• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Berordn

if I buy the direct download PC version from Amazon, can I activate that on Steam?
It's a Steamworks game, so you're required to.

I'm really glad my budget this month's been completely spent so I can't pick up the 3DS version on a whim. And here I was at least hoping to get half of a sequel to Rush.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The more I hear about the 3DS version, the more disappointed I am. I really wanted a new Sonic game for my 3DS. :(
Well... It seems like RobbieNick liked some things I didn't, so it's probably a YMMV type of game.

I'll write up some impressions tomorrow... I need to think about it some more without tearing the game to shreds by only listing what I didn't like about it... because there are some bits I was fine with too.

Classic Sonic has a "push against walls" animation in this version, which wasn't present in the HD version (except for when he had to push blocks or something).

Edit: I guess I can talk a little more about Time Eater.
You don't have your shitty friends saying things while you fight, so that's good. No "I think that's a Homing Attack", "be careful", switch perspectives, etc. The perspectives switch on their own, btw. For the first part, you're fighting in 2D space, where he uses the Homing Missiles, the laser, and hits you with his fist. In the second part, you're fighting in 3D space where you boost towards him. He can attack you with lock on attacks (I dodged these, so I didn't get to see what they were, his hands smashing against you (which you need to dodge with down + B), a headbutt or something like that (which you dodge with down + B) and a clock (dodge the hands). You hit his core, just like in the HD version
. All bosses in this game, excluding the Rival races, need 8 hits to finish them off.

It really sucks that you can't change the music for that boss. >_<

The more I hear about the 3DS version, the more disappointed I am. I really wanted a new Sonic game for my 3DS. :(
It is new!

And by new I mean remakes old levels with shitty physics and masquerades itself as new.

The Water Palace thing is the best. I can understand reusing the classic levels, because those were actually good, but "borrowing" from such a nostalgic and memorable game as Sonic Rush...

RobbieNick

It is new!

And by new I mean remakes old levels with shitty physics and masquerades itself as new.

It's in reverse this time. It takes good, old physics (for classic anyway) and puts them in Shitty levels. XD

Actually, Water Palace and Tropical Resort are fairly decent. Dreamcast era was complete shit. Especially Radical Highway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's in reverse this time. It takes good, old physics (for classic anyway) and puts them in Shitty levels. XD

Actually, Water Palace and Tropical Resort are fairly decent. Dreamcast era was complete shit. Especially Radical Highway.
I had to turn the volume off for Radical Highway. So awful.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's my favourite line from the ending!
Modern Sonic: Hope that Boost helps you out in the future. I mean the past.
Classic Sonic: :D *boosts across the screen*

Teknoman

I guess Sonic 4 episode 2 will be boost+homing attack then. Well as long as they fix the controls/physics and have some nice original stage layouts/music.

nns3d

Just finished the game... you guys weren't exaggerating about how bad the final boss is haha. The nosedive in quality is just amazing.

Overall, it's a good game (7-8/10 is what I'd give it), my biggest complaint is just the Modern levels were just... dull. Crisis City with Classic Sonic was fantastic, Modern Sonic was just OK. I found both versions of Rooftop Run were alright, but Planet Wisp was a drag. The over-emphasis on the wisp powers is what really brings it down. Which is a shame, that was my favorite level in Sonic Colors and I really wanted to like Planet Wisp :( Out of the 3 eras I'd have to say DC>>Genesis>>>>>>>>Modern.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmm... I just went through a few Act 1 missions with Classic Sonic in the 3DS version and once you gain
Homing Attack
, you gain it forever. You can use it in the missions (as opposed to it being unavailable in the missions in the HD version).

Kind of takes away from the "Kill 10 enemies in Act 1" missions, since they're so easy with that particular skill... though it might make the "make it through the level without killing anything" missions a little harder?

MIMIC

Banned
How did some of you get all of the achievements already??? Seems like these challenges go on FOREVER -_-

I'm going in order of the levels and I just finished the Crisis City challenges with modern and classic Sonic. After I finish those (and do the boss achievement), I'll be done.

RobbieNick

I had to turn the volume off for Radical Highway. So awful.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's my favourite line from the ending!
Modern Sonic: Hope that Boost helps you out in the future. I mean the past.
Classic Sonic: :D *boosts across the screen*

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Clearly a setup for boost in Sonic 4.2.

Dimps just said fuck it, let's make Sonic Rush 5.

For the record that goes: Sonic Rush - Sonic Rush Adventure - Sonic Colors DS - Sonic Generations 3DS - Sonic 4 Episode II.

Clearly a setup for boost in Sonic 4.2.

Dimps just said fuck it, let's make Sonic Rush 5.

For the record that goes: Sonic Rush - Sonic Rush Adventure - Sonic Colors DS - Sonic Generations 3DS - Sonic 4 Episode II.

Episode 1's controls were basically Sonic Rush minus the boost, so if they added boost to Episode 2... yeah, I might be okay with that. I mean, it would still be kind of ridiculous in a game called Sonic 4, but it might make for a more fun game, I dunno.

RobbieNick

Hmmm...Sonic Generations isn't really anything like Sonic Rush. Modern Sonic is more like his console self than he is like in the Rush series.

So, get this. Just beat the Egg Emporer only to find out in order to even get to the final boos, you have to get all seven Chaos emeralds. Problem is, those special stages get progressively harder as you go. It's like if in Sonic 2, you had to beat all seven special stages to even view the final stage or the regular ending.

RobbieNick

Tropical Resort Modern is the best Modern level. Not only is the music hyper but it has that Dimps "Go! Go! Go! Hurry!" Fast-paced feel to it. If more of the modern levels were like that, I'd be much happier with the game.

I'll have a review up no later than Friday, but right now this game is hovering around a C and this is coming from a very optimistic tolerant Sonic fan.

0 HP

Episode 1's controls were basically Sonic Rush minus the boost, so if they added boost to Episode 2... yeah, I might be okay with that. I mean, it would still be kind of ridiculous in a game called Sonic 4, but it might make for a more fun game, I dunno.

they won't have boost in episode 2. its contradictory to the physics they already have in episode 1. the way sonic stops moving horizontally in the air when you let go of a direction, along with the slow start running, was to complement level design that required more platforming. ep1 didn't exactly set a very high bar in that regard, but adding boost would throw it all out the window.

JonCha

At this point, I just don't get what Sonic 4 is. It's been blown away by Classic Sonic in Generation, so if they use the same physics/music direction/level design then it'll be embarrassed.

And the new Tropic Resort music is awesome. Blows the original away.

Does anyone have the 3DS version? The reviews don't look to favorable ( thanks a lot DIMPS ) but I'll still probably bite. If it really sucks, then I'll just ask for it for Christmas or wait for a sale

they won't have boost in episode 2. its contradictory to the physics they already have in episode 1. the way sonic stops moving horizontally in the air when you let go of a direction, along with the slow start running, was to complement level design that required more platforming. ep1 didn't exactly set a very high bar in that regard, but adding boost would throw it all out the window.

It's really not so much of a stretch to have the ability to boost in an environment like that. Boosting does not mean an absence of platforming, as Sonic Generations has shown.

So what are you supposed to do when going through the loops? You can't just push forward? Do you have to move the joystick in the motion of the loop? And this game is really buggy for me so far. So many times I've glitched through something and died.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega64 has done a new video about Sonic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6b6HYHcF0A
Hah, it's nice to see a video where they aren't completely down on the series.

Tropical Resort Modern is the best Modern level. Not only is the music hyper but it has that Dimps "Go! Go! Go! Hurry!" Fast-paced feel to it. If more of the modern levels were like that, I'd be much happier with the game.

