• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files new patent for backwards compatibility

Draugoth

Gold Member
This-Patent-Might-Have-Just-Confirmed-PS3-Backward-Compatibility-On-PS5-1068x601.webp

Sony and Mark Cerny, the architect behind PS4 and PS5, might finally be cracking the code on one of the PlayStation community’s longest-running desires: PS3 backward compatibility on the PS5. A newly found patent could be the key to making this dream a reality.

The patent, titled “Backward Compatibility Testing of Software in a Mode That Attempts to Induce Skew,” outlines a sophisticated method for ensuring older software runs smoothly on newer hardware.

PS3-backward-compatibility-jpg.webp

The patent describes a system where a device (in this case, presumably the PS5) can run in a special “timing testing mode.” This mode is designed to deliberately induce skew—basically, creating timing variations that might mess with how software runs.

Think of it as a stress test for old games, making sure they can handle the new environment without breaking a sweat.

Source

Last edited:

Strider7

My body is ready. Gotta go back to PS3 era to get Plats for Metal Gear Rising, Asuras Wrath, and the Killzones. (Among others)

If this actually happens and it's working properly,I retract everything bad I said about Sony this gen.
Give me an update (or new system) where I can pop in my PS1, PS2, or PS3 discs and play them, and I'll be happy.

If any of this happens, everyone will have to rank the Dual-CEOs much higher on GAF's list.

UAv6S1ZYHNlwZn4LZFtyX5shffR7L9_pkoB-aXlmbaY.jpg

Edit: Since people are quoting this, I'm not saying that these guys would be solely responsible for such an ordeal, nor should they be solely thanked for such an endeavor. I thought that would be obvious, but I'll type here it anyway.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not happening. That doesn't make them money.

That does.
I'd settle for them just letting me download all the PS1 and PS2 "classics" and digital PS3 games I own on PSN that are only playable on PS3. Which makes sense, because they're almost kind of doing this with the PS1 stuff at least as it slow-drip releases.

All I'm saying is that I'm definitely not going to double or triple-dip on these games.

nial

If any of this happens, everyone will have to rank the Dual-CEOs much higher on GAF's list.

While it would be funny as hell considering the constant meltdowns people here have over Hermen Hulst, this would 100% be only Hideaki Nishino, as Hermen Hulst isn't involved in anything regarding hardware and system software (and this dual-CEO thing is why discussions about the heads of SIE will get very, very difficult here on GAF).
On-topic, while I don't doubt that this is something that SIE is doing a lot of R&D for, remember to not get too excited over patents.

Last edited:

FStubbs

PS3 is one thing, but PS2 backwards compatibility would make me interested in PS5.

Last edited:

YCoCg

might finally be cracking the code on one of the PlayStation community’s longest-running desires: PS3 backward compatibility on the PS5. A newly found patent could be the key to making this dream a reality.
RPCS3 recently overhauled their CPU code so it performs a hell of a lot better on older CPUs whilst providing gains for modern ones.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but the timing is funny.

Do it, and I will buy a PS5.

Being able to pop in Dead or Alive 3 super easily, is exactly why Xbox has taken my attention over the PlayStation.

Gaming preservation is important, and many older games don't spark interest in the new generation of gamers, because they aren't exposed to it.

The cover of God Hand is universal (I know the post mentioned PS3 not PS2, I'm just using GH as an example).

images

You can be 35 or 15, in 2024.
Seeing that on the PSN Store will spark something in you. Regardless of the game's "dated" looks.

While it would be funny as hell considering the constant meltdowns people here have over Hermen Hulst, this would 100% be only Hideaki Nishino, as Hermen Hulst isn't involved in anything regarding hardware and system software
Dual CEOs means dual responsibility. It wouldn't be fair to blame Hurst for everything that goes wrong and thank Nishino for everything that goes right.

Even internally, they will both be thrown under the bus together if things go wrong. So that's how I'm treating this situation. If it's a win, it's a win for both.

nial

Dual CEOs means dual responsibility. It wouldn't be fair to blame Hurst for everything that goes wrong and thank Nishino for everything that goes right.

Even internally, they will both be thrown under the bus together if things go wrong. So that's how I'm treating this situation. If it's a win, it's a win for both.
Both have their own responsabilites within the entire organization, it's not about blaming or thanking either, but recognizing who heads each operation.
Hulst oversees everything regarding produced content and IP managing (PlayStation Studios, Bungie and PlayStation Productions, and other stuff like IP licensing for merchandising and such), while Nishino oversees everything regarding their platform (hardware, system software, network plaforms, third-party relations and marketing).

Both have their own responsabilites within the entire organization, it's not about blaming or thanking either, but recognizing who heads each operation.
Hulst oversees everything regarding produced content and IP managing (PlayStation Studios, Bungie and PlayStation Productions, and other stuff like IP licensing for merchandising and such), while Nishino oversees everything regarding their platform (hardware, system software, network plaforms, third-party relations and marketing).
No need to explain their positions and titles again, most of us here know what they do.

My point was that if there comes a moment where they are both to be thrown under a bus, expect both of them to be thrown under a bus. That's how I am also assessing their situation.

CamHostage

Give me an update (or new system) where I can pop in my PS1, PS2, or PS3 discs and play them, and I'll be happy.

Discs are unfortunately not only highly unlikely to happen, but they actually can't in many cases; PS5 doesn't have the laser to read CDs. (I believe this was true for PS4 as well.)

Last edited:

nial

most of us here know what they do.
I wish. 🙁
I get your point, but I find it to be a little more complicated than something like BC. It's more so due to both business segments being important to each other for their continued success, so you can't really separate the performance of their platform from their produced content, and it's the same otherwise.

I doubt it had anything to do with either of them.
PS3 emulation had been an ongoing problem for Sony for years. Sony doesn't want to make the CELL anymore. The PS3 game streaming requirements is ridiculous. They had to make special servers containing the CELL processor in multiples. And put them where ever PSCloud is suppose to work.

The number of people who WANT to stream PS3 games is decreasing but they can't take the ability away without emulation to replace it. We know it certainly would be able to be brute forced in PS6, but at the start of the gen we actually thought PS5 might be good enough for it.

Sony would like to leave the CELL behind forever. Legacy hardware need to go away. So this step is inevitable and not thanks to any particular CEO. It was likely an ongoing project for years.

ZehDon

The abstract reads like a Pro console adjusting its clocks to run base content, more than having bc with older generations.
Yeah, changing the clocks wouldn't be worth patenting for emulated testing. This is Sony prepping for Pro and PS6 compatibility - which is still a good thing.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
We need to accept now that Sony may have finally figured out Ps3 emulation which we believed impossible. I think they are going to add ps3 hits to look better against game pass. Homefully they emulate Infamous, Motorstorm, Killzone 2, ect.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They're most likely gonna have Ken Kutaragi come around to your house and install a Cell processor in your PS5, with expectations that he WILL be smoking weed the whole time and it won't be HIS.
Anything is possible with the cloud!

We need to accept now that Sony may have finally figured out Ps3 emulation which we believed impossible. I think they are going to add ps3 hits to look better against game pass. Homefully they emulate Infamous, Motorstorm, Killzone 2, ect.

Everyone believes that Xbox has such great BC, and compared to Sony it is, but I personally find their BC efforts disappointing. SX was supposed to be an emulation beast, with auto hdr and fps boost and YET MS couldnt even upscale the resolution (or framerate) for many Xbox One exclusives ...Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, ryse, forza horizon 3, Quantum Break, Gears 1, state of delay 1 etc never got any patches whatsoever and most of those are fucking 720p/30 fps still!

The 60 fps patch for one of the best Xbox One exclusives, Forza Horizon 4, removed ambient occlusion and now the game looks like crap on SX with no way to revert it to the previous Fidelity mode. The Master Chief collection- I had to trade in my One X and buy a SX JUST to be able to play Halo 1/2/3 campaigns at a steady framerate and I still get framerate issues sometimes in Halo 1/2!

Then, MS finally drops a bunch of FPS boosts but has to downgrade the visuals and resolution in order for that to happen. Who wants to sacrifice the beautiful 4k visuals of Gears 4 or Far Cry New Dawn for an ugly 1080p game with One S graphics?

When they added old games for the first time to SX like the highly requested Max Payne 3, they didn't bother with the resolution which sucks as that game would've looked amazing in 4k ..
Instead it's fucking 720p ...come to think of it on SX Microsoft stopped doing 4k patches, despite doing that for many games last gen on inferior hardware.

Just so disappointing for someone who likes to replay old games with decent image quality and framerates. 720p/30 fps looks so fucking bad on a 4k screen. Sony actually has fewer ps4 exclusives that were not patched that MS and Xbox One games. Just BB, Gravity Rush 2, Driveclub, the Order.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not gonna happen, but can you imagine if PS6 launches with Disc BC for 5 generations of Playstations and it natively outputs at 4K?
And the store literally has a library of them digitally too on day one
Short sighted people will say it doesn't make them money but they underestimate how valuable that console would be to those inclined, just because they don't care.
And not many people have all 5 generations of games still.
Digital maybe their only option as prices have rocketed
I've seen BC PS3's with 65nm RSX to prevent YLOD going for £6,600.
and yes enthusiasts pay that, and the most sought after Playstation is a Fat PS3
But if it's mass market? even people that didn't care will be curious.
And obviously the biggest elephant in the room is Sony's current methods of streaming PS3 games isn't ideal as it requires actual PS3 hardware running indefinitely on their end which must cost them a bit and that won't last forever under those conditions.
I think it's in Sony's interest to get a system in place where they can run all games natively on one system and to carry it on to the next going forward.

DavidGzz

Gold Member

Spit my drink out at this! The only time Sony will show that you can use old physical games or let your friends borrow them, is to take a stab at MS, otherwise, pay up!

Bored New Year GIF

The vast majority of PS3 games run @30fps
Exactly this. Except for a few exclusives games (that won't be sold digitally unfortunately) I am not interested into playing the vast majority of PS3 games. And they'll never enable disc based games to work on PS5. Not happening. They want to sell us games again and have no incentive of doing a BC program similar to MS.

Top Bottom