• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thai said:
son of a bitch...i actually believed a lot of that, since i wouldn't put it pass sega.

anyways, if this sucks, SEGA, please give the franchise to Studio Liverpool or Insomniac.
I don't believe it sucks and giving it to Insomniac would be the worst decision since releasing Sonic 2006. What makes you think Insomniac could do a good Sonic game? Their only real platformers (Spyro) are a boring piece of garbage and slow as fuck. I don't want a team that has never released a good platformer to produce the next Sonic.

zigg

I'm kind of bummed that I set myself up to review the DS game while another of our writers takes the Wii version. :lol Want to play the latter more...

Mael

'Knucles is Red,
Sonic is blue,
This game is good,
Sega is shockd too'

:lol
Okay that made me :lol so much thread and game redeemed!
Seriously the Sonic cycle is finally put out of its misery! (until next time)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
jambo said:
Pre-ordered this yesterday, I get a Sonic hat.

gqwrk.jpg

Will wear when playing.

What the hell, is this available in the UK? I want this hat for my desk. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Hey Technomancer, just a heads up: you used borrow instead of burrow in the yellow wisp description. Though to be fair, I'm sure that when Sonic does need to borrow something, he does it at high speeds as well.

I am so sorry
Ah-fix-ed.

TheShampion said:
Gotcha. I wasn`t really interested in this game until I saw this thread, but maybe I will look at some trailers just to get some CUBE action.
I really recommend checking out the gameplay vids in the OP. They give you a good sense of how it plays and flows

Iceberg

In Spain, the Sonic hat (Gorra erizo / Hedgehog cap) is available when making a preorder on the DS or Wii version of the game at the GAME ES website.

Will get mine next week :D

nds_soniccolours_3695.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
OP sets the right tone for this game. Good job, technomancer.

and awesome art, Lijik. :lol

Varjet

The_Technomancer said:
Added to the OP, thanks.

EDIT: My German is rusty. Do they say its the best Wii game since Galaxy 2 at the end?
They say it's one of the best Sonic games ever and it can hold its own against Galaxy 2 which it obviously draws inspiration from.

Nishastra

Banned
I want to know more about the preorder hat. If I were to get it, I'd want to actually wear it, but I have a fairly large head and "one size fits all" hats never fit me :p

Either way, I can't wait to get the game.

Round of applause for the OP and opening image.

I'm passing on getting it on launch so that I can instead get it for Christmas, that means it's got high expectations to live up to. And that soundtrack is SO pre-ordered already - I could listen to Planet Wisp Act 1 all day.

mattx5

TimmiT said:
Video review by the German GamePro with new gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ecHD-DeBY

OH MAN

Sonic running over water and then diving under with a school of fish swarming around him. Beautiful small touches. I`ve been going through all the media and the music is great too, very F-Zeroish.

Looks like it`d be fun just running around really fast while listening to the awesome ambient music.

OMG Aero

Iceberg said:
In Spain, the Sonic hat (Gorra erizo / Hedgehog cap) is available when making a preorder on the DS or Wii version of the game at the GAME ES website.

Will get mine next week :D

nds_soniccolours_3695.jpg
Does anyone know if anywhere in UK is offering the hat as a pre-order bonus? I checked Game and they don't seem to be offering anything.
I recently got a Mario hat from the stars catalogue and it would feel right to have a Sonic hat sat next to it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AniHawk said:
The significance of a good Sonic game hitting within a week of a new DKC on the same console just hit me.

It's pretty crazy to think of all the awesome platformers that we've had the pleasure of playing this year. The Sly Collection will be out next tuesday as well so November should be one hell of a month for the genre.

First second third fourth time's a charm?

(Only counting Sonic platformers on the Wii, excluding Riders, All-stars Racing, and Olympics).

AniHawk

Well, I mean from a historical perspective, and that the last time this happened was 1994 when DKC killed Sonic's spotlight and gave the SNES its second wind.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just played through the DS demo 3 times.

On my first run I lost all my rings to spikes falling from the top to bottom screen!

Second run I made it to the end with no problem and realized I hadn't seen any bottomless pits besides the one right after the glider segment so... I turned around, jumped, and killed myself! :lol

Third run I tried using that red powerup alien thing and was quickly annoyed by how noisy and rough it was to use.

I hate that Sonic has a double jump that screwed me up a couple times, why can't he just jump up and down like normal? Wall jumping caught me off guard but I think that can at least be pretty useful. Its not quite Rush but from the first area/act fun so I'll be keeping a closer eye on this game now. Does anyone know yet what the special stages are like?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Updated the OP slightly with what was one of the turning points in my optimism for this game:
To put this in perspective folks: at one point drifting around turns in the game was handled by tilting the nunchuck. You may realize that this is a f**king stupid idea. Then, in later builds, it was turned into a button press. Someone on the team was cutting out f**king stupid ideas!

:D

plufim

faridmon said:
WTF? £32 is kind of steep for a music album...

I am tempted....
If it contains all the remixes of each level, then it'll be a pretty big compilation.

Hey OP, I think the last level isn't going to be the satelite, but the spite that juts out of the first world (pointing down to earth). You'll see on the level select screens it also has a "locked" icon on it. Probably the final boss fight there.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A fantastic game. Not just a step in the right direction, but an unequivocal success. In fact, it's the best entry in the series since the Blue Blur's 16-bit heyday.

Hasn't Nintendo Power pretty much said the exact same shit for pretty much every Sonic after the 'blue blur's 16 bit heydey'?

C.Redfield

Neo Member
we can see the influence of mario galaxy in the music and the map too.

But again i think it's not my kind of game. Sonic seems too much hard to control, and invincible.
Why dont they make a 2D sonic with bonus stage like this? it would be perfect for an old fan

Kard8p3

Oblivion said:
Hasn't Nintendo Power pretty much said the exact same shit for pretty much every Sonic after the 'blue blur's 16 bit heydey'?

The guy that reviewed Colors for NP came into one of the other topics and explained things. He didn't review the other Sonic games but he said if he did he would have rated them considerably lower.

AniHawk said:
Probably yeah, but Sega's said recently that they want to build up the brand again by putting him in better games.

Sonic's never been an outstanding seller anyway. The first one did 15m worldwide, but after that it was a sharp decline to 6m for Sonic 2, and then the series has hovered between 2-4m with each new release since then. I think Heroes might've actually outsold the combined total of Sonic 3 & Knuckles too.

I hate that we live in an age where 4m isn't outstanding for a videogame.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
There is something different going on here.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be a glitch in the matrix somewhere somehow.

This is a new Sonic game, right? And it was made by Sega, yes?

Lastly, the game is not mediocre to terrible? Is this correct?

We may have a serious problem. Getting a very Donnie Darko vibe.

Top Bottom