• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

It has taken me 20 minutes to watch the first 6 minutes

In those 6 minutes, there are cameos by Brentalfloss, AVGN, Smosh, and Doug Walker.

Apparently Keith Apicary and Egoraptor are in here somewhere too

EUGH DOUG WALKER AS IN NOSTALGIC CRITIC???

FUCKKKKK THAT SHIT

EVENT CANCELLED! GOOD DAY/NIGHT!

Well, I don't know of any other popular Doug Walker.

Also I like the Nostalgia Critic :V

I wasn't expecting this movie to be cameo-laden. Is that really the direction you'd want to take a project like this?

qq more

If it makes you feel any better he doesn't have any dialog from what I've forced myself to watch

oh thank god because i cant stand his grating voice

although 20 mins is actually kind of the real deal breaker for the event... kind of too short! anyone still interested anyways?

Noi

oh thank god because i cant stand his grating voice

although 20 mins is actually kind of the real deal breaker for the event... kind of too short! anyone still interested anyways?

Why not. I could always keep the party going with my continued struggles in getting 180 SA2 emblems.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't hate me because FF4 is a pizza.
FF4 is barely a pizza.

FF4 sucks.

I've never played FF much but I refuse to believe that any FF game from the 16bit era could be considered the worst when FFX-2 exists.
I love Final Fantasy X-2.

Favourites with regards to battle system/ability system: FFX-2, FFV, FFX, FFXII

Final Fantasy X-2 took Final Fantasy V's implementation of the job system and modified it to something even more special. While I liked FFV's job system very much, I absolutely loved ATB Kai and the evolutions FFX-2 made to it via the Dressphere system. The on-the-fly job switching system allowed for so much flexibility and different combinations/permutations (if you required it) of jobs between characters and across the party to modify the party dynamic and synergy... and you could add those job spheres to a garment grid sometimes separated by stat enhancers that took effect if you passed through them in order to switch jobs on the fly. Sure, you can play with three dark knights, but where's the fun in that? Making things too easy isn’t fun, and you aren’t taking advantage of the diversity of jobs you have to handle. People who say it’s merely a “dress up” game really needs to take a long, hard look at it—it’s basically Final Fantasy V with an all-female cast. Each dressphere is a job and each job gives a different appearance to each character, like how all the jobs in FF5 gave a new appearance to a character, just in sprite form. We got an interesting set of jobs in Gun Mage, Gunner, Songstress, Festival-Goer, Psychic, Lady Luck, etc. So basically, instead of just 3 people in battle, you’re getting up to 17 or so jobs with each character, resulting in 680 possible combinations without repetition, 969 combinations with repetition, 4913 permutations with repetition, and 4080 permutations with repetition. I really liked tinkering with this system and seeing what I got out of it. Beat Trema without the Cat Nip tactic by using jobs that aren't ideal for the situation was fun.

Just… I love Final Fantasy X-2. I’ll defend it to the end.

Best soundtracks: Er, all of them? Even X-2’s. I think it’s extremely unfortunate that one of the composers for FFX-2 eventually left VGM composition partially because people hated the X-2 soundtrack. I thought the vocal albums and the International + LM album were really good, as well. The jazzy and lighthearted take in FFX-2’s soundtrack was quite refreshing, and it was a fun soundtrack overall. We also got pieces like Memories of Light and Waves, Besaid, Yuna’s Ballad, and The Farplane Abyss, so you can’t say the soundtrack was all bad even if you didn’t like it.

I could take hours to explain this, and you know I can based on other VGM threads. So I won’t. :lol But if I had to pick my favourite BGM from every FF, it’d be difficult. Like, I’m struggling right now. When I was a teenager, I made it a point to try to pick up as many FF soundtracks I could possibly find in shops/import because I liked the soundscapes so much.

This post does a good job of trying to pull up FF tunes I like but I wish I could fit more into that post! Haha.

I'm gonna post that in Gaming, if you think I should. :lol
No.

You know exactly how that thread's going to go and I'm tired of that shit. It's the same shit, different thread.

So far, as of 6:58, my main problem with this movie is its tonal dissonance.

Or more specifically, that it seems to take itself very, very, very seriously. More seriously than even the most serious Sonic games, I'd say. You have this CNN style report interviewing the president about what they're doing to stop Dr. Kin-tobor and Kin-tobor is releasing Bin-laden-style terrorist tapes and Doug Walker is about to get executed by E-102 Gamma

But then fuzzy CGI Sonic the Hedgehog shows up and goes "WAY PAST COOL!"

And the news reporter uses terms like "blue blur" and "buzz bombers" because those are things from the cartoon

And I can't handle it. I can't do it. I can't. It won't. There's no... nope.

FF4 is barely a pizza.

FF4 sucks.
The reason I called FF4 a pizza
is because it's a pizza shit.
did you make a thread because I can't check right now.

>:|

I'm half-serious, though. I'm tired of how most Sonic threads generally progress on Gaming Side; it gets irritating.

He so did.
Hater of Donkey Kong Country 2!

Ugh your hate for FF4 is even worse! Stop hating good things!

When FF4 starts being good, then I'LL stop hating it, at least.

qq more

You ranked Sonic CD with Sonic 06!

THAT'S IT! ALL OUT BRAWL IN SONICGAF!!! ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ) HRAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━━┻

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tell me where FF4 is remotely good because I can back myself up with my completed playthrough.

Yes yes, you hate the things I love, I hate the things you love...

Nono, I don't hate DKC. I don't think any of the games are that great. And I share AniHawk's opinion of DKCR.

I skipped through the fan film because i'm not devoting 18 odd minutes of my time to it, each brief section I viewed was pretty painful, Sonic's voice makes me want to throw tables with qq.

And yes I know whose voice it is but something just sounds off to me.
You know it's probably more just me finding the way Sonic looks so stupid it doesn't matter what voice he has, I can only hear despair.

Not really interested in watching the fan film but it's pretty cool that they got White for it. He seems like a cool dude based on the interview on the SatAM DVDs.

The best/worst part about this Sonic fan film is that not even a month ago its estimated run time was 45 minutes

Then yesterday before it went up I guess the producer said 25 minutes

Now the actual video on Youtube is only 18 minutes. Dude chopped out nearly 30 minutes of... what?

Kokonoe

Banned
Alternatively, just watch this fan film from beginning to end

That's all the punishment anyone needs

THEY KEEP SAYING "THE BLUE BLUR" IN A TOTALLY SERIOUS CONTEXT AND IT IS DRIVING ME UP A WALL

I noticed that as well, should have been "Blue Hedgehog" with the robots. My favorite part is Eggman getting a high off the emerald in his hand.

What do you guys think of the movie?

Reminded me of those 90s video game movies. I enjoyed it, it's the right kind of cheese.

The best/worst part about this Sonic fan film is that not even a month ago its estimated run time was 45 minutes

Then yesterday before it went up I guess the producer said 25 minutes

Now the actual video on Youtube is only 18 minutes. Dude chopped out nearly 30 minutes of... what?
30 minutes of serious business, maybe Sega obtained the cut footage for Sonic Adventure 3, oh my.

What do you guys think of the movie?

HrdLW.gif

RobbieNick

So far, as of 6:58, my main problem with this movie is its tonal dissonance.

Or more specifically, that it seems to take itself very, very, very seriously. More seriously than even the most serious Sonic games, I'd say. You have this CNN style report interviewing the president about what they're doing to stop Dr. Kin-tobor and Kin-tobor is releasing Bin-laden-style terrorist tapes and Doug Walker is about to get executed by E-102 Gamma

But then fuzzy CGI Sonic the Hedgehog shows up and goes "WAY PAST COOL!"

And the news reporter uses terms like "blue blur" and "buzz bombers" because those are things from the cartoon

And I can't handle it. I can't do it. I can't. It won't. There's no... nope.

Christopher Nolan's "Sonic the Hedgehog". XD

Waaaay too serious considering the source material. Also, that odd mouth of his....and he flirts with a human....again. XP

Dude's watched way too much SATAM for his own good. How come Sonic is the only one in this movie that doesn't take things so seriously? Everyone else is over dramatic.

Finally forced myself to finish watching it.

That definitely feels like the sort of thing that was probably 30 minutes longer and was heavily edited to emphasize "the impressive bits" while still maintaining some shred of narrative. It's especially obvious if you read the SAGE Q&A from a few months ago - he mentions things that are completely absent in the finished "film".

If I had to guess I'd say the movie probably focused on Robotnik's rise, the initial attack, and how that effected people in the city or whatever. Sonic's appearances would be fewer and farther between.

I'm not entirely sure that would've made for a better movie, though. I don't know. I guess Robotnik did feel a little under developed, though, as did the whole notion of an "islander". But maybe I don't want to know.

Noi

Barring any technical mishaps, I've got the stream ready to go.

I'll start it as soon as Schala joins Web 2.0 and makes a twitch account.

qq more

Everyone watching it should make an account

because i said sooo

and itll be funny to see everyone's reactions

also are we doing this soon? i was gonna wait until the weekends... but eh ill be down for today instead

RobbieNick

I will say that this was obviously a labor of love. It's too bad it just doesn't work well. Even Satam's Robotnik had a bit more levity than this actor showed. I'm just so sick of dark drama Sonic.

It's obvious much was cut. Where is Robotnik's rise to power? Why is robotnik hate South Islander's enough to destroy them? Also, they should have shown some of the South Island animals to get a sense of what they look like in comparison to Sonic.

- Needed better scoring. Generic dramatic soundtrack on full blast through the whole thing put me off.
- They should've allocated more of the budget towards sound effects, while they're at it. Leaping and spinning awkwardly through the air without a sound was weird to watch. Same goes for that motobug scene - just eh.
- The modeling on Sonic...ugh. Everything else was passable and not too offensive.
- The mood was inconsistent, which wasn't helped by the same generic music played throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom