• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I didn't know it, either, the first time I played that boss. I defeated it without spindashing into him at all. It was extremely difficult.

Then I watched a YouTube video ... and on my Knuckles playthrough, it was the easiest boss in the game. -_-

But seriously, why would it make logical sense for a player to try that? Spindashing causes damage to anything touching it, so why would it not hurt you there and instead send your target bouncing away? I think it was poor design not to at least give players a hint that such a thing is possible in that situation.

The only reason why it makes sense is because that's also how it worked in Sonic 2 GG. If Sonic and Silver Sonic both rolled into each other, then they'd both bounce away without either of them taking damage. (The same also applies for the Sonic vs Knuckles fight in Hidden Palace; if you both spin dash into each other then you both just bounce away unharmed.)

I was playing through a Sonic only game and when I got to Mirage Saloon Act 1, Heavy Magician color was red instead of it's normal yellow, as well as the giant caterpillar boss it lets out of it's head was purple instead of green (when it was small). I accidentally died and when I got back to it, both of them were back to their normal colors.

Is that a glitch or did something trigger it's change of color? I'm bummed I died, maybe it would have made the act 2 boss battle different somehow. Anyone else experience this?

Mirage Saloon 1 has a few moments where the entire color palette of the level changes, and it's possible for the game to glitch and not trigger one of the changes when it's supposed to happen.

The only reason why it makes sense is because that's also how it worked in Sonic 2 GG. If Sonic and Silver Sonic both rolled into each other, then they'd both bounce away without either of them taking damage. (The same also applies for the Sonic vs Knuckles fight in Hidden Palace; if you both spin dash into each other then you both just bounce away unharmed.)

My thought process for that fight was something like this (no memories of the fight in Sonic 2 GG btw)

-Killed like 4-5 Silver Sonics, okay...this obviously isn't working
-Inadvertently jumped into Silver Sonic while it was in ball form, saw that we bounced off each other
-Ball form on the ground and in the air have similar properties for collision, so I tried a spin dash instead
-Silver Sonic collided with Metal Sonic, rinse and repeat

Understanding the fight is highly contingent on the player recognizing that spin dashing into an enemy and jumping into an enemy are both variations on the same thing. Solely trying to jump into Silver Sonic to knock it into Metal Sonic is a losing battle.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I hate how if you're super sonic spindashing in to silver sonic doesn't work. I literally have no idea how you're supposed to win that fight with super sonic. I just have to wait until I turn back in to normal sonic to beat him.

BaconHat

I hate how if you're super sonic spindashing in to silver sonic doesn't work. I literally have no idea how you're supposed to win that fight with super sonic. I just have to wait until I turn back in to normal sonic to beat him.

Can't you press down while running to go into a ball? It work to kill enemy like a spindash normally, it should probably also work for silver sonic.

Unpopular opinion: Super Sonic sucks.

I really don't like having Super as a reward anymore, sucks the challenge out of the game and turns the music off. Sonic CD does it right, imo, simply giving you a better ending and all good futures in levels. Super is cool for endgame content, but ultimately trivializes the hard work the level designers put into the levels they created.

Super has been making subsequent playthroughs a tad less enjoyable.

Petohtalrayn

Neo Member

I really don't like having Super as a reward anymore, sucks the challenge out of the game and turns the music off. Sonic CD does it right, imo, simply giving you a better ending and all good futures in levels. Super is cool for endgame content, but ultimately trivializes the hard work the level designers put into the levels they created.

I'm with you here. I'm one emerald away on a Sonic&Tails and a Knuckles save. I want to 100% the game but I don't enjoy Super Sonic at all and would just get annoyed triggering it while replaying.

Sanjuro

6zyJAoQ.png

Let him move over to one of the sides and then hit him when he starts to spindash over there.

It'd be nice if we had the option to not go Super and keep using Drop Dashes and whatever when all 7 emeralds are obtained

Sixfortyfive

This is why I play as Tails in Sonic 2 and delay the last emerald in 3K until the post-game.

Fireblend

Banned
Have the developers said anything about the weird behavior the game has when interacting with the system buttons on Switch? It's not game-breaking but it's really noticeable and weird. Sometimes it takes more than 15 seconds for the game to realize I pressed the home button.

I'm still yet to actually see the final final boss because of my dislike for Super Sonic.

But i'm 5 emeralds into my Sonic and Tails run having just done Press Garden so odds are I'll be seeing it this time around. I'm still amazed that will all the refining in place with Sonic Mania that they left in the whole "super sonic overrides abilities and stage music" annoyance, I almost want to believe that part was mandated by Sega higher ups or something because I just can't see the guys who nailed this game otherwise deciding "yeah, we should leave this as is".

I just played a blue sphere stage where I couldn't find the remaining 4 spheres, wtf? It was super easy besides that. It has a ton of yellow spheres too.

Chun-Li

I just played a blue sphere stage where I couldn't find the remaining 4 spheres, wtf? It was super easy besides that. It has a ton of yellow spheres too.

If it's the stage I'm thinking of, you have to go into the yellow spheres in a certain spot. There are 4 blue spheres there that can be tricky to get.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think you need to hit the orange spheres in the middle of the row to bounce you to a section where there's 4 blue spheres in the middle of all the other orange spheres.

I think I know which one you're talking about since I had some trouble with that one as well.

If it's the stage I'm thinking of, you have to go into the yellow spheres in a certain spot. There are 4 blue spheres there that can be tricky to get.

I think you need to hit the orange spheres in the middle of the row to bounce you to a section where there's 4 blue spheres in the middle of all the other orange spheres.

I think I know which one you're talking about since I had some trouble with that one as well.
That's really annoying in a mode that just won't slow the fuck down

Sanjuro

I'm still yet to actually see the final final boss because of my dislike for Super Sonic.

But i'm 5 emeralds into my Sonic and Tails run having just done Press Garden so odds are I'll be seeing it this time around. I'm still amazed that will all the refining in place with Sonic Mania that they left in the whole "super sonic overrides abilities and stage music" annoyance, I almost want to believe that part was mandated by Sega higher ups or something because I just can't see the guys who nailed this game otherwise deciding "yeah, we should leave this as is".

I'm glad they left "super sonic overrides abilities and stage music". I almost would have flipped out of they decided, "yeah, we shouldn't leave this as it".

Sciz

(The same also applies for the Sonic vs Knuckles fight in Hidden Palace; if you both spin dash into each other then you both just bounce away unharmed.)

I thought the same thing earlier, but decided to double check first, and nope, Knuckles rolls right over you if you try it.

Sixfortyfive

I thought the same thing earlier, but decided to double check first, and nope, Knuckles rolls right over you if you try it.

Was that the case? I might have mistaken it with bouncing off of his fists instead.

That fight had a lot of unique interactions that can easily be missed since it's over so quickly. For example, if Knuckles lands on top of Sonic while Sonic is looking down, Knuckles takes damage from Sonic's quills.

big_z

If you get a gold medal on the ball stages does the game remove them from rotation or do you end up replaying the ones you've beaten?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Apparently Taxman believes the bug with CPZ Act 2 boss occurs if you're holding directional input at the time you fall into that last pipe before it: https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/898805761534435328

Gonna poke about whether we can get Super Sonic trigger on a separate button while he's fixing things.

Hmm I wonder if I should bug him a few features that I think would improve the game?

Yeah that one always causes me problems, it's so easy for the UFO to get a huge lead on you

It's because the 5th stage isn't designed in a way where you can chase after the UFO while picking up the orbs and rings, you have to branch off to pick them up and you have to make a choice of which one you want.

In the end I didn't even get it properly as I was jumping on the ramp and the UFO suddenly did a u-turn causing Sonic to move backwards towards him.

Sixfortyfive

Whenever Knuckles starts gliding, get to the side of the screen first and just hold down. He'll land on you and take damage from it.

It's pretty easy to catch him in and endless loop of this, going back and forth from one side of the screen to the other.

Sciz

Whenever Knuckles starts gliding, get to the side of the screen first and just hold down. He'll land on you and take damage from it.

It's pretty easy to catch him in and endless loop of his going back and forth from one side of the screen to the other.

I get it, I'm just flabbergasted because this game is still surprising me with subtle little details twenty three years later.

Mania's good, it's just not Sonic 3 good.

phanphare

Banned
oh man, the music in the press garden zone

that second act

this game is great. I'm trying to save it for a plane ride coming up next week but.......

Finalizer

prediction:

sonic mania 2 will be 50% new and 50% old (12 levels total) with lock-on technology

Wacky prediction: Next game will be an entirely new 2D game (possibly with HD sprites ala Sonic 2 HD fan project), followed up later by Mania 2 which sticks with Mania 1's art style and maintains a similar ratio of old:new zones.

Kalnoky

Finally knocked out the 1000/1000. Did a Sonic & Tails run initially, then just a Tails run (mostly to do that Gacha achievement). That second playthrough, was able to have
Super Tails unlocked
by Lava Reef Zone, so the back end of the game got wayyyyy faster. Still would like to do an
& Knuckles
run at some point, but gonna put it down for now.

This game was great. More 2D Sonic by these guys, please.

MarkusRJR

Any tips to beat (mid-game spoiler)
Metal Sonic
?

I've gone through 2 sets of lives and having to replay the same 2 zones over again is really wearing on my nerves.
I'm stuck on the bit where you're supposed to spin dash into the gray robot Sonic's to hit Metal Sonic. Everyone seems to say they easily fly towards Metal Sonic but I have to hit like 10 or more to get a single one to hit him. Usually they fly over him. I keep losing my rings by them flying off screen and getting stuck with 0 rings,
then inevitably dying.

Ponchito

Anyone having an issue with the Switch version where the Home button will not respond or take long to respond while playing Sonic? I don't know if the game was refentely updated but this has been happening to me on the last couple of days.

Sixfortyfive

So the flip panel phrases in Studiopolis 2 (LOCK ON, etc.) do have at least one function: they give you a small score bonus after revealing the full phrase. Doesn't mean much outside of Competition mode, though.

remz

Gotta play No Save and avoid special stage rings

Top Bottom