintendo and disregarded logic completely, it's the only way for any of it to make any degree of sense.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Why For? said:
Excuse my stupidity, but this is Sega we're talking about. Also, a Sonic game no less. What you posted in jest wasn't outrageous enough to be unbelievable. I'd totally expect Sega to do something that dumb.
Yeah, I know, they just might have....changed to something completely unbelievable. ;)

Why For?

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I know, they just might have....changed to something completely unbelievable. ;)

Still not far enough :D

Sega might ask we strap to Wii Remote Pluses to out legs and actually run at the speed of sound.

no really

rj118

Does this mean I have another game to play this month? The end of November is getting to be very full for me. Sega why did you have to go and break the cycle? :(

sfried

CurseoftheGods said:
I thought the Z and B thing was funnier. :lol
Please, bring this back! I thought it was a nice touch.

The fact that it fooled someone means it works! :lol

The Technomancer

sfried said:
Please, bring this back! I thought it was a nice touch.

The fact that it fooled someone means it works! :lol
Yeah, but I don't want people actually skipping the game because they read it :lol

xclaw

Watching the DS footage actually made me pull out and play some Rush..... I'll definitely be getting the DS version on launch.

I'm still not sure about the DS one. It is basically Sonic Rush with wisps, but no tricks. It's weird having the Boost Bar without tricks... The demo was still quite fun, but without tricks, it just felt like a lesser Sonic Rush. The homing attack's pretty nice, though.

The Wii version is a definite must buy for me, though. It looks and sounds amazing in every way.

Salsa

Why would you do that? said:
I'm still not sure about the DS one. It is basically Sonic Rush with wisps, but no tricks. It's weird having the Boost Bar without tricks... The demo was still quite fun, but without tricks, it just felt like a lesser Sonic Rush. The homing attack's pretty nice, though.

Tricks are pretty much unnecesary man, i wont miss them. Homing Attack is much more interesting if done correctly.

sfried

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, but I don't want people actually skipping the game because they read it :lol
I'd assume GAF would have some level of intelligence to discern the prank from the facts.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This is the first time I've been this hyped for a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure!! BRING IT!!!!!!!

Looks like the best Sonic game in ages. But still....Where is the "whoop" jumping noise?! It's iconic, I don't know why SEGA has ditched it these past few years.

Firestorm

aztrex said:
Haha when I read the Z and A button alternately thing, I immediately thought 'they may have actually done that, those fucks' and stopped reading :lol Ten minutes later I came back to this thread and kept reading.

PREORDER REDEEMED!
I almost believed the balance board thing before remembering that people said this game looked decent.

We're not at a high note in this series :lol

The Technomancer

I didn't want to color the OP with my personal impressions too much, outside of the satire, but who else watches this in motion and wonders where Sega got their hands on the Galaxy engine? This is one of the prettiest games on Wii, and the art direction is fan-fucking-tasting. The Planet Wisp and Tropical Resort screens make my jaw drop.

RobbieNick

YAY!! It's up!! Thanks for using my OT suggestion Technomancer. (Except for the CUBE! Part.) OP Looks fantastic!!

Less than two weeks away for America. I'm so pumped!:D

Eric C

Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast in '99 was the first and last 3D Sonic game I bought. But... I think this could be the first 3D Sonic game I'll buy in over a decade!

I just hope the positive impressions don't turn negative after it's released. So far from what little I've seen of it, it actually looks fun.

Teknoman

TheShampion said:
You, me, and the Cube

Death by Cube!

Yeah, actually I don`t get it either. This game looks pretty rad tho.

Cube power up, announcer yells "CUBE!", sounds funny to yell such a mundane word.

jambo

Pre-ordered this yesterday, I get a Sonic hat.

gqwrk.jpg

Will wear when playing.

Sciz

I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to believe that this game really exists. It shouldn't; there's no reason or precedent to suggest that Sonic Team is capable of it. There are fifteen years of past history that all point to this game being an impossibility.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but after so many years of cutting themselves off at the knees, it seems that Sega is finally down to their last leg.

Teknoman said:
Cube power up, announcer yells "CUBE!", sounds funny to yell such a mundane word.

Gotcha. I wasn`t really interested in this game until I saw this thread, but maybe I will look at some trailers just to get some CUBE action.

