• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

OnPoint said:
So... any news incoming on Ep 2?
v5hiex.png

Articalys

Ruby, you should have mentioned the belated Christmas present you got!

ILbwr.jpg

Seriously though, you guys have a fantastic sense of humor and some of the best PR and fan relations in the business. Don't ever stop; looking forward to Ep. 2 and whatever's in store for the 20th anniversary!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Articalys said:

ILbwr.jpg

Seriously though, you guys have a fantastic sense of humor and some of the best PR and fan relations in the business. Don't ever stop; looking forward to Ep. 2 and whatever's in store for the 20th anniversary!

Awesome :lol

I'm still bitter about Sonic 4, though :(

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
OnPoint said:
So... any news incoming on Ep 2?
Nothing from me right now. We'll share more when ready. : )

Articalys said:

Ah, good times. :lol Thanks for linking it - I'm actually eating some of those candies at my desk right now. I'm a total fat kid at heart.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody knows how the iOS version is? I'm not asking about the game per se, but as a port (although wasn't iOS the lead plat btw? Iirc that was one of the thing thay screwed up the development of the game and crushed Sonic fans' hopes).
I'd be playing on iPad so I'd hate it if it's gyro-heavy. I wish the game was at least Universal.
I have the chance to play it on Wiiware, PSN and Live as well, but if the game's identical and gfx pretty similar then I would prefer to play it on-the-go.

Zen

Banned
Willy105 said:
I'm guessing there won't be an Episode 2.

But the hype was so fun for this game.

Since Sonic 4 sold well, and we've had confirmation that episode II is coming, I'd wager that there will be an episode II.

9.99 please!

Dash Kappei said:
Anybody knows how the iOS version is? I'm not asking about the game per se, but as a port (although wasn't iOS the lead plat btw? Iirc that was one of the thing thay screwed up the development of the game and crushed Sonic fans' hopes).
I'd be playing on iPad so I'd hate it if it's gyro-heavy. I wish the game was at least Universal.
I have the chance to play it on Wiiware, PSN and Live as well, but if the game's identical and gfx pretty similar then I would prefer to play it on-the-go.

Speaking of that, I'm surprised that Sega didn't make a PSP version, or DS version on DSI ware. Costs would be negligible.

I've heard that the IOS version is sub par compared to the others.

Re: Berlin

If you follow the link cited in this paragraph, you’ll notice some bolded letters scattered throughout that spell Berlin. The final paragraph affords another name, and a big clue:

Aristotle, often cited among the Greeks who wrote about Hedgehogs and their powerful wind-sensing abilities, was himself later categorized among writers and thinkers in a comparison that any Sonic fan might find quite interesting. Rumor has it, in fact, that there are two styles of science: compared as either objective or abstract. Find the false line within this paragraph itself, and you may find hidden answers of your own.

Googling Berlin, Aristotle, and hedgehog together, as many fans noticed, yields a Wikipedia entry for a 1953 published essay by modern thinker Isaiah Berlin. In it, Berlin theorizes many well known philosophers can be split into two camps: Those who see the world through a single idea, and those who draw upon several lesser ideas and experiences to form a world view. The title? "The Hedgehog and the Fox".

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/02/03/sega-celebrates-hedgehog-day-hints-at-tails-in-sonic-4-episode-2/

Clever.

Blueblur1

Clever stuff! Regardless, I expect the worst from Episode 2 after playing that initial outing. I wonder if they'll just cut Tails' flying maneuver and replace it with a homing attack just so they can lazily design another 4 stages? I'm being sarcastic but part of me believes that could happen which is scary...

PokeCapn's LP is decent. He seems to enjoy the game and there aren't really many shenanigans in his first run through. He takes the high roads for levels and it's generally very... normal and kind of unremarkable.

The second run he does is with Super Sonic, and he generally takes more time exploring the lower sections of levels (daring to jump down holes to see if they're bottomless pits, etc.)

He's also posted his Sonic 2006 and Black Knight LPs to Youtube, but he's having trouble getting the last episode of Black Knight uploaded because apparently Sega's got a copyright claim on a sequence of images from the final cutscene? Seems like the kind of thing I would imagine was put in place to stop people from spoiling the game's ending, but I doubt that really matters now. Maybe RubyEclipse could shed some light on things? *nudge*

TimmiT

Sega1991 said:
PokeCapn's LP is decent. He seems to enjoy the game and there aren't really many shenanigans in his first run through. He takes the high roads for levels and it's generally very... normal and kind of unremarkable.

The second run he does is with Super Sonic, and he generally takes more time exploring the lower sections of levels (daring to jump down holes to see if they're bottomless pits, etc.)

He's also posted his Sonic 2006 and Black Knight LPs to Youtube, but he's having trouble getting the last episode of Black Knight uploaded because apparently Sega's got a copyright claim on a sequence of images from the final cutscene? Seems like the kind of thing I would imagine was put in place to stop people from spoiling the game's ending, but I doubt that really matters now. Maybe RubyEclipse could shed some light on things? *nudge*
Yeah, I just watched the first four parts, and it's kind of dissapointing. I was hoping he would play through it without having played it before. Hopefully his Sonic Colours LP will be better. (though I doubt it because that game is actually good)

PokeCapn's S'06 Let's Play is one of the most hilarious Sonic-related series I've ever watched online, even if it was what eventually encouraged me to pick up the game (for about $5 along with Shadow, both pre-owned so it wasn't too much of a punch to the face) just out of morbid curiosity over just how badly the game could play. It's always hard when someone LP's a bad game to get across just how bad it controls; you can't help but feel while watching they have to be doing something wrong.

Thought his Unleashed was a bit lackluster though, but this is coming from someone who felt the daytime stages were overrated and had very finicky controls(though they were very very pretty and with a great soundtrack, something previous Sonic games can't attest to as much) and the werehog stages merely generic and boring; not the abomination he and the other guys LP-ing the game made them out to be.

Only watched the first video of the LP so far it but it seems to be a bit boring compared to PokeCapn's other LP's, probably due to Sonic 4 not really being a bad game unless you're comparing it to the previous numbered titles.

Also I wasn't a member last year but I lurked enough to notice Ruby Eclipse would log in every now and then to talk about the game. Didn't like how Episode 1 wound up at all, but I still appreciated people from SEGA taking the time to talk to people about it even when people were flaming it to hell and back.

0 HP

so im going back to this game, trying to get all the achievements, when i get stuck on LL Act 1. how do you stay balanced on those rolling balls again? i remember you had to tap left semi-quickly, but now when i push them and get on, i just totally fall off. whats the deal?

also, this game rules. i know its not sonic 4 for genesis, but its a pretty nice game. it feels like a lost saturn/dreamcast game. i love the music too, although they really went a little overboard using that sonic 3 chip effect. the only thing that sucks, though, is how this game is basically just a remake of 4 sonic levels that everyone's already played to death. if they were going down this route, they could have at least remixed star light zone or oil ocean.

if its not considered spam/flamebait, i might do an appreciation thread for this game

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
They need to learn how to make special stages fun again. Why they based them off the least fun genesis special stages I don't know.

Lijik

Astrosanity said:
Only watched the first video of the LP so far it but it seems to be a bit boring compared to PokeCapn's other LP's, probably due to Sonic 4 not really being a bad game unless you're comparing it to the previous numbered titles.
I think thats part of it, as well the LP essentially being the PokeCapn and KungFuJesus show. Don't get me wrong, I think those two are great but it feels weaker after being used to more robust ensembles.

0 HP

Showmeyamoves said:
They need to learn how to make special stages fun again. Why they based them off the least fun genesis special stages I don't know.
if they would have taken the sonic 1 aesthetic off, i think people would have enjoyed them more. you have to look at them differently than the sonic 1 stages to get good at them. i think it would have been even better if they were in 3d and you were falling, instead of actually rotating the stage

Only thing I minded about the special stages was the terrible remix and it's too tempting to just pause and restart with no penalty if you screw up. Gameplay wise to me it was one of the few areas of the game (like the majority of Lost Labyrinth) where it felt like a genuine, fun remix on a familiar concept rather than a lazy rehash (like most of the rest of the game).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Showmeyamoves said:

The Sonic 1 special stages were the third best (beaten by S3&K and Sonic CD, with Sonic CD having the best). Sonic 2's special stages are the truly awful ones.

TheOGB

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
The Sonic 1 special stages were the third best (beaten by S3&K and Sonic CD, with Sonic CD having the best). Sonic 2's special stages are the truly awful ones.
heybuddyfuckyou.jpg

reppin' dem tubes all day erry day

Anth0ny

So I was thinking... now that Sega has acknowledged that the "Classic Sonic" look exists, is there a chance that he'll replace modern Sonic in Sonic 4?

I remember some bullshit interview mentioning "Sonic's design has evolved over time, so that's why the new look is in Sonic 4 blah blah blah". But now that Generations has brought back the classic look, I see no reason why it shouldn't be in Sonic 4.

Anth0ny said:
So I was thinking... now that Sega has acknowledged that the "Classic Sonic" look exists, is there a chance that he'll replace modern Sonic in Sonic 4?

I remember some bullshit interview mentioning "Sonic's design has evolved over time, so that's why the new look is in Sonic 4 blah blah blah". But now that Generations has brought back the classic look, I see no reason why it shouldn't be in Sonic 4.

I'm thinking more like "We won't get Classic Sonic in Sonic 4 BECAUSE of Sonic Generations"

TheOGB

Banned
Sega1991 said:
I'm thinking more like "We won't get Classic Sonic in Sonic 4 BECAUSE of Sonic Generations"
Because they're going to kill him once and for all

Yep, time to get some sleep

ShadiWulf

did you guys see the iizuka quote on the Sonic Generations IGN interview? :lol: it's about Sonic 4. I figured i'd post it here.. since the other topic is so positive!

"In [Sonic the Hedgehog 4] Episode I, we didn't actually return to the old physics, and nor did we try to create something totally new," Iizuka says, "What we tried to do was respond to the voices we heard in the fans, and create something based on the feedback we were receiving from fans. On this occasion, with Sonic Generations, we've created a game with a totally different game and with completely different physics."

someone on the sega forums pointed this out, it's pretty funny
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1162323p1.html

Shiggy

I just decided to try the Sonic 4 beta version which was available on Japanese WiiWare. I remembered that people said that the mine cart level was really bad, but didn't remember why. Now that I've tried it with my Wii Remote, I know why. Not even the iPhone version was this bad imo.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah with the recent Sonic 4 Episode 2 updates I was waiting for this thread to get a bump.

I kinda wish Huelen was here. Even as a lurker I enjoyed his eccentricity :/

Holy necro posting. Huelen is in a better place now.

edit: The well known and notorious mine-cart was tweaked in the final version for the better. The leaked beta version never saw the light of day in its orignal form. SEGA listens to valid criticisms sometimes before games release.

qq more

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Holy necro posting. Huelen is in a better place now.

edit: The well known and notorious mine-cart was tweaked in the final version for the better. The leaked beta version never saw the light of day in its orignal form. SEGA listens to valid criticisms sometimes before games release.
It's in the iOS version.

qq more

TheCongressman1 said:
Sadly, yes.

It's not surprising. Sega said "Why scrap that?! It took 2 whole days to put that together! Let's throw it into the iOS version and call it an extra!"
I have a feeling the iOS version was the lead platform lol

Top Bottom