• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Go play Colours if you haven't. Given that it uses the Unleashed/Generations formula, you might dig it.

do you guys want me to grade these threads
thread a (sorta like how Koko tried to handle it by posting a pic of fighting Red, for example, because I completely understand the gravity of that situation to make the theme memorable)
thread b (I like seven posts in that thread, if it means anything)

A part of me wants to lose just to see the creative touch you speak of. I'm too curious! But I'm strong enough to do this challenge! I CAN DO IT!
You're going to forget all about it on Thursday or Friday and we'll have a laugh at your expense.

I actually laughed out loud at the emulation of Sonic 1 in Generations. That has got to be the worst port since the GBA version. The sound is whack. But it gives a good feeling to know it's in there since its the anniversary game ... I have a Genesis cart anyway.
They ruined Spring Yard Zone in the GBA version, which is unforgivable.

This is something you needed reminding of? I thought this would be imprinted on your mind when that crazy Final Fantasy defender with the Lightning avatar who offered to make people avatars of their "favourite parts of Lightning's body" showed up.
I figured I'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt? I did give him a small talking-to yesterday, but I doubt it's going to significantly change anything. There are several other posters in those threads that I find incredibly irksome. FF threads are now going to end up turning out to be the same shit, different thread so I might as well get used to the idea that the threads aren't going to be for me anymore.

This sounds so awesome compared to how it sounds on the DS.

Radiant Historia Battle Theme
Yeah, I actually like RH's music for the most part, and I don't even like Yoko Shimomura's work after Legend of Mana at all. RH and Last Ranker have been her best soundtracks lately.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wow that sounds better than most DS games.

Yeah, the OST to this game is so good. I just plugged in my headphones into my DSi XL and it sounded a lot better.

Yeah, I actually like RH's music for the most part, and I don't even like Yoko Shimomura's work after Legend of Mana at all. RH and Last Ranker have been her best soundtracks lately.

Yoko Shimomora? I guess I'll have to look to her up to see what all she's done.

-edit-

She did Superstar Saga! She rules!

thread a

I swear we've had both these threads like twice in the last 3 months let alone these new ones, think of something new Gaf!
Like best cave themes, explain why you enjoy these dark dank themes? do they make you feel claustrophobic? does mystic cave sound like Scooby Doo in a carnival?

PC version doesn't have Sonic 1 in it, so I couldn't say how good or bad the emulation is. Not like I don't already own a cartridge copy, Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection+ on the Xbox, etc...

Noi

Go play Colours if you haven't. Given that it uses the Unleashed/Generations formula, you might dig it.

thread a

Plz forgive the guy who made thread A, he has a crippling disability that prevents him from ever typing more than 5 words in a post.

I figured I'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt? I did give him a small talking-to yesterday, but I doubt it's going to significantly change anything. There are several other posters in those threads that I find incredibly irksome. FF threads are now going to end up turning out to be the same shit, different thread so I might as well get used to the idea that the threads aren't going to be for me anymore.

It's been getting even more obnoxious as of late. Especially with that Narolf guy or whatever he's called and his "plan" or some shit that has an unhealthy obsession with an unreleased game.

I never thought it would happen, but people on GAF are actively making me dislike the XIII games more than I did when I played them. It's ridiculous.

I liked that "most peaceful-sounding music" that was posted a few months back. Got to pimp Panzer Dragoon Saga's "Rest" and Magic Knight Rayearth's "The Magic Curtains of Polizu". Seriously, between the strings and the awesome guitar work, it'd be enough to calm pretty much anyone.

"After the Dream" from NiGHTS Into Dreams..., too. No guitars, and only synth strings, but all those percussion synths and dat reverb create a very dreamy song (the intent, of course).

qq more

Darn it, this motivates me to not be as lazy.

You should, and surprisingly, it hasn't aged.

I played it before and thought it was funny and great. Plus one of the stats is STACHE. How awesome is that?! Unfortunately I never owned a copy so I was only borrowing my brother's copy... and I have the tendency to never complete any borrowed games. But I ended up buying a complete in box copy of my own last year and I now own that amazing backlit GBASP!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
See, I really like Shadow Hog's post right there. Not too descriptive, but goes into some detail into how he likes it. That's perfectly fine.

I swear we've had both these threads like twice in the last 3 months let alone these new ones, think of something new Gaf!
Like best cave themes, explain why you enjoy these dark dank themes? do they make you feel claustrophobic? does mystic cave sound like Scooby Doo in a carnival?
I've seen those threads tons of times in my two years on GAF and it got to the point where I said to myself, "Why don't I just keep quoting what I'd said last time?" But bumping an old thread seems to be generally frowned upon, even though in these cases, it completely makes sense to do so.

