• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tries to stop nude images from Beyond: Two Souls from spreading online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo Punk

Why would they even create a nude model if they were never going to use it. Did they seriously think it would never leak out? Dumb asses.

I think it's a publicity stunt to get people interested in that sorry ass of a game.

Majukun

Yes but after Hot Coffee the ESRB made it perfectly clear that this sort of non-disclosure can never happen again:

Going forward, the ESRB will now require all game publishers to submit any pertinent content shipped in final product even if is not intended to ever be accessed during game play or remove it from the final disc. Furthermore, the ESRB calls on the computer and video game industry to proactively protect their games from illegal modifications by third parties, particularly when they serve to undermine the accuracy of the rating.

And the ESRB guidelines state that any non-disclosure will be punishable:

where the ESRB enforcement system allows for the imposition of harsh sanctions (e.g., fines up to $1 million, product recall, the stickering of product throughout all retail outlets) for instances of significant or egregious content non-disclosure. Less serious violations of ESRB content disclosure guidelines can result in the assignment of points, fines, and mandated corrective actions, and are effective disincentives for noncompliance.

No matter which way you look at it, Sony should in theory get fined or at least slapped on the wrist for this (according to ESRB policies).

but in this case you need a debug unit,something that is not avaiable to public,at least not normally

also,didn't we already had something similiar in the last game made by Cage?

Just seen the pics... meh.

Why would they even create a nude model if they were never going to use it. Did they seriously think it would never leak out? Dumb asses.

I think it's a publicity stunt to get people interested in that sorry ass of a game.

Everything is a conspiracy here huh?

fvng

You can't seriously be that cynical.

StuBurns

Banned
We know that Sony definitely censored it from a few articles a month ago, we just don't know which parts for sure.
Those articles seem like bullshit retrospectively, because they claimed the US version had less nudity, and neither of them have any.

Beyond is the same rating as Heavy Rain, which has extremely blatant nudity, and having a nude Page would have caused much more twitter talk. Sony would never have censored it for any sort of marketing reason. Even the way the scenes play out, they clearly didn't just remove shots of nudity, because they're specifically doing that cliche thing of putting cameras in ways that just obscure her nipples perfectly every time.

The actress has also not appeared nude in films, so presumably she wouldn't do so for a video game (but yeah, who knows about that, we can't really say.).

It's not impossible Sony are responsible, but there's really no good reason to think they are, it's certainly far from a fact.

Endo Punk

You guys seriously believe Sony thought the pics would never leak out? Are they that naive, I mean what in gamings history lead them to believe the nude pics would never be seen by the masses? If it's made it will be seen. They only have themselves to blame.

you_have_no_power_here_1099446685.jpg

So perfect haha

You guys seriously believe Sony thought the pics would never leak out? Are they that naive, I mean what in gamings history lead them to believe the nude pics would never be seen by the masses? If it's made it will be seen. They only have themselves to blame.

Yoshida_sleeps.jpg

He's missed the memo.

lol it's like when Ken Levine asked people to stop making Elizabeth fan fiction on Deviant Art. It's a fight you can NOT win.

When it comes to the internet and nudity you're basically fucked

Ithil

Hey they got Ellen Page for the game they're going to get their money's worth.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
How do you know Sony didn't submit this content? I don't think it would change the ESRB description.

but in this case you need a debug unit,something that is not avaiable to public,at least not normally

also,didn't we already had something similiar in the last game made by Cage?

The Esrb policy states that they care about whats on the disk period, not just what's normally accessible by players. And if Sony submitted it, Nudity should be listed in the content description, no?

For the record, I'm not advocating that Sony be fined or whatever. I'm just honestly curious whether the ESRB enforces their "Hot Coffee" rule. My gut instinct is no but I suppose we'll see with this controversy blooming.

StuBurns

Banned
You can't access the stuff in the game with a regualr unit. You need a debug unit.
It doesn't matter, the rating is for inaccessible content too since the Hot Coffee drama. In fact, the rating is even for DLC that's not on the disc.

Regardless, boobs don't warrant AO.

shandy706

"Sony Tries to stop..."

Goes to google...(typing sounds)

Nope...still there. Very accurate/detailed proportions wise....expected some goofy model for some reason.

So in your opinion, sony should have anticipated that the game would get hacked?
They also should not have digitally created the whole character, just the part that we can see?

I'm not downplaying your opinion, I'm actually curious about what you think should have been done during development here.

fvng

Who wears pasties or bikini in the shower?

It wouldn't be shown in game, instead as a precaution in case the game was hacked. The player wouldn't see a bikini from the angles during the cut scene.

Games are inevitably hacked. No avoiding it

Yeah that's another thing that was fof to me. Why add nipples and fully modeled breasts if they were never meant to be seen?

At least in Mass Effect when you glitched to see Liara's boobs they didn't have nipples or anything

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe sony is creating this move to advertise the game. Neogaf and people everywhere is talking about this game now due to this news, not knowing they are help spreading the words for the existance of the game.

Putting the "Streisand effect" to good use here

Chev

You can't access the stuff in the game with a regular unit. You need a debug unit.
Actually a regular unit hacked to play pirated isos will do just fine. It's not some mighty hack on steroids, it's one line to change in a text config file to enable the in-game QA menu.

Yeah that's another thing that was fof to me. Why add nipples and fully modeled breasts if they were never meant to be seen?
As mentioned several times already you're assuming it was never meant to be seen, while the reasonable assumption would be they considered having nudity and changed their minds late during development, at which point everything was already modeled.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

At least in Mass Effect when you glitched to see Liara's boobs they didn't have nipples or anything

Raiden didn't have a dick under those hands either !

Actually a regular unit hacked to play pirated isos will do just fine. It's not some mighty hack on steroids, it's one line to change in a text config file to enable the in-game QA menu.

Still, you have to modify the console, right?

I don't think there's a lot of people doing that on a PS3. Here in Brazil pirates are all about the 360.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I take it you haven't played neither?

I try to respect every opinion here, but shitting on a game you haven´t played makes you look stupid.

I haven´t played Beyond yet, but Heavy Rain is def. not boring.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but if any game could ever be called "boring", it would be it. If it didn't compel me with its mystery, I would never touch it. The games "gameplay" was terrible and to anyone who did not enjoy the story, would likely have been boring as hell to sit through.

Endo Punk

So in your opinion, sony should have anticipated that the game would get hacked?
They also should not have digitally created the whole character, just the part that we can see?

I'm not downplaying your opinion, I'm actually curious about what you think should have been done during development here.

If they created nude scenes I am guessing Ellen gave them permission? Then it was really pathetic of them to not include it in the game just to reach a bigger audience. And this decision can't be made in a day. They may have known it was going to get cut months in advance, so why didn't they take proper measures, even cut/delete these scenes outright? It's just really fishy.

Vaiim

The boobs are kinda meh, which is doubly insulting to Miss Page.

Seriously though, I just feel sorry for the gal - regardless of whether it's her body or not, she trusted the devs, and they did something that was damaging and insulting to her.

The boobs are kinda meh, which is doubly insulting to Miss Page.

Seriously though, I just feel sorry for the gal - regardless of whether it's her body or not, she trusted the devs, and they did something that was damaging and insulting to her.

Yeah the devs really should've had more sense, it was inevitable that people out there would try to get a look at a bit more of her. Sony's probably worried about legal threats now.

Chev

It is, in fact, ESRB's very official opinion on those kind of incidents since the hot coffee case, yeah - if it's on the disk, assume it's viewable, so if you don't want it to be seen don't include it.

If they created nude scenes I am guessing Ellen gave them permission? Then it was really pathetic of them to not include it in the game just to reach a bigger audience. And this decision can't be made in a day. They may have known it was going to get cut months in advance, so why didn't they take proper measures, even cut/delete these scenes outright? It's just really fishy.

Not sure about the permission part since it's not her body, just her head.

As for not including it in the game, well, what good would that do?
People always complain about unnecessary nudity and sex in games. Would a nude scene make the game story/plot development better? I don't think so, but I haven't played the game yet.

Also, it's not like these scenes were cut. People are using debug units to access different angles of the same scene, man.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but if any game could ever be called "boring", it would be it. If it didn't compel me with its mystery, I would never touch it. The games "gameplay" was terrible and to anyone who did not enjoy the story, would likely have been boring as hell to sit through.

Well, I guess you are right. But if you don't like the story you shouldn't even be playing it.
The whole thing is a "story driven interactive drama", right? Story IS going to be the focus of the game.
Aside from that, it's a puzzle game, and those can be boring for a lot of people.

Chuck

Still without luck
You know what is unecessary and in all of David Cages crappy games? A shower scene. He acts like it's some sort of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom