• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Ristifer

Yep. I beat it with 15 lives left and no game overs on my first run, and I consider myself only “decent” at these games. I struggle to imagine how someone could get multiple game overs unless they are just not used to Sonic games or got really unlucky with glitches.
Pretty much. I finished my first playthrough with 21 lives left. I found TMZ to be tough as far as time constraints go, but that was just for the first time. Going through it now is much different. I think once people figure out its layout, along with the other longer zones, they won't seem as daunting. I'm just glad the last zone was a nice platforming challenge.

eastx

Finish the game, then the rings restart and respawn every time you select a stage. There's 2 in like 03 secs on Green Hil act 1

Thanks! It sounds like Debug Mode is also a good way to access the bonus stages, as you can spawn star posts at will.

It's actually way easier to abuse rings in this game for extra lives compared to the Genesis games.

- You get a 1-up at 100, 200, and 300 rings each. (This happened only at 100 and 200 before.)
- After getting hit, regaining 100 rings during the same stage gets you another extra life. (This wasn't the case before.)
- The blue ring item makes it easy to abuse the two previous facts.

If you ever manage to get 300+ rings with a blue ring on hand, just intentionally take damage in a room where it's easily to recollect your rings, and that's another 3 instant 1-ups right there.

Alternatively, you could intentionally take damage every single time you gain 100 rings, as you have the opportunity to regain up to 20 of them, which puts you at 20% progress for the next 1-up.

This only helps if you're able to actually get 100+ rings in a stage. I always get hit before I have the opportunity.

In other news, any strategies for defeating the boss in Oil Ocean Zone 2 (as Sonic)? I've been stuck for several days now.

RunTheGhouls

Neo Member
This only helps if you're able to actually get 100+ rings in a stage. I always get hit before I have the opportunity.

In other news, any strategies for defeating the boss in Oil Ocean Zone 2 (as Sonic)? I've been stuck for several days now.

If you're having problems with being dragged under when on the platforms, just stay in the oil for the entire fight.

If you can jump on them quickly and stay vertical, you can take out the tentacles with several consecutive bounces on them. It's a lot easier when they're both gone!

Ducktail

TM act 2 wasn't so bad on my second run, but I still think it kills a little bit of the replayability of the tittle. I hate the damn portals, but the second time around I kinda figured them out faster.

I didn't particularly appreciate the Super Sonic boss fight too. Does it change for the other characters?

Still love this game very much. Going to 100% it for sure.

Sanjuro

TM act 2 wasn't so bad on my second run, but I still think it kills a little bit of the replayability of the tittle. I hate the damn portals, but the second time around I kinda figured them out faster.

I didn't particularly appreciate the Super Sonic boss fight too. Does it change for the other characters?

Still love this game very much. Going to 100% it for sure.

I'm still unsure how people are having such a time with this level.

- You clear one area.
- That area locks.
- You clear second area.
- That area locks.
- You clear third area.
- That area locks.
- You clear fourth area.
- That area locks.
- You move on.

- You clear one area.
- That area locks.
- You clear second area.
- That area locks.
- You clear third area.
- That area locks.
- You clear fourth area.
- That area locks.
- You move on.

I actually had to stop and look up what was supposed to be happening before I realized it. It wound up that I had cleared all four areas, but I wasn't staying in the central zone long enough for the final gate to spawn (why does it even spawn on a delay?) and was repeating areas I had already cleared because I didn't know what else to do. The game should close off the areas previously cleared to prevent this.

- You clear one area.
- That area locks.
- You clear second area.
- That area locks.
- You clear third area.
- That area locks.
- You clear fourth area.
- That area locks.
- You move on.
I don't get the trouble either. The level is pretty long and ya gotta speed it along but it ain't that bad. I've yet to time out on it.

I'm not finished with this yet, but are you guys finding the emeralds purely by exploring, or is there some sort of system I don't understand that hints which levels they're in?

I'm not finished with this yet, but are you guys finding the emeralds purely by exploring, or is there some sort of system I don't understand that hints which levels they're in?

Each act has a few hidden special stage rings, you just have to hunt for them honestly. They tend to get hidden in harder spots closer to the end of the game and I have yet to find any in the final acts.

hotcyder

To be honest I think I only naturally found bonus rings about 4 times.

Once you complete the game and unlock Level Select - you can just keep grinding the first ring you see in Green Hill Zone to get all the emeralds (that's what I did at least).

Each act has a few hidden special stage rings, you just have to hunt for them honestly. They tend to get hidden in harder spots closer to the end of the game and I have yet to find any in the final acts.

To be honest I think I only naturally found bonus rings about 4 times.

Once you complete the game and unlock Level Select - you can just keep grinding the first ring you see in Green Hill Zone to get all the emeralds (that's what I did at least).

Oh! There's not seven specific rings? I assumed there were seven and you had to find where they were. Didn't realize each level had one. Welp!

Shadio

I actually had to stop and look up what was supposed to be happening before I realized it. It wound up that I had cleared all four areas, but I wasn't staying in the central zone long enough for the final gate to spawn (why does it even spawn on a delay?) and was repeating areas I had already cleared because I didn't know what else to do. The game should close off the areas previously cleared to prevent this.

It does. You must've not done all four areas because once you've done them all, you're completely locked in until the portal appears.

Oh! There's not seven specific rings? I assumed there were seven and you had to find where they were. Didn't realize each level had one. Welp!

There are enough rings that it's possible to finish collecting the chaos emeralds by
Chemical Plant Zone

It does. You must've not done all four areas because once you've done them all, you're completely locked in until the portal appears.

It... definitely didn't work that way for me, because I had stopped to look up what was going on my third time through one of the areas (the one with no floor). I did not complete any other area after that, and I just waited for the portal to appear.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Discovered something new while replaying the game as Knuckles last night.

Guess I'm probably the only dumbass who didn't know you can spin dash
Silver Sonic
during the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss fight to send him flying instead of having to wait and predict his movement each time.

I thought the battle was stupidly slow the first time around lol.

I didn't know it, either, the first time I played that boss. I defeated it without spindashing into him at all. It was extremely difficult.

Then I watched a YouTube video ... and on my Knuckles playthrough, it was the easiest boss in the game. -_-

But seriously, why would it make logical sense for a player to try that? Spindashing causes damage to anything touching it, so why would it not hurt you there and instead send your target bouncing away? I think it was poor design not to at least give players a hint that such a thing is possible in that situation.

Opa-Pa

I didn't know it, either, the first time I played that boss. I defeated it without spindashing into him at all. It was extremely difficult.

Then I watched a YouTube video ... and on my Knuckles playthrough, it was the easiest boss in the game. -_-

But seriously, why would it make logical sense for a player to try that? Spindashing causes damage to anything touching it, so why would it not hurt you there and instead send your target bouncing away? I think it was poor design not to at least give players a hint that such a thing is possible in that situation.

Yeah, it's pretty puzzling. The only reason I discovered it is that I got pissed at the boss so I spindashed to kill one of them just because, and the lil guy did the same right before I hit him.

It sucks because conceptually I LOVED that fight as I'm very fond of CD (and Sonic 2 on the Game Gear!)

ryan13ts

I was playing through a Sonic only game and when I got to Mirage Saloon Act 1, Heavy Magician color was red instead of it's normal yellow, as well as the giant caterpillar boss it lets out of it's head was purple instead of green (when it was small). I accidentally died and when I got back to it, both of them were back to their normal colors.

Is that a glitch or did something trigger it's change of color? I'm bummed I died, maybe it would have made the act 2 boss battle different somehow. Anyone else experience this?

I transitioned into Lost Legacy as I was able to beat the game with all emeralds. Overall, I was able to beat it with single-digit lives the first time but almost 20 the last.

Pretty sure it's the hardest 2D Sonic, though. Some of the other ones, I can just jump and spin dash through levels in less than a minute without even thinking about it. It's just that they give me plenty of rings to get enough lives to cover for it.

I loved it and it's an easy game to pick up and play (it's Sonic!). So I fully expect myself to play it again, maybe before the year's out, and hopefully some couch co-op. Now it's Lost Legacy then Matterfall. What a wonderful month of games.

Certainly is not intuitive but spindashing him was the first thing I did LOL

Also, I have one blue sphere stage left. The one with 4 blue spheres... I cant ask for help but....

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I was playing through a Sonic only game and when I got to Mirage Saloon Act 1, Heavy Magician color was red instead of it's normal yellow, as well as the giant caterpillar boss it lets out of it's head was purple instead of green (when it was small). I accidentally died and when I got back to it, both of them were back to their normal colors.

Is that a glitch or did something trigger it's change of color? I'm bummed I died, maybe it would have made the act 2 boss battle different somehow. Anyone else experience this?

Can't say, but all I can tell you is that the caterpillar was always purple in my Sonic & Tails playthrough... I think the magician changed color once (from the first plane encounter to the second plane encounter), but I'm not sure.

alf717

I think I've done all the story mode stuff for the game. Still have some blue sphere courses to get gold on and that should be it. I'm curious did anyone get a signed collector's edition? Mine came in today in pretty good shape. I doubt I'll be able to sell the code though I couldn't hold off until it arrived. =D One funny glitch I ran into was at the end of Mirage Saloon Act 1 I died trying to jump in to the gun that was pretty funny.

How many playthroughs have you all done?

I'm on my 5th.

Sonic & Tails
Knuckles
Tails
Sonic
Knuckles & Knuckles
(no save mode)

Got all 7 emeralds on the first 4, need two more for the last one ( on Flying Battery right now... I suck at looking for giant ring locations)

alf717

I'm on my 5th.

Sonic & Tails
Knuckles
Tails
Sonic
Knuckles & Knuckles
(no save mode)

Got all 7 emeralds on the first 4, need two more for the last one ( on Flying Battery right now... I suck at looking for giant ring locations)

Same here. One for each set and a &Knuckles mode to see the other ending.

I did:

Sonic & Tails
Tails
Knuckles
Sonic
&Knuckles

Ferr986

I'm on my 5th.

Sonic & Tails
Knuckles
Tails
Sonic
Knuckles & Knuckles
(no save mode)

Same here! Only got all emeralds in my first save though.

Also fuck blue spheres too.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm on my 5th.

Sonic & Tails
Knuckles
Tails
Sonic
Knuckles & Knuckles
(no save mode)

Sonic & Tails
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Knuckles & Knuckles

Got all chaos emeralds in each playthrough except Knuckles & Knuckles which I just blasted through quickly without attempting any special stage. I also have all gold medals in all blue spheres stages.

FN-2187

I only have 10 missing Bonus Coin...but the missing ones are fucking impossible to obtain. :(

So yeah, fuck those.

Yeah, I think I am ready to accept the fact that I will never get the last few I'm missing and just skip them from now on

Kyzon

Sonic & Tails
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Knuckles & Knuckles

Got all chaos emeralds in each playthrough except Knuckles & Knuckles which I just blasted through quickly without attempting any special stage. I also have all gold medals in all blue spheres stages.

You missed out on your K&K play then. All emeralds make for a special time

13ruce

Banned

I'm on my 5th.

Sonic & Tails
Knuckles
Tails
Sonic
Knuckles & Knuckles
(no save mode)

Like 10+ already🙃
5 as sonic
1 as tails
1 as knuckles
2 as sonic + tails
3 as knuckles
& knuckles
2 as sonic
& knuckles
Still have to do tails and
knuckles

Ducktail

- You clear one area.
- That area locks.
- You clear second area.
- That area locks.
- You clear third area.
- That area locks.
- You clear fourth area.
- That area locks.
- You move on.

I honestly didn't know this. I thought it was a very specific order of areas which would unlock the final portal.

This is actually okay.

Sanjuro

I honestly didn't know this. I thought it was a very specific order of areas which would unlock the final portal.

This is actually okay.

I think a lot of people just do get it largely because of the pattern of the prior levels and speed reduction.

Doing the perfect run on TMZ Act 1 trophy/achievement actually helped this level out a great deal, and it really isn't a long act.

Doosi

Banned
finished with super sonic ending

wow you guys weren't kidding; that was very underwhelming compared to the rest of the game

and what was up with the butt rock music?

Top Bottom