• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

Roxas said:
Wow with all these good reviews coming in, its almost as if the folks on this forum have over reacted somewhat :rolleyes:
A couple of them, sure. But for most of the Classic Hog fans, the game could be getting 10s and if the physics/gameplay aren't what they were looking for, then their reaction was appropriate inasfar as they're concerned.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Segata Sanshiro said:
A couple of them, sure. But for most of the Classic Hog fans, the game could be getting 10s and if the physics/gameplay aren't what they were looking for, then their reaction was appropriate inasfar as they're concerned.
*sigh* This isn't about purity to the Genesis games for me. I loved the hell out of the Rush games and the Advance games. But I died so many times in Sonic 4 because the physics meant that Sonic freaked out in mid-air and fell into a pit, or didn't home in on the spring that the homing reticule was locked onto.

The_Technomancer said:
*sigh* This isn't about purity to the Genesis games for me. I loved the hell out of the Rush games and the Advance games. But I died so many times in Sonic 4 because the physics meant that Sonic freaked out in mid-air and fell into a pit, or didn't home in on the spring that the homing reticule was locked onto.
Oh, well then I definitely shouldn't have said "The_Technomancer" in my post. My humble apologies.

Chao

Played all the main zones so far on the iPhone version (I know, the shitty one, but it wasn't mine so no harm was done). You know what? the game is fun. Splash Hill is kind of dull, specially act 3 where you go from one booster to another, but the later zones are better in my opinion. Physics are still borked, uncurling is fucking stupid, the select level structure from the very beginning is weird and they even got sound effects mixed up (spindash sounds like regular ball rolling and viceversa), but the game it's fun in its own way. It really is the closest thing to classic Sonic we've had in years.

It's a shame they couldn't give the game that extra polish, this could have been really really great. I hope they can fix some of the issues on episode 2, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rlan

Downloaded the Japanese demo. What's most frustrating about the air-boosting is how much is fucks you up falling from a ledge. If you miss the jump, you'll instead plummet faster because you tried to push the jump button. Same thing when you accidentily double jump next to something you can lock on to.

And those worthless Bubbles Robots come out of fucking nowhere.

Whoever at Sonic Team that did the tiling for the game is awful at it. Loops go from foreground to background halfway around, and Sonic dips into the ground when he does his idle. yeesh.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, well then I definitely shouldn't have said "The_Technomancer" in my post. My humble apologies.
Heh, fair enough. I was having trouble in this thread deciding whether you're defending the game against criticism, or defending it against bashing, but re-reading some of what you said its a bit clearer...

The_Technomancer said:
Heh, fair enough. I was having trouble in this thread deciding whether you're defending the game against criticism, or defending it against bashing, but re-reading some of what you said its a bit clearer...
As ever, I walk the path of live and let live, with a dash of punching people in the face for being stupid.

Mael said:
that's a lot faces to punch....
It's okay, I work out.

segata_s-1.gif

MAZYORA said:
anyone else hope when sonic team are done with Sonic 4, they make Sonic CD 2 using this same engine?
Actually, I'm kind of hoping their next game is titled "The Real Sonic the Hedgehog 4: No, No, For Real This Time".

Because man, it would be worth it just to watch Mama Robotnik explode again.

Mael

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, I'm kind of hoping their next game is titled "The Real Sonic the Hedgehog 4: No, No, For Real This Time".

Because man, it would be worth it just to watch Mama Robotnik explode again.

Wouldn't that vindicate him?

And regulus Terra your avatar is mesmerizing

I downloaded the Japan PSN demo and I liked what I played. The game looks really crisp and clean and it sounds pretty good too. I especially liked the chime for the continue at the end.

This is definitely not the same Sonic I played when I was in 3rd grade waaaaaay back when I was a kid. But ya know what that's really not so bad after all.

Sonic feels kind of heavy to me for lack of a better word at the moment. The way he jumps, builds up speed and moves just seems a little sluggish and unresponsive compared to the older games. BUT after a few runs through the demo I got the hang of it and was able to breeze through in just under a minute. Even though it plays differently it's still pretty darn fun and the homing attack isn't as bad as I was expecting...

This game has a slightly different set of rules from the originals but at heart it is a Sonic game and I like it. I am not a big fan of the PS3's controller so I'll pick it up for 360 in the next couple of days. :)

Gravijah

Mael said:
:lol

I'm no fan of Raichu actually but the animation is really good on that one
(and yeah scribblechu is cool too)

POKEMON BLACK/WHITE, MAN!

What the hell are we talking about Pokemon in this thread for?

Gravijah said:

I brought it up to piss people off. Also to gather all the Pokemon fans and all the Sonic fans in one place for easy disposal by Dragona.

Mael

Gravijah said:

yeah but still!

Also Willy can you update the OP with the scores or will there be a thread for it like all the others?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I brought it up to piss people off. Also to gather all the Pokemon fans and all the Sonic fans in one place for easy disposal by Dragona.

Devious! Can you bring the people that can't shutup about FF7Remake too?

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:

quick time to change my avatar to tactics ogre or something

Mael said:
y
Devious! Can you bring the people that can't shutup about FF7Remake too?
I can try.

A remake of Sonic Heroes is a more desirable product than a remake of FF7, because at least the story manages some coherence, unlike a certain fanslobbered pile of sub-Image Comics wank that goes masquerading around as a decent RPG.

Suzuki Yu

i just tried the PS3 ver, man the gameplay is really addictive! i can say that i am really happy with this game .

ShadiWulf said:
New Record for me:

Splash Hill Zone Act 1: 0'55'79

Just beat RobbieNicks best time by 2 seconds.... similar to what i did to him in all stars racing =P

beat ya all XD

IMG_0605.jpg

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
I can try.

A remake of Sonic Heroes is a more desirable product than a remake of FF7, because at least the story manages some coherence, unlike a certain fanslobbered pile of sub-Image Comics wank that goes masquerading around as a decent RPG.

i will not fall for it

YOU CANNOT DESTROY MY NOSTALGIA

at least there's nothing bad to be said about ff8

nope, not one thing

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Segata Sanshiro said:
I can try.

He said FF VII, not FF VI *runs*

Mael

Segata Sanshiro said:
I can try.

I advise anyone fluent in french to pick it up on PSN to understand the level of the disaster this game can actually reach.
To put it lightly it makes Zero Wing's original translation look like a piece of fine literature.

More on topic though, I guess we'll get plenty of reviews when the 360/ps3 will be out, right?
Also the demo is only for Jp psn?

Combichristoffersen said:
He said FF VII, not FF VI *runs*

Come on FFVII is not THAT bad, it warrant at least being called decent, right?

jman2050

Segata Sanshiro said:
I can try.

Trying too hard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tried the PSN demo and, wow, I can't believe how much more fun and polished this feels next to the awful iPhone version.

It's a shame people can't get over the changes and are unable enjoy this game as it really is a lot of fun.

It definitely shares some design aspects with Sonic Rush, but the level design is much less focused on pure speed.

I can't see how anyone could play this and claim it flat out sucks. This is not Sonic cycle material here. This is legitimately good in the same way that New Super Mario Bros. was good.

Combichristoffersen

Mael said:
Come on FFVII is not THAT bad, it warrant at least being called decent, right?

FF VII is pretty good (well, besides the graphics), but I was gauding Segata by implying that FF VI is horribly overrated
which it is

Not-Gravijah said:
:( B-But you're my role model.
There, there, little one. It will be swift.

FF VII is pretty good (well, besides the graphics), but I was gauding Segata by implying that FF VI is horribly overrated
which it is
I'm willing to insult any Final Fantasy. Except Final Fantasy II. That is one of Kawazu's precious works of art.

Mael

dark10x said:
Tried the PSN demo and, wow, I can't believe how much more fun and polished this feels next to the awful iPhone version.

It's a shame people can't get over the changes and are unable enjoy this game as it really is a lot of fun.

It definitely shares some design aspects with Sonic Rush, but the level design is much less focused on pure speed.

I can't see how anyone could play this and claim it flat out sucks. This is not Sonic cycle material here. This is legitimately good in the same way that New Super Mario Bros. was good.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

which it is

Segata Sanshiro said:
As evidenced by the fact that my most frequently typed word on NeoGAF is "WHOOOOOSH", subtlety gets you nowhere around here.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm willing to insult any Final Fantasy. Except Final Fantasy II. That is one of Kawazu's precious works of art.

And he can do that alone too :lol

jman2050

dark10x said:

Oh come on, did you really have to go there? Couldn't we have gone a little longer before invoking Mario into this discussion?

Cause you know that's just not going to end well at all.

WillyFive

Yeah. It's great that we are realizing Sonic 4 was not the bad thing we thought it was going to be, but don't ruin it by trying to compare it to Mario, because I will join in on the hate this time.

Combichristoffersen

Segata Sanshiro said:

I have not played FF II, but let us together insult FF VIII. I'll start: the developers smelt of elderberries!

Suzuki Yu

i noticed that SONIC TEAM is more involved in this game than they usually do in any Dimps game.
other than the usual producer, director, art director, sound creator . there are now technical director and a bunch of artist and technical support .

I have not played FF II, but let us together insult FF VIII. I'll start: the developers smelt of elderberries!
The game had a lot of good ideas on paper, was completely broken in practice, and explained itself both longwindedly and confusingly. However, I give it credit: not many stories can manage to have their exciting climax in the opening cinema. 35 hours of boring denouement. Bravo, Square, truly your magnum opus.

Top Bottom