• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't touched it myself, but IIRC the common complaints were that it has a bit of slowdown here and there and the DS screen isn't quite the right size for Genesis games. You could do worse for a portable Sonic fix.

Thanks, guess I'll pick it up. Sucks that there aren't too many ways to play S3&K on a portable without DS/PSP homebrew.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played it with my DSi last summer and I thought it was ok. But you do get the feeling that the screen doesn't feel right for it.

EDIT: Fuck, new page.
Tsk tsk.

Linking to 240p videos of music is a terrible thing to do. :(

There we go. Sing to me, Tokoi.
I feel ashamed. I was looking for it quick while looking for combo videos for another thread? I know, that isn't a valid excuse. -_-

I used to like this music but now all it does is give me post traumatic flashbacks to when I was doing the Shamar hotdog missions and had to do the levels with the bees and fire wizards over and over and over with reduced health or under a time limit.
I can't decide which enemies I dislike more: the bees or the fire wizards. With the fire wizards, you need to take the extra step of putting out the flames to hit them or else you'll be set on fire. But those bees hit extra hard and they don't die.

This is why I didn't do all the hot dog missions. I'd probably hate the game by the end.

We all know the bees are the absolute worst.
All this quality night time music that I don't remember being squandered in Werehog stages leaves me miserable, I didn't even hear them Sega! I didn't even hear!

TheOGB

Banned
So uh... quick question: Is Sonic Classic Collection a competent handheld Sonic compilation? Might be going on a vacation in a few months, and was considering picking this up so I could play it during the trip.

Also, is there any truth to it playing better on a DSi/3DS than on a DS Lite? I remember reading that somewhere, but can't remember whether it was verified or not.
I've also been wondering the same thing for a long time and never thought to ask around. :p If this is worth it me and my DSi XL are ready.

But from what I hear it is DSi-enhanced to make use of the extra RAM/better specs or something.

edit: did not realize I hadn't refreshed and there was a new page

I vaguely recall there being an audio issue with it, like instead of emulating sound, it intercepted the sound calls and played samples instead. But because it did it that way, some of the sounds ended up breaking in some situations, like the Spin Dash....

And yes, it did run better on a DSi, but on a DSi it becomes region locked, versus when played on a DS.

Lijik

Guys how do you beat the last special stage in Sonic 4 episode 2? I cant figure it out for the life of me

The rest had been really easy too

Shit that happens in the Sonic community doesn't seem newsworthy for a site that people visit for news about Sonic games. As for SS volunteering information to the article, here's an excerpt from the full e-mail she sent to Tristan:

That's about all I will say regarding this because I really don't feel like talking more about TSSZ.

The last thing I will say, because I feel like I have to: Tristan implied to me that there were legal reasons he could not share the full correspondence. It seemed like an act of courtesy the way he told it, but he knew ScarredSun was threatening to put that up and basically figured "Well, that's her problem."

So uh... quick question: Is Sonic Classic Collection a competent handheld Sonic compilation? Might be going on a vacation in a few months, and was considering picking this up so I could play it during the trip.

Also, is there any truth to it playing better on a DSi/3DS than on a DS Lite? I remember reading that somewhere, but can't remember whether it was verified or not.

The resolution is squashed on the DS, there's almost no bonus features, etc. It's true that it runs better on the DSi, because the DSi has a little more horsepower and RAM than a standard DS does (for internet functions, but games can use it too).

The little bit I played of it on my DS did not leave me entirely thrilled, but I suppose if you absolutely must have the Genesis Sonics and have a DSi it might not be entirely awful.

Guys how do you beat the last special stage in Sonic 4 episode 2? I cant figure it out for the life of me

The rest had been really easy too

Either find a person to pick up controller 2 and do it or learn how to lead Tails to do what you want him to do.

qq more

Episode 1 in its entirety is fucking terrible.

I agree. I was replaying it just to get all of the achievements but the special stages are so god awful (along with the stupid level design of the entire game) I'm just gonna bother with it later. Not a fun game at all.

Sonic 4 is like Mega Man X6. Both games features baffling level design and both have a large amount of members of their respective defense forces. How sad. (yes, there's a lot of people that defends both of those trash)

I agree. I was replaying it just to get all of the achievements but the special stages are so god awful (along with the stupid level design of the entire game) I'm just gonna bother with it later. Not a fun game at all.

Sonic 4 is like Mega Man X6. Both games features baffling level design and both have a large amount of members of their respective defense forces. How sad. (yes, there's a lot of people that defends both of those trash)

X6 at least has a fucking awesome OST.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

The worst part of that steaming pile of shit is the final boss. I have no idea how anyone at Sega/Sonic Team/Dimps thought it was a good idea to throw in a boss that takes close to 30 hits, where you have to get the final hit just right or die and start all over again. I ragequit at the final boss when I first bought Episode 1 at release, and let it rot for a year or so before I bothered going back to it just to finish it. Episode II may not be the best thing ever, but it was a vastly much more enjoyable experience than Episode I, despite the bosses taking far too long to defeat.

qq more

X6 at least has a fucking awesome OST.
It's really sad such a badass OST got wasted on such a terrible game. (I'm gonna have to say X6 is much worse than Sonic 4 due to the bad Nightmare System and Gate's levels)

The worst part of that steaming pile of shit is the final boss. I have no idea how anyone at Sega/Sonic Team/Dimps thought it was a good idea to throw in a boss that takes close to 30 hits, where you have to get the final hit just right or die and start all over again. I ragequit at the final boss when I first bought Episode 1 at release, and let it rot for a year or so before I bothered going back to it just to finish it. Episode II may not be the best thing ever, but it was a vastly much more enjoyable experience than Episode I, despite the bosses taking far too long to defeat.

The final boss in both episodes were horrid. I can't believe how poorly designed the bosses are overall in both episodes.

And yeah Ep 2 is better (not by much due to level design that is sometimes more dickish than the worst of Ep 1's) although it has the worst enemy in any Sonic game. Oh god, the Walruses in White Park Act 3... OH GOD

It's really sad such a badass OST got wasted on such a terrible game. (I'm gonna have to say X6 is much worse than Sonic 4 due to the bad Nightmare System and Gate's levels)

It's definitely the one thing about the game that doesn't seem slapped together haphazardly.

I think I recall X6 being borderline unbeatable with some armor combinations. Such terrible level design.

Anth0ny

Sonic Adventure 2 is still fucking amazing, the pinnacle of 3D Sonic, and I'd rather play one million Knuckles stages than that god awful BOOST BOOST BOOST Colors garbage.

I missed you guys <3

qq more

Sonic Adventure 2 is still fucking amazing, the pinnacle of 3D Sonic, and I'd rather play one million Knuckles stages than that god awful BOOST BOOST BOOST Colors garbage.

I missed you guys <3
I still think you've never played Colors.

Welcome back

MMX6's level design may be awful, but the art design and the controls are in another league from Sonic 4's brand of awfulness. The stage music is more than 30 second loops (not to knock Senoue's compositions in that game but they got old very quickly compared to the 16-bit classics).

The special stages were worse than the ones in Sonic Heroes, IMO, and that's saying something.

qq more

MMX6's level design may be awful, but the art design and the controls are in another league from Sonic 4's brand of awfulness. The stage music is more than 30 second loops (not to knock Senoue's compositions in that game but they got old very quickly compared to the 16-bit classics).

The special stages were worse than the ones in Sonic Heroes, IMO, and that's saying something.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying both Sonic 4 and X6 has the same exact flaws. They just both have a defense force and terribad level design! X6 looks kind of ugly though, but yeah definitely better looking than Sonic 4 Ep 1. (Pre-rendered backgrounds mixed with sprites is a horrible combination)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I missed you guys <3
Ohhhh maaaahhhhh gaaaawwwwd. You're back.

So... SA2 > SA1 > [put Generations/Unleashed/R/Heroes/etc in here] > Sonic 2006 >>>>>>>>>> Colours?

Anth0ny

Ohhhh maaaahhhhh gaaaawwwwd. You're back.

So... SA2 > SA1 > [put Generations/Unleashed/R/Heroes/etc in here] > Sonic 2006 >>>>>>>>>> Colours?

Generations (2D) > SA2 > Heroes/SA1 (I'd like to replay both games, it's been a while) > 06 > Generations (Modern) > Colors > What I've played of Unleashed

I'm probably going to write up a huge post in the SA2 thread about my impressions playing SA2 XBLA after not touching the game for a few years. I really thought it wouldn't hold up.

Nope. Still awesome.

Mention of Adventure made me want to play Sonic Adventure 1 again...and then I realized I don't have the game for the DC right now...drat. It may be just hiding somewhere.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying both Sonic 4 and X6 has the same exact flaws. They just both have a defense force and terribad level design! X6 looks kind of ugly though, but yeah definitely better looking than Sonic 4 Ep 1. (Pre-rendered backgrounds mixed with sprites is a horrible combination)

I didn't know Sonic was a sprite in that game.
o_o I thought he was rendered, like Mario in the NSMB games.

qq more

I didn't know Sonic was a sprite in that game.
o_o I thought he was rendered, like Mario in the NSMB games.

I was referring to X6, not Sonic 4. I should of have worded that better.

Generations (2D) > SA2 > Heroes/SA1 (I'd like to replay both games, it's been a while) > 06 > Generations (Modern) > Colors > What I've played of Unleashed
WU63T.gif

I don't know if Anth0ny's trolling or not, but with the exception of 06 being better than Generation's modern stages (neve played 06 but that can't possibly be true), I pretty much agree with him.

qq more

I don't know if Anth0ny's trolling or not, but with the exception of 06 being better than Generation's modern stages (neve played 06 but that can't possibly be true), I pretty much agree with him.

The thing is that I still don't get how anyone could consider 06 better than any of these other 3D Sonic games... except for Shadow The Hedgehog. Sonic 06 is like if you take everything wrong with the franchise, roll it into one game, and then add more problems to it. The only redeeming quality is the music and even then it isn't that great.

Also Anth0ny claimed Colors is hold forward to win... which is why I don't really think he actually played the game.

Your snark is not needed.

I missed you guys <3

This thread really is a dangerous opinion magnet

Episode 1 in its entirety is fucking terrible.

Phew, that's better.

qq more

Oh, I am cynical. Just not extremely cynical... yet

EDIT: Then again, I never beaten all of Heroes and Shadow and I've barely gotten much into 06... and I still eventually have to play that trash game. Oh god

Oh come on guys, Heroes is pretty good. The level design is inspired by the classics, there's barely a trace of the grimdark that so many fans dislike about SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, and the music is catchy as hell.

And at least it isn't plagued by "speed boost to win" game design like Colors.
I kid, I kid! :)

I missed you guys <3

I told you man that you were to make use of your time off and enlighten yourself with Colours!
GAAAAAWWWWWD! Colours don't even have much BOOST times 3!

Bah Gawd Anth0ny has returned and he's got his sights set on the SA2 thread!

Coming to think of it I didn't get another mainline Sonic game until Unleashed after playing Heroes, Heroes is like the herald that brought with it the message of warning, it did this by being kind of shitty.

It starts off decent, runs out of ideas, then rapidly descends into shittiness beginning with the last section of the power plant stage with only Frog Forest and Egg Fleet being pretty decent stages on the back half of the game which is mostly full of dreck.
Also the bosses are absolutely horrendous.

Which version did you play?

Gamecube version. This was at the height of my obsession with the Adventure games as a 11/12/13 year old and I still thought it was terrible. Like, 'completely put me off the series for several years' terrible.

Also even though the Adventure games haven't aged gracefully, Heroes you can just flat out tell they did not give a fuck. You're going to need an air tight argument to convince me it wasn't the first major game Sonic Team clearly had no clue what the hell they were doing with the franchise, and superficial 'classic' elements or fanservicey crap doesn't excuse the atrocious gameplay.

Though considering I was a retarded deviantART tween who was probably on the verge of creating their own fan-character it was in retrospect an appreciated wake-up call.

qq more

I hated Heroes for the following reasons:
-Levels tends to overstay their welcome.
-Controls are annoying sometimes. It's too easy to fall into a pit on a tiny platform because of the actions.
-Chaotix Missions were tedious.
-Everyone keeps yapping and yapping during the game, so annoying.
-Enemies has multiple HP, which drags out fights with them.

It's been a LONGGGG while since I last played the game, but yeah it was a massive disappointment. I was pretty excited for the game.

EDIT: Also it was the Gamecube version.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Heroes had glorious graphics on PC, but the game was a buggy, janky mess. And boring to boot. Just an awful game through and through. Although it did amuse me by giving Metal Sonic feet that looked like persian slippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom