• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tries to stop nude images from Beyond: Two Souls from spreading online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

So after The Last of Us and now Beyond.. Ellen Page is pretty much done with videogames I'm guessing, right?

You know what is unecessary and in all of David Cages crappy games? A shower scene. He acts like it's some sort of necessity.

Yeah they feel really pervy to play and I've never sat down and thought "this really adds to the believability of this game's world"

Chev

You know what is unecessary and in all of David Cages crappy games? A shower scene. He acts like it's some sort of necessity.
"i'm a gamer, the only showers I want to see are showers of blood!", right? Geez, there's less outrage over people getting decapitated in plain sight, heaven forbid a videogame woman hides some skin under her clothes.

I take it you haven't played neither?

I try to respect every opinion here, but shitting on a game you haven´t played makes you look stupid.

I haven´t played Beyond yet, but Heavy Rain is def. not boring.

Out of curiosity, what in my statement makes you think I haven't played HR? "Looks" is the only descriptor I can use because I haven't played B2S.

Loathed Heavy Rain. Saw screenshots, videos, told myself it wasn't something I'd enjoy and usually "GAF darlings" like Demon's Souls have done me right.

Put a couple hours into HR, JASON, JASON, JASON, and some detective work and FBI guy, not sure how far I got honestly, it was a COMPLETE bore. And I'm not the type to need 'shoot, shoot, bang, bang' for a game to be 'fun'. It just did not click for me AT ALL. And seeing this shower scene be basically the same exact type of "gameplay" ... I couldn't imagine even the finest, well thought-out, and executed story (which I have read it's not) being able to make me enjoy it.

Have I played B2S? No. And I never will. Have I played HR? Yep. For a few hours and I do not look back on that time fondly.

masterkajo

It is his art and he can do it if he wants. I personally appreciate them. It gives you the feeling these are real characters with human desires and needs. If it benefits the character and story, I am all for it.

This is just creepy. If I were Ellen Page, this might put me off working in games forever.

I still don't get what is so damaging and bad here. I mean we are all nude under our clothes. Granted we don't show it to the public but it isn't even a real video or photo of her. Just some digital model. Besides, I am sure you can find much worse photoshoped images of her in the internet.

If they created nude scenes I am guessing Ellen gave them permission? Then it was really pathetic of them to not include it in the game just to reach a bigger audience. And this decision can't be made in a day. They may have known it was going to get cut months in advance, so why didn't they take proper measures, even cut/delete these scenes outright? It's just really fishy.
They likely started modelling her and then they got the memo that Page doesn't allow nudity, so they stopped and changed the camera angles. Development process is messy, they probably just forgot to change the model again.

The boobs are kinda meh, which is doubly insulting to Miss Page.

Seriously though, I just feel sorry for the gal - regardless of whether it's her body or not, she trusted the devs, and they did something that was damaging and insulting to her.
I doubt she cares that much. It's just as insulting as photoshops.

Don't play Bayonetta or Metal Gear Solid

That's not really the same thing. Those are wacky worlds to begin with where Cage is trying to sell a far more realistic experience and I just don't feel like extended shower scenes (Male or Female) add to what he's going for

This whole thing reminds me of Metro Last Light's nude models though (NSFW obviously) Which are by far the most detailed unecessary models in any game ever

Banned
Sorry sony, but this sort of thing is beyond your control (pun completely intended)

I'm so sorry.

So, if you're concerned about that, why model her completely in the first place? If you do not intend to show the brests, why don't you just... not model them at all? Had they not modelled the breasts, hackers couldn't just move the camera to look at them.

Exactly. Not to mention that even if they aren't intended to be seen, the fact that they're present necessitates a stricter age rating. Remember the Hot Coffee incident in GTA: San Andreas?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I know they were trying to be realistic and all but her in game model is unflattering to say the least.

Well this is dumb.

If the nips are not uses in the game then why model nips? Quantic Dream you bunch of pervs!

If Ellen Page didnt agree to it then I can see her sueing.

LiK

Heh, even digital celebrity boobs are being treated like real ones. What an age we live in.

Exactly. Not to mention that even if they aren't intended to be seen, the fact that they're present necessitates a stricter age rating. Remember the Hot Coffee incident in GTA: San Andreas?

Beyond is M-rated and plenty of M-rated games have shown boobs. GTA even showed full cock.

RM8

How is this thread not about the scene being a QTE for drying off? I found that funnier (judging by the comments, can't watch at work).

BigDug13

I know they were trying to be realistic and all but her in game model is unflattering to say the least.

Haha yeah. Maybe she's pissed because those pictures are so unflattering and now people will associate those as what she looks like naked. I thought the naked in-game model looked weird and I would be surprised if that's what her nude body really looked like.

OnPoint

Haha yeah. Maybe she's pissed because those pictures are so unflattering and now people will associate those as what she looks like naked. I thought the naked in-game model looked weird and I would be surprised if that's what her nude body really looked like.
I guess she'll have to prove everyone wrong with a nude photoshoot then. No other way.

I don't know what's more depressing: People getting off on some nude model without a vagina, or people being offended prudes at the inclusion of nude shower scenes in a game like this where they have to try to turn even the most mundane shit into gameplay in order for people not to fall asleep or forget that they're supposed to interact with what's on the screen.

eival

i like how more noise has been made about this, rather than the crap which was still in the game.

like the fact if you agree to make your $10 by agreeing to go behind the building with the guy, she just refuses on her own via cutscene once you get back there, reminding you that your actions are meaningless and its just another pretentious david cage "movie", then to top it off, after the guy gets mad(understandable) even if you dont use Aiden to force him to stop, he just stops on his own and walks away saying "you're lucky im not angry"

then you're forced to get money the way David Cage, wants you to get money

but stealing from an ATM or newspaper machine is apparently morally and legally more respectable than prostitution.

on to the next chapter where you'll do what David Cage wants you to do, but with feint "illusions of choice" sprinkled in to make it seem like what you're doing is important.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Honestly, the best thing for Sony/Ellen Page in this scenario is that the game was a PS3 exclusive. It's notoriously difficult for people to write extractor tools/rip models from games on that system. If this was cross platform that model would've been online before this story even broke.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I can't actually believe that the EU rating would have been 18+ because some tits. Last week i watched a french movie on TV at primetime that featured real fucking, sucking etc. everything exposed. We don't care much about nudity.

At least the model has THE GAP.

Riposte

So this is basically like the fakecelebs nonsense that floods my image search when I google naked celebrities. IF I were to google naked celebrities, I mean.

There's really no point to that shower scene outside showing Ellen Page-like rubbing her legs and stuff, is there?

StuBurns

Banned
The shower scene people have been using for the nude pics is gratuitous, but the other one has some story merit. To disrupt a person when they're at their most self-conscious is a fairly common trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom