• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay, so it's been a long time since I've heard the actual OST of Chronicles apart from Nocturne, so let's have a listen.

Central City

Agh...why is it that these are worse than most Gameboy music?

I mean, here is a random gameboy game you can listen to for a few seconds to judge.

http://youtu.be/rSVeAVj9DIY?t=2m

The bass part and the loud highpitched sounds hurt my ears on Central City.

Battle 3

It doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world at first, but what's with the WSOEJSGSOEJ static? So far the best song I've heard of the OST, but this is still kind of annoying to listen to.

Metropolis

The main issue with this OST is that they use and abuse that nasty sound. Really, this just sounds like someone making something along as they go.

qq more

For all we know, you're cursing up a storm in private.

I haven't

First death in Act 2 was just me giving a blank stare. Second death I was like "No no no NO NO NO!!!" Third death I was just silent in disbelief.

Finished Act 2 though, the top paths are really useful. Uh oh... boss time

YEAH!!!! GOOD BYE SKY CANYON!

Noi

I've been wondering that about myself, actually. I'm looking at some of the OT stuff and I'm... wondering how the heck could people post about some of this stuff.

This will probably be completely unsurprising, but LuuKyK is a constant star on that twitter account. Gets a laugh out of me every time.

You're not getting me to make a twitter account so easilyyyyyy!

I want Legend of Legaia on PSN so I can retire my disc. I love playing that game every summer, right next to Suikoden 1. It saved me from a summer of Beyond the Beyond. ;-;

Man, I wanna play it now, but I'll wait until the summer.

Curses, foiled again!

It and Brave Fencer Musashi not being on PSN make me sad. Musashi I can somewhat understand cause of all the voice acting, but Legaia is even a Sony-owned IP. :( Legend of Dragoon made it, so I can only hope Legaia can also make it.

Oooh, let me know when you do so! I'm due for a Legaia replay as well, and it's always fun to have someone to talk to about it~

qq more

I'm at Egg Utopia now. Techno Base wasn't too bad, but the boss was kind of annoying. Going to take a short break now because I'm so hungry, I didn't even eat lunch.

EDIT: Beat Egg Utopia! X Zone time...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Okay, so it's been a long time since I've heard the actual OST of Chronicles apart from Nocturne, so let's have a listen.

Central City
This is, imo, the worst BGM on the soundtrack. I hate the backing samples used for it, and the main samples and percussion samples are just terrible. They're very hard on the ears, and they aren't cohesive in the slightest. One thing stands out over the other quite often in this one and it isn't seamless at all.

That soundtrack is a complete mess.

This will probably be completely unsurprising, but LuuKyK is a constant star on that twitter account. Gets a laugh out of me every time.

Curses, foiled again!

It and Brave Fencer Musashi not being on PSN make me sad. Musashi I can somewhat understand cause of all the voice acting, but Legaia is even a Sony-owned IP. :( Legend of Dragoon made it, so I can only hope Legaia can also make it.

Oooh, let me know when you do so! I'm due for a Legaia replay as well, and it's always fun to have someone to talk to about it~
Yeah, if there's enough interest, I'll make a GAF Plays thread when it's summertime if anyone wants. I really wanted Sony to put it on PSN and make it Vita-compatible. :(

No, that revelation doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I'm not getting a Twitter account until I desperately need to get one, which I don't see happening. >.>

Starting up on 999 for the 8th time again; maybe this time I'll finally get past the first room. :p
You didn't like it? Or were the puzzles too difficult?

How are you supposed to beat GHZ on Generations in under a min? This is impossible.
The spindash in Generations is broken. Use it. You could also wait until you collect all of the red rings in Planet Wisp Act 1 so you can get Classic Sonic to have
access to the Homing Attack
to make getting up to higher platforms easier. Staying on the higher route, as usual, will make things go faster for you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fisticuffs in the Sonic thread? Well, I never...

No, I just never had enough free time to get really into it and end up restarting from the beginning every single time.
But you're going to end up restarting from the beginning every time you pursue the other endings including the true ending. :O

You've gotta get some free time to finish it. Or you could watch supergreatfriend's LP of it, whatever works.

But you're going to end up restarting from the beginning every time you pursue the other endings including the true ending. :O

You've gotta get some free time to finish it. Or you could watch supergreatfriend's LP of it, whatever works.

Out of the question. I have to do this on my own. If I can finish the Laytons, I can finish this game. :p

Nert

So long as they fight like gentlemen...

Mad-Men-boardroom-fist-fi-008.jpg

qq more

At Sky Canyon boss as Knuckles

something just occurred to me... What is exactly the point of playing as these characters (Cream aside) in these boss fights if their abilities are completely useless? You might as well pretend you're playing as Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dropping Ni no Kuni until reading week in mid-February.

Might dedicate next weekend to Alpha Protocol instead.

Out of the question. I have to do this on my own. If I can finish the Laytons, I can finish this game. :p
If it helps, it took me a while to get invested enough in the story to want to play through it multiple times. That sort of structure really hurts 999, and VLR at least does something better in that it allows the player to skip to multiple points in the narrative without going through the song and dance they've been through before.

Kokonoe

Banned
You know I actually kind of agree with you Schala, I notice you've started taking a stance against the use of 'hater', and for the longest time I refused to use the word 'hate' at all because I felt it symbolized something deeper and that everyone is just merely stating their own opinion. Eventually as time went on here on GAF, I ended up accepting it and started using 'hate' as jokes or whichever, a word I refused to use at first.

I also got called a hater quite a bit as well, and I recall the last time I think it happened was when I said I didn't like the Rival music in Pokemon BW1 for sounding like route music and not battle music. I didn't really care for that myself.

Noi

Started Jak II. This game is awful.

Might dedicate next weekend to Alpha Protocol instead.

Oooh, enjoy this! It can be a bit rough (but what Obsidian game isn't?), but it's probably one of the better games of 2010. One of the very few games that actually makes me feel like a spy.

qq more

I'm okay with the word "hater" in jokey contexts but in serious context it's obnoxious. I hate it even moreso because of a certain IRC chat full of fanboys that LOVES using that word. ugh.

I also got called a hater quite a bit as well, and I recall the last time I think it happened was when I said I didn't like the Rival music in Pokemon BW1 for sounding like route music and not battle music. I didn't really care for that myself.

Seriously?! :lol

It's the LEAST fitting battle theme I have ever heard in any game! I mean I like the song because it's kind of funny sounding but... it really really does not fit at all. I guess people would love the heck out of everything from B/W.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jak II is worse than sitting on one of your balls
Ouch. Even I'm cringing. >_<

Oooh, enjoy this! It can be a bit rough (but what Obsidian game isn't?), but it's probably one of the better games of 2010. One of the very few games that actually makes me feel like a spy.
Yeah, a lot of people said a lot of good things about it in the RPG Essentials thread so I figured I'd toss it to the top of my backlog pile and finish it. I suspect the platinum isn't that hard?

I bought the Mass Effect collection because of that thread as well. Dunno when I'm going to start that.

You know I actually kind of agree with you Schala, I notice you've started taking a stance against the use of 'hater', and for the longest time I refused to use the word 'hate' at all because I felt it symbolized something deeper and that everyone is just merely stating their own opinion. Eventually as time went on here on GAF, I ended up accepting it and started using 'hate' as jokes or whichever, a word I refused to use at first.

That's partially why I'm sick of it being thrown around in multiple threads, especially the LR thread. These threads get so big because no one hates what they're attached to; they just don't like the direction that the series/games are going in. Hate's rather strong and deep, and you can't just throw "hater" around at people who simply disagree with your stance, rather than hate what you're talking about because they don't show that they hate your stance. It almost demonstrative of closed-mindedness and having your head stuck in the sand, and I wish people would stop using it in a serious context. I'm very tired of it being thrown around in LR threads, for instance, like it's nothing.

But the rival battle in BW1 isn't the best rival theme at all...

qq more

IRC chats always turn into fuckin' circlejerks, so any dissenting opinion are just "lol haters lulz"

#SonicGAF doesn't turn into those thankfully... at least I don't think so that's an exception!

Also I just hit a boostpad and got crushed by a crushing block out of nowhere. Thanks Dimps...

Noi

Like seriously, who thought turning Jak into a shitty GTA clone was a good idea. Not to mention how slow Jak's movement's speed is, it makes getting to place such an incredible chore.

Yeah, a lot of people said a lot of good things about it in the RPG Essentials thread so I figured I'd toss it to the top of my backlog pile and finish it. I suspect the platinum isn't that hard?

I bought the Mass Effect collection because of that thread as well. Dunno when I'm going to start that.

Plat requires a minimum of 2 playthroughs, but unless you literally stick your nose into a guide for all of it, 3+ are more likely. This is gonna sound like gibberish now, but you'll see what I mean when you start the game: When picking an initial starting "job", pick recruit. It'll start with no bonus points like the others, but when you beat the game with it, it'll allow you to start as a Veteran instead, which makes subsequent runs much easier cause it starts with all the bonus skills and extra dialogue choices in-game.

Other than though, the plat is fairly simple. Plus it's one of the few games that has achievements unlock in-game bonuses as well. :D

I'll.. only say that Mass Effect 1 is a good game. I refrain from commenting on ME2 and ME3.

Glad to know I'm not the only person that's been on the "Playing games of questionable quality" train as of late, since I recently borrowed this from a friend earlier this weekend.

What a weird direction for that game to go in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm glad you understand our pain! :lol

Although you'll never truly understand. No, not even childbirth.
I dunno. I read one OT thread where some of the female GAF members were talking about tearing, which makes me never want to give birth that way if I do decide to have kids one day.

Regardless, from a medical standpoint, that'd be like putting tons of pressure on my ovaries because they're analogous to that body part.

So, a guy from SmashGAF showed me this GreaseMonkey script.

Music list threads will become 20% less infuriating.
Gawwww, you go through all the effort to find a link for the music thread and you don't even post the name of it or the game it came from.

At least guess the screenshot became its own thread. :p

#SonicGAF doesn't turn into those thankfully... at least I don't think so that's an exception!
Caught your edit, and no, not in this context.

Plat requires a minimum of 2 playthroughs, but unless you literally stick your nose into a guide for all of it, 3+ are more likely. This is gonna sound like gibberish now, but you'll see what I mean when you start the game: When picking an initial starting "job", pick recruit. It'll start with no bonus points like the others, but when you beat the game with it, it'll allow you to start as a Veteran instead, which makes subsequent runs much easier cause it starts with all the bonus skills and extra dialogue choices in-game.

Other than though, the plat is fairly simple. Plus it's one of the few games that has achievements unlock in-game bonuses as well. :D

I'll.. only say that Mass Effect 1 is a good game. I refrain from commenting on ME2 and ME3.
I think ME1 is going to be more of my type of game as well, based on what other people have told me. I don't know if 2 or 3 are going to be my thing.

I wish more trophies/achievements would do that: unlock in-game bonuses. It doesn't make them hollow rewards, but things that the developer puts in place for people to keep pursuing to make the game a better experience for them. It's better than having trophies unlock XMB themes. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.

since I recently borrowed this from a friend earlier this weekend.
l8xdY.jpg

I dunno. I read one OT thread where some of the female GAF members were talking about tearing, which makes me never want to give birth that way if I do decide to have kids one day.

Regardless, from a medical standpoint, that'd be like putting tons of pressure on my ovaries because they're analogous to that body part.

I was joking. :p It's like a thing that men have to exaggerate any pain inflicted to the groin as being greater than childbirth. It's dumb.

I think learning there's something called "tearing" involved in that process has ruined my day. *shivers*

Sciz

It's the LEAST fitting battle theme I have ever heard in any game! I mean I like the song because it's kind of funny sounding but... it really really does not fit at all. I guess people would love the heck out of everything from B/W.

Black & White's battle themes are pretty iffy in general, outside of N being a total boss.

I wish I had that animated gif on hand.

I am so glad I was never as emotionally invested in this franchise as other people in the world have been.

Yeah, some NiGHTS fans are a little, uh... dedicated. I remember a hearing something about one fan threatening to burn their entire collection of merchandise if NiGHTS didn't get into the first Sega racer in some form.

I've always enjoyed the first game for it's pleasant atmosphere and it's arcade like feel. That's about it.

We're actually coming up to the end of the thread soon. If people want to start coming up with funny subtitles, then I won't complain. I was already thinking of something like

Community |OT2 Battle|

OMG Aero

I could see you making the case for it not being fitting for Cheren but I'd say the rival theme is totally fitting for Bianca.
We're actually coming up to the end of the thread soon. If people want to start coming up with funny subtitles, then I won't complain. I was already thinking of something like

Community |OT2 Battle|
There's still like 4000 posts to go.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm okay with the word "hater" in jokey contexts but in serious context it's obnoxious. I hate it even moreso because of a certain IRC chat full of fanboys that LOVES using that word. ugh.

Yep, I've gotten a lot of flack for BW or praising every gen besides that one, but if I were to link my posts you could see they were just merely opinions. And the thing is, about 90-95% of it is when people asked me what my opinion was on that subject.

As a song itself it isn't too bad or anything, it's just...this is a Rival Battle

they went from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1a-piSoOv8

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxaHT8HTD9c

I just...can't stand it.

That's partially why I'm sick of it being thrown around in multiple threads, especially the LR thread. These threads get so big because no one hates what they're attached to; they just don't like the direction that the series/games are going in. Hate's rather strong and deep, and you can't just throw "hater" around at people who simply disagree with your stance, rather than hate what you're talking about because they don't show that they hate your stance. It almost demonstrative of closed-mindedness and having your head stuck in the sand, and I wish people would stop using it in a serious context. I'm very tired of it being thrown around in LR threads, for instance, like it's nothing.

But the rival battle in BW1 isn't the best rival theme at all...

What I dislike the most is when people try to make you feel like you're wrong and what they are saying is a fact, but it's when it becomes gang mentality to group up is where it gets quite annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom