• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

qq more

Upsidedown Fuji said:
How does it play? Doesn't the Iphone have a gyroscope in it? Seems to make sense on that platform anyhow. Not sure how they thought it was ok on consoles too.
I don't have any devices to play the iOS version, but I remember hearing that they kept the original levels in.

qq more said:
I have a feeling the iOS version was the lead platform lol

A rumor I've heard is that Sonic 4 basically started as "an iOS Sonic game" and somebody higher up at the company decided to rebrand it and publish it as the sequel to Sonic 3 and some sort of grand retro revival.

Rlan

Will be interesting to see what they do graphically. The original was made with the 3G iPhone and WiiWare, which have graphical limits and filesize limits. Will they skip WiiWare altogether? Will they focus graphics more to an iPhone 4 & 5 variety?

qq more

Rlan said:
Will be interesting to see what they do graphically. The original was made with the 3G iPhone and WiiWare, which have graphical limits and filesize limits. Will they skip WiiWare altogether? Will they focus graphics more to an iPhone 4 & 5 variety?
They won't skip WiiWare. Sonic 4 most likely sold best on that, given the sales history for Sonic this gen.

Which reminds me... anyone have any idea which console Mega Man 9/10 sold the most in?

Shiggy

Upsidedown Fuji said:
edit: The well known and notorious mine-cart was tweaked in the final version for the better. The leaked beta version never saw the light of day in its orignal form. SEGA listens to valid criticisms sometimes before games release.

Right, I only played the beta now and there it's still available. Even the iOS version of the same level is better.

How does it play? Doesn't the Iphone have a gyroscope in it? Seems to make sense on that platform anyhow. Not sure how they thought it was ok on consoles too.

The Wii Remote also has a gyroscope, you control the cart or world by tilting the remote...though I never feel like I've got control over the cart.

WillyFive

perfectchaos007 said:
With new physics right!?

Every time Sega tries to make a new gameplay engine, it ends up being worse than the previous game (Sonic Adventure 2 (good) -> Sonic Heroes (dumb) -> Shadow the Hedgehog (bad) -> Sonic 2006 (a joke)).

It still angers me seeing Sonic 2006's snowboard sections being no where near as good as the ones from Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes' grinding not being as good as Sonic Adventure 2. It's unbelievable, they should be improving upon it, not replacing it with an inferior one.

Agree with the above entirely. As much as I dump on them due to aging pretty horribly, I think beneath the glitches and SPEED PADS EVERYWHERE Sonic Team got as close as they ever have with good physics for a 3D Sonic game in the original Adventure. Ever so slightly worse in Sonic Adventure 2 since Sonic seems a tad heavier, but the problems with that game have less to do with physics and more the level design often forcing you to just hold 'up' the entire time. And then so on and so forth with the rest of your point.

May as well repost my personal wishlist for Episode 2 if it's going to be significantly different to the first one like SEGA's PR is hinting at/desperately wants us to believe here.

Shiggy

Did anyone play the pinball level in which you need to achieve 100000 points? I really don't want to know whose idea that was.

And unlike with games such as Super Mario you rarely have the chance to react to enemies...how do you guys do it without always running into them? Having played both the iOS and WiiWare version now, I think the music is the best part of the game. Not that the music is any good...

Willy105 said:
It still angers me seeing Sonic 2006's snowboard sections being no where near as good as the ones from Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes' grinding not being as good as Sonic Adventure 2. It's unbelievable, they should be improving upon it, not replacing it with an inferior one.

Sonic '06 just angers me in general. The Big Rigs of platformers.

Shiggy said:
And unlike with games such as Super Mario you rarely have the chance to react to enemies...how do you guys do it without always running into them?

That's where rolling in to a ball is supposed to help. Rolling in to a ball not only increases Sonic's sensitivity to momentum, it makes you pretty much invincible to 80% of the game's enemies.

The cost is that you're also sort of out of control while rolling - it's harder to slow down when rolling, and you can't change direction at all. You succumb entirely to your own momentum.

That's why rolling was made. That's what makes it fun.

And wouldn't you know it, Sonic 4 doesn't understand this fact at all. Neither does Sonic Generations, really.

Shiggy

Sega1991 said:
That's where rolling in to a ball is supposed to help. Rolling in to a ball not only increases Sonic's sensitivity to momentum, it makes you pretty much invincible to 80% of the game's enemies.

The cost is that you're also sort of out of control while rolling - it's harder to slow down when rolling, and you can't change direction at all. You succumb entirely to your own momentum.

And wouldn't you know it, Sonic 4 doesn't understand this fact at all. Neither does Sonic Generations, really.

I've only played Sonic 1 recently on PC. I don't think the game gets as confusing as Sonic 4, especially when it comes to enemies that appear out of the blue. But you're right when it comes to rolling...I'm not really able to use it in Sonic 4 and the press 2 button action is also a bit weird. But nothing is as bad as the iPhone only levels...

Sega1991 said:

This is the golden rule to sonic physics which sega are unable to acknowledge, it's upsetting.

I have high hopes someone will mod the pc version of generations to be the ultimate version, if the pc version is actually real.

talkinghead

Neo Member
Guess i'll ask here too...
Since Sonic 4 is deal of the week on Windows Phone 7 right now, should i consider getting it?
I loved Sonic 1 & 2, never played any others, and i guess it would be nice to have on my phone, IF it is at least decent. The demo is very short, so i don't know what to expect from leveldesign for example. (The demo level was very simple "hold right to win" but i guess it's just an intro)

talkinghead said:
Since Sonic 4 is deal of the week on Windows Phone 7 right now, should i consider getting it?
I loved Sonic 1 & 2, never played any others, and i guess it would be nice to have on my phone, IF it is at least decent. The demo is very short, so i don't know what to expect from leveldesign for example. (The demo level was very simple "hold right to win" but i guess it's just an intro)

It is decent throughout, with moments of excellence. I would recommend it. Short but quite sweet, especially if you get into the time attack mode.

(Talking about the Wiiware version here. I assume the Windows Phone one is basically the same game, though)

talkinghead said:
If you're fine with the way it controls and Sonic's physics and stuff, then go for it. The level design is generally pretty decent, though most of the levels are fairly short.

talkinghead

Neo Member
Just bought it, the first special stage was a really nice flashback to the old Sonic games. (Speaking of flashbacks, the background was quite trippy too)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I kind of enjoy the game, but mostly for nostalgic purposes - I was REALLY into Sonic as a kid, collected the comics, etc.

But I still haven't beaten this. I can't manage to get the 4th Chaos Emerald and I refuse to continue on in the game until I do so.

OnPoint

Haha figured there would be a bump about Episode 2.

I still miss Hulen.

This game is still mediocre.

I don't think it's worth it for DotW, talkinghead.

C'est la vie.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Combichristoffersen said:
It's an awful game and definitely not deserving of the Sonic 4 name.
I used to call Sonic & Knuckles "Sonic 4" when I was little. I guess I could continue calling it that even though I know better.

This Sonic 4 is obviously in a parallel universe. :p

RobbieNick said:
LIVE Has a price drop of 800 points on Sonic 4.

Permanent?

It's still a little too much considering the entire game only contains four levels and can be beaten in about an hour and a half or so but considering how everything else on Xbox Live Arcade has crept up in price, that's probably as low as it's going to get.

Not everything can be as perfectly priced as Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, unfortunately.

Firestorm

800 point price drop or price drop to 800 points? I'd buy it at 200 points (400 with 50% off sale). $2.50 seems about right for what I've seen of this game and the demo.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dark Schala said:
I used to call Sonic & Knuckles "Sonic 4" when I was little. I guess I could continue calling it that even though I know better.

This Sonic 4 is obviously in a parallel universe. :p

S&K would be a far more worthy contender for the Sonic 4 name (S&K > S3). Hell, even the first Sonic Advance would be more worthy of the Sonic 4 title than the abomination that was eventually released as Sonic 4.

I'm having trouble getting it to load, but apparently the price drop is in fact permanent:

http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/12/sonic-4-episode-1-permanent-price-reduction/

Edit: There it goes:

We would like to share some good news with our loyal fans across the globe, from the 12th October 2011 Sonic 4: Episode 1 will be available to purchase for 800MSP on XBLA worldwide, and £6.29/€7.99/AU$12.95 on PSN in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

PSN North America will drop the price on 18th October.

No price drop on the Wii version I guess.

racerx77

Banned
I looked and didn't see anything on this, so I figured I would post it here for those who care...

SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced a New Year’s resolution that’s sure to please gamers worldwide: the iconic blue hedgehog will be making his 2D return in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II in 2012. Following the award-winning success of Episode I, which took the world by storm in 2010, Sonic will continue his journey through the epic Sonic 4 saga on Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation Network, and mobile platforms including the App Store, Android Market and Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone 7.

Fans have been eagerly anticipating the next episode in Sonic’s new side-scrolling adventure, and SEGA has been listening closely to their feedback. Armed with all-new character animations and a completely reworked physics engine, Episode II will expand the Sonic 4 storyline with new areas to speed through and new challenges to face.

“After twenty years in action, it’s clear that Sonic hasn’t slowed down one bit,” said Haruki Satomi, Senior Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “The first entry in the Sonic 4 saga was a major success. We’ve listened to the fans and been hard at work making sure we recapture that same spirit of fun in Episode II. We hope the fans will enjoy it.”

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II will support Android mobile devices powered by the NVIDIA Tegra mobile processor. It will be available on the Android Market and featured on the Tegra Zone app. In addition, SEGA and NVIDIA are working closely together to develop an even more enhanced version for Tegra 3, the world’s first quad-core mobile processor.

Nabs

It looks like you can copy over the Sonic texure from the iPad version. It's not as shitty as the usual one. Sadly, this does not make the game playable.

Here's another fun thing from the PC version, apparently if you hold both direction keys down at the same time Sonic freaks out and starts sliding.

That is like NES-level debugging. (Seriously, I've read about companies like Rare complaining when Nintendo would show up with a controller with a split d-pad so they could test this sort of thing.) That's amazing. I wonder if it's present in the other versions, or just some odd side-effect of the porting to PC?

Top Bottom