I'll have a review up no later than Friday, but right now this game is hovering around a C and this is coming from a very optimistic tolerant Sonic fan.
I agree. Tropical Resort Modern didn't force you to use Laser at every turn, but I thought it was nice that Classic Sonic's version had him use a Colours DS-exclusive wisp. Really liked what they did with Tropical Resort. Perhaps it's because Dimps has experience with it. Basically in terms of originality and gameplay, Modern Era > Genesis Era >>>>>>>>>> Dreamcast Era.

Honestly, the Dreamcast levels were the worst. They overstayed their welcome. I felt that way about some of the bosses too. The rival races, as I've said, felt like they were Sonic Rivals-Lite races.

I was also planning to give it a 3/5 / 60-65%. As much as I seemed down on the game prior to getting it, I didn't really go into it thinking it was going to be that bad. I was a little surprised to be honest... I'll write up some impressions when I get home. I've finished off some more missions, and I don't really mind the missions at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does anyone have the 3DS version? The reviews don't look to favorable ( thanks a lot DIMPS ) but I'll still probably bite. If it really sucks, then I'll just ask for it for Christmas or wait for a sale
I wouldn't advise getting this game for full MSRP.

I ended up asking for Super Mario 3D Land for Christmas, but I kinda feel like I should've gotten that one Day 1 instead, and asked for this for Christmas. :lol

Wait, this is already out for the 3DS? I thought it was delayed until next year...
No. It came out yesterday. Honestly, it should have stayed in the oven a bit longer...

RobbieNick

Wait, this is already out for the 3DS? I thought it was delayed until next year...

No, but judging by the Dreamcast era alone, it should have. It feels rushed. Not in the "tons of glitches" way, but in the fact that they only got a basic layout for some levels and didn't get time to fine tune them and add some more fun features. This is especially present in Radical highway in which Classic Sonic is literally running on a flat stretch of road for over ten seconds with no interaction with anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is especially present in Radical highway in which Classic Sonic is literally running on a flat stretch of road for over ten seconds with no interaction with anything.
I never ever want to play through Radical Highway again. It was so bad.

Even I know Dimps can do better. How long did they work on this... 6-8 months?

MIMIC

Banned
Only Planet Wisp challenges to complete and I'll be done with the challenges. ^_^

Went into the movie gallery and selected one of the cutscenes:

Modern Sonic: (referring to Green Hill Zone) Is it me, or that place we were just in awfully familiar?
Tails: Not to me.

I lol'd =p

Oh and NONE of the Sonic & Knuckles music sounds like the original. WTF

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I spent some time with the 3DS game as well. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Generations 3DS is to Generations HD as Sonic 1 Gamegear is to Sonic 1 Genesis. The actual visual design is quite weak with poor quality character models that don't animate all that smoothly and very empty background design. Heck, I'd say that, if they had created a "2.5D" Sonic game on the Saturn it would have felt a lot like this. The classic Sonic in particular feels surprisingly close to the older games but it feels a bit stiff in comparison.

The modern Sonic levels play fine as well, but I'm still disappointed they didn't attempt something more ambitious. Surely they could have at least aimed for Sonic Adventure 2 quality stages. I'm sure they couldn't pull off the same types of levels as the console game, but Dreamcast level stages should not have been difficult.

Ubisoft should go back to the Rabbids.

JBTTM.gif

0 HP

So what are you supposed to do when going through the loops? You can't just push forward? Do you have to move the joystick in the motion of the loop? And this game is really buggy for me so far. So many times I've glitched through something and died.

you can only do tricks through the rainbow colored rings. you can do whatever you want, but i just hold up since there's a good chance you're just going to be holding up again once you hit the ground.

edit: nvm

ShadiWulf

i've noticed that sonic1sonichedgehog/mariotehplumber hasn't done anything on youtube in a while, I wonder if he took a road trip to New York to attempt to assassin the modern hentai sonic balloon

MarkusRJR

The worst part is how lazy Sonic Generations on 3DS feels. Mushroom Hill Act 1 has a checkpoint literally 2 seconds before the end. I understand it was there in Sonic and Knuckles, but it doesn't make sense in the context of this game.

Top Bottom