• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bends next GAAS title costs a quarter of a billion dollars according to Jeff Ross.

Imtjnotu

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sure, just like David Jaffe has of insight about Sony, right?

Again, he may know about what Bend's game is about from his ex-colleagues, but I doubt that he has any insight about how much it costs.

I have never worked at Bend, but I'm not an idiot. If you really think Sony would trust Bend with $250M to make a GAAS game ... I dont know what to say to you.

"Development reportedly included a crunch schedule of 12-hour workdays and cost around US$220 million, making it one of the most expensive video games to develop."

So Sony gave Bend more money than the budget for TLOU Part II? lol

Sure

Jeff Ross has no incentive to lie. He would have a pretty good idea based on head counts alone.

You may have incentive to mislead (suffering from anti GAAS derangement syndrome) though.

Also, yes, Jaffe would know more about the inner working of PlayStation than you or I.

Sure, just like David Jaffe has of insight about Sony, right?

Again, he may know about what Bend's game is about from his ex-colleagues, but I doubt that he has any insight about how much it costs.

I have never worked at Bend, but I'm not an idiot. If you really think Sony would trust Bend with $250M to make a GAAS game ... I dont know what to say to you.

"Development reportedly included a crunch schedule of 12-hour workdays and cost around US$220 million, making it one of the most expensive video games to develop."

So Sony gave Bend more money than the budget for TLOU Part II? lol

Sure
TLOU 2 released in 2020 while Bend's game will release in 2025 at best, costs go up.

One is a Playstation 4 game, the other is a Playstation 5 game.

Maybe Spiderman 2, which coster over 300 millions would be a better comparison, or Spiderman 3 which is supposed to cost almost 400 millions.

If a sequel (which could recycle a lot of stuff) that was going to release in the first half of 2023 as Jeff said, was going to cost 150 millions, considering we just joined the second half of 2024 and Bend's game isn't even announced yet, then yes, at least 250M looks very likely.

And yes, he should stop talking and crying on twitter, this kind of comments won't help him, it's not like Sony is going to give him another chance now.

Last edited:

Hugare

Jeff Ross has no incentive to lie. He would have a pretty good idea based on head counts alone.

You may have incentive to mislead (suffering from anti GAAS derangement syndrome) though.

Also, yes, Jaffe would know more about the inner working of PlayStation than you or I.
He has the incentive of being butthurt about a cancelled sequel that he's still suffering about

"Sony is willing to spend $250M on a GAAS game instead of greenlighting DG 2". So yeah, he has his reasons for inflating this number.

PS: I play GAAS games. I'm just not a lunatic for it like you are.

TLOU 2 released in 2020 while Bend's game will release in 2025 at best, costs go up.

One is a Playstation 4 game, the other is a Playstation 5 game.

Maybe Spiderman 2, which coster over 300 millions would be a better comparison, or Spiderman 3 which is supposed to cost almost 400 millions.

If a sequel (which could recycle a lot of stuff) that was going to release in the first half of 2023 as Jeff said, was going to cost 150 millions, considering we just joined the second half of 2024 and Bend's game isn't even announced yet, then yes, at least 250M looks very likely.

And yes, he should stop talking and crying on twitter, this kind of comments won't help him, it's not like Sony is going to give him another chance now.
TLOU Part II was developed for 7 years by probably some of the most expensive devs in terms of salary out there. And Sony would give ND the budget that they want, 'cause they always deliver.

Same for Spiderman team at Insomniac. The first game was really well received by critics and sales. They knew their investment would be worth it. Spiderman is very popular.

But with Bend, Days Gone may have sold well, but it was not critically well received to the point where Sony didnt greenlight a sequel. Had several issues at launch and a huge, troubled development time.

So it's hard to believe that Sony would give then an equivalent budget to The Last of Us sequel or Spiderman's. I bet that Helldivers 2 didnt receive nowhere near this budget, despite having way more chances of being a successful investment due to their experience with the original game.

Last edited:

Hugare

Just as you have incentive to call him a liar to protect your anti GAAS bubble.

I've weighed both incentives and his clouds less than yours. We shall trust Mr. Ross.
I'm hardly the only one calling him on his bullshit number on this thread.

You want to believe him? You could believe in Santa, for all I care.

I doubt he'll show the receipts for his made up number, tho. So this discussion is worthless anyway.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm hardly the only one calling him on his bullshit number on this thread.

You want to believe him? You could believe in Santa, for all I care.

I doubt he'll show the receipts for his made up number, tho. So this discussion is worthless anyway.

There are many people online who choose their preferences over valid evidence. Pop your anti GAAS bubble and join us in reality.

Dr. Claus

Banned
There are many people online who choose their preferences over valid evidence. Pop your anti GAAS bubble and join us in reality.

The only one who refuses to be in reality has been you. GAAS games fail left and right and yet you have your head so far up your own ass that you refuse to actually pay attention and claim everyone else are just "haters" who live in "anti-GAAS bubbles".

Seek help, you seriously need it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The only one who refuses to be in reality has been you. GAAS games fail left and right and yet you have your head so far up your own ass that you refuse to actually pay attention and claim everyone else are just "haters" who live in "anti-GAAS bubbles".

Seek help, you seriously need it.
That's incorrect. Another statement clouded by the anti GAAS bubble you've immersed yourself in.

I predicted the GAAS trend back in 2017, probably in November or December of that year. Battle Royale taking the industry to a new level, NBA players posting pictures of their victory royals, NHL players doing Fortnite dances on the ice...it was then I knew what gaming could become.

In the seven years since then, the industry has only moved closer to my vision. Funding for GAAS has only increased. Players are moving towards GAAS, not away.

At a certain point, I became THE ORACLE OF GAAS. You speak to me like I'm not a glowing, levitating, demigod. I find your fake doubt...amusing.

thumb-1920-892817-1567104591.jpg

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I think this is great news for a couple of reasons.

It either means the game is nearing release and we should get our hands on it by next year.

Or.

Sony believes in the project so much they're willing to flirt with a half a billion dollar game.

We win no matter what.
It doesn't mean jack shit.

Remember,Sony also let Naughty Dog waste 5 years dicking around with Factions before they finally came to their senses and ultimately scrapped it cuz it wasn't going anywhere.

Sony's belief in the project can just as quickly turn into project cancelation and studio closure.Especially after the terrible public reception Concord got.

Bend is the worst studio to take on a gaas project right now since they are in a rebound state after Days Gone initial lukewarm reception(which they turned around through updates with time but like with Driveclub and Evo they might close Bend if this one fails too)

And gaas projects succeeding are like catching lightning in a bottle... We should dread this anouncement not celebrate it.

That is IF its true.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It doesn't mean jack shit.

Remember,Sony also let Naughty Dog waste 5 years dicking around with Factions before they finally came to their senses and ultimately scrapped it cuz it wasn't going anywhere.
Community Notes: Naughty Dog let a small percentage of their workforce, likely less than 10% of their employees, work on a project that never came to fruition. The bulk of the studio was unaffected by this small multiplayer oriented team.

Sony's belief in the project can just as quickly turn into project cancelation and studio closure.Especially after the terrible public reception Concord got.
I feel like Brad Pitt talking to Bruce Lee.

ANY studio that fails to generate enough revenue is in danger of closing. It's called manslaughter."

Bend is the worst studio to take on a gaas project right now since they are in a rebound state after Days Gone initial lukewarm reception(which they turned around through updates with time but like with Driveclub and Evo they might close Bend if this one fails too)
You and I know nothing about Sony Bend. PlayStation believes enough in the project to give them 300+ million dollars after working closely with the team. Also, tell me why the people who made Lethal Company, Roblox, and Valheim were better suited to take on a multiplayer project? Hint: It's all game design in the end.

And gaas projects succeeding are like catching lightning in a bottle... We should dread this anouncement not celebrate it.
Heard that before Helldivers 2 became the fastest selling PlayStation Studios game of all time. Good luck believing it as the Live Service numbers continue to go up.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
That's incorrect. Another statement clouded by the anti GAAS bubble you've immersed yourself in.

I predicted the GAAS trend back in 2017, probably in November or December of that year. Battle Royale taking the industry to a new level, NBA players posting pictures of their victory royals, NHL players doing Fortnite dances on the ice...it was then I knew what gaming could become.

In the seven years since then, the industry has only moved closer to my vision. Funding for GAAS has only increased. Players are moving towards GAAS, not away.

At a certain point, I became THE ORACLE OF GAAS. You speak to me like I'm not a glowing, levitating, demigod. I find your fake doubt...amusing.

thumb-1920-892817-1567104591.jpg

angry adam sandler GIF

FeralEcho

Community Notes: Naughty Dog let a small percentage of their workforce, likely less than 10% of their employees, work on a project that never came to fruition. The bulk of the studio was unaffected by this small multiplayer oriented team.

I feel like Brad Pitt talking to Bruce Lee.

ANY studio that fails to generate enough revenue is in danger of closing. It's called manslaughter."

You and I know nothing about Sony Bend. PlayStation believes enough in the project to give them 300+ million dollars after working closely with the team. Also, tell me why the people who made Lethal Company, Roblox, and Valheim were better suited to take on a multiplayer project? Hint: It's all game design in the end.

Heard that before Helldivers 2 became the fastest selling PlayStation Studios game of all time. Good luck believing it as the Live Service numbers continue to go up.
The Helldivers 2 example only proves my point...there was barely ANY marketing or attention from Sony before it released and BLEW up,only AFTERWARDS had Sony started giving it attention everywhere.

No one knew Helldivers 2 would be such a success,nor did it have a big budget which goes against needing a bigger budget for a gaas to succeed.

And again..you are contradicting yourself...If Helldivers 2 was a surefire success as you say and not a stroke of luck that it did turn out so big for Sony then why the fuck would Sony even need to put Bend on an insane budget at all if they know you can find success so "easily" with a small budget like Helldivers 2.

They could just release a Helldivers spin off with the same budget and call it a day otherwise it seems like a waste of money if you ask me and it just shows either Sony doesn't understand GAAS mentality as much as you think they do or they don't think that just having a GAAS type project is such a surefire way to grab people and they feel the need for a bigger budget to spice up the attention for it by making it grander.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Helldivers 2 example only proves my point...there was barely ANY marketing or attention from Sony before it released and BLEW up,only AFTERWARDS had Sony started giving it attention everywhere.
That's the beauty of GAAS. PlayStation doesn't need to spend millions on advertising. GAAS sells better just by synergizing with the social effect. It's beautiful.
No one knew Helldivers 2 would be such a success,nor did it have a big budget which goes against needing a bigger budget for a gaas to succeed.
Modern day military equipment costs more than swords and pikes. Progress to compete or die.
And again..you are contradicting yourself...If Helldivers 2 was a surefire success as you say and not a stroke of luck that it did turn out so big for Sony then why the fuck would Sony even need to put Bend on an insane budget at all if they know you can find success so "easily" with a small budget like Helldivers 2.
Because the United States built 181 aircraft carriers during WWII. Why would you stop at one, when your trying to dominate?
They could just release a Helldivers spin off with the same budget and call it a day otherwise it seems like a waste of money if you ask me and it just shows either Sony doesn't understand GAAS mentality as much as you think they do or they don't think that just having a GAAS type project is such a surefire way to grab people and they feel the need for a bigger budget to spice up the attention for it by making it grander.
The fastest selling PlayStation Studios game of all time, is GAAS. PlayStation knows GAAS.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Let's do some rough numbers

Bend Studio, 150 employees

Days Gone released in 2019, so they've had 5 years of dev time. Some of that dev time was used to support other games, but let's ignore that

150 x 5 years x $150,000 total cost per employee (overhead, benefits, etc) = $112M to keep the studio on.

Where he pulls $250M out of his ass is beyond me.
I vaguely remember that they started developing days gone with only 90 men, the studio grew up in numbers while they were making the game.

Top Bottom