• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Shadio

Are any of the blue sphere stages new? I've recognized all of them so far. With the &Knuckles cart you could plug in any Genesis cart to play more blue sphere stages than was in the original and I'm remembering a lot of these.

A lot of them are taken directly from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so at least 18 of the 32 stages should be new. It could be more, but I felt like I recognised loads of the older ones.

Sciz

A lot of them are taken directly from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so at least 18 of the 32 stages should be new. It could be more, but I felt like I recognised loads of the older ones.

16 old, 16 new. S3 and S&K both had a secret eighth stage that reappears here.

MrBadger

Special stage 7 is like a joke. Its ss1 with some pit falls and a shitload of rings. Just follow and you get it at mach 2.

5 and 6 require you to follow the ufo route at all costs.

I feel like SS7 being easy is deliberate, after the shit it puts you through with 5 and 6

Tizoc

Is it worth making a thread for Sonic Mania speedruns?
Seems players have managed to beat it in under 90 minutes.

tkscz

Just 100% the game and I got to say I loved it. Only problems I had are that some of the special stages (3, 4 and 5) are not easy and, for me personally, 60fps does not work with Get Blue Sphere.

Peltz

Just 100% the game and I got to say I loved it. Only problems I had are that some of the special stages (3, 4 and 5) are not easy and, for me personally, 60fps does not work with Get Blue Sphere.

Interesting. Would you mind elaborating?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just received my CE:
kAtYR6q.jpg
And now my collection is complete. 💃

zoodoo

Havent played a lot of sonic games, so questions:

The bonus "mode7" stages are to get emeralds right?

What about the sphere shaped ones where you should not hit the red spheres?

There's no real difference to who you start with, but you can probably consider Tails as easy mode and Knuckles as hard mode.

He gets a couple unique routes in several acts, as well as one totally unique act for a specific zone.

Thanks. what about sonic with tails?

Tain

It's kinda weird to me that Sonic 3&K keeps track of what special stage rings you've found yet Sonic Mania does not.

Locking players out of re-using a ring on a given save file seems like a good and natural way to encourage exploration, and these stages are big.

Berordn

It's kinda weird to me that Sonic 3&K keeps track of what special stage rings you've found yet Sonic Mania does not.

Locking players out of re-using a ring on a given save file seems like a good and natural way to encourage exploration, and these stages are big.

It absolutely does, until you beat TM2. After that it's kinda moot either way.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

It's the same on both games. They respawn once you beat the game.

Haines

Banned
Wow this game is as great everyone says...

Why did it take sega this long?

What filter do you guys prefer? DF semed to reccomend the NONE for 4k. The CRT sharp takes me back to being a kid again tho.

My 3 year old lovvves this game. He gets pumped when he gets sonic moving and somehow he even cheeses some of the bosses

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What filter do you guys prefer? DF semed to reccomend the NONE for 4k. The CRT sharp takes me back to being a kid again tho.

CRT Sharp if you want a high-quality retro look.
None otherwise.

When streaming, I highly prefer None, as the filters either blur pixels or make the screen "noisier" with scanline overlays, which increases compression artifacts at the same bitrate.

Gradon

Okay so I'm getting my ass handed to me.
Fourth Zone Spoilers
Flying Battery Act 2 boss spider is a pain in the ass, just lost my FBZ progress for the second time 😂😭
Any tips?

LordKano

Fourth Zone Spoilers
Flying Battery Act 2 boss spider is a pain in the ass, just lost my FBZ progress for the second time 😂😭
Any tips?

Stay just under him, so when you jump at his big bumper you'll get back at where you were standing.

13ruce

Banned
Fourth Zone Spoilers
Any tips?

spindash into him or use those swing poles and swing into him

Should be a easy safe win that way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fourth Zone Spoilers
Any tips?

Just fling yourself into his big belly off the poles(climb high enough so you are aligned properly!) and avoid the spikes and him during the sections between poles. Shouldn't be too tricky, just a bit of patience.

Peltz

Wow this game is as great everyone says...

Why did it take sega this long?

My 3 year old lovvves this game. He gets pumped when he gets sonic moving and somehow he even cheeses some of the bosses

CRT-Soft all day.

I have a Genesis hooked up via RGB to my CRT monitor, and CRT-Soft is the closest approximation to what a 240p game should look like on a real CRT. Bonus points if you play it on the Switch's handheld screen - the graphics/filter scale perfectly to 720p and look very close to how the graphics really should look.

Here's a video of Sonic 2 running on a real CRT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5KvrO19u4E

Now, bear in mind, this is off-camera and it will look very different in person - the contrast, brightness and colors will be far more vibrant. But the shape and softness of the sprites is fairly accurate in this video.

sonto340

Fourth Zone Spoilers
Any tips?
i thing I see a lot of people not mentioning is that you can control the direction you fly off the pole. You don’t have to time it. That makes it a fairly simple boss. Hit it so he doesn’t ever get high enough to do the electric balls then when the pole shows up swing away.

God damn it, I just lost progress because the game wouldn't boot up to the home menu on Switch and when it did the game froze and I had to reboot the entire system. :mad:

Plum

Holy shit Chemical Plant Zone is kicking my ass. Having to rely on slow-moving platforms to escape from water is just terrible level design. Can't wait for the stage to be over.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Holy shit Chemical Plant Zone is kicking my ass. Having to rely on slow-moving platforms to escape from water is just terrible level design. Can't wait for the stage to be over.
You don't have to rely on anything except your own skill to get back above the water. The platforms will always give you enough time to get out so long as you don't mess up. It's also literally one section of the level. This whole I keep failing so it's bad game deaign thing is tiresome at this point.

Plum

You don't have to rely on anything except your own skill to get back above the water. The platforms will always give you enough time to get out so long as you don't mess up. It's also literally one section of the level. This whole I keep failing so it's bad game deaign thing is tiresome at this point.

Where did I say it was a bad game? I'm enjoying the game so far, Chemical Plant Act 1 is only one of the four levels I've played that I disliked. I've moved on to Act 2 and it's a big step up.

I just feel that the section is both tedious and way too punishing for something that practically all routes lead to. Relying or waiting, you're still reliant on those moving platforms. Shouting "git gud" at me won't make me feel any different.

orborborb

CRT-soft looks very close to the real thing at 1080p on my bright IPS display, on the 720p Switch screen I prefer no filter both because it doesn't have enough pixels to properly emulate CRT subpixels and also because it doesn't have enough brightness to overcome the dimming of the scanlines

Plum

Holy shit I did not expect (Stage 2 Act 2 Boss)
Puyo Puyo
to appear out of nowhere. That legit threw me for a loop.

Top Bottom