Thai

Bane was better.
The_Technomancer said:
Sources have it the team behind Sonic Colors has no idea what makes a fun game. The controls are abysmal and their bizarre decision to only support the Balance board as a control input, flailing your legs in real time with Sonic's legs, is exhausting and inaccurate. And unfortunately only about a third of the game is spent running around, while the rest of the time is spent navigating an old-school text adventure in an attempt to reach the next planet. However the levels where you take control of a sentient Zucchini are said to actually be fun, especially the way they integrate aspects of pixel-hunting exploration.

son of a bitch...i actually believed a lot of that, since i wouldn't put it pass sega.

anyways, if this sucks, SEGA, please give the franchise to Studio Liverpool or Insomniac.

Teknoman

Wtf, the DS demo...is fun :D Glad theres no more trick system (hey, hey, whoo, yeah! got annoying) And it seems like the physics were adjusted a little (you cant walk around loops as easy as in Rush).

Thai said:
anyways, if this sucks, SEGA, please give the franchise to Studio Liverpool or Insomniac.

Ew, why? So Insomniac can add guns? I'd honestly rather see some unknown developer handle Sonic, than a team who drove their platforming series in the ground.

AniHawk

FrostuTheNinja said:
Ew, why? So Insomniac can add guns? I'd honestly rather see some unknown developer handle Sonic, than a team who drove their platforming series in the ground.

A Crack in Time was excellent. Also, Insomniac has made platformers without guns before.

They wouldn't be my first choice either, but Insomniac's good people.

AniHawk said:
A Crack in Time was excellent. Also, Insomniac has made platformers without guns before.

They wouldn't be my first choice either, but Insomniac's good people.

Eh, I only enjoyed the original Ratchet and Clank. The rest seemed like garbage to me.

Was a Crack in Time really that wonderful? Was it a return to form?

Also, Spyro is fairly solid. But really, the next dev to handle Sonic?

Speevy

Banned
Hasn't Sonic reached that stage where releasing a good game has almost no effect on the public's perception or reaction?

AniHawk

FrostuTheNinja said:
Eh, I only enjoyed the original Ratchet and Clank. The rest seemed like garbage to me.

Was a Crack in Time really that wonderful? Was it a return to form?

Also, Spyro is fairly solid. But really, the next dev to handle Sonic?

See, I thought Going Commando was far better than the first and the best in the series until A Crack in Time. A Crack in Time has a lot of platforming in it too. Up Your Arsenal went too actiony (although I still liked it), and I haven't touched Tools of Destruction yet.

AniHawk

Speevy said:
Hasn't Sonic reached that stage where releasing a good game has almost no effect on the public's perception or reaction?

Probably yeah, but Sega's said recently that they want to build up the brand again by putting him in better games.

Sonic's never been an outstanding seller anyway. The first one did 15m worldwide, but after that it was a sharp decline to 6m for Sonic 2, and then the series has hovered between 2-4m with each new release since then. I think Heroes might've actually outsold the combined total of Sonic 3 & Knuckles too.

RobbieNick

FrostuTheNinja said:
Eh, I only enjoyed the original Ratchet and Clank. The rest seemed like garbage to me. Are you high?!!

Was a Crack in Time really that wonderful? YES!! Was it a return to form? YES! When did it leave?!

Seriously, what's wrong with you?!! Sure, up your arsenal was too heavy on the shooting, but the rest was great!!

DeVeAn

Mama Robotnik said:
Nice OP, cynical yet optimistic, an interesting mix!

I'm not going near this game at present, I've suffered enough. I remember hearing really positive things about Sonic and the Secret Rings, and took the chance on it: it was so awful that I felt bad trading it in, because some other poor bastard might but it preowned and suffer the same fate that I did. Its music was probably the worst I've played in any game, I mean it actually made me angry hearing it over and over again, it was that bad.

I'm curious where is the sting is going to be in this game? I'm not speaking green eyes and "Eggman", but the following:

Do the Whisps talk with annoying voices, like the rest of Sonic's Shitty Little Friends?

Does the game suffer the same dire voice acting that has plagued the series since Sonic Adventure?

Are the cutscenes skippable?

Is the music awful?

Is that bloody homing attack still taking over the gameplay for us?

If the answers to these questions are unexpectedly positive, I'd be tempted to give this a look.

Ugh, so the DS port is just Sonic Rush 3 then?
I would say just give up on Sonic games, you don't seem to enjoy them anymore. Why torture yourself?

Hey Technomancer, just a heads up: you used borrow instead of burrow in the yellow wisp description. Though to be fair, I'm sure that when Sonic does need to borrow something, he does it at high speeds as well.

I am so sorry

Top Bottom