• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Kart94

Banned
I did like Sonic Battle. It was kind of fun to customize the robot character. my only major complaint was the stages were meh.

Kart94

Banned
And those random ass difficulty spikes, my god.

uh yes. that final battle was such a huge spike. i rememeber just spamming the special moves since that was the only way i could have won.

surprisingly, for some reason, i think Cream was the best character in the game. *not counting the customizable robot*

TheOGB

Banned
And those random ass difficulty spikes, my god.
If there was one thing consistent about the two fighting games Sonic's had, it's that the final fights in both were fucking rough. I was just playing Sonic the Fighters with a friend earlier and Metal Sonic is still a cruel motherfucker.

Sonic Battle had those kinda spikes all over, though. First time fighting Knuckles as Emerl with like 2 cards, getting jumped by all those damn Phi clones...

I finished Lost World a week ago and it was mostly awful despite looking and sounding nice, good god. Really hope it was just rushed out due to the Wii U bombing and SEGA wanting out of that contract ASAP and not indicative of what the big 2015 game is meant to be.

I know you told me ahead of time it was shit but I still feel like blaming somebody other than myself.

EDIT:
Hey again all. I hope this is okay to post. We published an article talking about our favorite 3D Sonic games.

http://www.superphillipcentral.com/2014/08/top-five-3d-sonic-hedgehog-games.html

If that's not okay to link to or share, I'll remove the link.
I find it really telling Unleashed/Colors/Generations are normally at the top of these lists, I really think they made everything 3D-related beforehand redundant. I'd probably swap the original Adventure out for Lost World though, and I don't even like it all that much!

I prefer to think of it as mediocre than complete shit; I rather like the concepts it has going for it, but the controls feel all over the place, particularly when you need to make a jump, which basically kills the whole thing. It got to the point where I felt like I was forcing myself to finish it just so I wouldn't have the plot spoiled for me. (I might as well have; that final twist was terribly handled.)

I really don't understand why Sonic Team can't make platforming controls feel as natural as a Nintendo platformer (or shit, even a PS2 platformer, just to lower the bar here) to save their lives. Either it's oversensitive to the point where slightly nudging the stick causes an immediate change in direction with no loss in velocity, even in mid-air (2K6) or extremely sluggish to the point where trying to play the game like a normal platformer, sans boost, is highly impractical (Generations felt guilty of this; fortunately, you were almost always boosting down linear pathways instead of jumping from platform to platform, but the few times you had to do the latter always felt off to me).

Lost World has nice concepts for the first few levels, but it completely fails to build off them and what would've merely been a repetitive game becomes an exercise in fustration given how 'stiff' and obtuse the controls are. Played the 3DS demo a bit and while the level design was even worse, there was at least a bit of momentum behind Sonic I felt that made controlling him feel more organic. The very few times you control Sonic in a small, slow section of Generations felt more natural than Lost World which feels ironic when the early promotional material focused on how you'd have more control over Sonic's finer movements. It's just weird how after the last few games they fucked up something they'd already started getting right so badly.

I'm also mostly against Sonic plots that aren't self-aware or handled by modern-Archie, but the Zeti are just sort of... There. They're not the most Sonic-looking original characters, but they were fun enough concepts without a proper backstory that the game seems content to push by the side when you reach that pointless final boss. The wisps by comparison were non-intrusive additions to Colors that they still bothered to explain and give a proper send-off to without turning the whole thing into a Sonic '06 melodramatic mess. Even the floating 'Planet Hex' context had some potential they could have worked into the gameplay, like different floating chunks from later worlds colliding into previous zones to form 'mash up' levels as you progressed. Instead it's just a pretty but ultimately useless aesthetic for the map.

Still, the Windy Hill stage in Smash Wii U looks a lot better than the last minute Green Hill one we got in Brawl and we're getting again in the 3DS version. Plus Lost World's admittedly weird focus on the Genesis-era badniks and animals means we're seeing those a lot in the background.

Phil S.

Banned
I finished Lost World a week ago and it was mostly awful despite looking and sounding nice, good god. Really hope it was just rushed out due to the Wii U bombing and SEGA wanting out of that contract ASAP and not indicative of what the big 2015 game is meant to be.

I know you told me ahead of time it was shit but I still feel like blaming somebody other than myself.

EDIT:

I find it really telling Unleashed/Colors/Generations are normally at the top of these lists, I really think they made everything 3D-related beforehand redundant. I'd probably swap the original Adventure out for Lost World though, and I don't even like it all that much!

I recently went back to the original Adventure, and I found it really hard to like. My nostalgia had me expecting more out of it than what I received. Curse you, nostalgia! Still, the music is ace and I do like a fair amount of the Sonic levels.

Village

Sonic Adventure 1 Is a game I cannot go back to, or rather after trying could not. I can go back to 2, but there is way too much about 1 I never really liked in the first place.

TimmiT

Screen-Shot-2014-09-03-at-2.04.20-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-09-03-at-2.03.59-PM.png

I don't know how I feel about this.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait, now Sonic Retro has pictures of a game show that has the site on it?

How long before a game show uses THAT picture too? It'll be a game show that has pictures of retro which has pictures of a game show that has pictures of retro on it.

It's like IRL multi-dimensional quote pyramid

Here's where those screenshots come from: http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/glys9q/-midnight-tuesday--september-2--2014-season-1-ep-01106

Skip to 09:37 for the relevant part.

I wonder about the legality of these "stuff we found on the internet broadcast on commercial television" shows. Do they get around rights issues by labeling it a news show or something?

(Not defending the rights of the fan artist. But, hey, not like Sega gave them the nod...)

I mean, Comedy Central's owned by Viacom, certainly a company psycho about protecting its copyrighted footage. NOW HERE'S A FUNNY YOUTUBE WE FOUND! HERE'S SOME BAD ARTWORK WE DON'T HAVE THE RIGHTS TO!

Village

Oh neat @midnight.

I like chris hardwick's stuff, and the nerdist. Its a weird situation though, I found out he was older than he was and had a whole career during the 90's and stuff. So I guess is just a compliment to him, the first time I saw him was on G4.

Project Justice= Rival Schools 2 right?
Cuz I saw some high level play and dear lord it makes SF4 look like Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3.

I have no idea what you mean by this, but whatever it is I probably agree with it.

Sciz

Unless the TV show manages to surprise everyone and knock it out of the park, the comic's going to end up being the best of the three iterations of the series.

TimmiT

Unless the TV show manages to surprise everyone and knock it out of the park, the comic's going to end up being the best of the three iterations of the series.

Aside from the comic, I've seen far more praise for the TV show than for the games. It actually looks like it could be good. Reminder that the episodes have plots like Knuckles trying to become a mayor and Eggman suing Sonic.

Phil S.

Banned
The kick to the nuts after the slap of the face of playing that game was that you couldn't even resell the game for much because you couldn't delete your save data!

Kart94

Banned
The kick to the nuts after the slap of the face of playing that game was that you couldn't even resell the game for much because you couldn't delete your save data!

oh so it is like Resident Evil Mercenaries then. I swear to god Crash Team Racing looked better than the racing portion of this game. and that came out in 1999.

Phil S.

Banned
The racing was just awful. It was rubber-band AI to the max, and the Smash knock-off was just as bad. I definitely missed Monkey Target and the other games. Thankfully, Banana Splitz on the Vita got it right in that regard, though the main mode was frustrating as all get out.

Tizoc

Looking forward to the cartoon and comic for Sonic Boom.

Aside from the comic, I've seen far more praise for the TV show than for the games. It actually looks like it could be good. Reminder that the episodes have plots like Knuckles trying to become a mayor and Eggman suing Sonic.

These are glorious ideas, I need this show asap.

OMG Aero

Ugh. I remember when I joined I was so nice and polite, and then I posted regularly on the Gaming side. >_>
That's what gaf does to you, it corrupts you.
Dark Schala used to be Light Schala before she got corrupted by gaf and turned cynical and hated all video games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i guess GAF being Lavos would be a fair comparison, looking at the script.

Magus: 「いわばラヴォスのエサに
すぎなかったというわけだ。
我々人間、いや……

Frog: 「じょうだんじゃねえ……
てめえのかてになるために、みんな
生きてるわけじゃねえ!

That said, there are plenty of good people here. Even the ones you might have come to dislike are great people offsite or non-gaming threads. Don't be so quick to judge because those same people might teach you something about yourself.

Anyway, thought it was kinda funny Beef put me in charge of here when he didn't have internet, when I think he knew I don't post on GAF much anymore for various reasons.

Beef pls be better prez before they impeach you, ok?

That's what gaf does to you, it corrupts you.
Dark Schala used to be Light Schala before she got corrupted by gaf and turned cynical and hated all video games.
More like I got older and wiser and decided to be more honest instead of fluffing shit up because it's what people want to hear versus what I really think.
BSGXyyc.gif
It's just too bad that after a few bad experiences (Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Ni no Kuni, Xenoblade, Theatrhythm: FF, Shovel Knight, Sonic Lost World, Tales of the Abyss, etc.), I just keep my mouth shut instead of saying how I really feel so I just keep it to myself or here. Last thing I want is comparisons to Derrick (who's not as bad as a lot of people made him out to be) and I felt like things were getting to that point before I stopped posting a lot. Hence I started feeling excluded from a lot of things and just stopped posting because it takes me hours to write up those posts and I felt like I was outright wasting my time. People wanted to tell me how wrong I was as opposed to trying to see it from my perspective. So... whatevs; I can get better game talk elsewhere.

On that note, I can't wait until I import the new Tales game to... ahem... "lambaste it" because I "don't want the series to be successful in the west and for the games to sell poorly because tons and tons of people" read my posts "and then they'll decide not to buy it". If there's anything I'll ever take home from my active posting time on GAF, it's that, because it honestly makes me laugh that someone gets so much feels out of someone theoretically being mean to their favourite company or their favourite series.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

For the record, a lot of the things I'm "mean to" seem to do well from what I've heard and seen.

I'll probably post in that import thread since I generally feel more comfortable in those ones. Less people, and people who just want to play the game for the game part of the game instead of romanticizing the thing and being afraid to be honest.

Hmm... I don't think I'm getting Sonic Boom. I need to save money for other things, and I think I want to put my local games budget towards other things. At this point, I don't think Sonic Boom looks like something I'd want to play in the next few months and it doesn't strike my fancy at all. Wish they'd show more of the 3DS version because the Wii U version looks like a damn bust.

Oh, btw, I posted my Gunvolt impressions on my Tumblr a few days after the Japanese release. I really liked it. I thought the story was a really crappy anime, and the endless text and flavour dialogue during the levels and boss fights got in the way so much so that I had to turn it off because it was bothersome as fuck. But other than that, I thought it was pretty good, albeit flawed. http://schalaasha.tumblr.com/post/95677206608/azure-striker-gunvolt-armed-blue-gunvolt-impressions

I didn't see the need to post them in the Japanese thread for it because kiryogi, Ryouga, and I were probably the few importers who liked it based on what a lot of us were saying off of GAF.

OMG Aero

On that note, I can't wait until I import the new Tales game to... ahem... "lambaste it" because I "don't want the series to be successful in the west and for the games to sell poorly because tons and tons of people" read my posts "and then they'll decide not to buy it". If there's anything I'll ever take home from my active posting time on GAF, it's that, because it honestly makes me laugh that someone gets so much feels out of someone theoretically being mean to their favourite company or their favourite series.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
I think my favourite gaf conspiracy was when Bravely Default came out in America and someone accused everyone who played the Japanese and European releases of deliberately keeping quiet about how bad the later chapters are to trick people into buying it.
Not to mention almost everything you seem to import gets a localization announcement.
STILL WAITING ON TETRIS PUYO PUYO.

The damning import impressions of recent Tales games were so fatal to eventual overseas sales that to take decisive action Namco claim to be giving Zesteria a worldwide release in 2015 to narrow the gap as much as they can, better step up your game princess, the window of opportunity to sully Zesteria's good name will be smaller than ever.

The conspiracy is real.

I think my favourite gaf conspiracy was when Bravely Default came out in America and someone accused everyone who played the Japanese and European releases of deliberately keeping quiet about how bad the later chapters are to trick people into buying it.

This actually being a thing tickles me greatly.

Kart94

Banned
lol i was just playing some Modnation Racers. Very good game. one of my favorite racing games on the PS3. I think i like it better than Mario Kart Wii *to be quiet honest, Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 64 are the only two games that i can say that the clones were better than it* Modnation is no Crash Team Racing though. That game is the best.

I would love a Modnation Racers 2 on the PS4 with improved graphics, improved framerate* The framerate drops every once in a while, which gets annoying*, more areas, themes and stuff to make bigger, better race tracks, and more variety on the karts. *well i don't actually built karts or tracks, but i do download them*

edit: to Schala: What is wrong about shovel Knight and Sonic Lost World? a friend of mine offsite keeps on gushing about Shovel Knight and how it is like one of them old NES games. btw, nice avatar, where is it from?

Top Bottom