And hey! I'd accept that Mystic Cave answer on the basis of making me laugh.

PC version doesn't have Sonic 1 in it, so I couldn't say how good or bad the emulation is. Not like I don't already own a cartridge copy, Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection+ on the Xbox, etc...
It doesn't? I had no idea. Is there a reason why they removed it, or did it seem like a last-minute addition for the console version of Generations?

No! I will win this!
Well, we'll be checking every day. ;)

Plz forgive the guy who made thread A, he has a crippling disability that prevents him from ever typing more than 5 words in a post.
But... :|

It's been getting even more obnoxious as of late. Especially with that Narolf guy or whatever he's called and his "plan" or some shit that has an unhealthy obsession with an unreleased game.

I never thought it would happen, but people on GAF are actively making me dislike the XIII games more than I did when I played them. It's ridiculous.
I don't really understand him either. No matter how much I tried to dissect some of the fanfic posts, I just... don't get it! Why are FF13 threads all about fanfiction now? It's kind of creepy. It's hard to read through the thread for new stuff because you have to go through some of this shit to get there.

I feel the same way; I give less craps about the FF13 games than I did before just because of those threads alone. And this is coming from someone who fell asleep while playing FF13 once.

Yoko Shimomora? I guess I'll have to look to her up to see what all she's done.
She composed Guile's Theme, Legend of Mana, and did Parasite Eve. Those alone make up for all of the Kingdom Hearts soundtracks she did.

Kokonoe

Banned
Superstar Saga was one of my favorites on the GBA. Never beat the final boss, though...

You know what's funny? My first time playing the game was playing the last boss, someone handed me it to play it because they couldn't beat it or something and I did it right there oddly enough. I played the game about a year or two later, at the time I really had no idea what I was doing when fighting the last boss so it really didn't spoil anything for me, well much.

Noi

It's... Loudninja. There are some people who one will never be able to fix, no matter how much you try. I have a history with the guy thanks to Sony Smash bros. ._.

A pity, that thread, since I love Legaia but he does such a terrible job at setting up discussion.

I don't really understand him either. No matter how much I tried to dissect some of the fanfic posts, I just... don't get it! Why are FF13 threads all about fanfiction now? It's kind of creepy. It's hard to read through the thread for new stuff because you have to go through some of this shit to get there.

I feel the same way; I give less craps about the FF13 games than I did before just because of those threads alone. And this is coming from someone who fell asleep while playing FF13 once.

It's almost routine at this point. I go to click on an FF thread, see that the latest post is from Perfo, Shinta, etc, and I just groan and avoid peeking in altogether.

We should start a "Fell Asleep during XIII" club. I'd be member #2!

If a SA3 was made and it had chao gardens they really need to somehow set it up for co-op stuff, been playing a lot of SA2 HD and I forgot how good the chao stuff is once you get into it, letting the little chao plant trees and play with toys, leveling them up and so forth. It begs for multiplayer too.

Hey guys I think I should finish Advance 2 already

fuck no, burn it along with advance 3

BlackJace

Hey guys I think I should finish Advance 2 already

Do it, but do yourself a favor and ignore getting the emeralds. Went mad collecting all seven, but luckily the SS fight was actually pretty decent.
You know what's funny? My first time playing the game was playing the last boss, someone handed me it to play it because they couldn't beat it or something and I did it right there oddly enough. I played the game about a year or two later, at the time I really had no idea what I was doing when fighting the last boss so it really didn't spoil anything for me, well much.

Cracketa's Soul? Kicked my butt every time. I used to hate having to go back and grind after an encounter proved too difficult, so I just put the game down.

qq more

fuck no, burn it along with advance 3
But I promised I'd finish Advance 2 up to Super Sonic!

Do it, but do yourself a favor and ignore getting the emeralds. Went mad collecting all seven, but luckily the SS fight was actually pretty decent.

I already used a cheat device to get all 7 special rings at the start of every stage as Sonic. So it's okay, I already got those dumb emeralds. The special stage was pretty fun at least.

Anyways, starting the game as Tails. Leaf Forest is kind of bland... but not terrible. The music is pretty nice. Yep.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are you going to play Advance 2 and swear a lot? :p

Start a twitter account where you grade NeoGAF threads. It'd be like https://twitter.com/NeoGAFShitPosts but with scores.
Wait, this is a thing?

Hahahaha, oh wow. This twitter account just keeps giving.

Once they figure out who's running the account, Schala would be banned.
I probably would. That thing we talked about elsewhere would likely be rescinded as well.

It's... Loudninja. There are some people who one will never be able to fix, no matter how much you try. I have a history with the guy thanks to Sony Smash bros. ._.

A pity, that thread, since I love Legaia but he does such a terrible job at setting up discussion.
Maybe he needs to get going so he just posts his thoughts really fast because he's in the mindset where he's gotta go fast.

Legend of Legaia is one of my favourite games ever. It may be jank in some places, the character design ain't that great, and the pacing kind of falls off at one place, but I love the music, I love the combat system, and dammit, I like the creature capture/use system sometimes (especially since the majority of them are incredibly useful and they get colour swaps when you continue to grow them). And I like fishing.

More games need fishing minigames.

It's almost routine at this point. I go to click on an FF thread, see that the latest post is from Perfo, Shinta, etc, and I just groan and avoid peeking in altogether.

We should start a "Fell Asleep during XIII" club. I'd be member #2!
I doubt we'd be the only members in that club.

And a lot of people feel similarly towards a few of those posters. I guess they feel the same in that they're tired of these threads turning into a battleground for the most part.

GAMERG0D said:
The original?
Yep! She'd originally worked for Capcom before joining Squaresoft.

qq more

Just as you long as you play it and take the punishment like a man. Can you?

Not swearing without playing bad games is TOO easy. I need to make this challenge worthwhile.

At Hot Crater now. Act 1 is the very definition of hold right to win. But man that music is awesome.

:lol What the heck, Tails was running so fast he flew over a steep slope!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not swearing without playing bad games is TOO easy. I need to make this challenge worthwhile.

At Hot Crater now. Act 1 is the very definition of hold right to win. But man that music is awesome.

:lol What the heck, Tails was running so fast he flew over a steep slope!
This is going to be fun.

I have every Sonic game on XBLA

>_>

I should really get Sonic Chronicles...
Do you want to read my LTTP thread about it where I think I went a little too easy on the game?

qq more

Hot Crator boss gave me some trouble. The worst I said was "OH" when I died. So far so good. The challenge, not the game

oh wait Music Plant! Yay!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hot Crator boss gave me some trouble. The worst I said was "OH" when I died. So far so good. The challenge, not the game

oh wait Music Plant! Yay!
Don't lie, son.

Ah yes, that was the post that got me riled up the other day. Absolutely infuriating.
It's funny because a lot of adults love Nintendo. Not just talking people in our age group, but a lot of older adults because Nintendo caters to them somehow as well.

Heck, when I started university, and I used to bring my DS to intro calculus and intro chem, there were a few guys who were so psyched to see me playing a game (which struck me as odd, but whatever). Even more psyched to see me playing NSMB or Super Princess Peach. It was cool to like Nintendo, and I felt like Nintendo did a lot of goodwill with the Wii in general. It was marketed towards everyone, so it never gave off this perception of being only for children or being for a certain gender. Everyone played it because, y'know, they had fun with it, or it was dedicated to rehabilitation or caring for the elderly. Who cares what other people think of you based on what you play?

That post screams "insecurity". If you're going to post that, I've gotta ask you if you've been living under a rock for 6 years.

A man plays Xbox or PlayStation or PC or he doesn't play at all
I don't have enough laughing smilies for this bit.

Noi

Wait, this is a thing?

Hahahaha, oh wow. This twitter account just keeps giving.

Make a twitter account so you can follow this and many other people!

Legend of Legaia is one of my favourite games ever. It may be jank in some places, the character design ain't that great, and the pacing kind of falls off at one place, but I love the music, I love the combat system, and dammit, I like the creature capture/use system sometimes (especially since the majority of them are incredibly useful and they get colour swaps when you continue to grow them). And I like fishing.

More games need fishing minigames.

You're one of my favorite GAF people for a reason. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is the music really that bad?
Now you've released the Kraken. :(

The music links in my post should work still. I hope. Click on them and see if they're good/bad to you. Because they're arrangements of various Sonic themes. And they're terrible.

That Twitter account will ruin me. So addictive. I must know if I've ever been on it.
I've been wondering that about myself, actually. I'm looking at some of the OT stuff and I'm... wondering how the heck could people post about some of this stuff.

Make a twitter account so you can follow this and many other people!

You're one of my favorite GAF people for a reason. :D
You're not getting me to make a twitter account so easilyyyyyy!

I want Legend of Legaia on PSN so I can retire my disc. I love playing that game every summer, right next to Suikoden 1. It saved me from a summer of Beyond the Beyond. ;-;

Man, I wanna play it now, but I'll wait until the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom