• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I'm playing Sonic & Knuckles with an SNES controller, it's so wrong but feels so right.

Was that also the controller you used for my game?

GASP

The game is becoming self-aware... or at least the NPCs!

tumblr_mgtrgwYjEw1rmxwo7o1_500.jpg
what on earth hahahaha What is the story of this?

GBA remakes always butcher the music though don't they?

I recall FFV and FFVI advance slaughtering the soundtracks of their respective games.

Well, maybe slaughter is the wrong word, but still shit was bad man.

I actually consider FFV Advance's OST conversion an improvement. IV and VI Advance got the short end of the stick though, yeah.

I forgot how good these Super Metroid Sega Genesis remixes were. I almost wish this were a homebrew Genesis game - perhaps not porting the world of the SNES game 100% (I'd be absolutely astounded if the Genesis could pull off something like the X-Ray Visor, honestly), but something very similar to it.

FM synth gets a bad rap on NeoGAF and I can never figure out why. I mean, yeah, when it's done bad, it's pretty bad, but when it's done well, it's absolutely astounding. I suppose we'd all know, because, y'know, Sonic has absolutely amazing FM music, but still...

Oh, and Prime update: got Super Missiles and Thermal Visor, yay

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You think people hate FM synth on GAF? You'd be surprised with how many people like it throughout the forum!

I love the PC-88 soundtracks for Etrian Odyssey a lot, and I love the FM Synth versions of the Ys music far more than the Oath in Felghana music, for example.

qq more said:
what on earth hahahaha What is the story of this?
It looks like a Sonic the Comic creation. UK SonicGAF should probably explain.

Sega1991 said:
Looks like this tumblr has caught the "partner characters just appear and immediately die" bug in Sonic 06
Ah, so they're fulfilling the wishes of some fans who wish character introductions stopped after Tails and Knuckles.

Though Tails and Knuckles are dead in this. Hmmm.

qq more

FM synth gets a bad rap on NeoGAF and I can never figure out why. I mean, yeah, when it's done bad, it's pretty bad, but when it's done well, it's absolutely astounding. I suppose we'd all know, because, y'know, Sonic has absolutely amazing FM music, but still...

The other day someone posted some chiptune trying to pass off as SNES style music (it was really just a poorly done NES-like chiptune with modern drum samples and whatnot) and someone said it sounded like "the (censored) genesis sound chip" :/

EDIT: Quoting swearing should be okay in context right? MAKING SURE because it wasn't my word

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: Quoting swearing should be okay in context right? MAKING SURE because it wasn't my word
I want to be mean and say that it's not okay because it kind of acts as an outlet. You have to say *beep*, [redacted], (censored), etc.

If you can't tell, I'm have a little fun with this.

You think people hate FM synth on GAF? You'd be surprised with how many people like it throughout the forum!
Yeah, it comes up surprisingly often. I get that the SNES APU is a helluva lot better at general purpose music (listen to Plok!'s soundtrack, for instance, that's amazing), but some people extrapolate this to "the Genesis soundchip is utter shit".

Not naming names because I actually don't have specific examples on hand - although I saw the one qq more cited, where the guy said some not-NES music sounded like "the Genesis's shitty sound chip". Heads have not been shaken harder.

Noi

I will personally make it my mission in life to hunt down and end the life of whoever at Naughty Dog designed these race levels.

Then I will hunt down and end the life of the designer who started the trend of racing minigames in platformers.

Noi

Three subsequent discoveries in the racing levels for Jak II:

1. Enemies are rubberbanding hard.

2. Your vehicles actually takes damage and slows down as you bump into walls. This would normally be completely awful but...

3. Enemy racers are literally scaled to your car's speed. I'd crashed my vehicle enough that it was on fire and only moved at 1/4 of it's normal speed (meaning I could actually use turbo boosts without crashing into a wall), and every other racer slowed down to match my speed.

This game is so magical, you guys.

Heropon

I will personally make it my mission in life to hunt down and end the life of whoever at Naughty Dog designed these race levels.

Then I will hunt down and end the life of the designer who started the trend of racing minigames in platformers.

I really hated the motorcycle levels in Crash Bandicoot 3. Oh, surprise, that game was also made by Naughty Dog!

I finally beat Radical Highway in Generations but the next level has annoying underwater segments and I'm stuck in the "Modern" act and its pitfalls (Censored).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, it comes up surprisingly often. I get that the SNES APU is a helluva lot better at general purpose music (listen to Plok!'s soundtrack, for instance, that's amazing), but some people extrapolate this to "the Genesis soundchip is utter shit".

Not naming names because I actually don't have specific examples on hand - although I saw the one qq more cited, where the guy said some not-NES music sounded like "the Genesis's shitty sound chip". Heads have not been shaken harder.
Ya gotta look harder. Some people were straight-up pissed that EO4 didn't have a soundtrack toggle for FM synth (well, I wasn't mad, but moreso disappointed).

Where is this post you guys are talking about?

The sound didn't even start with the YM 2612. It started way back. So Gyruss and Marble Madness are pretty good examples of that. Atari seemed to like using it in the arcades. PC-8801 computers had multiple Yamaha chips for FM channels. The PCE had one channel dedicated to FM synth (Dungeon Explorer). If you want to know who could make any YM chip sing, look no further than the man I worship: Yuzo Koshiro (PC-98).

So of course, I could never hate FM synth music. Ever. There's too much history behind it.

GAMERG0D

I forgot how good these Super Metroid Sega Genesis remixes were. I almost wish this were a homebrew Genesis game - perhaps not porting the world of the SNES game 100% (I'd be absolutely astounded if the Genesis could pull off something like the X-Ray Visor, honestly), but something very similar to it.

I love that video.

Noi

I'm generally not a fan of FM-Synth, but I don't hate it. I can appreciate a good tune!

I really hated the motorcycle levels in Crash Bandicoot 3. Oh, surprise, that game was also made by Naughty Dog!

I finally beat Radical Highway in Generations but the next level has annoying underwater segments and I'm stuck in the "Modern" act and its pitfalls (Censored).

they forgot what level design was like while they were trying to craft a gritty narrative.

It blows my mind that this is the same dev that made Crash Team Racing. How did it come to this

Those racing levels ;_;

Guys, it is never OK to make a game with any sort of hovering transport. ...Except for the hoverbike in Simpsons Hit and Run, but that's it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kokonoe, good LTTP thread on Gaming Side. That's the kinda stuff I like to see. I'm really happy to see you enjoy Radiant Historia as well. I had a friend who called Stocke the "Solid Snake" of modern RPGs, just because I'd briefly said that he wasn't necessarily a character who grew, but rather the player was discovering various layers to his character throughout the game which appreciated a lot. I'm also glad to see you enjoying the battle system.

Now you've got me wondering what my favourite RPG of the generation is. Maybe Sora no Kiseki The 3rd, but I'm only going to say that because it was the last RPG I finished off.
KuGsj.gif

What RPGs have I even played this gen? *thinks*

I know what's not going to make the short list. Sonic Chronicles.

TheOGB

Banned
It blows my mind that this is the same dev that made Crash Team Racing. How did it come to this
For all the shit we give Sonic Team for wanting to ruin shit with cinematics and questionable
shit
, we should be happy Crash didn't stay with Naughty Dog.

At least, we would be happy if Crash didn't end up dying afterwards ._.

The MMX Genesis ones are my favorite of these mixs

Me, I grew up with a Genesis during the 16-bit era, so the sounds of say, Thunderforce 4 or X-men 2, are ingrained in my head as the way they are just supposed to be.

Noi

Kokonoe, good LTTP thread on Gaming Side. That's the kinda stuff I like to see. I'm really happy to see you enjoy Radiant Historia as well. I had a friend who called Stocke the "Solid Snake" of modern RPGs, just because I'd briefly said that he wasn't necessarily a character who grew, but rather the player was discovering various layers to his character throughout the game which appreciated a lot. I'm also glad to see you enjoying the battle system.

Now you've got me wondering what my favourite RPG of the generation is. Maybe Sora no Kiseki The 3rd, but I'm only going to say that because it was the last RPG I finished off.
KuGsj.gif

What RPGs have I even played this gen? *thinks*

I know what's not going to make the short list. Sonic Chronicles.

The one you own 3 copies of? :V

Oh hey, we were doin' lists right? Here're mine:

Alan Wake
Bayonetta
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
inFAMOUS 2
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Rayman Origins
Sonic Generations
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

Oh hey, we were doin' lists right? Here're mine:

Alan Wake
Bayonetta
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
inFAMOUS 2
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Rayman Origins
Sonic Generations
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

What is this a current gen favorites list?

Well this'll be easy.

Red Dead Redemption
Yakuza 4
The World Ends With You(That counts right?)
Demon's Souls
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sonic Colors and Generations(sharing a spot because reasons)

Not to say these were the only games I enjoyed this gen, just the only ones that stood out for me.

I hate doing lists because I always feel like I forgot something, and they're rarely if ever are complete.

As Squall would say, "whatever".

And Tails frequently jumped into some alternate fox-laden medieval dimension where he was a genuine hero despite being something of a wimp in his main dimension

And then there was an entire universe in "the Special Zone" where the Chaotix lived and worked and there was some weird mob boss with his own entourage of mooks, one of which who looked like Curare from Batman Beyond, and you got to this world via a floating sentient television screen with a face called the Omni-Viewer and then an evil Super Sonic got stuck inside it and slowed to a crawl causing Sonic to get stuck there for like 30 issues until Super Sonic broke free but they put him back in the main dimension where his escape triggered an EMP blast all across the planet which rendered Robotnik's forces completely inert allowing the heroes to quickly and decisively overpower him and topple his draconian regime

And then they went to Flickies' Island for some reason and Robotnik wound up getting yanked through the portal in the rings to another alternate dimension run by talking fishes who operated robotic bodies that looked like Roman centurions or something and apparently Chaos was one of these fish people but that wasn't established until very late in the game

And somewhere during this fishy business Metal Knuckles Knuckles Metallix came into play

Eventually Eggman makes a powergrab for the emeralds on the Floating Island but winds up vasnishing but he hasn't vanished he was shrunk to a miniscule size and wound up on some microscopic Arabic world and Sonic follows him and it turns out Robotnik is good-natured Kintobor again but then he changes back to Robotnik arbitrarily

And this is around where my three year stay in England ended so I never really figured out where it went from here but oh my God Sonic the Comic is weird

qq more

I swear to god every time I see someone swearing, I immediately look back at my most recent post to make sure I didn't swear.

This challenge is actually driving me insane :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But because of the way it's set up, you really can't get the full experience without replicating the entire thing. There were never any homeports, and good luck finding this damn thing in an arcade(or an arcade anywhere).

I wonder about the future of game preservation. Are you just gonna rely on emulation to save everything? And what about the really huge several GB+ games? Or things like Lucky and Wild well the full experience can't be grasped with your keyboard or dualshock controller. I think a lot of games are just gonna be lost in time, living on in your memories.
I think the only place you can find stuff like this are movie theatres or what was formerly known as "Sega City Playdium" (now just called Playdium--it was this massive arcade; I'm sure it's still structured that way but I haven't been to that in soooo long) in Canada. Man, I miss arcades. They used to be really awesome, and local co-op was really fun and you got to meet a lot of people.

I dunno. I'm in a mindset where I'm saying to myself that "I'd love to retire my discs" because I can get a digital copy of PS1 games (and maybe PS2/GCN/Wii games one day). Discs aren't going to last forever. You can replace batteries in cartridges to make them play like they're new, so I don't think game preservation for stuff like that is that difficult. Stuff like authentic arcade experiences, though? MAME can't reproduce everything, especially that Lucky and Wild game you're talking about because it has a ton of control inputs.

The one you own 3 copies of? :V
I don't know if that's my favourite RPG this gen. It's the one that I liked to play the most and had a lot of fun with, though. I'm looking at my games and I'm not sure what to pick.

Huh, I have a copy of Devil Kings laying around here.

I have a lot of stuff laying around here. Like, this is probably 33% of my DS games (yaaaaay 2+ hr commute back in undergrad). I really need to fix the shelf and re-order my games in there, though. I dislike how disorganized they are, and it's relatively messy.

Should really give this series a shot again. It reminded me a lot of Tintin.

tiggerkiddo said:
She played Pink Haired Heroines XIII-2
And I probably fell asleep while doing so.

Uncharted 2 was pretty good.

I remember having a lot of fun in the multiplayer beta. Got a whole bunch of people on my friendslist playing that.

People I have not played with or talked to in years. Yet don't want to remove because reasons.

It's such an awkward feeling looking at that lists.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I swear to god every time I see someone swearing, I immediately look back at my most recent post to make sure I didn't swear.

This challenge is actually driving me insane :lol
I swear this is not the intent.

It's not that bad!

And Tails frequently jumped into some alternate fox-laden medieval dimension where he was a genuine hero despite being something of a wimp in his main dimension

And somewhere during this fishy business Metal Knuckles Knuckles Metallix came into play

Eventually Eggman makes a powergrab for the emeralds on the Floating Island but winds up vasnishing but he hasn't vanished he was shrunk to a miniscule size and wound up on some microscopic Arabic world and Sonic follows him and it turns out Robotnik is good-natured Kintobor again but then he changes back to Robotnik arbitrarily
Cu7zwxp.gif

You should at least play through 2. Such a ride.
It should be the best of the series, yes?

Is it Nolan North's best performance?

U2 is the best in the series yes, I thought Nolan was pretty great in it.

I love all the characters and their interactions in that game really.

Definitely the best. I'm not sure if it's Nolan North's best performance, he's fantastic in 3 too where he has a bit more range (mostly because the plot is a bit more introspective), but he's cracking either way.

A shame that when Uncharted 2 isn't being a set piece extravaganza it's a pretty unremarkable third person shooter filled with boring spongy enemies and tediously linear scenery scaling "platforming".
Bah, game of the generation my arse, great presentation let down by everything that actually matters, it's good enough at best.

Noi

I was about to mention how UC2 is my least favorite in the series but

A shame that when Uncharted 2 isn't being a set piece extravaganza it's a pretty unremarkable third person shooter filled with boring spongy enemies and tediously linear scenery scaling "platforming".
Bah, game of the generation my arse, great presentation let down by everything that actually matters, it's good enough at best.

someone beat me to it. 1 and Golden Abyss are tops for me. Haven't played 3.

Because proper platforming in shooters hadn't been proven to be total garbage time and time again, of course.

Anyway, the shooting's fine. Just aim for the head. Duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom