• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Nert

i've noticed that sonic1sonichedgehog/mariotehplumber hasn't done anything on youtube in a while, I wonder if he took a road trip to New York to attempt to assassin the modern hentai sonic balloon

I hope to see more stuff from him soon. That channel has entertained me more than anything else on YouTube.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This review kind of falls in line with what I think of the 3DS version. I had to babysit today, so didn't get a chance to write final impressions. Tomorrow, though. I agree--I really like what they did with Classic Sonic's playstyle in the 3DS version. It feels like a faithful representation. The level designs post-Sonic 3&K, though? Ugh. Forget them.

Like I said before, I thought the 3DS version was kind of in the middle. It wasn't very bad, but it wasn't very good either. It's just... there.

TSSZ (Sonic Generations 3DS) - 3/5

Once the game stops lifting layouts from the Genesis titles for Classic Sonic, the first thing it does is
teach him a Homing Attack. This becomes a permanent addition to your ability set, and unlike the console version where it served as an extra, optional reward skill that only made the game easier, it’s integrated into the 3DS version’s level design, requiring its use to reach certain routes and shortcuts.

And even with this aside, the Classic stages become a shadow of the Genesis format they first mimic, losing much of their depth and branching for more linear, sometimes clumsy layouts, with strange design choices such as offering useless rings just a few steps before the end-of-level signpost. The true shame is that these original levels fail to showcase the extremely faithful physics of Classic Sonic, outperforming the console version’s accuracy in many regards. Ramps, rolling, jumping, they’ll feel like second nature very quickly. They made a terrific Classic Sonic, and they stuck him in some of the most boring, heavy-handed stages they could think of.

...3DS Modern Sonic stages are entirely 2D gameplay, save for one or two very brief end-of-stage moments. The game seems to think tilting the viewpoint to “dynamic” angles will disguise this, when it just makes judging certain jumps trickier. At first I wanted to excuse the game for simplifying Modern Sonic to 2D play because of the power of the system, but then I remembered that I wasn’t dealing with a DS game. The 3DS version could have come much closer to replicating modern console gameplay. Without 3D gameplay, and with Classic Sonic earning a Homing Attack early on, the difference between the two comes down to the Boost. And this game is crazy about Boost. While the console version punished blind boosting, the portable version seems to expect it for the most part, your weakest moments being when you’ve drained the meter dry. It particularly encourages Air Boosting...
You can read more at the link. It's quite detailed and points out many flaws, but many good attributes as well. I'd advise waiting a little bit for bomba pricing.

6323443393_ce436402e5_z.jpg

Dont miss this later today! I hear sonic is leading the parade!

Have been playing Generations for 3DS all morning, Classic Feels tight and he can roll so its better then HD classic. Modern levels seem almost too fast and take time to master but it brings back memories of Sonic Rush! I say pick this up on 3DS if you have the money to get it.

Its a great title! I picked this up with Mario 3D Land and getting Kart in 2 weeks!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huh? What channel is this? (I'm Canadian, so we celebrated our Thanksgiving last month!) Edit: nvm found it. I've never seen the parade live before! It's so extravagant. Babar~

Ah, I probably missed it. It'll be YouTubed eventually.

SykoTech

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the Final Boss. What a shame, all of the other bosses are a lot of fun. Best in the series actually. But then they go blow the most important one in every possible way.

Foffy

Banned
I hope it didn't hurt anyone this time. :p

This parade is so interesting. I've never been home to watch one before due to school or other things. It seems like such a huge deal in the States...

It's a tradition in New York to have a parade every Thanksgiving. There's always some game company having a balloon or a float of some sort.

Pretty surprised Sega did one for Sonic.

EDIT: Here's video.

Already underway, man. You and I both missed Sonic starting it off.

It might be on tape delay for each time zone as I saw a "starts at 9pm everywhere" ad this morning. So those of you in the pacific timeline might be able to catch it from the beginning, though I'm not certain of any of this.

MIMIC

Banned
So I'm trying to get the final boss achievement and not only are both Sonics BOUNCING UP AND DOWN in the tunnel, but at times they TURN AROUND and start flying in the wrong direction.

Did I get a defective copy or something >_<

Articalys

Oh man, Splash Hill Zone music in the background while the balloon is onscreen. Sega be trollin'.
As soon as I heard that playing I knew someone on GAF was going to comment on it XD
Apparently it's the version from the Sonic/Mario London Olympics game, if the comments from the video Foffy posted are accurate. Single best of those comments:
top youtube comment said:
GOTTA&#65279; FLOAT FAST

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's a tradition in New York to have a parade every Thanksgiving. There's always some game company having a balloon or a float of some sort.

Pretty surprised Sega did one for Sonic.

EDIT: Here's video.
Thanks a lot! The balloon looks nice. I was thinking that this parade looks way more extravagant than our Santa Claus parades (which are usually a weekend before American Thanksgiving). LOL at Splash Hill music.

Yeah, Sonic had a balloon in 1993. He knocked down a lamppost which injured a police officer and a child, apparently.

So I'm trying to get the final boss achievement and not only are both Sonics BOUNCING UP AND DOWN in the tunnel, but at times they TURN AROUND and start flying in the wrong direction.

Did I get a defective copy or something >_<
No. The final boss battle is all kinds of unpolished. If you feel like you got stuck, restart.

Also, switch the music to something better.

MIMIC

Banned
Thanks a lot! The balloon looks nice. I was thinking that this parade looks way more extravagant than our Santa Claus parades (which are usually a weekend before American Thanksgiving). LOL at Splash Hill music.

Yeah, Sonic had a balloon in 1993. He knocked down a lamppost which injured a police officer and a child, apparently.

No. The final boss battle is all kinds of unpolished. If you feel like you got stuck, restart.

Haha, I already did. "Open Your Heart" FTW ^_^

Also, I beat it again, but apparently I took some damage. How am I supposed to know whether or not I took damage or not? There really is not clear indication. Maybe when I got close and when the boss clasped his hands together?

EDIT: Is boosting through objects considering "taking a hit"? I notice that when I do, Sonic seemingly gets knocked back a bit even though he boosted through it. Maybe I should just avoid objects all together.

Teknoman

looooool, the Splash Hill music. Wasn't the guy recording playing that?

Nope Splash Hill was live in the parade.

Well...at least he hit the checkpoint. But in all seriousness, how did the balloon knock over the lampost? Shouldnt it have ripped apart like that dino float (We're back)?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I already did. "Open Your Heart" FTW ^_^

Also, I beat it again, but apparently I took some damage. How am I supposed to know whether or not I took damage or not? There really is not clear indication. Maybe when I got close and when the boss clasped his hands together?

EDIT: Is boosting through objects considering "taking a hit"? I notice that when I do, Sonic seemingly gets knocked back a bit even though he boosted through it. Maybe I should just avoid objects all together.
I think damage registers when the boss hits you with his hands and fist, when the homing attack hits you, and when you get hit by parts of the levels (like the buildings and debris--though it seems like damage registering happens at random when it comes to the debris)? It's best to stay away from everything, even if you think you should boost into something. :/

It's poorly constructed. Honestly the one in the 3DS version is soooo much better.

Well...at least he hit the checkpoint. But in all seriousness, how did the balloon knock over the lampost? Shouldnt it have ripped apart like that dino float (We're back)?
:lol... It was probably really windy that day.

Oh my god... I remember renting that movie so many times when I was little.

Christopher

Open Your Heart is better than Live and Learn I don't know why so many people always go crazy over L&L overall this game was very satisfying what would have made it better was probably a better story and maybe a hub world that was good. More meatier would have been Sonic's friends go through his boards with slighly different changes.

Seik

Banned

MIMIC

Banned
So I was on my 3rd attack (before he throws the fireball) and the game fucking flipped around (and put the pink core was BEHIND Sonic) and I got smashed. In fact, I was already latched on to the pink core and Sonic detached and that's when the game flipped around.

Good times with this POS boss -_-

But at least I'm getting the hang of it.

EDIT: I DID IT!!!
3rAav.gif
Finally @_@ About 80 lives and no more money (lol), I finally got the achievement.

That thing tried to smash me TWICE when I was going for the core. But I was ready for that bullshit ^_^. And stupidly, I only just realized that that buzzing sound meant that I was about to get smashed. I originally thought that it meant that I was close to latching on to the core. Then it occurred to me that the the "you're on the core" notification SFX differed from the other buzzing sound. DERP

SykoTech

EDIT: I DID IT!!!
3rAav.gif
Finally @_@ About 80 lives and no more money (lol), I finally got the achievement.

That thing tried to smash me TWICE when I was going for the core. But I was ready for that bullshit ^_^. And stupidly, I only just realized that that buzzing sound meant that I was about to get smashed. I originally thought that it meant that I was close to latching on to the core. Then it occurred to me that the the "you're on the core" notification SFX differed from the other buzzing sound. DERP

Wish I would have realized that. I was too busy hearing "HOMING SHOT" and yelling at the friends to shut up. Guess that will come in handy when I go for the "no damage" thing.

Wish I would have realized that. I was too busy hearing "HOMING SHOT" and yelling at the friends to shut up. Guess that will come in handy when I go for the "no damage" thing.

Oh shitty friends. Why you gotta talk so much. Although Eggman isn't much better for the Dragoon Boss fight, surprised no one has really mentioned him.

"HOW ABOUT A CHANGE OF PACE!?"

SykoTech

Oh shitty friends. Why you gotta talk so much. Although Eggman isn't much better for the Dragoon Boss fight, surprised no one has really mentioned him.

PREPARE TO BE SKEWERED.

Honestly though, I guess I'm just used to Eggman spazzing out like that. It's been that way since "GET A LOAD OF THIS" from Sonic Adventure. Not to mention his voice isn't as annoying as some of Sonic's friends (dammit Cream).

Hellish

Anyone who has played both PC and on Xbox 360, do you feel on PC the controller does not feel as fluent?

using ms adapters/controllers (no 3rd party stuff)

Lijik

Oh man! Finally bought the game last night on Steam and started the download today.
Knowing I get more Eggman shouting out the same damn quote pumps me up in the dumbest way possible. I love that shit.
"Why you little... WHY YOU LITTLE"
"GET A - GET A - GET A LOUD OF THIS"

MIMIC

Banned

I have to credit the friends a little bit though: they warned me when I was about to get smashed ("Watch out Sonic", or something like that) and it was at the same time that honking/buzzing sound was happening. After I realized that, I completely tuned them out and just waited for the honking/buzzing sound.

Oh man! Finally bought the game last night on Steam and started the download today.
Knowing I get more Eggman shouting out the same damn quote pumps me up in the dumbest way possible. I love that shit.
"Why you little... WHY YOU LITTLE"
"GET A - GET A - GET A LOUD OF THIS"
Haha, I love it in a dumb kind of way too. Which upsets me that Generations didn't bother to include "TAKE THIS" or "ITS NO USE" for Silver, or even "This is the ultim-CHAOSS CONTROLLLLL" for Shadow's boss fight. Oh well.

"No way!! I can't believe this!!"

qq more

Man, I thought Eggman said HOW ABOUT A CHANGE OF FATE. That sounded kind of... badass. Oh well.

By the way, my relatives were here for Thanksgiving. One of them who is not even 10 yet wanted to play Sonic. So he played Unleashed for the PS3, he liked it until the werehog section, so he ragequit it and wanted to play another Sonic game. So he picked Sonic Generations. He ended up liking Classic Sonic more. (He still likes Modern Sonic though!) We both took turns playing, he played Classic, I played Modern. Had a fun time. He also thinks Sonic with a sword/gun/werehog/etc is stupid.

MIMIC

Banned
Man, I thought Eggman said HOW ABOUT A CHANGE OF FATE. That sounded kind of... badass. Oh well.

By the way, my relatives were here for Thanksgiving. One of them who is not even 10 yet wanted to play Sonic. So he played Unleashed for the PS3, he liked it until the werehog section, so he ragequit it and wanted to play another Sonic game. So he picked Sonic Generations. He ended up liking Classic Sonic more. (He still likes Modern Sonic though!) We both took turns playing, he played Classic, I played Modern. Had a fun time. He also thinks Sonic with a sword/gun/werehog/etc is stupid.

Smart kid =p

i think it's safe to say that your relatives are normal human beings.
with good taste

Haha isn't that the age range SEGA aimed for when including that shit? I'm glad he hates it too

Top Bottom