• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually Hale, Baker, Blum, and North will form up like Voltron and voice all characters in all media

"AND I'LL FORM THE HEAD!" says Johnny-Yong Bosch

Because proper platforming in shooters hadn't been proven to be total garbage time and time again, of course.

Anyway, the shooting's fine. Just aim for the head. Duh.

The hit reactions are lacking as all hell though.

It gets even more annoying especially at the end.

Sure it was functional, but it could have been better.

I don't know, U2 was good enough for what it was. However I would like to see Naughty Dog try to make Uncharted something more than just a linear set piece shoot em up thing.

They aren't too long, no. I can't remember how long 2 was... about 10 hours? Maybe? Depends how good you are I suppose.

I don't know, U2 was good enough for what it was. However I would like to see Naughty Dog try to make Uncharted something more than just a linear set piece shoot em up thing.

But that's what people wanted from the series. Look, if we're gonna get a lot of games that follow that design- and in a world dominated by CoD campaigns, we sure are- I'd like there to at least be a series and developer that does really fucking good work with the linear shooter. If you didn't like what it was... then I dunno what to say to you. Don't play it?

Your other complaints are valid. That series is a perfect example of "more than the sum of its parts" to me, or maybe just how certain impressive elements of a game can carry others. UC2 at least felt designed around its flaws (if that makes any sense) whereas 1 was kinda mauled by them, and 3 let itself slip into frustration too often.

I was about to mention how UC2 is my least favorite in the series but someone beat me to it. 1 and Golden Abyss are tops for me. Haven't played 3.

Is Golden Abyss really that good? I haven't really heard much about it, at least in relation to the console entries.

UC3 hit reactions were worse

and you wanna talk about bullet sponge enemies, that's UC1's modus operandi

Never knew t-shirt wearing pirates could soak up so many shots

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They aren't too long, no. I can't remember how long 2 was... about 10 hours? Maybe? Depends how good you are I suppose.
Let's see...
UC1 - 8-10 hours
UC2 - 10-12 hours
UC3 - 8-10 hours
Golden Abyss - 9-11 hours (oh lawd that completionist time)

Are these in some sort of chronological order?

Hahaha! What do you think I am? A quitter?! I'll keep going even if it means the end of my sanity!
Well, you sound like you don't like the challenge at all.

Sciz

Recent (or at least recently lively) GAF memes that need to be taken out back and shot:

Have Platinum make it
Have Retro make it
DBZ power level comparisons
Nintendo should buy Studio X
Should be more like Dark Souls

/soapbox

Is Golden Abyss really that good? I haven't really heard much about it, at least in relation to the console entries.

As someone who doesn't own a Vita, never mind Golden Abyss, you probably should ignore my opinions on the matter.

But... that game's touchscreen horseshit looks like The Worst Thing.

Are these in some sort of chronological order?

1/2/3 all follow each other chronologically, Golden Abyss is a prequel to either 1 or 2, I can't remember. It probably doesn't matter, they've all got safe-contained plots (if not casts).

qq more

Well, you sound like you don't like the challenge at all.

Doesn't mean I'm ready to give up! I can do this! YES I CAN! I WILL WIN THIS CHALLENGE!!!! YEAHFKSDGJSSDJKL;HJSDHJKDHJKSDHJKLSDGH

oh and on a completely different subject

Looks like Emerald Ties is about to continue development! Looking forward to SAGE 2013!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Recent GAF memes that need to be taken out back and shot:

Have Platinum make it - agreed
Have Retro make it - agreed
DBZ power level comparisons - wait, people do this?!
Nintendo should buy Studio X - agreed
Should be more like Dark Souls - definitely agreed

People do DBZ power level comparisons?
RjzuLeE.gif

Isn't Golden Abyss before UC1?
It's not like it really matters, there is no overarching plot to keep track of.
The games are kind of talky, so I wanted to know if there was any chronological order I should play them in, lol.

I've played a bit of UC1 and didn't dig it that much in the past.

qq more

Have Platinum make it - agreed
Have Retro make it - agreed
DBZ power level comparisons - wait, people do this?!
Nintendo should buy Studio X - agreed
Should be more like Dark Souls - definitely agreed

People do DBZ power level comparisons?
RjzuLeE.gif
Yes

"SO THE WII U IS BASICALLY GOKU AND PS4 IS BLAH BLAH"

Noi

It has it's hang ups like any other launch game where the dev feels forced to use every single input for a handheld, but it has some of my favorite gunplay in a shooter in years. Using the analog to do general aiming and then the gyro for precision aiming feels so good, and I can pop headshots all day with it using any weapon. It has the best hidden treasures in the series because they're actually related to the game's plot and setting, and it actually has a lot of chapters with no combat, just either shooting the breeze with another character or doing some platforming. The former are some of my favorite chapters in the series.

You haven't set foot in any next-gen hardware threads, clearly.

And good on her. Those are the worst. "HE-HEY YOU GUYS, THE PS FORFLE WILL HAVE SIXTY SIX TERAFLOPS OF MEGABYTES" fuck off, just tell when you're unveiling it, and what the online services will be like.

Fucking specs for consoles, who the hell cares?

It's funny though because the one I glanced in earlier today for like 15 seconds did indeed have a DBZ power comparison, i'm pretty sure its why I jumped straight back out now I think about it.

Oh and agree with the rest of that list of yours.

Sciz

And good on her. Those are the worst. "HE-HEY YOU GUYS, THE PS FORFLE WILL HAVE SIXTY SIX TERAFLOPS OF MEGABYTES" fuck off, just tell when you're unveiling it, and what the online services will be like.

On a purely technical level, the specs are interesting information as they give us an idea of what sort of price range to expect and what sort of philosophy the companies behind them are going to be pushing
and how hard PCs are going to be able to outmuscle both of them

But the endless "BUT WHICH IS BETTER" dick waving is already unbearable.

So I have come to the conclusion that Sonic Rush has the best OST after Sonic 3 as far as sidescrolling sonic goes.

I have also come to the conclusion that the Blaze mixes are better than Sonic's tracks.

On a purely technical level, the specs are interesting information as they give us an idea of what sort of price range to expect and what sort of philosophy the companies behind them are going to be pushing
and how hard PCs are going to be able to outmuscle both of them

But the endless "BUT WHICH IS BETTER" dick waving is already unbearable.

Yeah, I'd be super tolerable of it all if they all showed a genuine love/fascination for the info like proper techies or something. But they really don't.

At least 10 years ago specs would be defining what games were gonna look like for the next few years, but nowadays so many other things are defining that. Those new Orbis rumours? I just went straight to any mention of a controller and that's all I read.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
An incredibly apt comparison.

I did once a while ago, and then I realized that the thread was simply irritating nonsense so I decided to stay out of them.

Yes

"SO THE WII U IS BASICALLY GOKU AND PS4 IS BLAH BLAH"
what

The worst part of it is the console wars stuff, really, which has already started despite the systems not even being unveiled yet.

Does it have good software? Will I have fun with it? Does it have an OFF/ON switch? Edit: Is it region-free? Okay. That's all I need to know. :|

It's pretty much devolved into petty fanboy "let's look at these specs and see how much we can mock Nintendo and [insert Microsoft/Sony here as relevant] fanboys over it" territory, honestly.

The funniest part is the idea of mocking the Wii U for its graphics. Sure, it's 360/PS3 level. Great. There's a million other things that are objectively wrong about it though, and you shoot at that? :lol

Don't they know it's all about the games?

None of this matter without games.

Not specs, not tech demos, nothing matters unless there's an actual game involved.

Gaming...gaming has changed.
Not really

qq more

I would say specs are important so Wii U could get great third party support but then I remembered the N64 and Gamecube's support. So uhhh... yeah specs stopped mattering to me when I realize that they wouldn't support the Wii U regardless.

I'm going to continue having fun with the Wii U (once more games comes out for it) and wait for a good price on the PS4.

Noi

Don't they know it's all about the games?

None of this matter without games.

Not specs, not tech demos, nothing matters unless there's an actual game involved.

Not really

I used to think this, but with the Networks and the like have grown more complex, I'm being forced to start to be stingy towards companies doing stuff that I don't agree with. Like the Wii U and it's whole mess of issues.

Fake edit: Green Scar has the right idea.

qq more

The funniest part is the idea of mocking the Wii U for its graphics. Sure, it's 360/PS3 level. Great. There's a million other things that are objectively wrong about it though, and you shoot at that? :lol

Yeah the Wii U has a lot of issues such as slow loading OS and the whole account thing.

Fortunately the OS thing is getting addressed in the future Spring update! The ridiculous tied to console account issue...? No idea. Hopefully they'll fix that once Miiverse is accessible to the 3DS and whatnot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not really
We need to look up old posts from Usenet from the PS1/N64/all those darn consoles released about the 16-bit era and around that time. Just for the laughs.

Edit: As usual EmCee's done all the work:
SFX sux http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39841609&postcount=78
shitty bullshots! / DC has an edge in texture mapping over PSX2? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39870146&postcount=121
Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube lose to the PS3 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39878341&postcount=143

Square has shot themselves in the foot, PS1 version : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39932483&postcount=173

Looks like Emerald Ties is about to continue development! Looking forward to SAGE 2013!
Is Andy Tunstall still doing music for you guys? New zones?

It's pretty much devolved into petty fanboy "let's look at these specs and see how much we can mock Nintendo and [insert Microsoft/Sony here as relevant] fanboys over it" territory, honestly.
So the threads are generally the same thing, but different thread?

Slow OS, the region-lock (which is important to a few of us), account tied to a console, downloadable games being apparently tied to the console as opposed to the account, etc.

The last thing I'd ding it for is graphics. Because if I'm having fun with a game, artstyle takes precedence over graphical quality.

The popularity of Street Fighter 2 (classic, CE, HF) is definitely dying fast,
if it isn't already almost dead. I guess what I am wondering about is: does
anyone think that this endless series of SF2 updates and its clones will
ever end? I have a feeling that once SF2 is no longer popular, neither will its
clone games retain their popularity. I predict that fighting games will
disappear into the abandoned corners of the arcades as quickly as they became
the dominant arcade game genre.
- some guy in '93

The death of fighting games!

That reminds me to make a thread for best revivals/worthy follow-ups to classic dormant franchises.

qq more

Is Andy Tunstall still doing music for you guys? New zones?

We haven't really spoken to Andy about the music lately. He probably doesn't need to do much for this year's demo since half of the new songs were already composed (sometime before SAGE 2012, the demo originally planned to have more zones but we ran out of time).

We recently just kind of come back, all we've accomplished today was planning things for the demo.

Andy has also uploaded the new songs to youtube many months ago so I think it's alright for me to link them.

Heated Heights Zone
Vermillion Voyage Zone

I'll be honest, those DBZ power level comparisons actually do give me a decent grasp on what's being discussed in those threads, since I know fuck all about console specs.

Noi

"Jak, go kill these enemies that shoot at you from really far away in the forest"

Oh, ok, that doesn't sound too ba-

"Btw, there's 30 of them and they're all invisible. And if you die, you have to start all over."

ibiFW51hNiVN6V.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom