• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tries to stop nude images from Beyond: Two Souls from spreading online

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
anyone who thinks any instance of nudity is stupid, pointless, tasteless, unnecessary, and/or creepy = prude

good to know

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The images are from an illegally hacked console and is very damaging for Ellen Page. It’s not actually her body. I would really appreciate if you can take the story down to end the cycle of discussion around this.

Yeah, those tits certainly aren't a 25-27year olds.

Which begs the question why David Cage even modeled them in the first place. Pervert.

Linkyn

Slut shaming. You know, unlike those hussies Ellen Page retained her dignity and good girl status by keeping her clothes on. It's a bit like the virgin trope in horror movies.

There's nothing wrong with nude scenes in a movie. It merely adds to the authenticity of eg an intimate moment (after all, you wouldn't expect people in real life to be all bashful and cover themselves up even though they are willing to sleep with whoever might see them). You just have to make sure that it's done in a mature way.

As for this whole nipple discussion - I've never quite understood why it isn't considered nudity until you get exposed nipples (kinda like you could show as much skin as you wanted as long as you censor the nipples or block them from view).

Chev

So after The Last of Us and now Beyond.. Ellen Page is pretty much done with videogames I'm guessing, right?
That assuming she was pissed off by Last of us (from the sound of it she didn't particularly mind, it's Sony that was miffed) and not aware there'd be a full model for the shower scene (and as mentioned several times in the thread, given QD's past history, that the model is there at all indicates it was likely planned and then axed so you can bet your showerheads that it was somewhere in her original contract).

What do her real assets look like?

jYONXiD.jpg

synce

I don't know what's sadder, the people who were desperate enough to dig for this stuff or the game designer who decided to draw nipples on her when there's no nudity in the game.

HeelPower

Its absolutely cage's fault for including it in the game at all.I mean wtf he has no respect at all for the actress ?

shitty script, shitty game and now unwanted damage for the actress's image.

pretty sure she got tricked into thinking that was safe enough not to appear nude on screen.she probably didn't recognize the risk.cage shouldda known better.

Black-Box

Yeah, those tits certainly aren't a 25-27year olds.

Which begs the question why David Cage even modeled them in the first place. Pervert.

I believe all models that have different clothing option would have a nude base model. Just easier way to model clothing.

EvB

Stupid of QD to go out and do this.They should have known someone would extract it.

Funny thing is that it is possibly someone internally as it was done on a dev kit and from dev code from the looks of it.

Beyond is M-rated and plenty of M-rated games have shown boobs. GTA even showed full cock.

Ridiculous!

The number of polygons you need to properly model a cock is way too high. It's never worth the hit you take in GPU usage that could be put to better use putting more detail and polish on a sweet, sweet ass shot. Technically speaking, I mean.

There's nothing wrong with nude scenes in a movie. It merely adds to the authenticity of eg an intimate moment (after all, you wouldn't expect people in real life to be all bashful and cover themselves up even though they are willing to sleep with whoever might see them). You just have to make sure that it's done in a mature way.

As for this whole nipple discussion - I've never quite understood why it isn't considered nudity until you get exposed nipples (kinda like you could show as much skin as you wanted as long as you censor the nipples or block them from view).

But it's the same for this shower scene. It shows a young woman who's about to have a date with her love interest and is insecure about how she's going to impress him.

Shower scenes usually are both a display of vulnerability and intimate safety. So it totally fits the theme of the moment. For all the crap that David Cage (rightfully) gets for the trash that he dresses up as anything but a mediocre movie, this scene really has it's place.

Chev

Funny thing is that it is possibly someone internally as it was done on a dev kit and from dev code from the looks of it.
No, we've been over this before, the sites reporting abut the dev kit have got it wrong, instead, it's a simple config file manipulation that can be done on any modded PS3 able to run game copies. The file's clearly named and in plain text, it's not rocket science, anyone looking at the directory is likely to catch it.

iammeiam

This is just creepy. If I were Ellen Page, this might put me off working in games forever.

It might be a deterrent to actresses in general licensing their appearance to games without explicitly including "and don't model what you think I look like naked, either." clauses. It being a digital model and not actually her isn't going to decrease the creep factor, given how heavily her likeness is used to promote the game.

But, y'know, shame on her for not wanting to be officially attached to a topless shower scene. How prudish to want some control over how her likeness is used.

Chev

But, y'know, shame on her for not wanting to be officially attached to a topless shower scene. How prudish to want some control over how her likeness is used.
You're saying that as if they did it behind her back but since both of QD's previous games did feature fully modeled nudity you can bet in was in the contract in some way.

It wasn't someone internally, the QA menu can be enabled through some clever modification of files. If I can figure it out, I'm pretty sure someone else has as well. I've been using it to take portrait shots of all the characters in Beyond.
i0U0tb5FChnz1.png

I wouldn't know that there are nude pics of Ellen Page if weren't for this thread and I'm a pretty well informed gamer. Good job Sony.

elektrixx

Banned
I still don't get what is so damaging and bad here. I mean we are all nude under our clothes. Granted we don't show it to the public but it isn't even a real video or photo of her. Just some digital model. Besides, I am sure you can find much worse photoshoped images of her in the internet.
The difference is that this is the official product created by the developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom