• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Remove Vector and Cream, add Marine and Omege heres my list with essentially the same reasoning
Cream's grinding animation saves her from the scrap heap for me and current Vector is so cheesy that I love it.

Vector of the old is great

Vector of the new is terrible. I should of have said Modern Vector

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Damn, Sciz pretty much listed mine and had similar reasons.

I like Blaze. She doesn't seem like a bad character in general, so I don't mind seeing her around.

And we don't need anyone like Elise ever again.

Amy: Needs better writing, badly. Character design is fine, plot niche is fine, and even her gameplay is periodically interesting, by which I mean she makes Advance 1 tolerable. But they go out of their way to have her be annoying to Sonic, and in turn is annoying to the player as well. Go back to the somewhat toned down, independent personality she had in SA1, please. Current VA is also awful.
Yeah, her writing in general led to Aeana's favourite dialogue sequence in Sonic Chronicles since I guess they wanted to be consistent:

IeEJ3.png

Aw, shit, speaking of Amy, I completely forgot to post what I thought of #236! :(

And agree with the sentiment that if you're not reading Sonic Universe by now, start reading it. It's pretty darn good.

Killl them
Team Babylon: All of them. They're a derivative of a derivative (Rouge-Knuckles-Sonic). On top of that, their voices are the most grating in the entire franchise.

Cream: I don't loathe her really, but her existence doesn't make sense to me, when Tikal could have easily filled her role.

Charmy Bee: Stereotypical talkative annoying small thing. Sonic's reaction to him in Generations was perfect.

Neo Metal Sonic: This monstrosity. Just look at him.

On Probation
Silver: Like I said earlier, if he was cleaned up a bit as a character and gameplay, you could get some interesting mileage out of him. It helps that his gameplay brings a whole new element to the series. It doesn't help he debuted in a flaming pile.

Shadow:
I did enjoy his mythos when I was younger, and skipped out on his very own game, so I might not hate him as much as others. 06 moved him in a direction of melee combat and such, giving him a more unique take on gameplay, versus just being an emo carbon copy of Sonic. Ironically he didn't talk much in 06, so I can't say he was very irritating there either. I'm not really sure why he exists now anyway, he's like a purgatory of personality at the moment.

Kokonoe

Banned
Neo Metal Sonic isn't Sonic's friend or a playable character.

Is there any dislike for Gamma? It appears to be a fan favorite. (I like Gamma myself.)

1. Silver
I wrote something much better before, but I cannot locate it. I'll just quote something else I wrote about a similar subject.

The issue with Silver is that the last major Sonic game (Adventure 2) already added a more edgier Hedgehog main character. Later on that same Hedgehog got his own game which was absolutely terrible. Now the point is that it's not that he had a bad game, but why continue making edgy main Hedgehog characters? Shadow was pushing it already, but it actually ended up turning decent once you played the game. Silver is just unwanted for so many different reasons and he doesn't bring anything new to the table.

My issues with Silver is the lack of control the character has, and that seems like an overpowered fan character. Shadow is getting there too, and I feel the Shadow The Hedgehog game should have never happened. All in all 06 never happened technically, but to SEGA, 2006 never happened in reality as they tried to get rid of the game from stores and fail to bring it up when they are interviewed about worse Sonic games.

I think it's also the idea is that these characters really just put a damper on any chance Sonic has of having a decent story. They are extremes instead of being balanced.

2. Chip
Do not like the voice or the design. It seems so out of place for a Sonic character. I'm not a Tails fan at all, but I would take him or Omochao any day over this character as a Sonic companion.
3. Charmy
It really seems like a pointless character with no real attributes to do much of anything interesting at all.
4. Marine
Another character added for almost no reason. I suppose the character's lack of intelligence combined with her personality isn't too charming.

All other characters in the series besides these 4 i'm fine with.

-edit-

Seeing these lists made me realize it's actually worse than I thought it was. I suppose it would be easier to ask what characters you do consider worthwhile for the Sonic franchise.
By worthwhile, the top ones.

TheOGB

Banned
Amy is one of those cases where the 4kids VA was actually appropriate. Shadow, hilariously enough, is another. Shadow himself, though...

Fuck the Riders birds. Get rid of em.
Chaotix I could do without, I suppose. I feel like they could stick around if they were handled better. Have them be more focused (Knuckles' homies, Sonic's acquaintences or something), less frequent, and not "herp derp" silly.
I don't want Knuckles to die but for the love of god, Sega, start using the poor bastard right. Hell this whole issue of shitty friends would be moot if you knew how to use these fuckers right.\

EDIT: Holy shit guys, Sonic Underground reruns are gonna start showing on Disney XD

Kokonoe

Banned
Guess I'll quote this too since that mention of Sonic Underground.

I always thought this was hilarious and it also didn't make sense.

U65zm.jpg

9PPW8.jpg

It's like, the guy could've stopped him right there and ended everything.
He even warned Dr. Robotnik that "his days are numbered". Why would he warn Robotnik? So terrible.

I could never stand the designs of Sonic Underground or AoStH. So unappealing. I hate how blobby Eggman looks.

Seeing some concept art for AoStH made me at least admire what they were trying to go for, at least. I think being a weekday show and not having as big of a budget got in the way, though. You can't tell me this character sheet doesn't make you smile:

MAeDn.jpg

c2fi2.jpg

In particular, the "Draw expressively, not well" is what really makes you look at the series under a new light. Their hearts were in the right place.

Kokonoe

Banned
Big The Cat still has a chance for Sega Racing after all.

SumoRex said:
You guys! LoL The retirement statement is meaningless for Transformed, many of our roster are currently "retired". That's actually a good reason to consider them!
I'm not suggesting he's in OR out. Just that the thread title is based on flawed logic..

SonicGAF's list of bad Sonic friends

Silver 5
Cream 5
Rouge 4
Shadow 4
Vector 4
Charmy 4
Elise 4
Marine 3
Riders Birds 3
Omochao 2
Amy 2
Espio 2
Chip 1
Omega 1

I believe I tallied everyone correctly, but the organization of people's posts may have threw me off.

Silver 5
Cream 5
Rouge 4
Shadow 4
Vector 4
Charmy 4
Elise 4
Marine 3
Riders Birds 3
Omochao 2
Amy 2
Espio 2
Chip 1
Omega 1

I believe I tallied everyone correctly, but the organization of people's posts may have threw me off.
*looks for Gamma*

Good. Nobody will die.

haha, nobody even listed Big! Killed off for nothing :p

Seeing some concept art for AoStH made me at least admire what they were trying to go for, at least. I think being a weekday show and not having as big of a budget got in the way, though. You can't tell me this character sheet doesn't make you smile:
In particular, the "Draw expressively, not well" is what really makes you look at the series under a new light. Their hearts were in the right place.
That's true, their approach definitely had good intents. I suppose my criticism takes into account what the source material looks like compared to what we got.

Cream 5
Vector 4
I'm sad now.

Anyway to my suck list.

Babylon Rogues: Mapping birds to the Sonic model seems to leave them without wings, this bothers me.

Team Dark: Wasonic should have stayed dead, Rogue's design is pretty bad on the whole, Omega is a poor mans Gamma.

Silver: While I don't mind the design that much (GLOVES and funky chest hair) or the psychic power angle it's yet another hedgehog which just feels so uninspired, better than shadow though.

And yeah I like Team Chaotix and Cream, it's mostly a design thing, Espio is a bit weak but i've always liked the designs of the other 3, plus none of these guys are super serious characters and Vector is an awesome swagtastic Crocodile.
Characters like Chip and Big don't feature enough to warrant my ire.

Bring Back: Mighty the Armadillo!

Pietepiet

Why all the Big hate? He's a pretty well designed character. Very recognizable, great cat-like personality traits (being a lazy fuck, loving fish, not giving a damn about anything). I love Big.

Why all the Big hate? He's a pretty well designed character. Very recognizable, great cat-like personality traits (being a lazy fuck, loving fish, not giving a damn about anything). I love Big.

I actually like the design since it's not cut from the same cloth as everyone else but his overly goofball voice and dialogue and having the weakest stages in SA pretty much kill him for me.

You mean the character who got about a single minute, collectively, of screen time (including the intro), before turning into a giant behemoth of ass, after which he returned to the Sonic CD design?

Of course, his characterization and dialog were ass, too. Case in point: "Long time no see, Sonic, my loathsome copy!"

1) Who talks like that
2) Why the hell would Sonic be the copy when Metal Sonic was explicitly created after Sonic 1?
3) Seriously, who talks like that
4) No, I mean it: who the hell talks like that

You mean the character who got about a single minute, collectively, of screen time (including the intro), before turning into a giant behemoth of ass, after which he returned to the Sonic CD design?

Of course, his characterization and dialog were ass, too. Case in point: "Long time no see, Sonic, my loathsome copy!"

1) Who talks like that
2) Why the hell would Sonic be the copy when Metal Sonic was explicitly created after Sonic 1?
3) Seriously, who talks like that
4) No, I mean it: who the hell talks like that
In Sonic everyone talks like that, well at least the long time no see bit.

Sciz

Cream: I don't loathe her really, but her existence doesn't make sense to me, when Tikal could have easily filled her role.
Tikal had a nice design. But she's dead and should stay dead.

Is there any dislike for Gamma? It appears to be a fan favorite. (I like Gamma myself.)
Gamma is a unique combination of cool design, fun gameplay, poignant story, moving theme music, and the good sense not to overstay his welcome (Shuffle and Battle don't count).

4. Marine
Another character added for almost no reason. I suppose the character's lack of intelligence combined with her personality isn't too charming.
Marine is Cream done right. Small and cute and plot-relevant, and yet not playable for no reason (and not recurring, either). She's got an obnoxious streak, but it's played for laughs and widely acknowledged in-universe to the point where the rest of the cast tells her to bugger off. If more characters had been handled like her, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

Aw, shit, speaking of Amy, I completely forgot to post what I thought of #236! :(
Or SU#40. Leaving me out to dry here. D:

In Sonic everyone talks like that, well at least the long time no see bit.
"Long time no see" gets used a lot, yes, but that wasn't what I took issue with. Who the hell tacks "my loathsome copy" onto a sentence like an afterthought? If you want to insult people, surely there are more natural phrases you can use.

Kokonoe

Banned
If Big IS in the game, I ain't getting it. Danica is bad enough.
There isn't any character you like so far I'm guessing?

"Long time no see" gets used a lot, yes, but that wasn't what I took issue with. Who the hell tacks "my loathsome copy" onto a sentence like an afterthought? If you want to insult people, surely there are more natural phrases you can use.

You have to remember Metal Sonic in that was corrupted in a way. Metal Sonic's personality is always like that, though. Unlike Shadow, all he cares about is beating Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
I was thinking of why there weren't many canine type characters in Sonic games, but then I feel like if there was one they'd eat everyone else

You have to remember Metal Sonic in that was corrupted in a way. Metal Sonic's personality is always like that, though. Unlike Shadow, all he cares about is beating Sonic.
Metal Sonic always thought he was the original and that Sonic was his copy? I get that he wants to fulfill his purpose of beating Sonic, since it's his entire reason for existence (literally; Eggman made him to beat Sonic), but delusional denial of the facts wasn't part of that. (Mostly because he never talked, but still.)

There isn't any character you like so far I'm guessing?

Actually the roster is pretty fucking awesome so far and I can see it being overall sweet if they include all the neater characters of the first game (Opa-Opa, Akira/Jackie, Ryo) and continue making great choices for new characters. (Personally, I want Wonder Boy.)

But shit like Banjo was daft in the first game and this real-life person is even worse, especially given you can't escape her by not buying the 360 version.

The Big thing wasn't really serious

Kokonoe

Banned
This is great.

Actually the roster is pretty fucking awesome so far and I can see it being overall sweet if they include all the neater characters of the first game (Opa-Opa, Akira/Jackie, Ryo) and continue making great choices for new characters. (Personally, I want Wonder Boy.)

But shit like Banjo was daft in the first game and this real-life person is even worse, especially given you can't escape her by not buying the 360 version.

The Big thing wasn't really serious

Well the Nintendo version was suppose to get Kirby, it was more of a third party thing like Sonic in Smash. Danica is strange I agree.

TheOGB

Banned
So I was contemplating hub worlds, side missions, and Colors' challenge mode a minute ago and had an awesome thought: expanded challenge mode.

:O

By expanded, they should not only have a straight playthrough of the main acts of every level, they should have Playlists. Play through all the side mission acts, play through all side mission acts of this kind, make your own level playlist. Blow that shit wide open. If the fun is in replaying the levels, give us a ton of options for how to replay them.

I swear every time I play Sonic 3 & Knuckles I find areas in stages that I never knew existed, and now the marble garden zone theme is grooving around the interior of my head.

Actually this leads me to another point, some time last year my friend who is a surprisingly big Tails fan had us finally start a run of Sonic 3 with the fox himself, but how the hell do you harm the Marble Garden Zone boss? somehow despite the game having like one button and a control pad I didn't stumble across any way to approach Robotnik without the spilling of rings, I bet it's so obvious, can Tails enter a curled state from flight? do I wave those rotor tails in Baldy McNosehair's face? WHY WAS THIS AN ISSUE?!

And regarding TheOGB random idea: Create your own stage playlist could be fun, a way to marathon through generation stages one after the other and skip some bosses and Classic Planet Wisp would be good stuff.

Pretty sure you have to touch the underside of the mech with Tails' well... tails. I remember that taking me a while to figure out as a kid.

Pretty sure you have to touch the underside of the mech with Tails' well... tails. I remember that taking me a while to figure out as a kid.

That's pretty crafty of them, well one day I shall return to liberate Marble Garden as Tails, but yet another Sonic run through takes priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom