• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, I need Smash X PlayStation All-Stars.

mindsale

We've seen myriad crossovers of Musou. Lego games where Doctor Who can battle GlaDOS. Capcom Vs Everyone Except Cereal Mascots. Mario & Sonic. Nintendogs & Nintencats. Mega Man and Bayonetta and Snake and Cloud Strife in Smash Bros.

I need... It.

The crossover to end all crossovers.

PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale X Super Smash Brothers.

Picture it.

Bowmasters Aloy Vs BotW Link.
Pure id matchup Crash Bandicoot Vs Donkey Kong.
Graffiti artist Inklings Vs small-time rapper PaRappa.
Grizzled widowers Joel Vs Cranky Kong.
Guitarists KK Slider Vs Um Jammer Lammy.
Snake Vs Raiden.
Amorphous blobs Kirby Vs LocoRoco.
Svengalis Pikmin vs Patapon.

Here's a contemporary Sony roster to consider:

Adult Ellie - The Last of Us Part II
Aloy - Horizon Zero Dawn
Bentley - Sly Cooper
Captain Quark - Ratchet & Clank
Chloe Frazier - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Cole MacGrath - Infamous
Colonel Radec - Killzone 2
Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot
Dart Feld - Legend of Dragoon
Delson Rowe - Infamous
Diver - Abzu
Elena Fisher - Uncharted
Fat Princess - Fat Princess
"Fetch" Walker - Infamous
Gallahad - The Order 1886
Ico & Yorda - Ico
Isi - The Order 1886
Jak, Daxter - Jak and Daxter
Jodi Holmes - Beyond Two Souls
Joel - The Last of Us
Joseph Cappelli - Resistance III
Kara - Detroit, Become Human
Kat - Gravity Rush
Knack - Knack
Kratos - God of War
Kratos - God of War (2017 - assuming he no longer wields Chains of Chaos)
Lammy - Um Jammer Lammy
LocoRoco - LocoRoco
Madison Paige - Heavy Rain
Maya "Echo" Visari - Killzone Shadow Fall
Murray - Sly Cooper
Nariko - Heavenly Sword
Nathan Drake - Uncharted
Nathan Hale - Resistance
Nefarious - Ratchet & Clank
Nil - Horizon Zero Dawn
Parappa - PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon - Patapon
Pilot - Wipeout
Psycho - Until Dawn
Rau - Mark of Kri
Raven - Gravity Rush
Ratchet & Clank - Ratchet & Clank
Revenant (player character) - Bloodborne
Robbit - Jumping Flash
Scott Shelby - Heavy Rain
Tati - Mark of Kri II
Trico - The Last Guardian (this will be Sony's Ridley - "too big," they'll cry)
Sackboy LittleBigPlanet
Scarf Folk - Journey
Sir Daniel Fortesque - MediEvil
Sly Cooper - Sly Cooper
Spike - Ape Escape
Sweet Tooth - Twisted Metal
Toro Inoue - Doko Demo Issyo
Victor Sullivan - Uncharted
Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
Yunica - Gravity Rush
Zeus - God of War

Who's your dream matchup in this scenario?
Will Sony ever attempt a mascot 2D platform brawler again?
Has Sony's stable of characters increased enough over the past 5 years to warrant another attempt, with more closely-aligned Smash ring-out mechanics?
Can't we just them together, finally?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Has Sony's stable of characters increased enough over the past 5 years to warrant another attempt, with more closely-aligned Smash ring-out mechanics?

I don't think lack of characters is the issue, moreso the fact that PS Smash played liked shit.

You could have an arena fighter full of blank stickmen and it could be the greatest thing ever if it played like it.

Tratorn

It would really be awesome, but sadly it will never happen as long as both are platform manufacturers.

But man, just think about the reactions if something like this would be announced...
Esspecially with PS4 / Switch crossplay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What does Nintendo gain from any of this?

Heck Smash has already plucked big Sony associated names like Cloud and Snake.

Kthulhu

I don't know why Sony hasn't made another serious attempt to have a big crossover game.

Nintendo, Microsoft (to an extent), Blizzard, and Sega have all done it.

And it will run on this
nintendo-playstation-sfx-100-prototype.jpg

I got PlayStation All-Stars on the Vita recently, and I was sort of baffled of how good it was. Granted I paid like 3 dollars, but the combo system is fun enough for me to go back to it. It really begs for a sequel.

If that sequel was a Smash crossover, it would be amazing, but Smash is a huge seller, and PlayStation Allstars has a small dedicated fan base at most. Chibi Robo vs. Knack will probably always be a pipedream.

Caayn

I'd rather just see Crash in Smash.

It's probably because I wasn't very playstation minded during the PS1 and PS2 era that most of the names you listed mean nothing to me. I can't think of enough characters owned by Sony, or MS for that matter, to create a Smash style fighter. The cast of Playstation all stars also wasn't very appealing.

Tratorn

See PASBR reception.

He said serious attempt. ;)
This would of course need the investment to bring the real PS classics into the game and not to just use the game to sell upcoming games. Still have to laugh about the fact that Big Daddy was in there, but like 80% of the chars that people would expect in a game like this were not.

I don't think lack of characters is the issue, moreso the fact that PS Smash played liked shit.

You could have an arena fighter full of blank stickmen and it could be the greatest thing ever if it played like it.
It didn't play like shit, it just finished like shit.

In their quest to make it unique they made it boring to win.

mindsale

I got PlayStation All-Stars on the Vita recently, and I was sort of baffled of how good it was. Granted I paid like 3 dollars, but the combo system is fun enough for me to go back to it. It really begs for a sequel.

If that sequel was a Smash crossover, it would be amazing, but Smash is a huge seller, and PlayStation Allstars has a small dedicated fan base at most. Chibi Robo vs. Knack will probably always be a pipedream.

The movesets are amazing, the game's biggest flaw was its dispatch mechanics, they were total shit. It was like in Smash if you could only KO someone with a Final Smash, and there were huge disparities in their effectiveness.

Kthulhu

He said serious attempt. This would of course need the investment to bring the real PS classics into the game and not to just use the game to sell upcoming games. Still have to laugh about the fact that BigDaddy was in there, but like 80% of the chars that people would expect in a game like this were not.

It always baffled me that fucking Issac Clark from Dead Space was a DLC character and he ends up fighting Zeus from God of War.

The only way this would ever at all happen is for Nintendo to bail out of the console industry and become a third party developer like SEGA.

Lkr

We've seen myriad crossovers of Musou. Lego games where Doctor Who can battle GlaDOS. Capcom Vs Everyone Except Cereal Mascots. Mario & Sonic. Nintendogs & Nintencats. Mega Man and Bayonetta and Snake and Cloud Strife in Smash Bros.

I need... It.

The crossover to end all crossovers.

PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale X Super Smash Brothers.

Picture it.

Bowmasters Aloy Vs BotW Link.
Pure id matchup Crash Bandicoot Vs Donkey Kong.
Graffiti artist Inklings Vs small-time rapper PaRappa.
Grizzled widowers Joel Vs Cranky Kong.
Guitarists KK Slider Vs Um Jammer Lammy.
Snake Vs Raiden.
Amorphous blobs Kirby Vs LocoRoco.
Svengalis Pikmin vs Patapon.

Who's your dream matchup in this scenario?
Will Sony ever attempt a mascot 2D platform brawler again?
Can't we just them together, finally?
which game is this and how did i miss it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What you mean is you want Smash as it it right now + your favorite 3rd Party character.

Kthulhu

which game is this and how did i miss it?

I believe they are referring to Lego Dimensions. A toys to life game with like, every character Lego has made a toy of.

You can play as Lego Sonic and Lego Gandalf in the same game.

You are dangerously close to rediscovering one of my top game ideas involving Smash gameplay.

Regarding PSASBR itself, it pops up a lot on GAF. Currently I think the top problem Sony has with massive crossover party game idea, regardless of genre or specific mechanics, is that they don't really push local multiplayer at all anymore.

Regarding Sony characters fighting Nintendo characters... eh, I'm not really

patapuf

He said serious attempt. ;)
This would of course need the investment to bring the real PS classics into the game and not to just use the game to sell upcoming games. Still have to laugh about the fact that Big Daddy was in there, but like 80% of the chars that people would expect in a game like this were not.

Almost all of those are 3rd party though and can end up in smash without the whole sony vs nintendo thing. As the appearence of Snake, Ryu and Cloud shows.

For some reason, the eclectic line-up seems to work for Nintendo characters, but not for Sony characters. I can look at more realistic characters like Link and Samus alongside Pikachu and Kirby and not bat an eye. But PaRappa next to Nathan Drake just looks... weird?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why would you want another game riddled with predictably dull, bland, forgettable Sony properties and phoned in B-tier afterthought contributions from third parties???

What have you done OP? You just created another PSABR thread where we learn it is trash and failed because it is too much like Smash Brothers and not enough like Smash Brothers.

Trago

Licensing nightmare I imagine. Otherwise, I'd be down. Hell, throw Microsoft in there too with some characters. I want Banjo in Smash.

Top Bottom