• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I step away for a mere half a day and miss everything discussion worthy, jeeeeeeeeez.
No use really bringing back up old points now but for lists sake here's my top 5 of this generation because I can't decide on the last 5 this second.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Valkyria Chronicles
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Whoopee!

not frowny enough

1/10 for effort

smw2_gargantuablargg3nj4d.png

Gameboy Advance version.

sXRsWSl.png

Yoshi voice ruined yoshi for me forever

That's your fault for still watching the Royal Rumble when you knew it was gonna be Same Ol' Shit

Oh so that's what you think I did? well i'll have you know that you're....right, I finally cried myself to sleep at 4:30am lamenting the loss of my £15 while Cena and Bo Dallas haunted my nightmares.

At least I got some poor sap to suffer with me, I bet this is how Gerald Robotnik felt after Maria was brutally murdered, this is like the same feeling i'm sure!

qq more

so I take it I am the only one with no problems with the GBA version

although what was up with the barely visible garbled tiles during screen transitions?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
although what was up with the barely visible garbled tiles during screen transitions?
You probably are.

I cannot play that version of the game at all. Garbled sound, giving Yoshi a voice, etc. Blech.

That's your fault for still watching the Royal Rumble when you knew it was gonna be Same Ol' Shit
I heard someone succumbed to the People's Elbow and didn't even sell the damn thing.

qq more

Yoshi Story voice? I'll have to play the GBA version now, that stuff is pure awesome.
And here I was starting to think I'm the only one who actually likes the voice.

By the way, the GBA version also has post-game levels if you're also looking for new content. They're reallllyyy tough though, I should give them another try someday.

EDIT: This thread should of have been called Mario & Sonic at the Community Forums, just sayin'.

They love adding superfluous sound effects to their classics. All those new Mario sounds in SMB3, the constant Link grunting every time he swings his sword in LttP....ifs like the Star Wars special editions or some shit

qq more

They love adding superfluous sound effects to their classics. All those new Mario sounds in SMB3, the constant Link grunting every time he swings his sword in LttP....ifs like the Star Wars special editions or some shit

Yeah, that was really annoying in those other games. But for some reason I didn't mind it much in Yoshi's Island. It wasn't exactly distracting since Yoshi already had a "voice" (a different one, yeah) in the SNES version anyways.

Also, was it me or do certain developers loooove using special effects on sprites such as scaling and rotation? At least early in the GBA's life. :lol

Noi

Got past incredibly shitty "mission" in Jak II. Death is common, forces you to restart at the beginning every time. Ok, no biggie. Reach the end, watch cutscene, get prompted to go back to the main hub. I kill myself so that I would respawn back at the beginning... only they put a checkpoint right at the end of the mission so I have to go through the whole "level" again but in reverse to get back to the city.

Excuse me while I go let out some muffled yells on my pillow.

I don't understand why people playing Jak 2 is a semi frequent event in this thread, it manages to be worse than John Cena, that's how bad it is.

I bought the HD collection of my own accord! I'll tell you what, after finishing Jak & Daxter, I was fucking pumped to get into 2, and uugggggggghhhhh. Since finishing that I haven't even considered playing 3. Well, I have a little, but then I go "fuck no".

qq more

I'm glad I don't have much bad games to go through-*sees Sonic 06* Uh oh

Oh wait... Glad I can't play it until that event with a friend! I'M BAD GAMES FREE NOW! HA HA HA

Kokonoe

Banned
And here I was starting to think I'm the only one who actually likes the voice.

By the way, the GBA version also has post-game levels if you're also looking for new content. They're reallllyyy tough though, I should give them another try someday.

EDIT: This thread should of have been called Mario & Sonic at the Community Forums, just sayin'.

I mean listen to that voice.

http://youtu.be/3WVjnG5cE7w?t=1m6s

I'm surprised how much it fits compared to the Mario ones.

qq more

I mean listen to that voice.

http://youtu.be/3WVjnG5cE7w?t=1m6s

I'm surprised how much it fits compared to the Mario ones.

I always find his double jump voice clip funny.

Yeesh at the downgraded audio otherwise, I always forget how weak the music sounded compare to the SNES version. Dunno if I can blame the port or the hardware.

Is there a difference besides the voice? I haven't played Yoshi's Island as much of you guys have.

Audio aside, the resolution is smaller (but it doesn't hurt the gameplay much, I wonder if some things were changed to go with that difference), 6 new levels... uh, I guess the palette is a little different? It's a good port, just not as good as the original version. It gets toooo much hate. Besides, it's Yoshi's Island on the go! The compromises aren't that big of a deal.

Kokonoe

Banned
I always find his double jump voice clip funny.

Yeesh at the downgraded audio otherwise, I always forget how weak the music sounded compare to the SNES version. Dunno if I can blame the port or the hardware.

The music is still crummy but wow his voice comes in good!

If it's the audio, it's the hardware. All the other SNES ports to GBA have lousy music by comparison, especially Zelda.

Audio aside, the resolution is smaller (but it doesn't hurt the gameplay much, I wonder if some things were changed to go with that difference), 6 new levels... uh, I guess the palette is a little different? It's a good port, just not as good as the original version. It gets toooo much hate. Besides, it's Yoshi's Island on the go! The compromises aren't that big of a deal.

Yeah, it does look like a good port for GBA, honestly I think I'd rather play this one. I mean it may not have the audio quality, but the nice little Yoshi Story nostalgia + the bonus levels and it being portable is better for me as I like to portable game.

Also, yeah the whining double jump is hilarious I agree.

Adding in all those unnecessary voices is bad enough, but the music playing in the background is awful. Just compare the start of the Flower Garden theme in that video with the SNES version, right from the start you can tell that the GBA version is off by a ton. I don't even want to hear what they did to the rest of the music.

Not the worst thing in the world, it sounds nice for GBA just not by comparison. And I personally find that voice to be delicious.

Noi

Is there a difference besides the voice? I haven't played Yoshi's Island as much of you guys have.

Adding in all those unnecessary voices is bad enough, but the music playing in the background is awful. Just compare the start of the Flower Garden theme in that video with the SNES version, right from the start you can tell that the GBA version is off by a ton. I don't even want to hear what they did to the rest of the music.

GBA remakes always butcher the music though don't they?

I recall FFV and FFVI advance slaughtering the soundtracks of their respective games.

Well, maybe slaughter is the wrong word, but still shit was bad man.

And maybe it was just because I played it on DS and I don't know what that does...but GBA framerate goes RIGHT to shit whenever you burst open a star cloud and they all start hopping around

Noi

GBA remakes always butcher the music though don't they?

I recall FFV and FFVI advance slaughtering the soundtracks of their respective games.

Well, maybe slaughter is the wrong word, but still shit was bad man.

Maybe, but I didn't think the FFV SNES to FFV GBA conversion was that drastic. The first thing I noticed when hitting that video for Yoshi's Island is how off everything sounded, from the music to the sound effects done by the environmental stuff. It's too much to ignore for me.

TheOGB

Banned
Yoshi voice is nostalgic as hell because of Smah Bros. 64.

I always sucked at SNES platformers. SMW, Yoshi, DK, all that. Except Kirby.

I feel like i've been waiting forever for a VC release of Yoshi's Island, aside from one bout of hop hop donut lifts i've only ever played the GBA version.
Going by other GBA ports and their inferiority to their original counterparts i'm thinking i'd like the game a bit more with the SNES version.
To the GBA versions credit it did have those extra stages.

qq more

For what it's worth, if I was stuck inside a game like that... that thought wouldn't ever be too far away.

Good point... good point....................................

Also, been playing Sonic Advance 3 on and off today. I got all but 1 Chao in Route 99. It's the last one in Act 2 and I have no idea where it is. Hmmm...

EDIT: Nevermind. I accidentally fell off a rail and fell on one. Now to get a key.

Anth0ny

I was actually okay with all the weird voice changes in the GBA ports of SNES classics. Link and Yoshi's new voice was fun, I thought.

The music being forced out of the GBA was a damn shame, though. SNES versions are superior for that reason alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom