• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bends next GAAS title costs a quarter of a billion dollars according to Jeff Ross.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just as my GAAS brethren were at their lowest, a new North Star has emerged to which we now follow. A Live Service juggernaut in the making over at Sony Bend...

WwcUu8.gif

Last edited:

Perrott

They’re not making a GaaS game though?
They are, and here's an excerpt from one of their job listings from February:
[Bend Studio is looking for a lead project manager required to have] hands-on game development experience in leadership roles shipping AAA live-service games.
In that slide that you posted, Bend is listed in the "Evolving" category because they're pivoting from singleplayer, narrative focused games to multiplayer, live-service titles, and not quite there yet, unlike Bungie or Haven/Firewalk, both of which were set up from the start to be live-service powerhouses.
The thing I don't get about this graph is, what does it mean exactly to be a partner studio? Valkyrie is a support studio. Nixxes ports.

But Bluepoint? Weren't they supposed to be working on a new IP? Does this mean they're still doing remakes and are a support studio?
Bluepoint was never stated to be working on a new IP, all they said was "original content". Insider Shinobi602 also hinted at them working on an existing franchise currently, rather than an original property.

My best guess, looking at how they collaborated on God of War: Ragnarök, is that they're doing a spin-off God of War game in collaboration or under the tutelage of Santa Monica Studio - not unlike how Visual Arts did The Last Of Us Part I (and are making another project) in collaboration with Naughty Dog or how Santa Monica Studio themselves played a role in helping Ready at Dawn produce The Order: 1886; all of them partnership scenarios.

Last edited:

phant0m

Sure, that's a crazy budget for a new live service IP that may bomb, but no one is asking for a DG2. If anything, I would've preferred if Bend just worked on a new single player game.
I'd love them to try a new Syphon Filter since Ubi has given up on Sam Fisher.

Stealth genre is severely underserved in modern gaming.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think this is great news for a couple of reasons.

It either means the game is nearing release and we should get our hands on it by next year.

Or.

Sony believes in the project so much they're willing to flirt with a half a billion dollar game.

We win no matter what.

Jeff Ross is still mad they didn’t let him make Days Gone 2. Rightfully so, I might add. The first game did amazingly well.

Just keep that context in mind when you read these wild numbers from him.
Days Gone was buggy as hell at launch and it took 6+ years for Bend to release it. It rated a 72 on metacritic, and yes, many players came around to playing it, but at deep discounts. Bend studio was poorly managed compared to Sony's other AAA studios, which is why DG2 was never greenlit

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Days Gone was buggy as hell at launch and it took 6+ years for Bend to release it. It rated a 72 on metacritic, and yes, many players came around to playing it, but at deep discounts. Bend studio was poorly managed compared to Sony's other AAA studios, which is why DG2 was never greenlit
So have them do a 250 mill GAAS that is way harder to do lol?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Direct from Bend.

Unless you think including MP in an SP game = GaaS?

Doesn’t fit my definition of it though.
They're not spending "over 250 million dollars" on a new IP single player game, which have been consistently crushed in the market.

You only spend over 250 million dollars on a new IP if it's a GAAS title with huge earnings potential.

bitbydeath

You only spend over 250 million dollars on a new IP if it's a GAAS title with huge earnings potential.
Where are you getting that from?
Nobody’s spending that sort of money on GaaS, GaaS often has less return than a straight SP game because the majority crash and burn at release.

Break Studio will flop as hard as Rocksteady and rightfully so. Say whatever you want about Days Gone, but 9 million people bought it and many wanted a sequel. Instead, Sony/Bend spit in their faces and invest an outrageous amount of money in some GaaS nonsense. I will jump like a crazed monkey when they shut down.

So have them do a 250 mill GAAS that is way harder to do lol?
I don't trust a word that guy says. Dude sucks and just wants twitter pity points. Secondly, Bend's next game is almost certainly not a full on GAAS game because Sony chose to label their studio(multi-genre) and not a GAAS studio. It is probably a single player game with co-op elements. Days Gone was supposed to have an open world co-op mode as well that was scrapped late in development

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Where are you getting that from?
Nobody’s spending that sort of money on GaaS, GaaS often has less return than a straight SP game because the majority crash and burn at release.

You can only spend 250 million dollars on a talented studio WITH a proven IP like God of War or Star Wars. New IP in the SP space has crashed and burned for years.

Or

You spend 250 million dollars on a GAAS that has huge earnings potential.

Sony Bend working on a "new IP" and hiring for GAAS positions means it's GAAS.

bitbydeath

You can only spend 250 million dollars on a talented studio WITH a proven IP like God of War or Star Wars. New IP in the SP space has crashed and burned for years.

Or

Well, it’s confirmed to be an SP game with MP elements, take that how you want.

Or

Unless it is an established GAAS studio like Bungie or Blizzard, 250 mil for a GAAS game would be dumb as hell. It would be a much better investment giving 5 smaller studios 50 mill and hope one of them strikes gold, like Arrowhead

bitbydeath

That quote you posted is two years old. Mine, from Bend's own careers page, is three months old.

Again, from the horse's mouth:

Your link reinforces it?
Sony's Bend Studio, the developer perhaps best known for 2019's post-apocalyptic bikes-and-zombies adventure Days Gone, revealed it was working on its next project way back in June 2022, confirming it'll be a new IP that'll include multiplayer and build on the open-world systems of Days Gone.

Perrott

Your link reinforces it?
Just because two years ago they said to have been working on a game that includes multiplayer doesn't mean that two years later, a Bungie review of the live-service portfolio that led to the cancelation of The Last Of Us Online later, their own statements about their game being a live-service title, for which they're looking people experienced in live-service titles, are somehow negated by a two years old quote.

It's like saying "hey, The Last Of Us Online is still on the way because Neil Druckmann talked about it at Summer Game Fest 2022", completely ignoring the latest updates, coming from the studio themselves, on the status of the project.

bitbydeath

Just because two years ago they said to have been working on a game that includes multiplayer doesn't mean that two years later, a Bungie review of the live-service portfolio that led to the cancelation of The Last Of Us Online later, their own statements about their game being a live-service title, for which they're looking people experienced in live-service titles, are somehow negated by a two years old quote.

It's like saying "hey, The Last Of Us Online is still on the way because Neil Druckmann talked about it at Summer Game Fest 2022", completely ignoring the latest updates, coming from the studio themselves, on the status of the project.
This was also recent, notice Bend are not under the live service section.

egJBkFO.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Unless it is an established GAAS studio like Bungie or Blizzard, 250 mil for a GAAS game would be dumb as hell. It would be a much better investment giving 5 smaller studios 50 mill and hope one of them strikes gold, like Arrowhead.
You could be right, but if they believe in the concept (AAA PvP survival game hello?!) then hitting as hard as possible is smart.

Fess

Only two types of gamers. GAAS gamers and future GAAS gamers. There is no one else.
Wow. Could you define GAAS if you paint such a depressive future?
I don’t play online, ever. Will there be something for me or should I just go 100% retro gaming and don’t bother with new games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just as my GAAS brethren were at their lowest, a new North Star has emerged to which we now follow. A Live Service juggernaut in the making over at Sony Bend...

WwcUu8.gif

This guy will never stop taking about DG.

Hey Jeff Ross, DG came out 5 years ago and Sony doesnt want you or another DG game. Get over it.

An asteroid can hit Earth and the world is burning to the ground. His last tweet before all electricity stops forever would be..... "If I was in charge, we'd all be playing Days Gone 2 before we die"

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Wow. Could you define GAAS if you paint such a depressive future?
I don’t play online, ever. Will there be something for me or should I just go 100% retro gaming and don’t bother with new games?
GAAS games are always improving. They're widening their reach as well as deepening their reach. It's only a matter of time before you find yourself saying "I typically hate GAAS but this one is actually pretty fun." Then a short while later you'll say "Some GAAS are good. Some are bad." Then you'll say "Remember when we actually thought non GAAS had a chance?"

People really don't understand this animal.

This guy will never stop taking about DG.

Hey Jeff Ross, DG came out 5 years ago and Sony doesnt want you or another DG game. Get over it.

An asteroid can hit Earth and the world is burning to the ground. His last tweet before all electricity stops forever would be..... "If I was in charge, we'd all be playing Days Gone 2 before we die"

He talks about it once every few months. We talk about the same **** every day / week. Jeff Ross knows his ****.

Dr. Claus

Banned
They're not spending "over 250 million dollars" on a new IP single player game, which have been consistently crushed in the market.

No, you spend 250 million on a gaas title if you are a mentally challenged group of retards devoid of talent.

You could be right, but if they believe in the concept (AAA PvP survival game hello?!) then hitting as hard as possible is smart.
Sony always focuses on accessibility. That throws survival genre out the window. PvP, am not sure, they have tried those before in ps3 era. Especially Harmen Hulst has a lot of experience. That also doesn’t justify that sort of expenses.

Only was this makes sense is if it’s something like Dying Light. With tons of expensive mo cap/ voice acting, good graphics, and maybe a shared world or something, like Destiny/Diablo 4. With potential for future expansions.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony always focuses on accessibility. That throws survival genre out the window. PvP, am not sure, they have tried those before in ps3 era. Especially Harmen Hulst has a lot of experience. That also doesn’t justify that sort of expenses.

Only was this makes sense is if it’s something like Dying Light. With tons of expensive mo cap/ voice acting, good graphics, and maybe a shared world or something, like Destiny/Diablo 4. With potential for future expansions.
Nah, there's ways to sand off the survival genres rough edges. Rust, DayZ, Ark, Valheim, Lego Fortnite are all pretty accessable today. I could see them polishing up the genre further as there's so much to explore there. Should have been Concord FFS.

Fess

GAAS games are always improving. They're widening their reach as well as deepening their reach. It's only a matter of time before you find yourself saying "I typically hate GAAS but this one is actually pretty fun." Then a short while later you'll say "Some GAAS are good. Some are bad." Then you'll say "Remember when we actually thought non GAAS had a chance?"

People really don't understand this animal.
I like games that are improved. No Man’s Sky, Starfield, Cyberpunk, are among my favorites.
I just don’t like online gaming! There needs to be a way to deactivate that or I’m gone.

I don’t play with online features on Elden Ring either. No silly comments on the ground please! For me it’s pulling me out of the escapism if I ever see any trace of another human being in a game. Immersion is instantly gone.

Example, I played some Star Citizen during a free week and every real person there were running around jumping over tables or running around in the underwear. Immersion, LOST!

In No Man’s Sky, the same aliens I usually attempt to understand by searching for words of their language were suddenly walking about in the hub talking about crashes and patches and frame drops. Luckily it could all be turned off! Ah, sweet sweet silence….

Nope! Not for me!

Last edited:
Nah, there's ways to sand off the survival genres rough edges. Rust, DayZ, Ark, Valheim, Lego Fortnite are all pretty accessable today. I could see them polishing up the genre further as there's so much to explore there. Should have been Concord FFS.
Accessible as in clear cut quest markers and objectives. And very beginner friendly.

I cannot imagine them making any of those games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Accessible as in clear cut quest markers and objectives. And very beginner friendly.

I cannot imagine them making any of those games.
Those games are already very popular on console. I encourage you to try out Rust on console or Ark SE on console and see how janky and unpolished they still are. Those games do quite well and they clearly have tons of room for growth. We just need a AAA dev/pub willing to raise the bar. Honestly can't think of a genre with more potential.

I like games that are improved. No Man’s Sky, Starfield, Cyberpunk, are among my favorites.
I just don’t like online gaming! There needs to be a way to deactivate that or I’m gone.

I don’t play with online features on Elden Ring either. No silly comments on the ground please! For me it’s pulling me out of the escapism if I ever see any trace of another human being in a game. Immersion is instantly gone.

Example, I played some Star Citizen during a free week and every real person there were running around jumping over tables or running around in the underwear. Immersion, LOST!

In No Man’s Sky, the same aliens I usually attempt to understand by searching for words of their language were suddenly walking about in the hub talking about crashes and patches and frame drops. Luckily it could all be turned off! Ah, sweet sweet silence….

Nope! Not for me!
I find this kind of response a lot in my interactions with the anti GAAS crowd. "I will never like GAAS because all the GAAS games I've played I haven't liked."

Every one of your complaints, can and will be corrected via game design in the future.

Don't like talking to humans? Go to the settings menu and shut it off.
Don't like opponents who move in unnatural patterns? Play a game like Helldivers 2 where you don't see that kind of stuff.

Game design solves a lot of the problems of the past.

Top Bottom