• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Guess Who

Banned
Any tips to beat (mid-game spoiler)
Metal Sonic
?

I've gone through 2 sets of lives and having to replay the same 2 zones over again is really wearing on my nerves.
I'm stuck on the bit where you're supposed to spin dash into the gray robot Sonic's to hit Metal Sonic. Everyone seems to say they easily fly towards Metal Sonic but I have to hit like 10 or more to get a single one to hit him. Usually they fly over him. I keep losing my rings by them flying off screen and getting stuck with 0 rings,
then inevitably dying.

You have to spin dash into the Silver Sonics specifically while they are revving up a spindash towards you. See this GIF for an illustration:

http://i.imgur.com/lKQfPW3.gif

MarkusRJR

Has anyone else had major performance issues on Xbox One? I've had 3 times now that when I open the game to find insane frame rate drops (20fps-ish with the worst frame pacing I've ever seen) on the main menu. They carry over to the main game if I try starting it. I have to quit the game, restart it, and then the game is suddenly fine and at the proper frame rate. I've also had situations where I get noticeable frame rate drops when I start going really fast. Restarting the game seems to help in those cases too. I also get a big stutter whenever I get an achievement.

I've tried power cycling my console, moving the game from an external hard drive to my internal, and nothing seems to solve it. Not sure if it's a bug with the Xbox OS or Sonic Mania. I've never had problems like this on any of my other games.

EDIT:
A quick Google search found that I'm not alone. Hopefully they update the game to fix the frame rate bugs that seem to affect certain people.

You have to spin dash into the Silver Sonics specifically while they are revving up a spindash towards you. See this GIF for an illustration:

I just got it by chance seconds after posting. The rest of the boss was insanely easy.

NoKisum

Does it matter what type of medals you get from Blue Spheres to unlock stuff? I currently have three gold and a silver. Do I need to somehow go back and turn that silver to a gold?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does it matter what type of medals you get from Blue Spheres to unlock stuff? I currently have three gold and a silver. Do I need to somehow go back and turn that silver to a gold?
Unless you're playing on X1/PS4 & want the achievement for getting all gold medals, no. It seems just getting the silvers will suffice for actual in-game unlocks.

I wonder if we might possibly get more levels added to this game through DLC? I'm not complaining, mind you, but it's done so well, it makes you want more. :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You missed out on your K&K play then. All emeralds make for a special time
Well this is a lie. You just wasted my time. Knuckles & Knuckles ending without emeralds is WAAAAAYYYYY better.
A third Knuckles doesn't even show up for the emeralds ending.
. Plus it made me play that awful true final boss which is always a negative.

Anyone having an issue with the Switch version where the Home button will not respond or take long to respond while playing Sonic? I don't know if the game was refentely updated but this has been happening to me on the last couple of days.

It's been like that since launch. It'll be fixed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The only reason why it makes sense is because that's also how it worked in Sonic 2 GG. If Sonic and Silver Sonic both rolled into each other, then they'd both bounce away without either of them taking damage. (The same also applies for the Sonic vs Knuckles fight in Hidden Palace; if you both spin dash into each other then you both just bounce away unharmed.).

Ah. I've never played the 8-bit Sonic 2 and I'm not sure I've ever spindashed into Knuckles during that fight (if I did, I don't remember it because it's not something I commonly do).

Ah well. I know now, I guess.

Opa-Pa

Beat the game as Knuckles last night and it was pretty fun. I'm still not too fond of LRZ, but it was more fun as Knuckles... Also hot damn that unique boss fight haha, so great.

Hate to be so repetitive, but this game is sooooo good, it's pretty much the only 2D Sonic I enjoy enough to want to start it over right after beating it. I couldn't contain myself and started a Sonic only run and made it to FBZ.

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but I found a nasty little garaunteed death in the game.

If you are playing as Knuckles on Lava Reef Act 2 and you have all the Chaos Emeralds you can get yourself into a garaunteed death.

Basically, there is a section at the end of the level where there is a bottomless pit, and Knuckles is supposed to glide really far into a wall, and then climb and jump back across the room. There are a bunch of rings to show you the glide path here. It's like right before the boss transition area.

The guaranteed death comes from if the rings you get from gliding put you over 50. If they do, then you can't glide back across to the other wall because you will activate Super Knuckles, stop gliding, and then fall to death.

MikeBison

Congrats, devs. You've managed to create the worst boss fight I've played in any game of the last decade.
metal sonic in Stardust
Like literally think it would take genuine effort to craft a shittier piece of game design. I'd rather fight every boss in Souls without having estus to heal than that shitty, luck based, poor feedback, terrible physics mess.

Shame, because the rest of the game up until then was so good. Really top notch. But I don't know wether I can be assed wasting time on trying to luck out on that.

For every failed attempt to hit him, it then takes ages to have another go and the the game trolls you with the minion doing the exact opposite of what you need him to.

Literally roll my eyes each time I pick up my switch and realise I have to do that again (as well as the previous 2 zones) when I want to progress. Probably just shelve it for good.

Congrats, devs. You've managed to create the worst boss fight I've played in any game of the last decade.
metal sonic in Stardust
Like literally think it would take genuine effort to craft a shittier piece of game design.

Yet, I found that boss too easy. Have you played older Sonic Games?

metal sonic in Stardust
Like literally think it would take genuine effort to craft a shittier piece of game design. I'd rather fight every boss in Souls without having estus to heal than that shitty, luck based, poor feedback, terrible physics mess.

Shame, because the rest of the game up until then was so good. Really top notch. But I don't know wether I can be assed wasting time on trying to luck out on that.

For every failed attempt to hit him, it then takes ages to have another go and the the game trolls you with the minion doing the exact opposite of what you need him to.

Literally roll my eyes each time I pick up my switch and realise I have to do that again (as well as the previous 2 zones) when I want to progress. Probably just shelve it for good.

Seik

Banned
I like the level a lot but yeah,the 2nd boss is awful,he always give me troubles.

I feel the same about the giant ass octopus from ACT II.

However, it was refreshing to have a challenging boss, bosses in Mania tend to go on the easy side before this one, so I welcome this bit of challenge.

hiim_haz

Banned
I finished Sonic Mania last night. The first half of the game is pretty good, but man, the last few zones are awful, along with the boss fights. It really feels like the last few zones were super rushed compared to the rest of the game. I still had a lot of fun with it, but I won't lie that I was frustrated by the end of it.

muteki

metal sonic in Stardust

I'd say the failure is not making it clear the "proper" (easy) way to clear the mid-section of that boss. Once you figure that out, the rest of the boss including the end is pretty fun IMO.

It's possible to hit him the "incorrect" way, and if you make that mistake and proceed to fight in only that manner you are indeed in for quite the headache.

If I were to attempt to fix it I'm not sure if I'd make the "wrong" way easier to do or impossible.

Ferr986

metal sonic in Stardust

But he's really easy
when Silver Sonic appears, he either spindash or do a regular rush. If he spindash you do the same against him, he'll get propelled to Metal Sonic. If not avoid him, then he'll spindash so you do the same.

Silver Sonic literally have only 1 routines with the only difference is what does he start itm so it's easy to know what he's going to do. It's always grap-dash-spidash.

And this does works when he's on the side instead of center too. The bounce is more or less scripted.

Dimmle

Goddamn, I thought I was done after getting the true ending and unlocks with Sonic and Tails, but I'm back in with Knuckles.

Fireblend

Banned
metal sonic in Stardust

I don't think you know how to beat that boss. It's really easy, specially that phase.

MikeBison

Ok, cheers for the advice. But what you've said and the gif are what I've been doing. But ill see if my timing has been off.

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering I'm bad enough that I can't beat Sonic 1 or 2 without cheats and the boss was a breeze for me I have no idea how you're doing it wrong.

Would you have been able to beat Sonic 1 or 2 if you restarted per zone instead of from the beginning?

(Probably yes)

Make sure you hit him as he's revving. If he's already started rolling the trajectory changes.

Also since it's a Sonic game with proper momentum (generally) how much you rev affects the trajectory.

You only want to rev once. Down, spin, let go. You don't need to blow him to Mars or something.

Sanjuro

metal sonic in Stardust

Zoinks.

I think maybe the Metal Sonic fight has one phase too many. The third phase is confusing (since no other phase lets you directly hit Metal Sonic) and really awkward to beat without cheesing i-frames. The fight, itself, is longer than most end stage boss fights.

But, the minion phase is really easy once you know what to do. Trouble is figuring out what to do usually amounts to dodging for 5 minutes while you flail around until you accidentally do the right thing. But it's not at all impossible and 9/10 Silver Sonic does what you need it to do.

For a significant portion of my time as a Genesis owner, the only games I actually owned were the pack-in Sonic 1 and James Pond (everything else was rented). Spending enough time with the former is probably the main reason why I never have much trouble with 2D Sonic games.

Although, I'll also admit that the first time I played Sonic 1, I couldn't beat any of the bosses. I had to use the stage-select code to see the later zones. I forget exactly how long it took before I could comfortably beat the entire game, but it had to have been over a month at least.

Of course, on the first day I got Sonic 2, I reached the final boss.

Qasiel

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but I found a nasty little garaunteed death in the game.

If you are playing as Knuckles on Lava Reef Act 2 and you have all the Chaos Emeralds you can get yourself into a garaunteed death.

Basically, there is a section at the end of the level where there is a bottomless pit, and Knuckles is supposed to glide really far into a wall, and then climb and jump back across the room. There are a bunch of rings to show you the glide path here. It's like right before the boss transition area.

The guaranteed death comes from if the rings you get from gliding put you over 50. If they do, then you can't glide back across to the other wall because you will activate Super Knuckles, stop gliding, and then fall to death.

I noticed last night that if you climb to the top of the left-hand wall (before the glide) you insta-die for no reason.

LordKasual

Banned
Option to disable super music would be welcomed

makes me not want to transform ever

Also:

- Ability to transform while holding shield would also be nice

- Why can't i use the spindrop thingie while I have a shield up, as far as speed running goes this makes grabbing certain shields a detriment

- Also, why can't Super Sonic use shield abilities if he has them. It would have been neat to have some kind of "super" version of said abilities.

Seems like flaws carried over from the genesis games for no reason

Ferr986

I think maybe the Metal Sonic fight has one phase too many. The third phase is confusing (since no other phase lets you directly hit Metal Sonic) and really awkward to beat without cheesing i-frames. The fight, itself, is longer than most end stage boss fights.

But, the minion phase is really easy once you know what to do. Trouble is figuring out what to do usually amounts to dodging for 5 minutes while you flail around until you accidentally do the right thing. But it's not at all impossible and 9/10 Silver Sonic does what you need it to do.

I liked that it was longer than the usual boss, it made him feel like a mid final boss thing, but it's true that the final phase is a little clunky. He suddenly get hitboxes and he moves too slow. Also easy to hit him and fall behind to the spikes.

I have now finished this game 7 times. Send help.

It's just super playable (and replayable). Easy to jump into, and with the lack of getting kicked out to a world map after each level like in other platformers, there's no easy stopping point. Game has incredible flow, and each stage has something to look forward to. Every time I see something about Sonic Mania I want to play more Sonic Mania. And having beaten the game about six times already, I'd say that's a good thing.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do the pink spheres warp you to any random unused pink sphere on the map, or is there a rhyme and reason to it? I'm assuming it's random due to the rare but borderline unwinnable situations that they've put me in.

I don't know why I'm still playing this mini-game.

Top Bottom