• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Yukinari

May feel a tad too similar to previous 16 bit entries

If that's the extent of the cons then that's amazing.

Sonic Mania is the Mega Man 9 of sonic games so id say we're long overdue.

Everyone says MM9 is good only cause its based on 2 but i really dont care.

ultrazilla

Sonic peeps: I'm trying to find where I can go buy this on the Nintendo Switch tomorrow. I'd prefer a physical copy.

Is the only physical copy the collector's edition they did(which is now pretty much sold out everywhere)?

Fireblend

Banned
Sonic peeps: I'm trying to find where I can go buy this on the Nintendo Switch tomorrow. I'd prefer a physical copy.

Is the only physical copy the collector's edition they did(which is now pretty much sold out everywhere)?
There are no physical copies at all. The collector's edition comes with a code.

Berordn

The CE only comes with a download card. There is no physical version.

LordKano

Yes, and it's still not a physical copy but a digital code inside.

muteki

You are out of luck, digital only.

TreIII

The Sonic game I've been waiting for since I finished S3&k back in 4th grade.

Needless to say, tonight is going to be very, very special.

chaog-4.png

ok what is this from

Exposing myself rn as a lesser Sonic fan

Pre-ordered the PSN version, got the icon showing up with the countdown. Chose the PSN version just for the various goodies you get, themes, avatars, trophies. But I will possibly double dip on the Switch or get a copy if/when the physical version comes out.

Yukinari

I kinda had a feeling that the returning levels might be a negative in the reviews. Can't blame them too much considering how much Sonic Team have milked old level tropes

What hurts it more is Forces also has Green Hill and probably other old levels in it too.

phanphare

Banned
Switching the Switch to Aus doesn't make the game available to me, though?

I think you have to make a separate Nintendo Account for aus and then set it up as a separate user on your Switch. then when you access the eshop it'll ask you which user you want to use and use the aus one.

Berordn

What hurts it more is Forces also has Green Hill and probably other old levels in it too.

Mania is probably putting more variety into those tropes as well, but they're really just dragging each other down and no amount of effort is going to get some people to overlook that it's GHZ for the 10th time in as many releases.

(Also Forces is really phoning it in by adding boosters and replacing the water with sand but that's another discussion for another thread)

konjak

I think you have to make a separate Nintendo Account for aus and then set it up as a separate user on your Switch. then when you access the eshop it'll ask you which user you want to use and use the aus one.

I'm not that aching for it, I guess. Thanks!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Mania, Mario+Rabbis, new Uncharted. Am I missing anything from this awesome month?

Also, someone who is a better GAFer than I should make a review thread.

Here's my review: https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/14/sonic-mania-is-an-amazing-must-play-love-letter-to-segas-finest/

Cons: The most ambitious boss design in Sonic history, but a few of them are hard swings and misses as a result. The new vs old stage numbers (though there's a strong argument for this being ok: the remixed stages are amazing)

Pros: EVERYTHING ELSE

If you want to ask me anything, GAF, ask away - I've 100%ed the game, basically... aside from all Gold Medals on Get Blue Spheres. (Silver medals are for completing the stage, gold for getting all rings).

Plum

Where the review thread at?

I'd make it but I've got a bunch of chores to do so I wouldn't be able to update.

TheSixthaxis - 10/10

Sonic Mania surpasses the Mega Drive/Genesis originals. It not only incorporates what made Sonic great, but has the inventiveness to shatter what was possible in a 2D platformer. As a nostalgia trip, it sets the bar for what comes next for the modding community. For those unexposed to what made 2D Sonic great, this is still a solid game in its own right and may create new fans in the process. If being this good took ages, it’s about damn time.

Top Bottom