• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

The best line in a Sonic game is Shadow going CHAOS CONTROL right before roundhouse kicking Silver.

Oh, they're finally localizing Celceta, huh? That game has a lot of text.

*pointed criticism at XSEED dragging their asses on Trails*

If you didn't like Ys Seven like me, you'll like Celceta's more balanced version of Flash Guard/Flash Dodge. I just really really really dislike how it looks, and it's not really a remake of Ys IV at all. It's more of a reimagining and it feels much different than the original IV games.

I liked Seven! I've yet to play an Ys that I didn't like, which is a pretty rare thing.

Then again, I haven't played the "average" entries (IV-VI). Only Origin, 1&II (TG16 and Chronicles), Oath and Seven.

What is it you don't like about IV? Story? Gameplay? World?

The gameplay being really basic and the Story being pretty dumb when you sit down and think about it.

BlackJace

Haha wow, I played the Complete Collection on my PSP a few months ago. Definitely not the best FF, but at the end of the day, it was digestible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What is it you don't like about IV? Story? Gameplay? World?
I keep forgetting that not everyone checks the anniversary playthrough thread.

x261G.png

DarkSchala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Some kind of weird stuff, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

I think it's really easy and the gameplay doesn't do much to make it more challenging to the player (with the exception of the DS version), some of the areas have good area/dungeon design and others odd, death is meaningless when taken in comparison to games created 2-3 years prior to its creation (one even in the same series!), if you're playing earlier versions (and the PSP version) than the DS version and use buffs it makes the game a cakewalk because the game is oddly balanced.

And the story's really dumb after
Cecil crashes his ship and dies but then dreams that he class changes into a Paladin because he's pathetic
. Cecil is one of the worst protagonists ever.

Isn't FFIV culturally important for the ATB system or something
Yes, but everything else annoying about it overrides its importance in that field.

I liked Seven! I've yet to play an Ys that I didn't like, which is a pretty rare thing.

Then again, I haven't played the "average" entries (IV-VI). Only Origin, 1&II (TG16 and Chronicles), Oath and Seven.
I didn't like Seven's Party System at all, and it added some fat to the game that didn't really need to be there. Celceta has better execution with the party system, but it still has some of that fat that I feel doesn't really need to be there.

pure hatred (j/k)

Your major faults with the game are its difficulty? Just because a game is easy...doesn't make it less fun...FF6 is MEGA FREAKING EASY and it's like one of the best in the series. The gameplay was kinda interesting as well because of the Five person party, I wish they would use it again.

The story isn't classic literature but it's fairly interesting but I think the characters make it, like Kain, Rydia, Edge, Golbez (ALL MAN), Edward...etc. It's not a very complex story by any means.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Your major faults with the game are its difficulty? Just because a game is easy...doesn't make it less fun...FF6 is MEGA FREAKING EASY and it's like one of the best in the series.

The story isn't classic literature but it's fairly interesting but I think the characters make it, like Kain, Rydia, Edge, Golbez (ALL MAN), Edward...etc. It's not a very complex story by any means.
Kain, Golbez, and Rydia are the only good characters in that game. Rydia, though, is randomly SORAS'd in order to be a love interest for Edge and I don't like how that was handled at all.

Edge is there for comic relief, pure and simple. He takes on Palom's role. That's about it. Outside of one instance of plot, he ends up being comic relief in the end. And he's not that funny.

Edward shielded himself from arrows with a woman, cried, almost died because of some animal, cried, tripped and fell, hit his head, spent the rest of the game bedridden, and then went into some airship and shielded himself with a woman again.

None of these characters have additional layers or characterization. When people say they love the characters in this game, I have to ask why because they barely develop at all.

And I have more fun with a game when I'm using every facet of its battle system to its fullest advantage. That comes with extra difficulty (which is why I don't dislike FF4 DS outside of it being s l o w). Easy is boring, but if the story makes up for it, that's fine. And FF4's story certainly does not make up for its general ease.

If I had to say something right now at this moment about my favourites (because it changes a lot), FF5, FF10-2, and FF9 are probably my favourites. In terms of story/world, FF10 and FF2 are the ones I like from that perspective.

Nert

Final Fantasy talk, eh? I just finished playing FFV (GBA version, if that matters) for the first time a couple of days ago. I never ended up liking it that much, but it certainly had its strengths. I could elaborate on that if anyone was interested.

I'm also an hour into FFVI and already liking it a lot more.

qq more

That counts as cursing, you fucker

I'll go finish the avatar.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But I don't know, I just can't stand it because it gives me too much pressure. I like turn based wayyyy more because I like to plan out my next move as long as I want. ATB also feels far less accessible and very irritating. Maybe I'm just not used to it but it's just too frantic for my likings.

Come to think of it, that's probably why I find it easier to get into Dragon Quest. It's just sooo much more fun to me.

Kain, Golbez, and Rydia are the only good characters in that game. Rydia, though, is randomly SORAS'd in order to be a love interest for Edge and I don't like how that was handled at all.

Edge is there for comic relief, pure and simple. He takes on Palom's role. That's about it. Outside of one instance of plot, he ends up being comic relief in the end. And he's not that funny.

Edward shielded himself from arrows with a woman, cried, almost died because of some animal, cried, tripped and fell, hit his head, spent the rest of the game bedridden, and then went into some airship and shielded himself with a woman again.

None of these characters have additional layers or characterization. When people say they love the characters in this game, I have to ask why because they barely develop at all.

And I have more fun with a game when I'm using every facet of its battle system to its fullest advantage. That comes with extra difficulty (which is why I don't dislike FF4 DS outside of it being s l o w). Easy is boring, but if the story makes up for it, that's fine. And FF4's story certainly does not make up for its general ease.

If I had to say something right now at this moment about my favourites (because it changes a lot), FF5, FF10-2, and FF9 are probably my favourites. In terms of story/world, FF10 and FF2 are the ones I like from that perspective.

Ehhh I think it's funny how often Edge finds himself face first in the ground. His fun is pure cheese, he's just a really cheesy ninja and I like him for what he is.

Edward gave me the chance to see the spoony bard line. His worth is made up in that fight with Tellah!

I don't really see it as an issue, people like the characters for who they are. They don't have to be deep or develop throughout the game for people to like them, they just like them for who they are. I can play other games if I want to see characters develop...other times I just want to laugh and smile at them, even if they aren't that deep.

I see your point about the difficulty. I don't really care if the game is difficult as long as the battle system is fun...even if it's easy, I play a lot of games to relax...I don't want to be driven mad with difficulty. When I'm in the mood for it, I'll seek it out (Super bosses or bonus dungeons)

And as for me, my absolute favorites are VI, IX, X and XII with IX and XII having the best worlds while X probably had the best story.

I like my JRPGs fast paced, so naturally, I'm a fan of ATB. I've always liked it's implementation in Parasite Eve and Chrono Trigger more than in the FF series, tough.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Spoilers on the forthcoming review: Anarchy Reigns doesn't seem like a very good game
Post your review in the game's official thread because that'll earn you a few fans.

:p

Nah post it here.

I don't really see it as an issue, people like the characters for who they are. They don't have to be deep or develop throughout the game for people to like them, they just like them for who they are. I can play other games if I want to see characters develop...other times I just want to laugh and smile at them, even if they aren't that deep.

I see your point about the difficulty. I don't really care if the game is difficult as long as the battle system is fun...even if it's easy, I play a lot of games to relax...I don't want to be driven mad with difficulty. When I'm in the mood for it, I'll seek it out (Super bosses or bonus dungeons)
For a series that prides itself on character development and narrative flavour, I have to wonder why they never ever went so far to completely restructure the game from the ground up, character development-wise. They added a few scenes to flesh out Golbez in the DS remake, but not necessarily postgame/in-game character quests or content to make the characters more than one-dimensional in a later remake. It bothers me.

Well, you're talking to the person who goes on the highest difficulties in ARPGs and SRPGs, so...

Yay, another expensive paperweight!

If it has backwards compatibility, I'll buy the darn thing.

Post your review in the game's official thread because that'll earn you a few fans.

:p

Nah post it here.

For a series that prides itself on character development and narrative flavour, I have to wonder why they never ever went so far to completely restructure the game from the ground up, character development-wise. They added a few scenes to flesh out Golbez in the DS remake, but not necessarily postgame/in-game character quests or content to make the characters more than one-dimensional in a later remake. It bothers me.

Well, you're talking to the person who goes on the highest difficulties in ARPGs and SRPGs, so...

Squeenix doesn't waste its time with such matters! They only pour that sort of effort into the latest entry in Lightning's Fantasy XIII-Our Nightmare. I'm fine with them not messing much with the story, they've sucked at stories as of late so I don't trust them to write a book for kids even. Probably turn them into Lightning fetishists or something horrific like that.

Ahhh well not everyone is a fiend for the difficulty you crave so they have to always focus on who the majority will be...and something about that sentence just makes me sad.

qq more

oh hmmm i hope it isn't too expensive like the ps3 or i'd have to sit out for a few years before getting it...

looking forward to it though!

Noi

I forget, how did they show the "Golbez' severed hand take the last crystal" scene in the DS game? That should have been something they could have tweaked to make a wee bit more sense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I forget, how did they show the "Golbez' severed hand take the last crystal" scene in the DS game? That should have been something they could have tweaked to make a wee bit more sense.
They decided to leave Golbez's dead body there (derp), started to leave off-screen, and then he picks himself up (really really fast as if he weren't injured), turned around, and did disappearing magic with the crystal. He didn't pick up the crystal or anything with his hand.

Squeenix doesn't waste its time with such matters! They only pour that sort of effort into the latest entry in Lightning's Fantasy XIII-Our Nightmare. I'm fine with them not messing much with the story, they've sucked at stories as of late so I don't trust them to write a book for kids even. Probably turn them into Lightning fetishists or something horrific like that.
Lightning will be in the next FF4 remake. Just you watch!

Ahhh well not everyone is a fiend for the difficulty you crave so they have to always focus on who the majority will be...and something about that sentence just makes me sad.
LOL, nah. I like it when the games are balanced too.

Noi

I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning took Gilgamesh' place as "the one camera appearance that keeps being included in early game re-releases."

I really wouldn't.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, the new PS platform's going to be unveiled on Feb 20th?

I hope it's region-freeeeeeeee.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning took Gilgamesh' place as "the one camera appearance that keeps being included in early game re-releases."

I really wouldn't.
MagiusNecros's worst nightmare.

I really wouldn't.

They'll do it so they can design more slutty outfits for her. They'll put Bravely Default to shame.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Reading Tales threads while sitting on the sidelines and not posting in them is really interesting. Eheh. It's gotten to a point where I've said everything I've needed to say so I don't feel like repeating myself. >.>

I don't think... I have a favourite FF. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't think one stands out over the rest just because... like... there are some things that I don't understand what they were thinking in its execution, but there are some things I like a lot. But the problem with FF games sometimes is that they aren't generally cohesive wholes. One thing might be the best thing about the game, but then you have another aspect which is incredibly lacking. You're always going to have one thing that's really great, and one thing that drags down the game.

It's not like the Sonic series where I'm juggling between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K because both of those games generally stand head and shoulders above the others. I could make reasonable cases for Unleashed and Colours.

Noi

I can safely say that I like FF5 the most and FF2 the least, but every other game is in this equal zone where it's hard to "rank" them because of how different they are. At most I can just say "I like this one more than I like this other one", since I like them all to varying degrees.

Graces is my favorites Tales game and Colors is my favorite Sonic though, by far.

Haven't seen the Transformed OT get bumped but the Steam version of Racing Transformed is out now! Any peeps in here pick up this version? Internet's being incredibly moody lately so it might take awhile for me to get a low enough ping to connect to overseas servers.

Steam name's spoony_king btw.

FF II is the worst Final Fantasy game because the battle system is a royal pain. I get what they're trying for but I hate the execution big time. And the story is boring so it doesn't make up for the lackluster battle system.

Noi

"Although this is the highest caliber race, it really isn’t all that difficult,
mainly due to two useful shortcuts."

Doesn't mention the insta-death pit in the middle of the race. Thanks a lot, Jak II FAQ writer.

qq more

I can safely say that I like FF5 the most and FF2 the least, but every other game is in this equal zone where it's hard to "rank" them because of how different they are. At most I can just say "I like this one more than I like this other one", since I like them all to varying degrees.

Graces is my favorites Tales game and Colors is my favorite Sonic though, by far.

I really want a Colors 2. The whole wisp thing is just so fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom