• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am now on Episode 4.

It has voice acting. Oh no...

Ha ha. And now I'm imagining a Sonic/Alex Kidd Rpg in the vein of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga... complete with recognition jokes at the expense of Kidd.

"Well hey, aren't you the world-famous Sonic the Hedgehog!?"
"And this must be... um... Big Ear Guy, right?"
That would be the best thing ever. I'd love that! Seriously, Sega has the IPs to draw from, so they could and should use it. It would be nice for a Service Games anniversary or something. >.>

Get the Skies of Arcadia people to do it.

Seven Force said:
The writing is a thing of beauty. I can barely play through the sewer section without busting into laughter.
"Are you fucking kidding me, Balthios? We don't got time for this shit. It's a damn love letter. From a snail."

I won that S-Video modded Genesis, incidentally. Think I might've paid a bit too much for it ($79 + $12 S&H = $91), although it's roughly what buying one separately and then shipping it off to get the mod done would've cost, so eh. Kind of figures that I wasn't the only one who had the bright idea of bidding at the last possible minute. Really glad I didn't go over $100, though, as close as I came; it'd have been really hard to justify that price.

Looking forward to playing Shining in the Darkness for the first time with not-shit video!

Speaking of RPGs, actually, it's a right shame Sega and Camelot aren't exactly on friendly terms right now... Shining Force 4 or a new first-person game like Shining the Holy Ark would be quite excellent. (Okay so this post has nothing to do with Sonic... except it does! Because Camelot was Sonic Software Planning! Ha ha ha loophole ow ow ow stop beating me ow ow ow)

I won that S-Video modded Genesis, incidentally. Think I might've paid a bit too much for it ($79 + $12 S&H = $91), although it's roughly what buying one separately and then shipping it off to get the mod done would've cost, so eh. Kind of figures that I wasn't the only one who had the bright idea of bidding at the last possible minute. Really glad I didn't go over $100, though, as close as I came; it'd have been really hard to justify that price.

Looking forward to playing Shining in the Darkness for the first time with not-shit video!

Speaking of RPGs, actually, it's a right shame Sega and Camelot aren't exactly on friendly terms right now... Shining Force 4 or a new first-person game like Shining the Holy Ark would be quite excellent. (Okay so this post has nothing to do with Sonic... except it does! Because Camelot was Sonic Software Planning! Ha ha ha loophole ow ow ow stop beating me ow ow ow)

Megadrive is still worth good money in my eyes due to it's awesome game collection, but now that you bought up that s-video mod... I want one.

Rlan

Let us continue on our nostalgia travels!

tumblr_m6bv3ftXqZ1rys6fno1_500.png

http://iamtherlan.tumblr.com/post/26067354049/another-version-of-sonic-fan-games-hq-and-a-far

An Alex Kidd/Sonic RPG would be the coolest thing ever, or the janken-est thing ever (in other terms). Alex Kidd on defense and Sonic on offense, you just go platforming around wherever, punching shit and spin-dashing all sorts of things to hell.

It would be rad. Unlike "Furries" Fangames™.

And this is closer to how I remember the site being for the longest time. Although I do remember the earlier theme with the glaring colors and "The Poets II" from Streets of Rage 3 blaring in the background.

For all the flack the "Furry Games" are getting, I only recall there being, like, ten in there compared to the 100+ Sonic ones. IIRC there was some Waffle X game, too, which actually didn't star any furries, but was hosted on SFGHQ and didn't feature any Sonic characters, and thus didn't really fit anywhere else. I recall it being overhead... might've had something to do with sausages? I think it was by the Time Attacked guy? I forget, it was way too long ago.

I like how RAGE (the "Really Amateur Gaming Expo", part of SAGE, the "Sonic Amateur Gaming Expo") is a giant parody of/throwback to the days of the site Rlan is reminding me of. I've entered it before... I actually have a video of my second entry (which won), but I haven't finished putting annotations over it; YouTube keeps failing to automatically save it when I don't want it to and decides that this means I won't be allowed to edit anything until I refresh the page and lose any work I'd done. Gotta love how boneheaded that design is.

I dunno why, but I have real issues seeing Sonic next to other SEGA characters. Even NiGHTS. I feel like all the SEGA series have a similar sort of tone- kinda like Nintendo's do- except for Sonic, who doesn't really fit in with it all.

Or maybe it's just because SEGA characters are all like these video game underdogs right now, except for Sonic von Hedgehog. Eh. IDK. Those SEGAGAGA pics with Sonic are just super weird to me (especially the use of both modern and classic Sonic, years before Generations).

*cough*

We were all young once.
Oh yeah, that's you, isn't it? Heh.

I think I actually created a "fursona" once. It was originally Shadow with his red recolored green, back when I was going to go by "Shadowwing", but then turned to Shadow inside Shadow Man's outfit (from Mega Man 3). I ultimately wound up regularly using neither. I'm rather grateful for that, saved me much embarrassment now that I'm 24 and not 14.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah it gets pretty grating.
Yeah, Sonic especially. But at least the other characters are low enough that I can't really hear them. On episode 6 now. Seems they made the transition to Sonic Battle sprites.

LOL! But Sega still makes Shining games!
Shining Blade
Shining Force Cross
Shining Hearts

(I know it's not the same... ). But I guess Camelot's too busy with Mario sports games and Golden Sun now.

So I'm the sane one here? Gotcha
Nope, you're not alone.

I never did that stuff when I was younger. I was too busy getting mad at the Chao Garden in SA2.

There we go, that's a more accurate assessment.
But yeah I didn't do any of that either which now I think about it is actually kind of odd since I drew quite a bit back then, oh well I lucked out on that account.

Kokonoe

Banned
Anyone here have Sonic plushies?

I have/had the following.
Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, and Big The Cat (Which I gave to someone who really wanted it).

They all came from claw machines.

There we go, that's a more accurate assessment.

:lol

I actually never played the Chao Garden back in the DC days. By the time I found out about GHZ in SA2, I had already moved past it onto other games (I didn't really keep up with gaming news outside of stuff like Gamepro and EGM2). Then when the GCube version came out, I decided to try the game again, and my hatred for Chao Gardens re-emerged like a volcanic eruption as I remembered what I would have to do to unlock everything.

I never made any fan characters or anything either. I had a friend in middle school who was reeeeeeally into that, though. (Wonder how he's doing these days...?)

:lol

I actually never played the Chao Garden back in the DC days. By the time I found out about GHZ in SA2, I had already moved past it onto other games (I didn't really keep up with gaming news outside of stuff like Gamepro and EGM2). Then when the GCube version came out, I decided to try the game again, and my hatred for Chao Gardens re-emerged like a volcanic eruption as I remembered what I would have to do to unlock everything.

Why did this set of an event in my head where Beef is at the Chao Karate tournament yelling abuse from the audience at his Chao mid match for not being strong enough, then he backhands the Chao for failing in the tournament, drags it home and force feeds it those robot tube things by the truck load "I don't care how bad they taste EAT THEM! I NEED MY EMBLEMS BRAT!"

Beef you monster!

Why did this set of an event in my head where Beef is at the Chao Karate tournament yelling abuse from the audience at his Chao mid match for not being strong enough, then he backhands the Chao for failing in the tournament, drags it home and force feeds it those robot tube things by the truck load "I don't care how bad they taste EAT THEM! I NEED MY EMBLEMS BRAT!"

Beef you monster!

What you described is closer to the truth than you realize.

What you described is closer to the truth than you realize.

Of course it is because deep down I knew it, you are a monster, what with your spirit beast animalities and all that.

Damn Chao Karate, you knew you were fucked when you came across a chao with a yet unseen stance and superior striking style.

BlackJace

I feel like I should like the Chao Garden, but I find it super-boring. I did spend a fair amount of time in the Tiny Chao Garden in Sonic Advance, though.

Pietepiet

I've had my fan character go through several redesigns... Man, I remember when everyone used to draw fan characters at places like Sonic Foundation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, and Big The Cat (Which I gave to someone who really wanted it).

Yeah, just a small Classic Sonic and Classic Tails. And a Modern Tails imported from Japan. I did see a Knuckles plush in Future Shop, but when I went back to get it, it sold out. I have a few Mario and Yoshi plushies too.

I hate to admit that this Shadow plush is mildly enticing. But the Knuckles plush seems cute.

But the thing about plushies is that I like seeing them in the store and feeling the material (it's much like how you buy clothes, for example). If the material feels cheap, I'm not buying.

When I was real young (9 or 10) I had the original Sonic and Tails plushes. Somewhere around high school some restaurant (Denny's? Applebees?) was giving away smaller Sonic Underground ones, and my brother brought me Knuckles from there and I had a girlfriend who gave me Sonic a few months later.

No idea what happened to any of them, though I think I ran across Knuckles recently in a box somewhere.

My little bro has a knuckles and a warehog which is actually rather well made. he had a sonic but my younger nephew destroyed it when he was about 2.

I have some plushies, too. They got hung on my bunk bed ages ago, strung by the string noose on the trusses of the upper bed-frame. And I just recently clipped off, free like skeletons and no longer like the haunting marionettes of my hokey childhood.

—So yeah.

I have a bunch of Sonic plushes I got from Gameworks claw machines at one point (it's weird how some of them had two or three different "versions" in a relatively short amount of time, like some are fuzzy, some are normal, some made out of different material but the same obvious patterns as the others), but they disappeared and got replaced with generic crap, before the Gameworks closed.

I also picked up a Bokkun at an anime convention, haven't really seen that much since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom