• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Started a new game with Knuckles and Act 1 of Green Hill seemed different. Are there different level designs for each character? Or is it just for Knuckles?
Knuckles has a few levels that are completely different, and many levels feature Knuckles-exclusive paths. Sonic and Tails are more or less the same, although Tails has easier access to higher up secrets.

Zalman

I'm having a blast with this game, but I have a couple of minor gripes.

I kind of feel like the stages are a tad too long for my taste. I would have preferred them to be more bite-sized. It's also more challenging than I expected, and having to replay two zones after a Game Over from an Act 2 boss is not very fun.

The S3&K bonus stages now being tied to checkpoints make them feel a little redundant. They take quite a bit of time to clear, but now that Chaos Emeralds are unlocked elsewhere they don't really feel worth it. I find myself not bothering with them anymore since I don't think the reward is big enough.

Other than that I'm really happy with the game, and I think Sonic's future seems brighter than it has in a long time.

Fireblend

Banned
Does beating blue sphere stages count for unlockables when playing in a no-save game?

I want to figure out if I can just spawn a ton of checkpoints in debug mode to beat the ones I'm missing and unlock the sound test.

Does beating blue sphere stages count for unlockables when playing in a no-save game?

I want to figure out if I can just spawn a ton of checkpoints in debug mode to beat the ones I'm missing and unlock the sound test.

Yes, it works. Blue sphere progression is saved independently of stage progression.

sonto340

This is exactly what I did.
Might I suggest putting on some of your own music or a podcast as the blue spheres music gets a little annoying for that long.

Sacul64GC

Banned
This is exactly what I did.
Might I suggest putting on some of your own music or a podcast as the blue spheres music gets a little annoying for that long.

I just found 2 checkpoints in SDZ act 2 that were about 5 seconds from each other and went back and forth.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's also more challenging than I expected, and having to replay two zones after a Game Over from an Act 2 boss is not very fun.

They could have made it so that the game over started you at the beginning of Act 2. But other that that, it being challenging is certainly a good thing.

Opa-Pa

Sonic Mania is clearly the ultimate 2D Sonic by virtue of it having sound settings that let you lower the volume of SFX and thus stopping jumps from ruining the damn music. It only took 26 years!

I just found 2 checkpoints in SDZ act 2 that were about 5 seconds from each other and went back and forth.

Current checkpoints cancel previous ones? Huh... Never thought about it. Neat.

They could have made it so that the game over started you at the beginning of Act 2. But other that that, it being challenging is certainly a good thing.

Yeah I agree, and the challenge is pretty tame too. I consider myself pretty bad at 2D Sonic games and still got my first game over like 5 or 6 zones in, and yet it still doesn't feel easy either.

Having to restart the entire zone only was an issue for me in the final stage due to how long and slow paced it is. Aside from that I think I only lost repeatedly in
Oil Ocean
and there it actually helped me appreciate the level design more and made me care more about rings to stack up lives, so it was nice in a way.

Too bad Grounder isn't. They put a Green Grounder in Sonic 2 iOS.

Sonic2iOS-greengrounder.png

Fucking criminal how this isn't on any console or even PC

ZeoVGM

Banned
It would be cool if the success of Sonic Mania pushed Sega to release the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on consoles.

Opa-Pa

It would be cool if the success of Sonic Mania pushed Sega to release the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on consoles.

Yeah I was thinking the same, Sega would be foolish not to see an opportunity now that they've seen there's a market for (good!) classic 2D Sonic games.

In the meantime I'm revisiting the fantastic 3DS ports by M2, but I'd love to try the Taxman versions.

Fireblend

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I'm 5 blue sphere stages away from beating them all (only 5 gold so far tho) but knowing that the last unlockable is a
blue sphere level select
doesn't particularly make me want to put much effort in lol since I'm never touching that.

Opa-Pa

Their has to be something we're not seeing behind scenes like why wouldn't you release these..???

If this were any other company out there I'd assume there are undisclosed issues, but Sega... I mean, look how long it took them to realize there was good money to be made by porting Platinum's games to PC lmao.

Not

Banned
OK I finally figured out Drop Dash and unlocked Super Sonic and this game is finally clicking for me. Drop dash makes it 80 times more fun. What a blast. Can't wait to try out Knuckles.

Rlan

FYI, If they ported Sonic 1 & 2 iOS to consoles, Stealth & Taxman would have nothing to do with it. Sega's got the code, if anything they'd get a group like Tantalus (who ported Mania to the Switch) to port them all over to current consoles.

chronomac

I beat the game last week but just now got all the chaos emeralds (
I didn’t realize you could just keep going back to Green Hills, Act 1 over and over to chip away at them
). Before I try and get
the real ending, I have a question: do I need to be Super Sonic when I take out the final boss (to get the new level) or is it enough that I just have the emeralds? I don’t want to go all the way through and realize I needed to have saved the power up.

Megatron

FYI, If they ported Sonic 1 & 2 iOS to consoles, Stealth & Taxman would have nothing to do with it. Sega's got the code, if anything they'd get a group like Tantalus (who ported Mania to the Switch) to port them all over to current consoles.

Wouldn't they be porting the taxman versions though?

I beat the game last week but just now got all the chaos emeralds (
I didn’t realize you could just keep going back to Green Hills, Act 1 over and over to chip away at them
). Before I try and get
the real ending, I have a question: do I need to be Super Sonic when I take out the final boss (to get the new level) or is it enough that I just have the emeralds? I don’t want to go all the way through and realize I needed to have saved the power up.

Just have the emeralds will do, upon beating the final boss you will be transported to the Super Sonic-only boss

Sacul64GC

Banned
What survey are people talking about?

Also I am on a Tails play through, When Sonic flies the Tornado is he wearing the unused Goggles from Sonic 1?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What survey are people talking about?

Also I am on a Tails play through, When Sonic flies the Tornado is he wearing the unused Goggles from Sonic 1?
It's on the PS4 version, go to the "More from Sonic Mania" section & you'll see "Player Survey". Though for some reason, I've copied the URL & it doesn't seem to work outside of the PS4 browser.

& I think so, I noticed the same thing.

Sacul64GC

Banned
It's on the PS4 version, go to the "More from Sonic Mania" section & you'll see "Player Survey". Though for some reason, I've copied the URL & it doesn't seem to work outside of the PS4 browser.

& I think so, I noticed the same thing.

Thanks, to bad I have it on switch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey, so.

Don't have Super Sonic or Tails during Mirage Saloon Act 1.

.....turns out you're faster than the plane.

Branduil

I hate blue spheres. Now that I'm doing the ones I couldn't win the first or second time, I'm always fucking up at the last second.

Finalizer

In the Knuckles & Knuckles run, you actually can fight the final final boss when you collect all chaos emeralds, unlike the normal run.

Thinking about this, it means the key ingredient wasn't the chaos emeralds, but the presence of multiple Knuckles.

Knuckles is powered by memes confirmed.

EDIT: lol, shoulda refreshed before I posted. Derp.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& the best part of the above spoilers is that
beating the true boss as Knuckles & Knuckles gives you a special ending picture

Props for them going far & beyond with the presentation & bonuses.

Finalizer

& the best part of the above spoilers is that
beating the true boss as Knuckles & Knuckles gives you a special ending picture

Props for them going far & beyond with the presentation & bonuses.

That image comes up regardless of which ending you get. The normal ending gets even more memetastic with a third Knuckles showing up and your partner Knuckles getting a Wechnia palette swap during the escape.

13ruce

Banned
In the Knuckles & Knuckles run, you actually can fight the final final boss when you collect all chaos emeralds, unlike the normal run.

Thinking about this, it means the key ingredient wasn't the chaos emeralds, but the presence of multiple Knuckles.

Knuckles is powered by memes confirmed.

EDIT: lol, shoulda refreshed before I posted. Derp.

You can even beat it as tails just go to the secret level select menu through title screen with the special button combination.

jefpet

what's up with the last zone... It feels like a punishment compared to all the other zones, I hate those black holes, wrong-timing a jump means falling & trying again.
I got to the boss but died (game over) and I'm reluctant to try and beat the game because of that level design.

My favorite must be chemical plant act 2, studiopolis and of course hydra city act 2.

goldenpp72

what's up with the last zone... It feels like a punishment compared to all the other zones, I hate those black holes, wrong-timing a jump means falling & trying again.
I got to the boss but died (game over) and I'm reluctant to try and beat the game because of that level design.

My favorite must be chemical plant act 2, studiopolis and of course hydra city act 2.

I think the devs assumed everyone playing this played S&K and just rolled with it. I never miss the jumps on those as example, just takes practice.

You'll get it with practice :) I really enjoyed Act 2 of TMZ, but then I'd played a lot of S3&K as a kid.

You're talking about the act 1 boss? The timer actually resets for act 2.

Branduil

Fuck that Blue Sphere level with the yellow spheres that bounce you into groups of 3 blue spheres and another yellow. Absolutely impossible to do unless you memorize it.

Hey, so.

Don't have Super Sonic or Tails during Mirage Saloon Act 1.

.....turns out you're faster than the plane.

That was also the case in Sonic 2's Sky Chase Zone.

Even as normal Sonic I defeated the boss then did a drop dash as I landed and sped off the side.

Maybe they consider it a bug fix but I find it strange that you can't control the plane in that level while standing on one of the platforms. In Sonic 2 you could stand on the platforms and crouching or looking up would raise or lower the plane even though you aren't on it. Sonic Mania doesn't do that.

Top Bottom