• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announced new PS2 Design

Pug

According to MCV the UK's trade mag, Sony has been reduce the stocks of the old PS2 for quite sometime. Thats not surprising considering the HD is not available here anyway.

pstwo.jpg

Those holes look like attachment hardpoints for a screen.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Alex Anderson said:
LOL. Actually that could work but the AV and Headphone ports on the LCD screen would prevent the PSone LCD monitor from attaching correctly.... BUT, If you have a Playstation AV adaptor, the LCD monitor would work(I've done this with PS2 + AV adaptor + PSone LCD Screen).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The design is somewhat growing on me...I didn't see the PS2 logo on that darker stripe in the previous pics. Looks kind of nice.

4645.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
"And NO HDD SUPPORT!"

as mentioned elsewhere....

this means they have to STILL keep making the old PS2 in order to provide continued support for all the PS2's functionality....
It's up for speculation at this point. Sony has been mumbling about "alternatives" to HDD for online gaming support related to their future online micropayment plans. One would have thought the best way to do that, sans HDD, would be to slap a MemStick slot on this new model and it would have made for better connectivity with the PSP, but noooo...

Still, I can't imagine that major 3rd party partners like SE would be caught completely off guard about this. Several new PS2 games released this month already refer to this new model in their manuals, so some of the third parties were clearly told in advance.

Pug

Cheers faceless, sod that its the size of the controller. Me I'd rather the AC tucked away in the machine.

Defensor said:
LOL. Actually that could work but the AV and Headphone ports on the LCD screen would prevent the PSone LCD monitor from attaching correctly.... BUT, If you have a Playstation AV adaptor, the LCD monitor would work(I've done this with PS2 + AV adaptor + PSone LCD Screen).

There is no AV-in or headphone port on the back of the PSOne. Those features are built into the LCD screen :) (I have them both sitting here with me).

The latch-on screws on the PSOne LCD screen may prevent this from working though, unless I removed them.

bloke

No HDD no buy, still bowing down to Sonys engineers, guess they couldn't make it any smaller and slimmer than this.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Alex Anderson said:
There is no AV-in or headphone port on the back of the PSOne. Those features are built into the LCD screen :) (I have them both sitting here with me).

The latch-on screws on the PSOne LCD screen may prevent this from working though, unless I removed them.
I just looked at my PSone w/LCD monitor without removing the monitor when posting. Thanx for the clarification :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"One would have thought the best way to do that, sans HDD, would be to slap a MemStick slot on this new model and it would have made for better connectivity with the PSP, but noooo... "

yeah, same here.
i'm disappointed by the lack of a move to Memstick for the sam reason , but as for a Mem Stick alternative to HDD - the number one reason to own a HDD is for FFXI... that mother is about an 8 gig install, so that wouldn't really work.

maskrider

bloke said:
No HDD no buy, still bowing down to Sonys engineers, guess they couldn't make it any smaller and slimmer than this.

Japan ITMedia said external HDD support, but the old one wouldn't be compatible I suppose, there will be a new external HDD unit for this PSTwo.

Yusaku

^^^ There's no way you're sliding anything into that.

Looks cool, but I'm really suprised there's no HDD support.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kaching said:
slot on this new model and it would have made for better connectivity with the PSP, but noooo...

Well, yeah, but I'd rather buy a cheaper USB PS2-to-PSP connection cable rather than a mem stick. Wait a sec: a mem stick is needed for data storage on PSP anyway. I'll have to buy anyway. Ok, it sucks not having a mem stick port on the PS2 :)

I'd really like to hear from Square Enix about the lack of HDD support.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
maskrider said:
Japan ITMedia said external HDD support, but the old one wouldn't be compatible I suppose, there will be a new external HDD unit for this PSTwo.

Really? Nice. But isn't USB too slow for that?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
the number one reason to own a HDD is for FFXI... that mother is about an 8 gig install, so that wouldn't really work.
True, but I'd think that FFXI has already experienced the majority of its PS2 sales by now. Well, except for Europe.

it'll probably be a usb drive bay. just slide the old hdd into it.
Fantastic...all the bulky external stuff (power adapter, hdd) defeats the purpose of making the PS2 so small in the first place.

Dujour

Banned
For me, the gamecube comes in an emotional third place. Anyhow, I hope the screen doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Another brilliant move. No HDD support. I realize many may think the HDD is irrelevant and only for FFXI, but people play MMORPGs for years. People will still be playing FFXI (particularly with more expansions) when PS3 is out. Plus Square is readying more PoL HDD supported online games, and even if it's a bit late in the PS2 life cycle, other games are about to use the HDD as well.

So go and introduce the new, sexy PS2 which you'll be promoting as the thing to own, without HDD support built in. There's no reason a laptop style HDD couldn't have been worked in there... they're small enough.

Sure, they can make an external plug-in HDD but well, that's just retarded, on the whole. It should be one integrated (sans power supply) unit.

Y'know, if Sony discountinues the older and larger PS2, Square's gonna hear a zipper being undone behind them. Pardon me, but didn't some game company in Japan years ago learn the hard way you don't insult Square? My memory is fuzzy.

u_neek

Kaijima said:
Y'know, if Sony discountinues the older and larger PS2, Square's gonna hear a zipper being undone behind them. Pardon me, but didn't some game company in Japan years ago learn the hard way you don't insult Square? My memory is fuzzy.

Hehe, Square Enix leaves teh Sony..

What excactly did happen bewteen Nintendo and Square back then?

Kaijima said:
Two down.... *cough*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kaijima said:
Another brilliant move. No HDD support. I realize many may think the HDD is irrelevant and only for FFXI, but people play MMORPGs for years. People will still be playing FFXI (particularly with more expansions) when PS3 is out. Plus Square is readying more PoL HDD supported online games, and even if it's a bit late in the PS2 life cycle, other games are about to use the HDD as well.

So go and introduce the new, sexy PS2 which you'll be promoting as the thing to own, without HDD support built in. There's no reason a laptop style HDD couldn't have been worked in there... they're small enough.

Sure, they can make an external plug-in HDD but well, that's just retarded, on the whole. It should be one integrated (sans power supply) unit.

I'll copy&paste my post from another thread:

The more I think of it the less I believe this actually hurts Square. I mean, there are millions of PS2 out there, so there is still potential for growth. Newcomers (those that don't have a PS2 already and will buy the SCPH-70000) are hardly interested in FFXI. Those that are, probably already bought the HDD+FFXI package or at least they have the old PS2 model and are waiting for a price reduction of the HDD before jumping in.

I think it looks hideous. They could have streamlined it way more - keeping the front edge grooves on something this slim is gawdawful.

(add: when I saw the redesign; I thought it was someone's photoshop joke)

Oh well, I already have a PS2; waiting on next gen (if the current console doesn't die).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kaijima said:
There's no reason a laptop style HDD couldn't have been worked in there... they're small enough.

What if they integrated the HDD, wouldn't that increase the price? What would be the point of increasing the price for everyone just to please a very small part of the PS2 userbase? And I bet very, very few people would use the HDD anyway.

And let's imagine they kept the same price, what about all those people who payed up a LOT of money for the FFXI+HDD bundle in Japan? I can imagine they wouldn't be very happy about it.

Shompola

Banned
ahh they got rid of the tray. that's great. I would personally buy this one over the old one as I don't really care about the hdd.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
TTP said:
you see? Newcomers dont give a shit about the HDD ;)

If GTA needed the HDD, then you would hear casual gamers going nuts about this. But Joe Blow isn't going to care. He'll walk into Wal-mart, see a very thin PS2 for $149.99 with a network adapter included and buy one for himself and/or a present for the Blow children.

This is just an awesome space saver. I could just sit it on top of another dvd player if I wanted, it just goes with anything.

For some reason, the lack of HDD doesn't bother me in the least...maybe because I don't have one to begin with. I have to say that Sony trapped me, I will be buying this (more like asking) during Christmas. :p

But I wonder if Sony is going to drop the msrp for the regular model. Other than the HDD, what is the point of them both being $150? I mean they both have network adapters, but 9 times out of 10, someone is going to go for the smaller new model. I know I would expect the bigger version to be less expensive...

kiryogi

Banned
Err <_< PS2 memory cards use magic gate tech.

That same label is on the original I think. Also on the cards themselves :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
People in the other thread bitching because the PSTwo doesn't have 4 controller ports are idiots.

Sony not including some form of compatiblity with the HDD is idiotic.

Top Bottom