• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
The best part about when they announced Shadow the Hedgehog is that they started with a trailer of all the Sonic games making you think an awesome new Sonic game was coming, then BANG BANG BANG here's Shadow with a gun.
It was a fucking great troll by Sega.

Yes it was. Those jerks! lol

EDIT: I just rewatched it. ENTER THE SHADOWY WORLD. So bad.

If were talking about Shadow, I think that you should know that Our Beloved Pele The Beloved Dog importer has recreated Sky Troops in Generations.

EDIT: Added the more recent release.

I've been paying attention to this since he started working on it. Impressive stuff as usual. The modern remix is awesome as well. Has anyone heard the classic remix of Sky Troops made by the same guy?

Kokonoe

Banned
I bet that Shadow trailer would have dubstep if it was made now.

Anyways, I finally purchased Sonic & The Black Knight and I repurchased the Secret Rings.
Time to experience something new, and experience something I considered terrible again.

Is anyone here getting Sega Racing day one?

The upshot is that it bombed hard enough that there's no threat of Sega making another character-specific spinoff ever again.
The downshot of that is that we'll never get another Tails Adventures. I love that game, slow-paced though it is. :(

Iizuka said:
Shadow is a true rebel and is extremely mysterious. From the beginning, people have questioned whether Shadow is good or evil.
Uh, no? From the beginning, there wasn't any doubt: he was evil. Period. Anyone who played SA2 could tell you that. He had a change of heart at the end of the game, sure, but only at the very end, and all the way up to that he was a villain through and through.

Iizuka said:
We wanted to expand the Sonic franchise by offering a more mature game
And this was a stupid decision. Sadly, it's one that I've noticed being taken by several companies these days. Are we in another "Dark Age" (the comic book one, not the literal Dark Ages) in the video game industry? Did Tomb Raider and Star Wars really need to be made dark and "mature" for no apparent reason?

Also, why am I criticizing interviews from 2004, Jesus

Not sure about day one, but I enjoy the first one enough to know I'll definitely buy the sequel at some point.

If Ristar, Vectorman and/or a Streets of Rage character somehow end up playable, then it'll become a day one purchase.

If Ecco the Dolphin is in there, you bet your ass I'm gettin' it. The image of Ecco driving a car and doing Dolphin Flips in the air on big jumps will never not be funny to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He's Trunks. All the kids love Trunks.

edit: Here's the bit I was thinking of.

http://www.abload.de/img/sth2006script_silverqrapw.png[img]

Straight from the official script's Excel workbook.[/QUOTE]
I thought all the kids loved Vegeta. Or Goku. Or something. Though my first DBZ action figure was of Trunks so maybe you've got a point.

The whole Sonic series seems to be based on DBZ anyway. Sonic going SSJ, then going SSJ2, Robotnik's Pilaf or the RR Army, Tails is Krillin, Shadow's Vegeta, I don't know who Knuckles is anymore, etc.

[quote="Kokonoe, post: 38642394"]Is anyone here getting Sega Racing day one?[/QUOTE]
Not sure about day one, but I'm definitely going to get it. Still not sure which platform(s) I want to get it on. The news about Danica Patrick was kind of a turn-off, though. But Vyse somewhat balances it. Wanna see who else will be on the roster.

Aww, I want a new Skies of Arcadia game now.

Kokonoe

Banned
I thought all the kids loved Vegeta. Or Goku. Or something. Though my first DBZ action figure was of Trunks so maybe you've got a point.

The whole Sonic series seems to be based on DBZ anyway. Sonic going SSJ, then going SSJ2, Robotnik's Pilaf or the RR Army, Tails is Krillin, Shadow's Vegeta, I don't know who Knuckles is anymore, etc.

I was thinking he was Piccolo, but maybe he is Tien. Although he was green in the comics..

Not sure about day one, but I'm definitely going to get it. Still not sure which platform(s) I want to get it on. The news about Danica Patrick was kind of a turn-off, though. But Vyse somewhat balances it. Wanna see who else will be on the roster.

Aww, I want a new Skies of Arcadia game now.

Well, if people get it on PC I suppose we could setup a Steam group. Although I'm not so sure SonicGAF consists of a lot of PC gamers.

I think they could fix up the character and the controls to be interesting enough, the potential is there for some interesting gameplay.

oh god please dont kill me

Even still, I'd like to see Sonic Team get Tails' and Knuckles' gameplay right first. It would be the perfect 3D Sonic, and the sequel to S3&K everyone wants.
If they took the Werehog gameplay, removed some of the grind-heavy elements and sped it up a bit more, they'd have a good foundation for Knuckles.

I liked playing as Tails in Sonic Adventure but I realize that's boring.

TheOGB

Banned
The Sonic, Shadow and Silver/Goku, Vegeta and Trunks dynamic is pretty hilarious though. If only because of how directly similar and poorly carried out the former is compared to the latter (honestly, it started out okay, and they could've gotten away with it too).

I was thinking he was Piccolo, but maybe he is Tien. Although he was green in the comics.
He got demoted.

I fucking hated Vegetta. He was a twat and an arse. Bulma was too good for him.
Vegeta was, like, the best character. That's why Shadow being his equivalent is so sad.

Because just like Vegeta, he was better off dead. (Freiza saga/end of SA2)

Sega needs to stop ripping off DBZ, even if it is a good source to rip off :V

Poor Froggy! :(
they'll meet again one day..
BIG-THE-CAT.jpg

R.I.P.

Kokonoe

Banned
Okay, it's time to get something out of the way.

If you want, I'd like you list the characters in Sonic you think are bad(no super forms because they are same character). I'm talking about individual separate entities, and perhaps a brief summary of why you do.

Big the Cat was one of the worst Sonic characters of all-time. He had a stupid ass character design, an annoying voice, some of the most boring gameplay in the series, and they haven't done anything with him since SA1. He didn't even get a cameo in Generations!

Nothing of value was lost today.

Rest in peace, you fat ol' bastard

qq more

Amy - Annoying voice. Annoying personality. Annoying everything. I hate her. And her gameplay tends to be too slow and sucky.

Shadow - I actually liked him at first (I was just a kid) but then he came back and got really annoying. MARIA MARIA MARIA. Also he's all angst and edgy. I hate that. In retrospect, he wasn't cool in sa2 either.

Silver - Man... is there anything seriously redeemable about him? "It's no use! Take this!"

Rouge - Do I really need to say anything here?

Cream - See: Amy, but she is at least a playable character.

Vector - FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM

Charmy - Arghhh. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Elise - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kokonoe

Banned
I think it would be easier if I made of list of Sonic characters I actually like

I'm curious to know who exactly the "bad friends" are. Everyone has their own opinion, but I'd like to see a bunch of the opinions so I can get a clearer view. When I can locate what I wrote on another forum, I'll post the characters I dislike as well.

J@hranimo

Banned

Yeah I most definitely will. If I don't have it on Wii U then I may just get it for 360. The first one despite some issues was awesome.

If you want, I'd like you list the characters in Sonic you think are bad(no super forms because they are same character). I'm talking about individual separate entities, and perhaps a brief summary of why you do.

I really hate how they did Blaze in 06. She was like an alternate universe character with a different personality and backstory and then they just off her. It really annoys me.

Now that I think about it...the only character I really disliked greatly WAS Big. lol. Just a bumbling idiot who had an awesome theme in SA1.

Lijik

Amy - Annoying voice. Annoying personality. Annoying everything. I hate her. And her gameplay tends to be too slow and sucky.

Shadow - I actually liked him at first (I was just a kid) but then he came back and got really annoying. MARIA MARIA MARIA. Also he's all angst and edgy. I hate that. In retrospect, he wasn't cool in sa2 either.

Silver - Man... is there anything seriously redeemable about him? "It's no use! Take this!"

Rouge - Do I really need to say anything here?

Cream - See: Amy, but she is at least a playable character.

Vector - FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM

Charmy - Arghhh. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Elise - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Remove Vector and Cream, add Marine and Omege heres my list with essentially the same reasoning
Cream's grinding animation saves her from the scrap heap for me and current Vector is so cheesy that I love it.

TheOGB

Banned
IMPORTANT EDIT: BRING BACK BARK THE FUCKING POLAR BEAR. MAYBE MIGHTY AND FANG/NACK. BUT DEFINITELY BARK. COMPETENT, COLD, BIG BADASS BARK. FUCK YEAH.

I share this sentiment

Add Marine and the Riders trio to this, and this is basically my list.
Riders trio, yes. But for some reason, I just really like Marine. I want to see what happens now that she's not AS annoying.
but I still found her fun most of the time

What's crazier is that was my April Fools joke on Sonic Stadium and I didn't even know it was true at the time.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/04/sonic-team-to-no-longer-use-big-the-cat/
IT'S YOUR FAULT

YOU KILLED BIG

Sciz

In order of introduction:

The Chaotix in general: Pure filler. Vector had a couple of amusing lines in Heroes, and that's the bulk of what they've contributed to the games. They weren't differentiated from each other terribly well even in their own game, and have no real potential. Espio's got the whole stealth angle, but then when the hell would you ever need stealth in a Sonic game? Better character designs than some of the other additions to the series, though.

Shadow: Dumb design, boring personality, unoriginal abilities. Not awful in contexts where his chaos powers are focused on more heavily, but then that just leads to a more brawling, action-focused gameplay style that doesn't jive with the rest of the series. Has no reason to appear on a regular basis.

RogueRouge: Pointless. Thematically and cosmetically out of place, no unique abilities, and her treasure hunter angle just keeps Nack from ever coming back, who made for a better side villain in a variety of ways. Mostly a backup character for Shadow post-SA2. Having her as a friend in Generations felt exceedingly weird.

Omochao: Kill it with fire.

Cream: Designed as a backup character for Amy and Big, which says it all right there. Continues to exist solely to be cute. When playable, her abilities are redundant with Tails. Is even less plausible as a robot fighter than the rest of the cast.

Silver: Dumb design, awkward gameplay that doesn't fit in with the series, bland personality. His continued presence is a complete and total mystery given how 06's plot wrapped up.

Flawed or limited-use, but not bad:

Amy: Needs better writing, badly. Character design is fine, plot niche is fine, and even her gameplay is periodically interesting, by which I mean she makes Advance 1 tolerable. But they go out of their way to have her be annoying to Sonic, and in turn is annoying to the player as well. Go back to the somewhat toned down, independent personality she had in SA1, please. Current VA is also awful.

Big: Not actually a bad character, just handled badly. He's great comic relief when he's on the sidelines being oblivious to everything around him like the Sonic equivalent of Inspector Gadget (SA1, SatSR journal entries), but terribly uninteresting as a primary character (Heroes, basically everything else).

Omega: If they have to keep a brawler-type character around, at least make it the kickass robot with an amusing love of high ordinance. Makes for a better robot out of control than Metal Sonic's occasional treachery, and he keeps the basic E-series design alive without resurrecting Gamma. I'm also going to quietly ignore all of his appearances outside of Heroes, as should Sega. What the hell were they going for in '06, honestly.

Blaze: Serves as something of a Knuckles alternative, for when dragging him in doesn't make much sense. Being paired up with Silver repeatedly is chipping away at that. Knock it off, Sega. Female representation with a decent design, and it doesn't hurt anything to revisit her setting once in a while. Use sparingly.

The Babylon Rogues: Alien genie birds. Thankfully more or less confined to their own subseries, and even there they've managed to stay hostile instead of switching sides like every other new rivals ever. Won't be missed if they're never seen again, but they're a rare case of Sega showing a little sense in character usage.

Anyone else is either fine (keep Orbot and Cubot forever) or already pretty niche. All of these can hang around in the comics where they don't have to be playable and a good writer can mold them into something likeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom