• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think maybe some people said they were getting the PC version of ASRT. What I really want to see are the mods if anyone could take a stab at it and deliver something nice! New tracks, character implementation, anything.

I wouldn't mind a Colours II! I wonder how Sonic will fare this coming generation.

The Wii and DS always seemed to be the series' strongest platforms, so I wonder if that trend will continue on with the 3DS or Wii U. ASRT's strongest platform is the Wii U, right?

Did we ever get an indication of how Generations 3DS did? I know Generations didn't do as well as Colours despite its platform split.

It's no use.

itsnouse-1_zpsfd24e5bb.png
This is... the best.

How kawaii.

Nert

If I had to say something right now at this moment about my favourites (because it changes a lot), FF5, FF10-2, and FF9 are probably my favourites. In terms of story/world, FF10 and FF2 are the ones I like from that perspective.

I can safely say that I like FF5 the most and FF2 the least, but every other game is in this equal zone where it's hard to "rank" them because of how different they are. At most I can just say "I like this one more than I like this other one", since I like them all to varying degrees.

If you two wouldn't mind, could you describe what is is about FFV that really appeals to you? I thought the game had a decent sense of humor (Gilgamesh's arc cracked me up) and some of the jobs were interesting, but I have a lot of problems with the game. The game's setting and dungeons feel incredibly bland and lacking in character, the story and characters are (purposefully?) one note and uninteresting, and I more or less breezed through the entire game. A lot of RPGs, including ones that I love, have some balance problems, but Rapid Fire alone thoroughly broke the game for me.

Kokonoe

Banned
oh good

even if you said yes i would of have think it'd be some trick just to get me to actually swear thinking it's over when it really wasn't!

EDIT: am I seeing shoes?

It's Silver, I used the default Stoutland hair since if you edit out the ears, it's similar to Silver. I also gave it a Luvdisc moustache and made it pink.

This is... the best.

How kawaii.

Thank you, I am SonicGAF's largest creator of kawaii. This is my masterpiece.

qq more

The Wii and DS always seemed to be the series' strongest platforms, so I wonder if that trend will continue on with the 3DS or Wii U. ASRT's strongest platform is the Wii U, right?

Did we ever get an indication of how Generations 3DS did? I know Generations didn't do as well as Colours despite its platform split.
From what I've heard Generations 3DS apparently sold the best if you were to separate the PC/PS3/360 version's sales.

That isn't saying much honestly.

It's Silver, I used the default Stoutland hair since if you edit out the ears, it's similar to Silver. I also gave it a Luvdisc moustache and made it pink.
:lol I sort of had a feeling it was Silver when I took a closer look

I'm surprised on account of the 3DS version being pretty weak, though i'll be interested to see what they'll manage without the small development window, coming to think of it a new 3DS Sonic game is surely in the works, I wonder when it will crop up, hopefully it would be its own game/series if so.

qq more

I'm surprised on account of the 3DS version being pretty weak, though i'll be interested to see what they'll manage without the small development window, coming to think of it a new 3DS Sonic game is surely in the works, I wonder when it will crop up, hopefully it would be its own game/series if so.

It's Dimps. Worse is that they were working on Sonic 4 Episode 2 at the same time. :X

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you two wouldn't mind, could you describe what is is about FFV that really appeals to you? I thought the game had a decent sense of humor (Gilgamesh's arc cracked me up) and some of the jobs were interesting, but I have a lot of problems with the game. The game's setting and dungeons feel incredibly bland and lacking in character, the story and characters are (purposefully?) one note and uninteresting, and I more or less breezed through the entire game. A lot of RPGs, including ones that I love, have some balance problems, but Rapid Fire alone thoroughly broke the game for me.
Half of what I thought of the game was included in the FF5 anniversary thread OP.

Very very briefly, I mostly like it for :
-its replayability factor (experimentation with different jobs and abilities to see what works across several playthroughs as there are many many many ways of finishing it off)
- the fact that it's FF3 but better (best crossover with skill classes; I like its take on the system more than Espers (in ff5, each character still have something distinguishing them from other people skillset-wise) and Materia (this system is actually more appealing than FF6's, actually, because it's base stats and a base job in addition to different skills, still making each character different from each other).
- the !skill addition (so you can make your mages do more rather than simply be magic providers and thus they can assume dual positions in your party... you have a lot of combinations and/or permutations available to you outside of deciding the four primary jobs you want to use)
- you can willingly make the game harder if you wanted to (which is what the Hard version of the Job Fiesta is for), much like you could for FF1 and FF3.
- I think the GBA version is funny for the right reasons. The PS1 version is funny for the wrong reasons.
- Buttz.
- I flipping love the spell cast animations. Blue Mage > all.
- you don't need to grind (hell, you don't ever need to grind in an FF or DQ or anything like that if you use your buffs/debuffs). Try out a new job or skill to see what happens.
- Emphasis on gameplay/ability management over story. What every game should do.

You know I don't care much about story if I'm having fun with the systems. But Sakaguchi wrote that story, but I guess he's biased when he used to say it was his favourite FF game before FF9 came out. :p

Nocturnowl said:
Because it's on the 3DS. More of the Sonic fanbase or platformer fans desiring a new portable platformer on the 3DS (especially at that time) would've probably picked it up.

I hope Dimps isn't part of the portable Sonic crew anymore, but they need work or something I dunno. :/

Noi

Schala touched the gameplay aspects that I knew I wouldn't be able to elaborate on, but re:gameplay, I don't feel like the game is unbalanced at all. Sure, it's easy to break if you play around with it a little, but one thing that the Four Job Fiesta shows is just how balanced it is in that you can actually limit yourself to using only four jobs and still find ways to beat the game. It's a really fun playground to mess around with and discover things that jobs do that you didn't know before.

In regards to story, the humorous situations make the game for me, especially the work done in the GBA translation. The puns between Galuf and Xexat on the ship in World 2, the little back and forth about Pizza between Exdeath and Sage Ghido, everything about Gilgamesh, the entire setup where Exdeath turns into a splinter and comes back to life... At no point does FFV make any effort to take itself as seriously as other games in the series does, and I love it for it.

Despite how somewhat janky he plays, playing as Sonic in Christmas NiGHTS is still a pretty sweet novelty. I remember unlocking it as a kid and replaying it over and over because holy crap it's Sonic in three-deeeeee

Reskinning Puffy as Robotnik and remixing Final Fever was a nice touch, too. Best demo disc ever.

Noi

Credits rolling. That final boss was as bad as expected.

I don't know who Morgan was, but this is an awful game to have been made in memory of her.

Haven't seen the Transformed OT get bumped but the Steam version of Racing Transformed is out now! Any peeps in here pick up this version? Internet's being incredibly moody lately so it might take awhile for me to get a low enough ping to connect to overseas servers.

Steam name's spoony_king btw.
It got its own topic in Gaming.

And why haven't we swapped Steam IDs yet? "shadowhog" here.

EDIT: Who is this one person anywayssss
It's clearly me. I may have unpopular opinions at times, but by God, I'm sincere about them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why are you typing like this?
He's obviously going insane with this challenge!

Seven Force said:
Reskinning Puffy as Robotnik and remixing Final Fever was a nice touch, too. Best demo disc ever.
I looked at this and thought "Puff Daddy?" for a minute until I remembered how NiGHTS went.

qq more said:
Dimps should go back to Capcom

and Sega should obviously hire us to make Sonic 3DS
I really do think Sega should go the Capcpom route and back some fangames. Some of them are really darn good, and sometimes it feels like the 2D output that I've seen in some fangames have been better than some of Dimps's work.

I don't know if fan creators would feel similarly, though.

Yes, this is me opening up the floor for some of you to say whether or not you'd welcome Sega's support or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
???? Is it the Z's? That's just me being me.
You may not have noticed it, but your writing style has gotten really weird since Sunday.

It's actually kind of freaking me out. It starts off as qq more, but then it ends up turning into something really weird and disjointed. It's unsettling, man.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So was the platinum hard, Noi?! :D

Actually, I haven't noticed it.

BTW, I find it funny that "not cursing" is considered challenging.
It's challenging because it's qq more.

It's actually kind of noticeable when you scrutinize the tone and general construction of the posts. It's not qq more anymore. It's an empty shell of a man.

Quackula

You may not have noticed it, but your writing style has gotten really weird since Sunday.

It's actually kind of freaking me out. It starts off as qq more, but then it ends up turning into something really weird and disjointed. It's unsettling, man.

I've known him for years and I don't notice anything...

...maybe I know him too well?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've known him for years and I don't notice anything...

...maybe I know him too well?
It's really his tone and post construction. Like, he's really holding back his attitude in general, and it's affected his general style, syntax, and semantics in general. Especially compared to before.

It's like he's subconsciously walking on eggshells!
KuGsj.gif

Considering the plat is pretty much "beat the game"....

yes.
But does that mean everyone is wrong?!

D132YhM.png

"Good game but hard as hell"

It's Tim Rogers favorite PS2 game. Surely he couldn't be crazy

Though my weird jerk heart burns to put some weird jerk selection at the top of my hall of fame, there is only Jak II. After Crash Bandicoot, Naughty Dog claimed their next series was going to be something truly special. Was it? I'm not sure. Jak and Daxter was the vanguard of many Sony-published, excellent cartoon-mascot games on the PlayStation 2—among Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper—though did it set the world on fire, even a little bit? Did any of those series become household names? I don't reckon so. I reckon Angry Birds won that battle.

Jak and Daxter was a weird little Banjo-Kazooie-like, which was itself a Super Mario 64-like. Jak and Daxter was the video game equivalent of a Saturday morning cartoon. Jak II was a cartoon they'd maybe play on Saturday afternoon at around two-thirty.

Jak II is the PlayStation 2.

It's got guns and cars and hover-bikes and a hovering skateboard that can grind up rails. It's got a massive, living, breathing city. It's got alternate French, German, Italian, Korean, and Japanese voice tracks. It's got hours upon hours of voice acting. It's got wacky writing. It's got a huge plot. The hover skateboard feels amazing—like Tony Hawk shaking hands with Sonic the Hedgehog before hugging Super Mario. One can't overestimate the involvement of Hirokazu Yasuhara, game and level designer of the original Sonic The Hedgehog games.

Again—this was a time when people were just starting to wonder what the "Citizen Kane" of games would look like. Here was the spark of a Saturday morning cartoon, captured sublimely, possessive of the size and scope and verve of a Final Fantasy and the virtuoso of a Super Mario, and though financially successful, oh, how it went critically un-screamed at.

With an enormous budget comes great gameplay variety, and so Jak II is home to some still-mind-rending action set-pieces.

You can get all three Jak games in one beautiful high-definition package for your PlayStation 3 for 20 darn dollars, man. Let me warn you, though: the game is crazy-harder than it looks like it'd be. You'll be a superhero by the time you're done. (And when you're done, check out Jak 3, home of possibly The Greatest Plot Twist in games. And also superlative dune buggy physics.)

Noi

My Jak II review:

Pros:
Cutscene model animation blows every other Sony platformer mascot's animations out of the water.

Cons:
What is level design?
What are checkpoints?
What is weapon variety?
What is decent movement speed?
What are decent minigames?
What's a good game?

Score: 9 out of 10

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did Tim Rogers and Dave Halverson have lunch once?

"Sonic the Hedgehog literally has everything: platforming - some of it amid situations you simply will not believe - high speed chases, close quarters combat, multiple vehicles, flying, speed zones, character customization, real lite cinemas (skillfully acted - this is Sega's best localization to date), beautiful CG, telekinesis, RPG elements, open-world exploration, rail-grinding, rampant diversity, epic bosses, a fantastic soundtrack, a beautiful princess to save - you actually spend a level carrying her - and next-gen visuals that make you happy to be alive. You simply can't ask for more out of an action game. Mission accomplished. Sonic is born anew"

Dave Halverson
Play Magazine, 9.5/10

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hold JC responsible for making me go to Kotaku to fish up the time Tim Rogers talked about his Final Fantasy-esque hair and how Sonic inspired what kind of colours he liked in guitars. I re-read it and didn't even want to post it here anymore.

because oh my god how could someone be so obnoxious and full of themselves

it could be a joke article but then again it's him

My Jak II review:

Pros:
Cutscene model animation blows every other Sony platformer mascot's animations out of the water.

Cons:
What is level design?
What are checkpoints?
What is weapon variety?
What is decent movement speed?
What are decent minigames?
What's a good game?

Score: 9 out of 10
Ah, the good ol' Newgrounds.com rating scale.

Those Jak 2 reviews are all filthy lies, next time someone wants to attack video game journalism I should bring those clearly bribed scores in.

qq more

It's really his tone and post construction. Like, he's really holding back his attitude in general, and it's affected his general style, syntax, and semantics in general. Especially compared to before.

It's like he's subconsciously walking on eggshells!
KuGsj.gif

i am dont know what you talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom