• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought ViewtifulJC tended to stick with Sub-Zero at the beach.

To go along with Baraka at the White House, Liu Kang Baking a Pie, Kano on the Phone, Johnny Cage in the Shower, and Shao Kahn Going Shopping.

Speaking of avatar changes, Mike Dawson's getting a bit long in the tooth.

qq more

That movie is coming out tonight? :X Anyone gonna stream it here? Would be a fun event, I think. (even though the movie might be truly awful!)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That movie is coming out tonight? :X Anyone gonna stream it here? Would be a fun event, I think. (even though the movie might be truly awful!)
Supposed to be midnight, I guess?

vamFi.png

I dunno how streaming works. :p

qq more

I think some of us here can stream. Don't know if I can though... not really experienced with that at all!

EDIT: I lie, I do have some experience but I can't for the life of me figure out how to have my stream play sounds from my comp.

qq more

Sonic Blast?

EDIT:
NEW ADS. NEW SHIT.
sonicadspart2.png

Super Sonic's sprite looks weird

and... is that Sky Sancutary with a SMW background?! :lol :lol

Noi

I can stream, though I can't guarantee HD quality. I guess that's less the point of streaming it in the first place though. :p

qq more

what is even happening in that second panel

is Super Sonic fighting Magneto, dodging some flying metal boards
This is why I love these ads. It's full of "what the fuck". Nothing of it makes ANY sense.

I can stream, though I can't guarantee HD quality. I guess that's less the point of streaming it in the first place though. :p
Yeah, that's fine. As long as it's watchable. Are you interested in streaming the movie?

I don't even think they're going to have it ready for tonight anyway.

KBfkm.png

That's also fine. I think the weekends is the best time for us to watch it. Is anyone else interested in watching this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is why I love these ads. It's full of "what the fuck". Nothing of it makes ANY sense.

That's also fine. I think the weekends is the best time for us to watch it. Is anyone else interested in watching this?
What is going on in that second one. Maybe it's because I can't see it well, but the sprite looks strange.

Yeah, you know I'm interested in it. It's gotta be a little later during the day, though.

Speaking of Sonic Colours, I wonder why Kakipi doesn't really do speedruns of Colours (outside of not really jiving well with his playstyle because Colours speedruns are more about conserving your boost and using it at the right time to skip).

Oh, this wasn't posted in the thread, right? Kakipi running through Sonic Generations Radical Train

Noi

Man, those skips in Sonic Colors are great. Love how people find ways to skip huge chunks of stages in games like that.

Yeah, that's fine. As long as it's watchable. Are you interested in streaming the movie?

Wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I finally picked up Sonic Generations.

OMG this game is amazing. I so did not get the memo that Sonic was legitimately back.

It's not just adequate Sonic. It's excellent Sonic. Both 2D and 3D levels are the best they've been in 10-15 years. It plays right. I've read a million forum debates over Sonic physics... and it turns out that it was easily possible to recapture it after all.

I'm playing with 3D glasses and it's amazing. So visceral. Best 3D gaming I've tried so far.

And that nostalgia. I was prompted to make this post after I heard the Knuckles Chaotix music in the collection area. It's referencing the old games in just the right way, in terms of art design and music.

It's like the very moment the Sonic Cycle was solidified as a truism after Sonic 4.... they got it right.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say all this, and I'm late as hell, but my face right now is like @_@

Colors is next.

OMG this game is amazing. I so did not get the memo that Sonic was legitimately back.

It's not just adequate Sonic. It's excellent Sonic. Both 2D and 3D levels are the best they've been in 10-15 years. It plays right. I've read a million forum debates over Sonic physics... and it turns out that it was easily possible to recapture it after all.

I'm playing with 3D glasses and it's amazing. So visceral. Best 3D gaming I've tried so far.

And that nostalgia. I was prompted to make this post after I heard the Knuckles Chaotix music in the collection area. It's referencing the old games in just the right way, in terms of art design and music.

It's like the very moment the Sonic Cycle was solidified as a truism after Sonic 4.... they got it right.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say all this, and I'm late as hell, but my face right now is like @_@

Colors is next.

Hopefully you're not too far into the game to experience them, but make sure to free the characters as Classic Sonic.

Noi

I don't like Generations as much as others do, but I can recognize that it's on a whole 'nother league than the other 3D attempts except Colors. Colors is still the most fun I've had with 3D Sonic, though it's a shame that it's stuck on just the Wii. Hopefully it pops up on PSN/XBLA someday like the others.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I told you guys in other threads. ;___;

It was back with Unleashed, imo, but it had a few issues that needed addressing (pacing, medals, an unbalanced Werehog, etc). But Colours and Generations are the two recent games I'd recommend to others.

As for the physics, the spindash is overpowered and irregular--but it surprisingly feels proper in the 3DS version. But we don't really discuss physics much in here. I don't think I remember a lot of physics discussions in this thread, tbh, other than stuff feeling heavy or odd in fangames.

I don't like Generations as much as others do, but I can recognize that it's on a whole 'nother league than the other 3D attempts except Colors. Colors is still the most fun I've had with 3D Sonic, though it's a shame that it's stuck on just the Wii.
I totally agree. I'd played Colours before Unleashed, instantly fell in love with it, and felt that they finally learned and made a compromise with what I'd personally wanted from the series.

You probably missed the best one with Amy after Chemical Plant.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I told you guys in other threads. ;___;

I think I heard praise for the game before, but I really did dismiss it. I was still hopeful for Sonic as recently as Sonic 4's announcement....... but that game burned me to the point where I was just like "don't even talk to me, Sega". :p But I think they really got the urgency to figure their shit out, at about that time...

It was back with Unleashed, imo, but it had a few issues that needed addressing (pacing, medals, an unbalanced Werehog, etc)
I have had Unleashed for years. Artistically, that is an amazing game, and I love the Sonic daytime levels. But the werehog dragged that game down to unplayable status to me. I know it's the cliche, but werehog ruined that game. I slogged through one or two of the sequences before giving up. I've tried to play it again on many occasions... but keep getting dragged down by those hog stages. The fact that a really fast, visceral thrill is intercut with lengthy button-mashing slogs is literally a gaming crime.

Pacing, as you say. I mean, it's Sonic. How foolish do you have to be to slow it down to a snail's pace?

But Generations is like top-shelf 3D Sonic, intercut with pretty great 2D Sonic, intercut with challenges! :D No pacing problems here.

Noi

Egg Nega Wisp should have been the final Eggman fight in Generations instead of the Egg Dragoon.

Oh boy, this Sonic 06 run is already hilarious. "What zone doesn't have glitches?"

I totally agree. I'd played Colours before Unleashed, instantly fell in love with it, and felt that they finally learned and made a compromise with what I'd personally wanted from the series.

Watching the AGDQ run, I think part of the reason I like Colors more is the actual levels being new and pretty out-there compared to games in the past. Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival are my two favorite zones in ANY Sonic game. That and the Wisps were a perfect tool in changing up the tried and true Sonic gameplay without doing something as awful as the Werehog or forcing you to play as other, slower, characters.

Man, why are these missable. I hate the thought that someone can and will likely beat the game without seeing these cause of how the acts are arranged.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny exposed.

BocoDragon said:
I think I heard praise for the game before, but I really did dismiss it. I was still hopeful for Sonic as recently as Sonic 4's announcement....... but that game burned me to the point where I was just like "don't even talk to me, Sega". :p But I think they really got the urgency to figure their shit out, at about that time...
To be fair, that game was made by Dimps whose level designs haven't been that great for some time.

BocoDragon said:
I have had Unleashed for years. Artistically, that is an amazing game, and I love the Sonic daytime levels. But the werehog dragged that game down to unplayable status to me. I know it's the cliche, but werehog ruined that game. I slogged through one or two of the sequences before giving up. I've tried to play it again on many occasions... but keep getting dragged down by those hog stages. The fact that a really fast, visceral thrill is intercut with lengthy button-mashing slogs is literally a gaming crime.

Pacing, as you say. I mean, it's Sonic. How foolish do you have to be to slow it down to a snail's pace?
They poorly balanced the Werehog. If it were powered up more, stages would have went by faster, and I suspect that if the game had the Knuckles model instead of the Werehog model, then maybe people wouldn't have disliked it as much?

The medals did more harm than good for some people, but I have my own unpopular opinion on that. It did mess up the pacing, though.

Noi said:
Watching the AGDQ run, I think part of the reason I like Colors more is the actual levels being new and pretty out-there compared to games in the past. Sweet Mountain and Starlight Carnival are my two favorite zones in ANY Sonic game. That and the Wisps were a perfect tool in changing up the tried and true Sonic gameplay without doing something as awful as the Werehog or forcing you to play as other, slower, characters.
Well, it also went back slightly to having shields (because the shield stuff ended up being incorporated into regular Modern Sonic gameplay; for example: fire shield's boost = Sonic's boost).

Kokonoe

Banned
If it wasn't for Sky Canyon (I couldn't beat it), I'd say Sonic CD and Sonic Advance 2 are around the same for me. Well, I personally prefer how Sonic Advance 2 controls, but both games to me have some pretty lousy level designs.

Sonic CD

This game is a bounce simulator cause you're bouncing all over the place on popping spheres, wacky workbench, and that oddly done pinball part. Metallic Madness is a pretty boring level.

Petpeeve, but Sonic CD is too 90s neon garish for me with the colors. Don't really care for it.

Sonic Advance 2

Too many oddly placed spikes and enemy placements. Sky Canyon has too many deathpits and that soured my run of it. Unlike CD however, I can a actually say I liked 2-3 levels from it apart from the 1 I like in Sonic CD.

Bosses

Sonic CD wins here, but I still feel the bosses are kinda jank. Advance 2 bosses are just the same thing over and over.

Collecting stuff in both games is a pain, but I haven't played Sonic Advance 2's special stage. I did play Sonic CD's and it is the worst one I've played. You have a lack of control/steering on Sonic and you float as if you're balloon filled with helium. The timer being really short doesn't help either.

If I were to pick? I'd rather go with Sonic Advance 2 as it looks better and is just more fun to me.

Collecting stuff in both games is a pain, but I haven't played Sonic Advance 2's special stage. I did play Sonic CD's and it is the worst one I've played. You have a lack of control/steering on Sonic and you float as if you're balloon filled with helium. The timer being really short doesn't help either.
Actually, if you hold down on the DPad, you can slow down to make tight turns better.

I didn't learn about this until very, very recently. Not sure if it helps, though. I really like Sonic CD, but its special stages ARE kinda janky. At least they're not required to get the good ending, and even if they were, aren't a total pain in the ass to reach.

qq more

In Sonic CD 2011 you can easily retry the special stages as much as you want as long as you pause the game and quit to the menu. Loading the save will take you back to the special stage right away. But you have to be a bit quick about that because when the timer hits 0, you can't do that retry trick as the game will sends you to the result screen and saves right away. Only happened to me once, so it isn't that bad.
The special stages reminds me of Sonic Advance 1, they're both fun but flawed because the judge distance is a real bitch to deal with.

Oh and Advance 2's special stages are actually pretty damn fun. But it's still not worth it for collecting the god awful special rings :( I will never get over that it seems.

qq more

I've never played FF much but I refuse to believe that any FF game from the 16bit era could be considered the worst when FFX-2 exists.

Although I heard it has a good battle system but everything else looked soooo damn cringe worthy.

Beef is powered by attention over bad opinions about Final Fantasy games, clearly

He's just stealing Anth0ny's schtick, except making it way more controversial

I've never played FF much but I refuse to believe that any FF game from the 16bit era could be considered the worst when FFX-2 exists.

Although I heard it has a good battle system but everything else looked soooo damn cringe worthy.
Great battle system, which is enough for some people. FF4 doesn't even have that luxury. It's pure garbage from beginning to end. I wish I had never played it.
Beef is powered by attention over bad opinions about Final Fantasy games, clearly

He's just stealing Anth0ny's schtick, except making it way more controversial

Anth0ny is insane, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom