• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
0 HP said:
why is this specifically called sonic 4 if it doesn't pick up after sonic & knuckles?

Supposedly it's picking up some time after S3&K, with Sonic having ragekilled his shitty friends ditched Tails and Knuckles to go on an adventure alone, and then Robotnik appears to fuck shit up again

Synless

0 HP said:
why is this specifically called sonic 4 if it doesn't pick up after sonic & knuckles?
Because Sega doesn't know what they are doing. However, I played the demo on PS3 and it was pretty damn good. A couple complaints though.

1. You can still walk up walls.
2. Sonic feels like a truck.
3. Music sucks.

Other than that, pretty solid game and I will support their step I'm the right direction. Ruby if you read this make a suggestion for Sonic Team to play Sonic 1-Knuckles again and again until they figure out how it is supposed to play.

wow... 9/10 on eurogamer.

Not sure what to think, maybe I should buy it to encourage good sonic games.... maybe I should wait for a bundle of all the episodes though, do we know how many there will be?

I really don't think we'll see any drastic changes in Episode 2 (to the physics). If there's lock-on with Episode 1 (which I'm sure there will be)

Unless they patch Episode 1 with the changes they make to Episode 2 (that's possible for a downloadable title right?) I don't see them changing anything that big. Hearing about the ending for Episode 1 has me really excited for Ep2 though. :D

jman2050

YuriLowell said:
So are the physics floaty? What are people hating with the physics?

Overly tight, not fluid at all, and there's pretty much no momentum to speak of when moving around. It works I guess, but it's just really not fun at all moving Sonic around. There's no real skill involved at all.

Mael

So in the end I'm vindicated :D :
It's not the worst thing ever but it should never have been called Sonic 4

I know I'm easy to please.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Regulus Tera said:
Eggman robotises cute little critters, Sonic goes save them.

Nothing less, nothing more.

That would be nice. But this is Sonic after all, so expect some awful attempt at a grandiose soap opera story, with implied human/hedgehog sexual relations. And darknesssssss.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jman2050 said:
Oh come on, did you really have to go there? Couldn't we have gone a little longer before invoking Mario into this discussion?

Cause you know that's just not going to end well at all.
It's not as if I'm trolling Mario here.

Sonic 4 is good in the same way as NSMB. Both games have changed the controls enough to play differently than their original releases. Mario World is my favorite in that series and NSMB plays nothing like it. They both have a similar approach to visuals. While neither offer great audio, I'd argue that Sonic 4 is at least a huge step beyond NSMB which had some of the most boring tunes in the series history.

These two games were made in the same mold.

It's not the worst thing ever but it should never have been called Sonic 4
That may have been their biggest mistake.

Played the Japanese PSN demo and enjoyed it a lot. Definitely picking it up now.

And I was surprised at how clean the game looks. The image quality is extremely nice.

Synless said:
All the hate and suddenly, "not bad". :lol
'hate'?

You obviously have me confused with someone else.

Well, I mean, 'hate' is a pretty good word to generally describe me on NeoGAF, but if one were to summarize my stance on the Sonic 4 issue through all of this, I'd probably have fallen on the side of the defenders.

I still hate Sonic fans, though. All of you.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Segata Sanshiro said:
'hate'?

Well, I mean, 'hate' is a pretty good word to generally describe me on NeoGAF, but if one were to summarize my stance on the Sonic 4 issue through all of this, I'd probably have fallen on the side of the defenders.

You're slowly becoming one of them.

Mael

dark10x said:
It's not as if I'm trolling Mario here.

Sonic 4 is good in the same way as NSMB. Both games have changed the controls enough to play differently than their original releases. Mario World is my favorite in that series and NSMB plays nothing like it. They both have a similar approach to visuals. While neither offer great audio, I'd argue that Sonic 4 is at least a huge step beyond NSMB which had some of the most boring tunes in the series history.

These two games were made in the same mold.

I see where you came from here but the phrasing doesn't help, seriously if I read too quickly you seem to imply that Sonic 4 is somehow better than nsmb (and for the audio I can readily see that being true).
Yet NSMB added some set of moves from its 3d brethen (like Sonic4), even some that totally change the way you interact with the gameworld.
But that's where the similarity ends.
I mean while the walljump is some crazy acrobatic that should be in all platformers from now,
the homing attack is like it's polar opposite which removes control from the player while the walljump actually give more control.

In short, nsmb gave us crazy good platforming with walljumping while I fear Sonic 4 relying on homing attack might suffer from it.

But yeah if the game is fun, nothing to say except mission accomplished to whoever made it (it's a bit upseting that they could call that Sonic 4 if it's not perfect though).

dark10x

In short, nsmb gave us crazy good platforming with walljumping while I fear Sonic 4 relying on homing attack might suffer from it.

But yeah if the game is fun, nothing to say except mission accomplished to whoever made it (it's a bit upseting that they could call that Sonic 4 if it's not perfect though).
I'm not convinced the homing attack is going to ruin anything, though. This isn't like Sonic Rush with its boost button here.

It's definitely not perfect, but I feel the same way about NSMB's controls (which are too slippery and slow compared to Mario 3 and Mario World), but that did not ruin the game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Segata Sanshiro said:
'hate'?

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Link1110

I'm really liking it so far. Maybe I'm not picky, but I think that the Sonic Cycle has been averted here (and I hated the whole series after Sonic Adventure 2). A few issues (I've gotten to the end of the first zone so far.)

- Why does the game give you a full level select for just beating the first act? Copuldn't they just let you choose levels you beat already

- The special stages need an option to reverse left and right. These controls killed me in Tales of Vesperia, which wasn't even an action game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jman2050 said:
Overly tight, not fluid at all, and there's pretty much no momentum to speak of when moving around. It works I guess, but it's just really not fun at all moving Sonic around. There's no real skill involved at all.
Yeah, lack of momentum was what really killed it for me. There was a very specific mid-air momentum that Sonic had in the Genesis games, and since they were trying for Genesis level design here having that momentum screwed up really messed with my ability to tightly navigate the levels.

dark10x

Link1110 said:
I'm really liking it so far. Maybe I'm not picky, but I think that the Sonic Cycle has been averted here (and I hated the whole series after Sonic Adventure 2). A few issues (I've gotten to the end of the first zone so far.)

- Why does the game give you a full level select for just beating the first act? Copuldn't they just let you choose levels you beat already

- The special stages need an option to reverse left and right. These controls killed me in Tales of Vesperia, which wasn't even an action game.
They give you a full level select on consoles too? :\ Thought that was just an iPhone design choice.

Nabs

doesn't seem like it. i don't think the ps3 / xbox version is out there yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

Played the PS3 trial. Looks gorgeous and everything else fits. Just wish the blue blur would move his ass a bit quicker.

Definitely buying though...

schennmu said:
Are there any differences between PS360 and Wii versions despite resolution?
Wii music is different, as in it's not ogg or mp3 files it's midi sort of stuff to keep the game filesize low, obviously lower res and the option to use motion tilt for the special stages, that's about it I think.

Diablohead said:
Wii music is different, as in it's not ogg or mp3 files it's midi sort of stuff to keep the game filesize low, obviously lower res and the option to use motion tilt for the special stages, that's about it I think.

Yeah, it's either Wii or PS3 for me, 360 is not an option because of the controller. Guess I'll go PS3 in the end because trophies are a nice bonus.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Tried the PS3 JPN demo.

Not sure if it was mentioned but the game supports custom soundtracks from the XMB (if the original music is not to your liking). Also it's 1080p.

Enjoyed the demo - will purchase maybe.

DR2K

Banned
Played the demo. The physics piss me off, I went to national geographic and the way the hedgehogs move is nothing like in this game. Totally inaccurate, it's impossible to enjoy this game. The visuals were good, the mechanics were solid, I even had fun, but Sega promised me physics, so no buy.

DR2K said:
Played the demo. The physics piss me off, I went to national geographic and the way the hedgehogs move is nothing like in this game. Totally inaccurate, it's impossible to enjoy this game. The visuals were good, the mechanics were solid, I even had fun, but Sega promised me physics, so no buy.

4/10

Top Bottom