• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

We awarded it an 8/10 at Push Square:

Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game in years, and stands proudly alongside its ancestors as a great 2D platformer. The levels, both remixed classics and brand new stages, are broad and a lot of fun to speed through, while more cautious exploration is also rewarding and just as viable. The feeling of playing an old-school Sonic title is spot on and it’s filled to bursting with secrets, Easter eggs, and surprises that will delight fans. If you’ve never enjoyed Sonic games, this certainly won’t change your mind, but anyone with an affinity for the Blue Blur’s seminal Mega Drive series can rest assured that this is more than worth your time.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/sonic_mania

RockmanBN

Thanks Ausie EShop. Only done Act 1 of Green Hill. Though with the Blue Sphere special stages.
I've gotten gold medals for collecting every ring when completing it.

DHMtqGHV0AAyVns.jpg:large
]

samred

I love it at Ars, but I'm withholding our "Ars Recommended" sticker until some bugs are addressed.

Sam from Ars said:
The last warning to point out: bugs. Sonic Mania ships with at least a few bugs present, which I was not able to catalog fully or exhaustively while playing the PlayStation 4 version because most were difficult to reproduce. And I am fully aware that there are times when I died and instinctively shouted "bug!", even though I actually died due to sloppy play. But I can confirm that Mania's on-rails flying section in Flying Battery Zone, Act 1, includes serious positioning bugs that lead to unwarranted deaths—which depleted a ton of stocked-up lives on my save file and made the rest of my review session a nightmare to contend with, I should add. Additionally, I was able to glitch Sonic into some level geometry in unwelcome ways, including a series of turning gears in the Titanic Monarch Zone.

This may be why Sonic Mania received a very last-minute delay on Windows PC. I have sent questions to the PR team behind Mania about these bugs and will update this review with any response—or any news about patch timing, for that matter.

Jhn

Noped the fuck out of that gamespot review since it looked like they show off a lot of new stuff that I'd rather see for myself.

JonCha

Downloading from the AUS eShop store also. It's easily done - just get yourself a fund card emailed to you and you're sorted.

groansey

I prefer the Sonic icon they used on Switch. Looks great.

Cannot wait for this! Looks like it turned out better than anyone could've hoped.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can I hyperbole for a moment?

I play a LOT of games on a regular basis and cover tons of them. I enjoy a lot of them but there's always this sense that I'm missing something. I just don't feel that passion most of the time these days.

The experience of playing through Sonic Mania, though, hit me like a freight train. It's a mix of nostalgia and genuine high quality platforming at work but the whole package is exceptional.

I put games like Sonic 2 up there at the top of my all time favorites list, of course, so it's no surprise that I'm enjoying it but...I feel like Sonic Mania is going to be a game that stands alongside my favorites of all time. The design is just too good. This is the kind of game you can replay over and over for years. I know these games well enough that it's already clear to me from just one day of playing. It's that good.

There's no question that this will be my favorite game of the year. Knowing Sonic well enough, this isn't just an early 'buzz' feeling early - this is great stuff.

-hyperbole off-

B00TE

This is the kind of game you can replay over and over for years. I know these games well enough that it's already clear to me from just one day of playing. It's that good.

Hearing this kind of stuff is what really excites me. Certainly double dipping for a PC copy somewhere down the line, gonna be awesome to have this with me on the Switch though!

Endo Punk

Last game I pre-ordered was Revengeance. This game looks so good after the initial reveal that I went on a blackout of sorts and haven't seen much new footage, bonus stage etc and pre-ordered on the spot. The reviews just confirm that this game was always going to deliver for the fans.

My last new game this year was coincidently also a Sega release, Yakuza 0. Last gen Sega had 2-3 of my top 3 releases and they are not taking a break this gen. They really know how to make fun, compelling games with an awesome soundtrack.

mrk8885

Banned
Nah you can switch your account location to Australia and back. Though if you plan to switch, whatever credit you have on your Wahoo account will be deleted.
Lol yea I know. Unfortunately have $85 in my Nintendo wallet right now. Plus, I've already made separate Japan and EU accounts. What's one more? Lol

Plus if those AUS 30 cards are sold out I suppose I'll just be patient and wait til tomorrow

The Stealth Fox

Will this release at midnight on the eShop? It seems like it did for AUS since it just became Tuesday over there.

shame on me for redeeming 20 dollars on the US eshop yesterday

Top Bottom