• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Correction on your Sonic 3 trivia, Sega1991: S3&K was developed at STI like Sonic 2, the Japanese staff didn't go home until after it wrapped up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
@Blaze/Sega1991: Hahaha, well, you did sound frustrated at points, you know! It's ice cream weather. Get some ice cream. Or a drink. Probably a drink.

Also, Sonic 3&K makes you sound happier in general. :p Edit: Carnival Night apparently invokes your anger.

Sometimes, I guess, stagnation is a fate worse than death for a game musician. Mori's stuff is simply amazing.
You make me want to listen to the Mystic Ark OST again. I love that stuff. I feel as though Mori's rather underrated--he didn't seem to be afraid of adding interesting stuff to the BGM in general even if it displaced the catchiness of it in general (ex: Mystic Ark's Climb! Climb!).

Also, the stuff Enix published back then was so creative in general-- Wonder Project J, the Soul Blazer series, EVO, etc.

I suppose an RPG can work since it can tackle a ton of characters at once. I have no issue with Solo Sonica, but I think there are enough fans that could do to see some of their favorites in the lime light.

I'm thinking that maybe Sonic shouldn't be a part of the main story, although i'm not entirely sure. Mario RPGs work for different reasons then what a Sonic RPG would.
Well, without Sonic, I wonder what the catalyst for the adventure would be. I'd like for it to be contained in the series in general as opposed to introducing a new threat. It doesn't necessarily have to be as carefree as the Mario RPGs.

I would think that Sonic would be an initial draw for a Sonic RPG, but I guess focus could be placed on a different character and he'd be an extra character or something. Plus I want an interesting artstyle out of this. >.>

OMG Aero said:
And let's all take a moment to remember what a fucking great song Reach for the Stars is.
I love Reach for the Stars. Best kind of cheese.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Within the game music community, Mori's less well-known than Sekito, but he's still got more than a few fans. Wonderful work for Mint, Enix, and Almanic.
That's kind of weird considering that Sekito has been doing a lot of stuff for SE lately, so I thought he was more well-known now. I know he worked on a bunch of old Konami licensed stuff like TMNT and Buster's Hidden Treasure, and other stuff like Snatcher and Double Dribble 5-on-5.

I thought Enix-published games' soundtracks truly rivalled the Squaresoft, Falcom, and Konami output back then, to be honest with you.

I'll be the first to admit that I hadn't heard of Sekito until I heard a few of the tracks he arranged in KH: Birth by Sleep. That did lead me to going back through some of his other stuff, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic can totally go to Hidden Palace now, you guys. lol. Welp. They thought of everything, I guess.

Edit: With the way players belittle Tails in general for his silliness and messing things up, you'd wonder if he'd have low self-esteem by now. >.>

Seven Force said:
I'll be the first to admit that I hadn't heard of Sekito until I heard a few of the tracks he arranged in KH: Birth by Sleep. That did lead me to going back through some of his other stuff, though.
Well, I've noticed he's been getting way more work now for SE. He did Brave Fencer Musashi's soundtrack, so I'm a little surprised that people didn't know it was him.

Hey, guys, I've got great news! Some guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who has a stepbrother who has a cousin who has a grandfather who has a brother who has a grandson who has a lawyer who has a gynecologist who has a second cousin who works for Valve totally managed to get some 100% not-even-remotely-fake promotional renders for "Meet the Pyro"! Guess what they found?

2mqmbsh.png

Kokonoe

Banned
I liked Reach for the Stars. Although, a lot of people I discussed it with said they didn't like the autotune. I don't mind autotune myself.

Well, without Sonic, I wonder what the catalyst for the adventure would be. I'd like for it to be contained in the series in general as opposed to introducing a new threat. It doesn't necessarily have to be as carefree as the Mario RPGs.

I would think that Sonic would be an initial draw for a Sonic RPG, but I guess focus could be placed on a different character and he'd be an extra character or something. Plus I want an interesting artstyle out of this. >.>

I think there's enough appeal since it'd be a spinoff game. Luigi has his own fanbase to obtain his own, as does Wario. I think it could work, especially for those that are tired of main character always focusing on Sonic.

They'd just have to focus on a key element for each character and build upon it. You take Sonic out of the game, and you no longer have to worry about "Speed", which seems to cut off a lot Sonic's chances for crossovers.

Now of course a real deal Sonic RPG featuring Sonic would be interesting as well, and they could create some other spinoff title like what I'm talking about. I'd honestly like a story something Adventure 1-esque, just much more detailed and elaborate.

TheOGB

Banned
Hey, guys, I've got great news! Some guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who has a stepbrother who has a cousin who has a grandfather who has a brother who has a grandson who has a lawyer who has a gynecologist who has a second cousin who works for Valve totally managed to get some 100% not-even-remotely-fake promotional renders for "Meet the Pyro"! Guess what they found?

2mqmbsh.png
Pfffffft bahahaha

Well, Happy 21st, Sonic. Guess I'll get frustrated at how long it's been since I played Generations and react to the wrong Rooftop Run to celebrate.

2mqmbsh.png

This is too good

Why isn't it real? WHY?

Might blast through Colors in celebration of Sonic's 21st. Also drew a little picture, maybe I'll throw that online tomorrow. I'm tired.

Colors was awesome because it was the first Sonic game I was excited about since SA2 that didn't horribly crush me as I realized it would suck.

At this point you may want to say "But SA2 sucked!" but I was also 9 when that game came out. That game was fucking awesome as a 9-year-old

Since everyone else is either doing it or planning to do it I spent my afternoon going through Sonic Colours challenge mode, the game is pure fun I tell you, it's pretty much up there with Sonic 3 & Knuckles for me.
Going through the whole game in one sitting has led me to the conclusion that starship carnival is probably the weakest world. A good thing about challenge mode is unlike if you were to start a new file to play through the game you can go through all the stages with all wisps unlocked from the start, which means more FRENZY!

And new found love for the second Planet Wisp theme

And I stand by my point from last month or whatever, the double jump is barely needed.

Emitan

And I stand by my point from last month or whatever, the double jump is barely needed.

Yup. Brought that up in my review. Not really sure why it was there. The second jump is so weak and I can't recall a single point in the game where being able to have two arcs to your jump ever helps you.

Yup. Brought that up in my review. Not really sure why it was there. The second jump is so weak and I can't recall a single point in the game where being able to have two arcs to your jump ever helps you.

I'm not bothered by it actually being in the game, I like it more than the thing from Generations and especially the random momentum giver of Sonic 4.
But yeah it's a bit odd, even the jumps that looked like they may need it are mostly doable without it, I guess the idea is that it's a fail safe for buggering up jumps, except the height gain is barely enough to save you in those situations.

OMG Aero

So I heard the new Crush 40 song Sonic Youth the other day and seriously why wasn't this the Time Eater boss music?
It's pretty much a retrospective of old Sonic theme songs which fits the theme of Generations perfectly, and it fits the boss battle too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I heard the new Crush 40 song Sonic Youth the other day and seriously why wasn't this the Time Eater boss music?
It's pretty much a retrospective of old Sonic theme songs which fits the theme of Generations perfectly, and it fits the boss battle too.
I know, right? When they released the demo and lyrics, I was wondering why they didn't bother to stick it in Generations! It makes complete sense for it to be a Crush 40 Sonic anniversary song. :|

Kokonoe said:
I think there's enough appeal since it'd be a spinoff game. Luigi has his own fanbase to obtain his own, as does Wario. I think it could work, especially for those that are tired of main character always focusing on Sonic.

They'd just have to focus on a key element for each character and build upon it. You take Sonic out of the game, and you no longer have to worry about "Speed", which seems to cut off a lot Sonic's chances for crossovers.

Now of course a real deal Sonic RPG featuring Sonic would be interesting as well, and they could create some other spinoff title like what I'm talking about. I'd honestly like a story something Adventure 1-esque, just much more detailed and elaborate.
I kind of feel like taking Sonic out of the game would decrease the appeal of the game for those who come for Sonic, though. There are people who just want to play as Sonic in the game. I don't necessarily think of Sonic as a speed character because he can compensate for a lack of speed in some instances with shields/elemental shield manipulation and extra attacks like that double jump in Sonic Blast. If we can take advantage of Sonic as an elemental character, that would be neat. Speed doesn't always have to be his game.

And Sonic Adventure-style of storytelling wouldn't be bad at all. Even manipulating the other characters wouldn't be bad for some people because you don't need to platform excessively. I do think Sonic Chronicles did something interesting in that it took advantage of each character's strengths and made them use them on the field. That was nice in a Mystic Quest sort of way (I like Mystic Quest).

If the focus isn't on Sonic, the focus should be on someone close to him like Knuckles or Tails, and then that would serve as some rationalization for the story to remain close to the series, and for Sonic to appear as a cameo playable character should conditions be fulfilled or something. If an RPG like that that is successful, they could put more emphasis on other characters in a sequel or a spinoff.

Malajax

I've only just recently started watching Regular Show (among other things). I have no idea why I've never watched it until now, it's pretty great.

I didn't get the reference until just seeing your post. I just thought it looked cool. Should I buy the shirt anyway?

2mqmbsh.png

All my money! *throws it at the screen*

This would be so amazingly glorious, especially if he was animated, moving around and such.

It also drove me crazy that the Scout has replaceable shoes, which would be perfect for Sonic sneakers, right around the launch of Generations, but nothing. But then I realized, it probably has to do with Sega worried about associating Sonic with an M-rated property, even if subtly. And Eggman features prominently in the Wreck-It Ralph movie coming up.

So we're never going to get our Eggman-driven Pyro, at least officially. ;_;

Edit: I hate "1 a day" t-shirt sites that strictly cut things off after 24 hour. Woot lets you order recent ones for a slightly increased price. I guess you don't want my money TeeFury? Whatever.

Listening through Colors's soundtrack, I've gotta admit, the map themese are really nice. I mean, they're too mellow to work as stage themes, but there are some pretty good compositions there that you only get to hear, like, ten-twenty seconds of while you quickly move from one stage to another. Particularly like Tropical Resort's and Asteroid Coaster's.

It also drove me crazy that the Scout has replaceable shoes, which would be perfect for Sonic sneakers, right around the launch of Generations, but nothing. But then I realized, it probably has to do with Sega worried about associating Sonic with an M-rated property, even if subtly. And Eggman features prominently in the Wreck-It Ralph movie coming up.

So we're never going to get our Eggman-driven Pyro, at least officially. ;_;
Personally, I'd been hoping for Eggman mustaches for the Engineer. It'd make Texas Slim's Dome Shine actually worth something, honestly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I played/watched a little bit of Final Fantasy Sonic X today. I did not like it, no sir. The dialogue is terrible with several spelling and morphological/syntactical errors. I should be a little fairer to it since the first part was made in 2004, but I tried a more recent one out and it didn't stand out that much more outside of having much better presentation and essentially being a turn-based Advent Children (though now that I think about it, I think that would ... kind of fit Sonic in a way. I don't know. The series has always been about doing everything in the most stylish way possible). The recent one I played seemed to have a problem with balancing as well--with the enemy essentially being a complete hit sponge with a lack of challenge (on hard difficulty, mind you).

I'm surprised that people haven't really made a very notable Sonic RPG fangame yet (unless I've been missing out and have been living under a rock). The series--as discussed above--lends itself well to that sort of storytelling.

Listening through Colors's soundtrack, I've gotta admit, the map themese are really nice. I mean, they're too mellow to work as stage themes, but there are some pretty good compositions there that you only get to hear, like, ten-twenty seconds of while you quickly move from one stage to another. Particularly like Tropical Resort's and Asteroid Coaster's.
I'm really glad that they ended up putting a lot of effort into the map screen music as opposed to them being 10-20 second loops which play during level select. It adds to the fact that the Sonic series values its compositions and music in general, I guess, so much so that they put all of it into anything possible, from the level themes to the stage select to the special stages to the boss themes.

MarkusRJR

So for Sonic's 21st anniversary I tossed in Sonic Unleashed. Is it just me or are the controls really slippery and laggy compared to the awesome responsive controls in Generations? I had fond memories of the day time stages and now I don't know what to think. This is exactly like when I put in Sonic Adventure 5 years after I last played it. ;_;

Sciz

There's a reason why the OP has a passionate plea for people to give them a chance instead of glossing over them for the sexier and more popular stage themes.

edit: On that note, ATTN: Beef: The Aquarium Park map theme in the OP is actually a bad upload, kindly replace with www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GmH_vowv4o

edit2: Bleh, broken links. Also replace the following:

Spring Yard Zone (Masa's Demo Ver.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InpUbCzCOlI
Chemical Plant (Masa's Demo Ver.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT2RMWAEUc
Scrambled Egg Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLpUQl3KwU
Prison Island: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNf2GSwAmw
Circus Park: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMe6c2Peh3w

Rlan

Considering SEGA's porting of everything lately, I'm kind of surprised that Colours hasn't gotten a HD port to Games On Demand. Like, just give me some Achievements and HD visuals and I'd gladly play through it again.

I guess with Sonic Adventure 2 coming out in HD at some point this year, Colours might be next? I kind of doubt they'll bring Heroes without substantial visual upgrades to the characters at least, and I'm gonna doubt they'll do a Sonic CD-style remake to any not-XBLA-ized title.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least Europe gets cooler games now. If they finally got an Atlus branch, everything would be awesome for them. Didn't Square-Enix publish Persona 3 in Europe?

You guys get better Nintendo presence, at least.

Rlan said:
Considering SEGA's porting of everything lately, I'm kind of surprised that Colours hasn't gotten a HD port to Games On Demand. Like, just give me some Achievements and HD visuals and I'd gladly play through it again.
Same. I wouldn't be averse to them porting to the HD twins (and PC) at all because--and Keith and Kyle had alluded to this in one of the Colours episodes--it's so odd how people said, "Sonic finally made a comeback" prior to and during Generations' release, but you just had a good Sonic game the previous year in Colours. The problem is that a lot of people are just indifferent to the Wii in general, so the (older) audience isn't there.

But then you look at Sonic Colours' sales in comparison to Generations and then realize that the Wii platform had a bigger fanbase than the HD twins combined. Wonder how it did on PC, then.

I'd definitely play Colours HD.

Yaceka said:
So for Sonic's 21st anniversary I tossed in Sonic Unleashed. Is it just me or are the controls really slippery and laggy compared to the awesome responsive controls in Generations? I had fond memories of the day time stages and now I don't know what to think. This is exactly like when I put in Sonic Adventure 5 years after I last played it. ;_;
And going from Unleashed to Generations feels completely weird too. I'd played Unleashed for the longest time so my muscle memory was accustomed to that. Put in Generations on the weekend and homing attack was suddenly on another button so I ended up boosting into stuff instead of homing/extending a jump. :x

I guess they just ended up tightening up the controls for every game since Unleashed if that's how you're feeling.

At least Europe gets cooler games now. If they finally got an Atlus branch, everything would be awesome for them. Didn't Square-Enix publish Persona 3 in Europe?

You guys get better Nintendo presence, at least.

I sure do value modern NoE a lot more than I did back in the GameCube days. Buying Xenoblade back in August felt like... it felt like success. :p

Square did P4, following a fairly decent performance for P3 (Koei handled that). Came out in early 09, so not too long after the States. After that... nothing. Took forever for P3P to make it here (via GhostLight in the end), Strange Journey is nowhere to be found and we haven't got any MegaTen games on PSN yet. God knows how or when Arena or Golden will come out. (Actually, Aksys will probably handle P4A over here like they do BlazBlue. But still.) Where's Rising Star Games when I need them? :/

It's my birthday, yay

Well, at least you guys have Shinobi. I'd trade every PS2 classic in the US (except God Hand) for that.

Happy bday bro. And I still need to beat God Hand before I splurge another 8 quid on a hard-as-nails cult PS2 classic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I sure do value modern NoE a lot more than I did back in the GameCube days. Buying Xenoblade back in August felt like... it felt like success. :p

Square did P4, following a fairly decent performance for P3 (Koei handled that). Came out in early 09, so not too long after the States. After that... nothing. Took forever for P3P to make it here (via GhostLight in the end), Strange Journey is nowhere to be found and we haven't got any MegaTen games on PSN yet. God knows how or when Arena or Golden will come out. (Actually, Aksys will probably handle P4A over here like they do BlazBlue. But still.) Where's Rising Star Games when I need them? :/
Yeah, you got Another Code: R, and the Tingle game to boot. NoE is best Nintendo. :(

Oh right, I knew SE published one of the Persona games and I forgot which. It really sucks that Europeans have to keep importing Atlus stuff from the States, especially since their European fans seem plentiful. I thought that Atlus would've had a branch over there by now given the size of the audience. Do you all get XSEED's or Aksys's stuff often or not really?

It's my birthday, yay
Happy birthday, Seven Force!! :D

Try to get a massive cake like this (way better constructed than the Sonic cake):

mKOfq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom