• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember if the manual made it clear whether or not Tails' flight could be used offensively, but either way, that boss was the first time I learned of it.

If Tails flight can be used offensively then I just learned something new, I was suspicious of such things at one point in Sonic4 Ep2 but chalked it up to a glitchy moment.
On that note I totally had Sonic phase through a spiked bubble in marble garden, about time these glitches helped me out as opposed to suffering crush deaths from nothing in the finger fighting form of the Death Egg boss last time I played the game.

BlackJace

Aw man did I miss a poll?

If it's still active....

Never see again
-Babylon Rogues
-Cream
-Charmy
-Silver
-Big
-Omega

Limited exposure
-Shadow
-Amy
-Vector
-Espio

Nert

Aw man did I miss a poll?

Oh darn, I suppose that I did, too.

I remember talking about this before, but my reason for hating most of Sonic's shitty friends is that you're no longer doing fun stuff when most of them show up. This derives from players either having to engage in gameplay that is less fun than Sonic's (including fishing, emerald digging, terrible vehicles segments, or whatever) or watch nonsensical cut scenes. If what you're actually doing is still fun, the only bar Sonic's friends would have to clear to not be shitty is to not have shitty designs (Rogue doesn't pass).

Unfortunately, the friends are used for padding out the core game with tedious filler activities or dumb story beats. I'd rather run through more gorgeous environments like Rooftop Run than hear about what our good friend Charmy is up to, but it's easier for the developers to write a couple of lines for Charmy than it is for them to create another level, so that's how time gets filled : /

So with those low, low standards,

1) Keep: "Sonic clone characters" (Blaze, Tails and Knuckles from the Genesis games) that have almost identical gameplay with minor twists, similar to the cast of Super Mario Bros. 2

2) Toss out: Everyone else, especially the loquacious human characters that you never play as anyways

1) Keep: "Sonic clone characters" (Blaze, Tails and Knuckles from the Genesis games) that have almost identical gameplay with minor twists, similar to the cast of Super Mario Bros. 2

Agree, except for the exact clones, like Shadow. Wait, he's probably the only one. Still, get rid of him.

If it was up to me to pick who to keep and toss out in Sonic... hm.

Keep: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Blaze, Metal Sonic, Eggman
Occasionally reference: Classic Vector, Espio, Big the Cat
Toss out: Everyone else

Yes, I'd keep Big the Cat. It really depends on how he's used, really. If he's there purely for occasional comic relief, it's great. It's when they try and make him "part of the team!" that problems arise.

I also like the concept of Vector, but not the execution. It's primarily his goofy beefmuscle design from Sonic Heroes where his head is part of his body and he's got stupid hip-hop chains. I like tall, lanky Vector, with the now hilariously outdated walkman. Espio's not the greatest, given everything he's ever done since Sonic Heroes can be summed up with the dialog, "I'm a ninja", but Vex needs somebody else from Chaotix to keep him company, right?

I also think that if they keep trying to put plot in Sonic games, maybe there's something to be explored regarding Amy being jealous of Blaze but Blaze being completely oblivious as to why. That would be an amusing adversarial element, I think.

Zen

Banned
Keep: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnick, Amy, Robotnick's robot assistant, Blaze
Occasional nod:

Shadow (Had they not fucked it up, he could have had his own infrequent side series, retaining Rouge, and the Robot)
Metal Sonic (when appropriate to the game/plot, he should be the Vile to Sonic's MegaMan X anyway)
Big the Cat
Silver (Maybe? He added another dimension to things)

TheOGB

Banned
Holy shit it's Crash Bandi-- oh dammit Owl

also calling it now, you are looking at the new trollface

Edit: Jesus Knuckles looks like a monster in that second pic

BlackJace

So I picked up Sonic Battle again. It was fun. Reeeeally fun. Making a sequel for 3DS and/or Vita would really be nice.

The formula the game had was simple, yet very fun to play. Out of all the companies besides Nintendo, I think Sega really struck close to the Smash formula.

Did anyone else like Battle? Would you want a sequel?

Sonic Battle was pretty great, it just got cheaply difficult after a point. There's a specific fight, as I recall, where you're Rouge against Amy and Sonic that marks the tipping point where the A.I. starts being too smart for its own good and I had to start cheesing their attack patterns.

Protip:
The game works off of a system of three attack types as I recall, and if you spam one enough it'll block that attack type 100% of the time and NEVER block one of the other two. Spam until 100% block, find the one that connects, spam until 100% block, repeat. Alternatively, Rouge has this glide kick sort of thing that you can use to hover just out of range of your opponent while still being able to mount an offensive.

BlackJace

Sonic Battle was pretty great, it just got cheaply difficult after a point. There's a specific fight, as I recall, where you're Rouge against Amy and Sonic that marks the tipping point where the A.I. starts being too smart for its own good and I had to start cheesing their attack patterns.

Protip:
The game works off of a system of three attack types as I recall, and if you spam one enough it'll block that attack type 100% of the time and NEVER block one of the other two. Spam until 100% block, find the one that connects, spam until 100% block, repeat. Alternatively, Rouge has this glide kick sort of thing that you can use to hover just out of range of your opponent while still being able to mount an offensive.

Holy shit, some of the fights are ridiculously cheap.
At the end of Emerl's story, you had to fight Shadow and Sonic ganging up on you. To this day I don't know how I beat it. The AI had an eerily sharp sense of when to block, and always landed perfect combos, including the follow-up slam. Sometimes I found myself getting juggled to death by Sonic because he kept spamming his axe-kick. SO frustrating. Shadow's slippery movement always caught me off guard and I found his heavy attack waaay too strong. I think the only way I beat them was because I equipped an Ultimate skill on Emerl.

BHZ Mayor

How about they make a game starring classic Sonic and introduce a child version of Silver. At the end, they use the Chaos Emeralds to combine bodies and become "Sonver."

Gravijah

oh god friends help me decide if i want to buy a vita today from wal mart, it's the last day for the 50 dollar gc.

pros:
money to spend on a 32gb memstick
get a vita today

cons:
not white

;((((((

oh god friends help me decide if i want to buy a vita today from wal mart, it's the last day for the 50 dollar gc.
If you get it now, you're going to regret not getting white.

You're going to be staring at black gloss for the rest of your Vita's life
which'll be about 3-4 months, with the dying and all ;)

BlackJace

pros:
get a vita today

cons:
not white

;((((((

I wouldn't even take a look at the Vita until Sony starts showing interest in the thing. That conference showing was abysmal.

pros:
get a vita today

cons:
not white

;((((((

Don't do it man. I know you probably want to get P4G but it's not worth it.

Gravijah

fwiw, if i don't buy a vita today, i will be buying the crystal white version. no doubt about it.

i'm just trying to figure out if the 50 dollar discount is worth it to settle for a black.

fwiw, if i don't buy a vita today, i will be buying the crystal white version. no doubt about it.

i'm just trying to figure out if the 50 dollar discount is worth it to settle for a black.
Nah, I'd expect better deals to come. Plus, if you'll wait, you'll probably find better games to spend 50bux on.

<3 Sonic Adventure

edit: hahahahaha
tumblr_m5cpmqsDD71rr2g16o10_1280.png

oh my god

tumblr_m5cpmqsDD71rr2g16o2_1280.png

oh no!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh God...

Gravijah said:

Wait until Christmas or that day when you Americans rush to stores in droves for discounts!

The white Vita looks soooo much better than the black one. I spent a few minutes cleaning by black Vita yesterday. At least if you get a white one, it won't look like a fingerprint magnet.

OMG Aero said:
Real talk: Orbot is better then both of those ever were.
This is the truth. Keep Cubot and Orbot around forever.

Kokonoe

Banned
Voting is not over. I'll finish tallying the votes in a bit.

By the way, those Dreamcast textures are kinda bad. Definitely prefer the DX ones.
Although I miss how when you held the light speed dash, when you jumped the entire sphere would have the aura around you in the Dreamcast.

In DX it's like a wheel.

SA1's over exaggerated faces is what makes it special, kind of wish sonic generations or colours had a few moments like that instead of being more serious.

It's funny how the dialogue compares to the Japanese version for certain parts.

Speaking of Japanese dialogue, did anyone go through and work out which parts of the Japanese dub of Generations don't match the English, and translate what they say? I know there's no "Robotnik" comment during the lead-up to Time Eater, and in the ending, Tails is asking something about the Tornado instead of about where Sonic keeps his rings. Also, when the camera is zooming out on the two Eggman first fighting in White Space, you can hear them talking instead of mutely pantomiming. Pretty sure the "trying to forget it" part was different as well.

Yes, I'd keep Big the Cat. It really depends on how he's used, really. If he's there purely for occasional comic relief, it's great. It's when they try and make him "part of the team!" that problems arise.

Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast handled it perfectly. It was like a parody of SA1, how he keeps showing up at important events without any significant involvement. So they just stuck him in zany parts of the levels, half of the time in peril, and they even made him an easter egg in cinemas. Then for the Gamecube version, they yanked most of those out. They even replaced him in multiplayer (Dr. Eggbig!), so there was clearly some decision made about him.

And then they stuck him prominently in Sonic Heroes anyway?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speaking of Japanese dialogue, did anyone go through and work out which parts of the Japanese dub of Generations don't match the English, and translate what they say? I know there's no "Robotnik" comment during the lead-up to Time Eater, and in the ending, Tails is asking something about the Tornado instead of about where Sonic keeps his rings. Also, when the camera is zooming out on the two Eggman first fighting in White Space, you can hear them talking instead of mutely pantomiming. Pretty sure the "trying to forget it" part was different as well.
Yep! That joke's different. I can't remember the Tornado scene or the part after it, though. It's been a while, and I've only done that part in Japanese once since I like the English take on it better.

For that "Dr. Robotnik!/I don't go by that anymore" scene, there is no joke. Tails just says, "There are two Eggmans?!" Classic Eggman just says "Surprising, isn't it? :D" and that he'll let Future Eggman explain what happened. Really boring.

I think they call Sonic an annoying little needlemouse as well. And Sonic asks him if there's something wrong with his moustache when Eggman says that he'll take Sonic down once and for all.

Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast handled it perfectly. It was like a parody of SA1, how he keeps showing up at important events without any significant involvement. So they just stuck him in zany parts of the levels, half of the time in peril, and they even made him an easter egg in cinemas.

My absolute favorite Big cameo in SA2 was the one during that one important scene with Shadow and Amy before the Biolizard boss fight, where you see him quickly run by in panic at the beginning of the scene. :lol

I think you had to hold down a button combination for that to trigger, too.

Schala: Cheers. I figured the Japanese dub was a little dryer, since the game was written for English first.

My absolute favorite Big cameo in SA2 was the one during that one important scene with Shadow and Amy before the Biolizard boss fight, where you see him quickly run by in panic at the beginning of the scene. :lol

I think you had to hold down a button combination for that to trigger, too.

There's one during the Dark Ending, where Eggman's maniacally laughing at his perceived victory. You can activate Big so he's sitting on the edge of the raised platform in the computer core, causally fishing over the side. This would be on the ARK, in space, of course...

TheOGB

Banned
I always liked how hilariously subtle The White of Sky was compared to the rest of the soundtrack.

Oh yeah, missed out on a Sonic Battle lovefest earlier. Shit was the bomb, make another and whatnot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Sonic Battle was fun. I really liked the spritework in that game.

And as an aside, my friends don't understand how compelling docfuture's Sonic 2 speedrun is. They think it's creepy. :|

Should've linked the Sonic 1 Easy Mode video instead.

Kokonoe

Banned
There's a difference between playing Sonic Battle, and beating Sonic Battle.

Beating Sonic Battle isn't that fun, but it's an alright game. They have some absurd challenges in the game, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom