• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Being able to play Sonic Generations on my new pc feels so good. 60 fps, no drops. Silky smooth. That said, fuck Vector and pass the beat, dodgy ass homing tracking. FUCK FUCK FUCK

After I beat this I never did it again. The trick is to sit a bit back so the Homing Attack works.

Emitan

Being able to play Sonic Generations on my new pc feels so good. 60 fps, no drops. Silky smooth. That said, fuck Vector and pass the beat, dodgy ass homing tracking. FUCK FUCK FUCK

Only took me a few tries. Never going to try to S Rank it though.

Actually, my save file is gone so I guess I'm going to have to do it again. Oh well...

Edgeward

After I beat this I never did it again. The trick is to sit a bit back so the Homing Attack works.

But I want to beat it and get an S rank at the same time. D= It just gets really finicky once it gets red. Then you are at the complete mercy of it all.

Psxphile

I'm gonna S Rank that shit right now because we're talking about it

EDIT: what the fuck

I already did???????

JSUmw.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Took me so many tries to actually beat that damn challenge...

...and I S-ranked it when I finally beat it. :p Never ever doing that challenge again. Worst challenge ever.

Billiechu said:
pffft

never read those things
But when they put the effort into the manuals and make them all informative and stuff, you have to read them!

Unlike those piddly 4-page manuals they put out for some games these days...

OMG Aero

To be honest, looking back I feel like the main reason I wasn't was because I was watching the wisp demonstration videos Sega put out before release. Its not exactly an intuitive thing.
Every time you come across a wisp for the first time, there is a question mark icon that tells you how to control that wisp. The only way you can miss it is if you turn those off, and if you do so then you have no-one but yourself to blame for not knowing how to do something.
I did it the complete opposite, if you get up close to Vector you can hit the note back as soon as he hits it so you don't have to move around and risk missing it. It's only at the end when the note gets really fast that this stops working.

Lijik

Every time you come across a wisp for the first time, there is a question mark icon that tells you how to control that wisp. The only way you can miss it is if you turn those off, and if you do so then you have no-one but yourself to blame for not knowing how to do something.

If anything this just shows how unintuitive it is.
The game doesn't have complex mechanics or anything, having to put up with a bunch of annoying tutorial text just for the one thing that isn't explained well through gameplay is bad design, not the fault of the player.

Especially since just about every other Wisp has one specific use that is self-evident right when you use it.

OMG Aero

If anything this just shows how unintuitive it is.
The game doesn't have complex mechanics or anything, having to put up with a bunch of annoying tutorial text just for the one thing that isn't explained well through gameplay is bad design, not the fault of the player.

Especially since just about every other Wisp has one specific use that is self-evident right when you use it.
How is this annoying tutorial text?
lightdashyfzh9.jpg

It's short and straight to the point, and there are hint bubbles next to both the green wisps you could encounter for the first time so there is no way of missing them. How else do you want the game to tell you how to use it? Do you want Omochao to tell you how to do it automatically without giving you the option or a way to skip it like in Generations?
And I stand by my point that you can't call it unintuitive when you are purposefully turning off the thing that tells you how to control the wisps when it is enabled by default.

Plus there are plenty of occasions where switches to bring up light dash ring paths were placed alongside a hover wisp, I guess if they really wanted to push the feature for those who turned off the explanations they could have made a pit impassable unless you lightdashed, though there is a bit like that in one of Aquarium Park's later acts down an optional path but that's a fair bit after you first get the power.

TheOGB

Banned
I just beat the Egg Dragoon on Hard in perfect sync with Endless Possibility. The song played once and my score came up at the exact end of it.

Goddamn that was satisfying.
Especially not getting hit in the final skydiving part :V

Lijik

Do you want Omochao to tell you how to do it automatically without giving you the option or a way to skip it like in Generations?
Clearly when I complained that its the one wisp mechanic that isn't taught through gameplay this is what I meant. Bang on.

How else do you want the game to tell you how to use it?

The same way the game teaches you the rest of the wisps if you dont have the tutorial stuff on. Like I said most of the wisps are pretty self evident and only have one use. The more abstract wisps like Laser and Cube color code their related objects to match their wisps to clue you in that the two are related. So when a wisp is called "Hover" and you use it for hovering, its not obvious that you're going to use it for a lightspeed dash. It goes directly against what the rest of the teaching philosophy of the game.
Again the game is not complex, you shouldn't need to explicitly tell people in words how to do something. A section where you switch open a door and are forced to use the light dash in order to get past in time (rings would reset each time you reopen the passage), or giving ring trails a green aura while using the wisp to clue in that the two are related are both quick and easy gameplay scenarios that don't require a prompt.

The tutorial text is an unintuitive bandage considering every other mechanic in the game can be quickly figured out without such text. Its the sole outlier, and apparently a common thing for people to miss. "Its their fault for not reading the tutorial prompts!" Well why would they when nothing else needs those prompts?

OMG Aero

Again the game is not complex, you shouldn't need to explicitly tell people in words how to do something. A section where you switch open a door and are forced to use the light dash in order to get past in time (rings would reset each time you reopen the passage), or giving ring trails a green aura while using the wisp to clue in that the two are related are both quick and easy gameplay scenarios that don't require a prompt
The game does this though. There are several parts of Starlight Carnival (particularly that act that is entirely vertical and revolves around the hover wisp) and other levels where you hit a switch to spawn a chain of rings that disappear after a short while so the only way to get them all is to use a light dash. Hell this is how Kyle realises how to use it in the latest video, he sees a chain of rings that he doesn't have enough time to get so he presses a button and uses the light dash.

TheOGB

Banned
AHA! By messing around in the credits, I have discovered the single most redeemable aspect of Colors' double jump:

Instant change of direction.

suck it haters

TheOGB

Banned
*shrugs*

I would assume it also helps the Spike Wisp, since it's slower than you would usually be without it. That's actually half the reason I started playing it: to see if the double jump is really useless :p

CONCLUSION: It might not be necessary 98% of the time, but it is absolutely great for impatient "daredevils" like me

Ein Bear

Double jump in Colours was so great, I don't know why they ditched it and went back to the air dash for Generations. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega needs to get their butts in gear and release a Sonic-themed rhythm game. Rhythm Thief doesn't exactly count even though you have a ton of the Sonic composers on it.

We are in agreement, it's also why I like having the lightning shield in Sonic 3.
The Lightning Shield is the bestest shield ever. The Fire Shield is cool sometimes, but the Lightning Shield offers double-jump, ring magnet, and it looks nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
knowing our luck it'll be a DDR game like with Mario
Was that DDR game even decent? I just saw it in a store and it didn't seem like anyone was purchasing it.

Sega has such an incredible assortment of Sonic music, so it would be logical to have a rhythm game featuring those tracks.

Sega needs to get their butts in gear and release a Sonic-themed rhythm game. Rhythm Thief doesn't exactly count even though you have a ton of the Sonic composers on it.

The Lightning Shield is the bestest shield ever. The Fire Shield is cool sometimes, but the Lightning Shield offers double-jump, ring magnet, and it looks nice.
Sonic Street Strut will be down with the kids, includes Sonic break dancing with Knuckles and the Chaotix bobbing their heads up and down, i'm onto a winner.

Fire Shield always ended in disaster with me, I don't trust myself to use that aerial attack effectively.

knowing our luck it'll be a DDR game like with Mario
Mario's dancing just looks so wrong in that game.

I only really liked the Fire Shield because it gave you instant momentum. And even then, that was only to save me the what, 3 seconds of running time?

Sciz

Double jump in Colours was so great, I don't know why they ditched it and went back to the air dash for Generations. :(

Generations is much less heavy on the 2D platforming, and the default jump height is actually sufficient to get through the level design, unlike some of Colors' more finicky moments.

The biggest problem with jumping in Colors is that you have to keep holding the button down to stay in ball form. Completely unintuitive.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Had one too many onion rings, I bet.

Sonic Street Strut will be down with the kids, includes Sonic break dancing with Knuckles and the Chaotix bobbing their heads up and down, i'm onto a winner.
Actually, that's what I think they'd do. Really, they could do so many things with a Sonic rhythm game. Adequate platforming when you nail a beat or something. Faltering when you miss. I dunno.

This is the best thing I've seen today. The best. Well, the second one is a 'so bad, but funny' sort of thing. :lol

It's one of those mods which are so good and something which is totally different to normal but at the same time you will never see it officially used even if the fat part was taken out.

So awesome.

I love that one Sonic 1 mod that has you going backwards through the levels.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm really glad they're getting back to Robotnik being a cartoony villain in the games. He was always good as one of those. Plus I'm extra fond of AotSH 'Buttnik.

I did it! I FUCKING DID YOU GUYS I BEAT IT AND GOT S-
I'm... I'm so sorry. And you were off by such a little bit too... :(

Mario DDR is a good game, I'd like a Sonic DDR.
Mario's the Superstar!
Would Benami even be willing to make one anymore? No wait, they probably would, but that would mean that Sega has to reach a deal with Konami.

Still, something with touch would be just as pleasant.

Psxphile

Sonic-themed rhythm game

Developed by iNiS.

I can see it now. Station Square has been invaded by Dr. Eggman once again. The people, frightened, call out for a savior.

"HEEEEAAALP!"

Cut to a room where a stern man w/ different colored eyes views the day's occurrences on a large screen. He swivels around in his chair, and shouts:

"Agents. Are. GO!!"

A motorcycle races onto a scene of chaos as Eggman's robots march on the city. As it slams into the first robot, 3 figures leap off.

Shadow.
Rouge.
Omega.

EPISODE 1
A City in Turmoil!
Get that Mad Doctor!

"3! 2! 1! GO!"

*Team Dark dances to "Work It Out"*

I'm really glad they're getting back to Robotnik being a cartoony villain in the games. He was always good as one of those. Plus I'm extra fond of AotSH 'Buttnik.
I like him as a comic relief character, but I also like when he's the final boss and not pushed aside by the game's Cthulu monster.

Colors was perfect in that regard. No Super Sonic, no Chaos Emeralds, no evil demons, just Sonic vs. Eggman.

From an artist's perspective (whatever that's worth) I enjoy drawing AOSTH Robotnik the most, he's easily the most expressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom